NDR: Our Sport...Our Passion: Fans Around the World

Discussion in 'Houston Dynamo' started by The_Ponce, Dec 7, 2011.

1. The_Ponce

The_Ponce Co-President of the United States of Dynamo

Feb 21, 2011
    Houston, Texas, U.S.
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  2. Heft

Heft BigSoccer Supporter

Mar 20, 2011
    Houston
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
  3. brahmafutbol

brahmafutbol Member+

Jan 29, 2006
    East Bernard, Texas
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    http://www.socceramerica.com/article/55281/what-theyre-saying.html

4. Heft

Heft BigSoccer Supporter

Mar 20, 2011
    Houston
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
  5. brahmafutbol

brahmafutbol Member+

Jan 29, 2006
    East Bernard, Texas
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    #180 brahmafutbol, Dec 8, 2013
    Last edited: Dec 8, 2013
    Yeah I was wondering the same thing. He didn't look good....

I also read where they refused to sell tickets to women and children because they were expecting violence. And yet they didn't have security. The police said that even if they had been there, there wasn't anything they could have done. They said that these guys are Brazilian, and when Brazilians want to fight, they will. Not exactly the attitude you want to hear before heading there for the WC. And especially the inability of the police to control their fans.

6. Westside Cosmo

Westside Cosmo Member+

Oct 4, 2007
    H-Town
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    So what's the deal with all of the fans fighting with no shirt on? Is that like some sort of strategy, like when a hockey player tries to wriggle out of his jersey so the other guy can't grab on to him? (harder to do now with NHL uniform rules).

Have relatives who travel around the world and told me they never felt less safe than Rio. South Africa seems safer.

*rey* repped this.
  7. DNez2001

DNez2001 Member

Nov 30, 2006
    Houston 'burb
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I had the pleasure a couple of years ago to watch a Corinthians match in Sao Paolo. My wife and I actually scalped duckets in the parking lot and wore our Dynamo jerseys in (after making sure orange wasn't a bad color for the locals). We sat up high in the corner of the pitch. What was most impressive was the tivo's and the smoke bombs live. An experience.

Heft repped this.
  8. Heft

Heft BigSoccer Supporter

Mar 20, 2011
    Houston
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    #183 Heft, Dec 9, 2013
    Last edited: Dec 9, 2013
    Legio Warszawa supporters in the snow.

[​IMG]

9. CeltTexan

CeltTexan Member+

Sep 21, 2000
    Houston, TX USA
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Just wait till the mundial and when the thousands of Argie hinchas show up en masse to back their squad. I promise you there will be Brasilian vs. Argie stadium and outside stadium clashes. How big and how bad will depend on Brasilian police/organization.

Heft repped this.
  10. Heft

Heft BigSoccer Supporter

Mar 20, 2011
    Houston
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    That is for sure. They better have the armored trucks, and tear gas handy.

11. MannieG

MannieG Member+

Nov 30, 2006
    Houston
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    1 death confirmed, apparently. Not sure if it was that guy, but you're not getting up very easily asset that many stomps to the skull. MLS worries about EB, pffft

redinthemorning, JC507 and CeltTexan repped this.
  12. Heft

Heft BigSoccer Supporter

Mar 20, 2011
    Houston
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
  13. CeltTexan

CeltTexan Member+

Sep 21, 2000
    Houston, TX USA
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Great video. Aussies getting all emotional for a f'n exhibition match while singing a song pinched from the greatest team in the history of Scotland. Hahaha! Aussie soccer!

14. Heft

Heft BigSoccer Supporter

Mar 20, 2011
    Houston
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    There is not any evidence that Celtic supporters sung YNWA first. No proof at all that Glaswegians even knew the words to this musical in the 50's. There is proof that the Liverpool supporters were singing YNWA in Mersyside in the early 60's.

Football is the greatest sport ever, and the love of it transcends boundries, race, etc.

15. CeltTexan

CeltTexan Member+

Sep 21, 2000
    Houston, TX USA
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Says who?
    I ask cuz I know a chingon of Scots and Irish that would say different.

Please provide the link.

Correct.

