[NDR] Other MLS Clubs 2014

Discussion in 'Houston Dynamo' started by Heft, Jan 8, 2014.

1. Heft

Heft BigSoccer Supporter

Mar 20, 2011
    Houston
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Timothy Leiweke knows how to get the bigger names.

2. Heft

Heft BigSoccer Supporter

Mar 20, 2011
    Houston
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    It's starting to look real. Michael Bradley is likely to join Toronto FC. Possibly will be lining up with Defoe, and DeRo.

3. Heft

Heft BigSoccer Supporter

Mar 20, 2011
    Houston
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    http://espnfc.com/news/story/_/id/1674922/toronto-fc-set-acquire-michael-bradley-roma?cc=5901

Likely a short term deal to stay fit for WC2014.

4. Grimmjow316

Grimmjow316 Member+

Jun 20, 2012
    Houston, TX
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    El Salvador
    Oh how I wish we had the owners who would pull that....

Heft and Beavis Stiffler repped this.
  5. Heft

Heft BigSoccer Supporter

Mar 20, 2011
    Houston
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    I'm hearing big numbers that TFC are going to pay Bradley. He may stick around for awhile with that type of money. He wasn't making much in Europe.

6. troutseth

troutseth Member+

Feb 1, 2006
    Houston, TX
    That and MLS isn't likely to sign a short term contract . . .need time to try to get a partial ROI on an expensive player.

Heft repped this.
  7. AcetheTigah

AcetheTigah Member+

Apr 6, 2005
    Woodlands, TX
    I hear six million dollars salary - not sure over how may years plus I think they had to pay a transfer fee to the other club. It must be a total sum of 6 mil for 3 years or something like that.

The new DP businss model has them loaning these players out to defray the price tag. I guess the question is how much is Dempsey's or Bradley's salary is getting paid during their loan spells. That would then tell us what the real cost of the 'American DP' is.

8. DrLudicrous

DrLudicrous Member+

Jun 28, 2002
    Houston
    I think it's 6 million a year. I think that's what Dempsey got and Bradley is worth about the same. I'm guessing MLS/SUM are also helping out with the salary like they did with Dempsey. Or maybe they are paying the transfer fee so Toronto doesn't have to.

9. *rey*

*rey* Member+

Feb 22, 2006
    Houston
    aint that a btch! every time the Mexican National Team came through Reliant for the past 10 years money was made off Houstonians by SUM. but Seattle & Toronto are reaping the benefits? c'mon FO, AEG, de la Hoya, Brenner, Dom, the Pulp.

The_Ponce and Westside Cosmo repped this.
  10. DrLudicrous

DrLudicrous Member+

Jun 28, 2002
    Houston
    It would be nice to think that Canneti is on the phone with Altidore's agent right now offering him some of the SUM money, but that's pretty doubtful.

11. troutseth

troutseth Member+

Feb 1, 2006
    Houston, TX
    From what I understand of this new process for signing big names . . . every club has a chance to bite on a particular player provided they can pay the tab after the SUM subsidy. Of course, you need the budget room for a DP.

I am not sure having a 6 million dollar guy playing next to 45k Creavalle is Dom's style. I could be wrong though.

redinthemorning repped this.
  12. DNez2001

DNez2001 Member

Nov 30, 2006
    Houston 'burb
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    an article I was reading this morning said he was being paid just over a million at Roma, so that's quite the bump in salary!

13. troutseth

troutseth Member+

Feb 1, 2006
    Houston, TX
    It may be close to double that. If I remember correctly they report salaries POST tax; which is in the 40% range.

So probably closer to two million American. Still a nice raise.

14. Dynamo_Forever

Dynamo_Forever Member+

Aug 9, 2007
    Clear Lake, TX
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    So Toronto FC is signing Michael Bradley, Jermain Defoe, AND DeRo all this year AND is staying with-in the cap!?! I know ya'll have explained the numbers before with the allocation money and such, but it's just very hard to me to believe when we have cap issues and desperately need a striker.

The_Ponce, JC507, Heft and 2 others repped this.
  15. Grimmjow316

Grimmjow316 Member+

Jun 20, 2012
    Houston, TX
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    El Salvador
    I think everyone is waiting to see if the league picks up the tab.

*rey* repped this.
  16. Heft

Heft BigSoccer Supporter

Mar 20, 2011
    Houston
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    They will. I'd bet that they will pick up the tab for any famous player that a team is willing to pay. It's time to get some quality here before the league loses out on TV deals.

17. troutseth

troutseth Member+

Feb 1, 2006
    Houston, TX
    #17 troutseth, Jan 9, 2014
    Last edited: Jan 9, 2014
    You can run through the numbers yourself if you want. :) Signing Bradley and Defoe at big numbers doesn't mean squat because their budget hit is capped at the same amount as Davis + Rico. This is the important part. 400k and 10 million count the SAME.

