NDR: Our Sport...Our Passion: Fans Around the World

Discussion in 'Houston Dynamo' started by The_Ponce, Dec 7, 2011.

1. The_Ponce

The_Ponce Co-President of the United States of Dynamo

Feb 21, 2011
    Houston, Texas, U.S.
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Houston Dynamo v. FC Dallas in the MLS Cup Final.

They might as well just book Reliant Stadium if that happens. They would have to drop ticket prices to around $15 for upper level but we would get 50-60K there. I can promise you all these soccer haters will come out of nowhere and buy tickets to an Houston team in a championship game. Then you'll get the casual fan or fan that rarely attends a game, not to mention your typical BBVA goer. All of this plus a traveling contingency of 3 Frisco fans will get a nicely packed Reliant.

2. JC507

JC507 Member+

Jan 21, 2007
    Houston
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I understand that but it does not mean anything. For example, if the texans made the Super Bowl, do you know how many people would be calling to get tickets? Most of those would be people who had never attended a game, or maybe had attended once.

3. Heft

Heft BigSoccer Supporter

Mar 20, 2011
    Houston
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Newell's Old Boy's are putting a hurting on Boca Juniors right now. 4-0 with a lot of time left. Great support they have there in Buenos Aires. Really beautiful crowd and singing at NOB...great season.

4. Heft

Heft BigSoccer Supporter

Mar 20, 2011
    Houston
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    The sad face of relegation.

Deportivo La Coruna is in some trouble. Great vid though. Heartbreaking for their very passionate fanbase.

The_Ponce and *rey* repped this.
  5. The_Ponce

Feb 21, 2011
    Houston, Texas, U.S.
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm going to say one thing. Those people that beg for relegation haven't really faced the heartache that comes along with it. If you support a club with the passion that some of us do, relegation is one of the most heartbreaking experiences you can go through. I've faced relegation with Pachuca and it's a complete 180. You go from being able to watch your team on TV to them practically being non-existent if you live outside of the city or don't have money to go to the stadium. I wouldn't want the Houston Dynamo to EVER go through that. I would ********ing cry every single day until the day they became a first division team again.

6. JC507

JC507 Member+

Jan 21, 2007
    Houston
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yea but how ********ing awesome would it be to see the Galaxy get relegated. And THAT'S why we will never have relegation in the US. Can't afford a big market team being relegated. The tv contracts would be so ********ed up in a pro/reg league.

7. El Naranja

El Naranja Member+

Sep 5, 2006
    Alief
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Half? Have we really regressed that much as an organization? It was half back in '06. They could move it to a larger venue and we'd still have majority crowd there.

redinthemorning repped this.
  8. Heft

Heft BigSoccer Supporter

Mar 20, 2011
    Houston
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Do you want me to lie to you, or tell you the truth?:p

JC507 and El Naranja repped this.
  9. ChrizG13

ChrizG13 Member+

Mar 1, 2010
    Humble
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Going back to this:

Dortmund from London is only 6.5 hours away, they have an extremely grand train system in europe and plenty of low cost air carriers.

Houston to LA? What is a flight running these days? 3-500 roundtrip? Also 1546 miles.
    Add to that a little over 2k is the only tickets they provided! I'm pretty sure more would of went if they could of obtained tickets. So yeah its not that bad especially like Ponce said for a new organization.

How many people did Dallas have for their final in toronto? I think to be fair I only saw a couple hundred!

JC507 repped this.
  10. CeltTexan

CeltTexan Member+

Sep 21, 2000
    Houston, TX USA
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Haha.
    But seriouxly.

11. brahmafutbol

brahmafutbol Member+

Jan 29, 2006
    East Bernard, Texas
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Exactly what I always say. Why would anybody in MLS want that? Look at what the Dynamo spent on facilities the past couple of years, not to mention the $ and emotion the fans have invested. Then to suddenly become all a minor league soccer team that would draw a third the number of fans so some team from Rochester could move up. Look at poor Necaxa, once a major team with a beautiful new shiny stadium, now no one hears from them anymore. It's crazy.

12. Heft

Heft BigSoccer Supporter

Mar 20, 2011
    Houston
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    As fans, I believe that we have dropped off a bit. The Dynamo organization has gotten better though.

13. troutseth

troutseth Member+

Feb 1, 2006
    Houston, TX
    I will go a step further. People who beg for relegation apparently have no sense of history nor an understanding of why relegation exists in sports. It has nothing to do with the integrity of the game nor does it have anything to do with creating an open environment. It was created for business reasons to ensure cooperation instead of competition between rival leagues. It exist today because it become part of the sports landscape in much of Europe. Just as it is not part of our landscape. There is no noble cause behind the concept, it was done for money and survival.

14. Heft

Heft BigSoccer Supporter

Mar 20, 2011
    Houston
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    I think that leagues around the world are beginning to look at the MLS model for business, because the most horrifying thing about relegation in La Liga is the specter of insolvency. European football is an arms race, and most of the clubs are in the red. Deprtivo in La Liga is in big trouble financially, and we may never see them again in the 1st division. The MLS model of business is uniquely American , but is quite interesting, and will likely not be followed until there is a major collapse, but it is designed so that teams like Real Sociedad, Valencia, do not get so deep in debt.

15. *rey*

*rey* Member+

Feb 22, 2006
    Houston
    Point taken buuuuuut you're talking to a guy that has slept in train stations in Europe and rode public transportation in South Africa in order to be able to afford a trip.* Excuses not acceptable. I mean there's friends who piled into a van to make that LA trip. I would do it anything for love (well except I won't do 'that').

*Not ego-tripping. Just saying.