16. Caddman

Caddman Member+

Aug 18, 1999
    Houston, Texas
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  17. redinthemorning

redinthemorning Member+

Apr 26, 2011
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Probably self-loathing from the lack of hardware.

I'm a Liverpool fan. I get to say that.

Heft repped this.
  18. Heft

Heft BigSoccer Supporter

Mar 20, 2011
    Houston
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Merseyside has a very large Irish population. There has been large influxes of Irish immigrants since the 1700's. Liverpool was the first way point for Irish immigrants to travel to N. America, and the rest of the world.

19. CeltTexan

CeltTexan Member+

Sep 21, 2000
    Houston, TX USA
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Just to define the word travel here. Ahem!
    The Fields of Athenry is about English Crown rule and their policy of "transportation" on large barges/ships to Austrailia and or the Americas for prison or slave labor after being sentenced for criminal behavior. Or as the song goes, a dude stole some corn to feed his moms and his family so they wouldn't starve. But that got him the long boat ride to never see them again.

20. Heft

Heft BigSoccer Supporter

Mar 20, 2011
    Houston
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Such a sad song. Approximately half of the immigrants out of Ireland that immigrated through Liverpool stayed in Liverpool instead of traveling on to N. America. Whether it's Glasgow, Liverpool, or Boston, the Celtic people carry the pride, culture, music, and etc with them.

My Celtic roots on my father's side are traced through Ireland. Though my forebears were Scots who were forced to leave the Highlands for backing the Bonnie Prince, and went to Ireland for a short while before heading to the east coast of the United States in the 1700's.

21. CeltTexan

CeltTexan Member+

Sep 21, 2000
    Houston, TX USA
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Awesomeness!
    That is verbatim what happend to my great grandfather! We were deep in the hills Scot Highlanders and devout Jacobites/Bonnie Prince Charlie. Had to move back to Ireland (Scotti in Latin means Irish for those reading so truth be told Land of Scot means Land of the Irish) and upon that had to Anglosize our last name from the Gaelic term to the English translation there of. Hills of White.

The foundation of our Houston supporters culture is directly pinched by taking the Kop concept from Liverpool being in masse behind one specific goal and our players aim for that way in the second half (Wade comfirmed this halfway thru our very first season), the Celtic FC way of being for immigrants and locals alike together via our football team osea Micks and Spicks juntamos a tomar y cantar! And Boca Jrs for singing all 90 minutes non stop. I never did get The Fields of Athenry in but it all worked out very well even though I think out set up was more intimidating at our old Rob than the way to FO has made it now.

Transatlantic, redinthemorning and Heft repped this.
  22. CeltTexan

CeltTexan Member+

Sep 21, 2000
    Houston, TX USA
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Another gem from new Tottenham boss Ted Lasso. Enjoy!

redinthemorning repped this.
  23. metroag

metroag Da Bomb Diggity

Mar 2, 2006
    La hacienda

true story-When Mexico was eliminated early from the lax world games (thanks to the Iroquois using outdated handwritten passports from the Res) I found myself with nothing to do for a few days so I hopped a train to Liverpool. I got to see Anfield and Goodison. I walked from Goodison (with a bag from the team shop) to Anfield. Talk about rough neighborhoods-I've felt safer off McGowen on a summer night than that neighborhood that Anfield is in. I come across a couple of guys loitering on a corner. They see the blue bag and make some comments and start following me. I turned around (sensing trouble) and explained I was off to a stadium tour of Liverpool's crib and that I just stupid yank-who is a Dynamo fan. The one guy turns to the others and says, isn't that the team Kenny's kid played for in the States? I assure him it was, they smiled and told me to have good time. Always good to name drop.

24. CeltTexan

CeltTexan Member+

Sep 21, 2000
    Houston, TX USA
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    So being a Dynamo fan since way back when King Kenny's kid played for us actually got you out of trouble?!?
    Mindblown soN!
    Between taser reports and infuritating rival league fans cuz our people are taking over their team's stadiums...jeez getting out of trouble for once is great to hear bro.

Heft repped this.
  25. Heft

Heft BigSoccer Supporter

Mar 20, 2011
    Houston
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    [​IMG]

Liverpool's away Kop at Fulham's Craven Cottage last season.

redinthemorning repped this.