So I am sure MLS picked up part of the tab, I am also sure TFC will be within the budget considering their DPs come the start of the season. *Dero will be taking a huge pay cut.

This is the part I cannot stress enough. A team with THREE DPS has the about the same budget hit as the Dynamo with Davis +OBG +Rico.

Soccergodlss repped this.
  18. *rey*

*rey* Member+

Feb 22, 2006
    Houston
    goes back to i've been saying. dump Boswell's salary and trade Brad Davis or Tally Hall for 2 MLS players making under $70k (or 1 $70k player and a draft pick you can pay the minimum) then put yourself in the conversation for Defoe's and Bradley's of the world.

The_Ponce repped this.
  19. Dynamo_Forever

Dynamo_Forever Member+

Aug 9, 2007
    Clear Lake, TX
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Na man, I trust your numbers. I'm just frustrated we can't get a big name in here, but I'm not willing to sell the house to get it. Just sign Aron Johannsson to a DP deal and I'll be perfectly happy :)

The_Ponce repped this.
  20. troutseth

troutseth Member+

Feb 1, 2006
    Houston, TX
    #20 troutseth, Jan 9, 2014
    It really isn't a question of "can't" but in my humble opinion I think it is more a preference of Dom's regarding the type of player he wants in the locker room. That is not to say any big money guy would be a problem, but rather I think Dom likes the proven blue collar guys that have either developed into MLS stars (Rico, Davis) or have the potential to be MLS stars. Just look at the current team . . rather than spend 3-4 million on one player, we have collected a future prospect in Alex, OBG, and guys like Taylor. In fact, I think our owners might secretly have preferred a 4 million dollar star as opposed to spreading extra money around our blue collar team . . they might have recovered some dough on an American star at 4 million/year. :)

*rey* repped this.
  21. Soccergodlss

Soccergodlss Member+

Jun 21, 2004
    Houston
    Club:
    FC Kaiserslautern
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I would get on without Tally and will eventually have to with Davis, but Davis is still the one that makes us tick offensively right now. We'd have to get a damn good player to get a professional, leader, and creative provider of that quality. With that said, we won't be getting much of anything for him if we don't trade him by summer so now would be the time.

*rey* repped this.
  22. Heft

Heft BigSoccer Supporter

Mar 20, 2011
    Houston
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    I think that Boniek is the new heart of this team. I think that the Dynamo can win games without Davis, but cannot without Boniek. Davis still dominates on dead ball situations, but our style of play has been more of Boniek's. I think that his contribution to creating chances has been high.

The_Ponce and *rey* repped this.
  23. Soccergodlss

Soccergodlss Member+

Jun 21, 2004
    Houston
    Club:
    FC Kaiserslautern
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think Boniek had a better second half to the season than Davis, but I don't think he is even close in terms of being a vocal leader for this team. Maybe a sale of Davis would allow for that, but as it stands I can't see it.

24. Heft

Heft BigSoccer Supporter

Mar 20, 2011
    Houston
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    #24 Heft, Jan 9, 2014
    I agree that Boniek is not the vocal leader of the team, or the captain. But he is the most dominant player on the field for long stretches of the game. He is the flashiest player, and the hardest worker. One minute he's beating players one-on-one in attack, and the next minute he's slide tackling someone near his own 18. When he's on the ball, the crowd get's audibly excited, and there's always a buzz when he's on the attack.

*EDIT
    I really don't want to take away anything from Davis, who is exceptionally skilled, and technically gifted.

The_Ponce repped this.
  25. troutseth

troutseth Member+

Feb 1, 2006
    Houston, TX
    In the short run, I would be shocked if Davis goes anywhere; in fact he is likely to retire here. That is part Dom and part his age/salary (opinion only). As Rey and I were discussing, I think the decision was made to ride the core group of guys for another year and the movement we have seen thus far is really about plugging depth holes and clearing budget space for that purpose. I would be shocked if we moved a bigger name guy at this stage (a month from the start of camp). With that in mind, the draft is approaching so anything is possible in the next week and a half. Next year . . . . . well next year could be much much more interesting. We have a larger group of guys coming up for options and contract renewals.

That being said, it would nice to see one of the younger cats step up in a leadership role in the coming season or two. Dom favors keeping a core together so one of these guys will need to take the captain mantle within a few years. By way of example, every captain we have had (with the exception of a game here or there) was from the original 2006 team. The "culture" here is just different than some places; we don't (or haven't) brought in stars that immediately usurp the captain role ala Beckham.

redinthemorning, Heft and *rey* repped this.