ChrizG13 repped this.
  16. CeltTexan

CeltTexan Member+

Sep 21, 2000
    Houston, TX USA
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think going so corporate by our organization has put a dent into the passion and connection with our team and it reflects in lower attendance for such a quality team and great centrally located stadium.
    I mean I found out that over 1,000 STH in that last year at The Rob, did NOT for some reason, become STH at the brand new kick ass BBVA downtown.
    Apparently, they did not come back in 2013. WTF is up with that stat? I could get maybe a few hundred but over a 1,000!
    We have had over 25 FO staff members quit or be fired by our FO in the last 11 months.
    We still do not have a shirt sponsor. While not wanting to settle for Chico's Bail Bonds I woulda gone local car dealership or something over having the available walking billboard go vacant and unearning money for the first half of our season in 2012. Boca Jrs. has BBVA and if anything with our connection to BBVA, we coulda signed up BBVA La Liga or the like, SOMETHING that earns money cuz that's what us in the hinchada always here from our FO suits..."You all must make this quote" or "A kids street soccer set up on game days Sam, that costs money."

17. brahmafutbol

brahmafutbol Member+

Jan 29, 2006
    East Bernard, Texas
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Wow, that was really sad.....

18. ChrizG13

ChrizG13 Member+

Mar 1, 2010
    Humble
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

I don't doubt your fandom or anybody else's fandom who goes on this website to post (or complain) about footy! I do think it's a lot harder for us to follow our team to every city they play in.
    It's more expensive to buy MLS gear than it is to go outside Munich and buy any knockoff Jersey that looks real or any scarf from a cart on my way to the stadium (most soccer fans in Europe aren't douche bags like us they don't care if their clothes are authentic or knock-off they just want to wear the colors of the team).

I'm sure if it was financially viable people would go to a a lot of away games that aren't Cup Finals.

Examples:

Plymouth (southernmost part of England ) to Newcastle (noreastern city) is about 6.5 hours away.

From Madrid you can go to any end of Spain with max time about 5 hours and some change.

Barcelona's farthest away game is a whopping 10 hours driving.

From Turin to Naples is 6 hours From Roma everything is 5-6 hours away.

From Hamburg to Munich its almost 7 hours.

From Paris to Marseilles is almost 7 hours as well.

*All these examples are more or less the farthest away games.

What is our farthest away game? vancouver- 38 hour drive seattle, portland all above 30 hours.
    Montreal Impact 28 hour drive!!

So any one of us driving to Vancouver is like someone driving from Moscow to Madrid :thumbsup:
    No excuses Rey we can all do better and with time we will!
    Soccer is not like basketball or hockey, soccer gets to your heart and its hard to get something out of your heart!! #DaleDynamo

JC507 and brahmafutbol repped this.
  19. Westside Cosmo

Westside Cosmo Member+

Oct 4, 2007
    H-Town
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Have we really lost 25 FO folks? How many do we have to start with?

If we lost 1,000 STHs ( I assume you mean 1,000 seats) that would not surprise me - I think those last Robertson years counted the extra free seat as a season ticket.

The_Ponce repped this.
  20. The_Ponce

Feb 21, 2011
    Houston, Texas, U.S.
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    First of all, thousands of people from different nations make the same sacrifices that Rey made for a ********ING WORLD CUP! How are you going to compare traveling to a World Cup to going to a regular season game?

Also, the Dynamo are not losing any money by having the jersey blank. Greenstar still paid them for this year, and that also gave them a full season to take their time and look for better offers.

If you look at the MLS Cup Final travel thread I posted a list of multiple cities in Europe that have teams that were closer than traveling to L.A. You can practically go to any major destination and still travel less.

Yeah, I'm almost sure that they were counting the free seats like Westside Cosmo stated. Not to mention there seems to be a high turnover rate in every sports organization unless you're a higher up.

brahmafutbol repped this.
  21. el nordissimo

el nordissimo Member

Jul 31, 2008
    "018"
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

It's funny you mention that. I was at the Aztex game last weekend at House Park in Austin, and they had a little game set up at halftime in the corner. Kids were lined up 50 deep to get a chance to play 3 on 3. First to score holds the field, maximum three games. My nephew couldn't play b/c he was injured, but he was dying to get in there. Saw some kids with some pretty sick talent in that brief interlude.

I didn't recall ever seeing a small game setup at Orange Avenue, and was wondering whether the FO did anything like that.

Heft repped this.
  22. *rey*

*rey* Member+

Feb 22, 2006
    Houston
    that's it i'm co-opting the "thanks Obama!" memes:

The Dynamo won't allow activities for kids that will grow soccer and sellout BBVA each home game? Thanks Canetti!!! :thumbsup:

23. CeltTexan

CeltTexan Member+

Sep 21, 2000
    Houston, TX USA
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Our FO set up a small cage dome if you can imagine it. An orange metal hexagon like arena for 3 v 3 but it is very compact.
    I suggested some time ago that on game days our FO use that inflatable small side soccer rink and deploy that at one of the corners of the North side where there is room on the walkways. I was told that the inflatable rink had been put away as it was needing repair and old. To which I suggested just make a new rink with portable plastic walls that are cheap but effective and lay down some turf to avoid playing on cement or just go ahead and have our Houston kiddos play on cement, toughin' up our kiddos is fine with me and cheaper on the FO...which is exactly where that conversation ended. "It costs money Sam" To which I replied no shit, find a sponsor, slap their name on the set up outside the Stadium and give them all the glory for coming up with the idea for our boys and girls to be able to get small sided pick up games in come game day/celebrate it! Crickets...

24. Heft

Heft BigSoccer Supporter

Mar 20, 2011
    Houston
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
  25. redinthemorning

redinthemorning Member+

Apr 26, 2011
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team: