[NDR] NASL

Discussion in 'Houston Dynamo' started by newtex, Jun 18, 2013.

1. newtex

newtex Member+

May 25, 2005
    Houston
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Here is the fall home schedule for the San Antonio Scorpions:

Saturday, July 20 - Friendly against Dorados de Sinaloa (MEX) 7:30 pm

Saturday, August 3 - Scorpions v. Tampa Bay Rowdies 7:00 pm
    Saturday, August 17 - Scorpions v. Ft. Lauderdale Strikers 7:30 pm
    Saturday, August 31 - Scorpions v. Minnesota United 7:30 pm
    Saturday, September 21 - Scorpions v. Carolina RailHawks 7:30 pm
    Saturday, October 5 - Scorpions v. Atlanta Silverbacks 7:30 pm
    Sunday, October 13 - Scorpions v. FC Edmonton 7:30 pm
    Saturday, October 26 - Scorpions v. NY Cosmos 7:30 pm

2. El Naranja

El Naranja Member+

Sep 5, 2006
    Alief
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I wish I could be Celt and live in ye olden days where players cared about civic pride via their club team, and not a paycheck like today.

(Not to say everyone is like that, but too many are).

#AgainstModernFootball

The_Ponce repped this.
  3. CeltTexan

CeltTexan Member+

Sep 21, 2000
    Houston, TX USA
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Caring about paychecks and playing in the United States NASL should make a footballer think about local civic pride via his team...in reality that's all that our culture's lower tier players can really shout about.
    Playing/cashing checks for Chelsea is something else. As well playing in Turkey, in Brasil's first division or the Argentine Primera is something way different. Those hinchas WILL show up en masse to your training ground!

4. metroag

metroag Da Bomb Diggity

Mar 2, 2006
    La hacienda

sure-that would be a perfect world. But we live in a world where everyone cares about themselves and their paycheck. One of our own HD players once told me, it's just a business. A job like yours, except thousands of people aren't watching you all the time.

I thought it should be like Celt said with guys at smaller clubs caring more-but I met some guys from a conference side in England and they were all about making a bigger paycheck and moving up the pyramid. They could care less about the club that represented an area of 3K people.

5. Heft

Heft BigSoccer Supporter

Mar 20, 2011
    Houston
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    I think that most players see the other side of the sport, and are usually not fans. It's a business, and while they may say that they care about the company/team, they know in their head that the company/team does not care about them.It's a way of life, and their career.

Only results matter in sports. That's the bottom line, and sometime the ugly side of sports that pro athletes are all too aware of. If they start to suck, the fans will show little loyalty to them.

6. *rey*

*rey* Member+

Feb 22, 2006
    Houston
    yup, i think the modern footballer shades a bit towards the above rather than civic pride even in the USL Pro & NASL.

the only thing we can do while theyre with us is make their stay comfortable and show them so much love that they have fond memories of their playing days in Houston once they retire or move on.

shoeless and Levy2k6 repped this.
  7. CeltTexan

CeltTexan Member+

Sep 21, 2000
    Houston, TX USA
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I don't know but it appears easy to me to sort out the majority "this is how I feed my family" pro players, to the strict out for themselves mercenaries, from the other pros that really rep their respective club's crest n colors. Even more so if they grew out of the club's Academy/cantera like a Maldini or Ryan Giggs or the devotion we witness from Messi.
    I always thought that this is what seperates association football from the other sports and what has really helped turn a corner in our domestic soccer culture with our growing of our own players in that there will often be the 2 or 3 players on a team in the U.S. leagues that grew up with the team and thus relay a healthy pressure on his teammates of just what the jersey weighs in the people's hearts. Again, like I said earlier, if your USL or MLS or NASL team has very little fans than the players have very little pressure to be anything but merks.

8. shoeless

shoeless Member

Jun 28, 2011
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo

I agree with this. This is why I don't generally say that so-and-so sucks or we should get rid of a guy, at least not in public forums or public comments (you never know who might read them). I don't yell at our guys or boo them. I think it is counter-productive. I would much rather have the guys remember H-town for the good. I prefer to stay positive about this team, because when we lose it ruins my night and I'm grouchy the next day(although some say I'm grouchy all the time).

*rey* and JC507 repped this.
  9. newtex

newtex Member+

May 25, 2005
    Houston
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    http://www.nasl.com/index.php?id=3&newsid=5055

The Oklahoma City situation is far from clear with USL also announcing a team also going into OKC. There are ongoing lawsuits between the parties there.

The new proposed lineup for the NASL by 2015:

1) Atlanta Silverbacks
    2) Carolina RailHawks
    3) FC Edmonton
    4) Ft. Lauderdale Strikers
    5) Minnesota United
    6) San Antonio Scorpions
    7) Tampa Bay Rowdies
    8) New York Cosmos (starting August 2013)
    9) Indy Eleven (2014)
    10) Ottawa Fury (2014)
    11) Virginia Calvary (2014)
    12) Oklahoma City FC (2015)
    13) Jacksonville (2015)

Still no official word on the Puerto Rico Islanders.

10. Heft

Heft BigSoccer Supporter

Mar 20, 2011
    Houston
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    I was at the OKC FC match this past weekend in Oklahoma City when they played the Houston Dutch Lions. They have clean facilities, great sponsors, and great support. I was impressed with OKC FC's organization.

11. newtex

newtex Member+

May 25, 2005
    Houston
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Interesting. The NASL has announced their 2014 format. I was wondering how they would accommodate the increased number of teams.
    Pretty good solution although it seems strange that the team that wins the Spring sprint will still get to host the championship game.
    I guess they could probably keep this structure in 2015 with 13 teams. That would mean 12 games in the Spring and then 24 in the Fall. That is probably still doable.

http://rowdiessoccer.com/index.php?id=52&newsid=5062

12. troutseth

troutseth Member+

Feb 1, 2006
    Houston, TX
    Yep, seems pretty good although I tend to agree the winner of the longer season should host.

redinthemorning and Beavis Stiffler repped this.
  13. newtex

newtex Member+

May 25, 2005
    Houston
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    The Puerto Rico Islanders are out for the 2014 spring season. And will have to re-enter NASL as an expansion teams if they want back in.

http://the11.ca/2013/08/19/nasl-com...xpansion-process-edmonton-meetings-went-well/

14. The_Ponce

The_Ponce Co-President of the United States of Dynamo

Feb 21, 2011
    Houston, Texas, U.S.
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Well they did wait...

15. Beavis Stiffler

Beavis Stiffler Member+

May 14, 2011
    Naranja With Attitude. Straight Outta Houston.
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    Philippines
    This is a big blow to soccer's growth and popularity in Boricua land.

16. newtex

newtex Member+

May 25, 2005
    Houston
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    The Cosmos are back!
    11,929 for their home opener on August 3. That was declared a sell-out for the stadium at Hofstra.

Whoops. Maybe not.
    6,852 for their second home game on August 24.

Meanwhile, the SA Scorpions are now 0-4 on the fall season.

*rey* repped this.
  17. The_Ponce

Feb 21, 2011
    Houston, Texas, U.S.
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    SA Scorpions coach as been fired.

18. Beavis Stiffler

Beavis Stiffler Member+

May 14, 2011
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    Philippines
    Are they going to hire John Spencer or maybe offer Paul Dalglish to leave the Austin Aztex and to go coach in the Alamo City?

19. newtex

newtex Member+

May 25, 2005
    Houston
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    An assistant is taking over of the rest of this season.

http://www.sascorpions.com/team-new...ch-duties-name-alen-marcina-iterim-head-coach

20. txsn

txsn Member+

Jan 22, 2008
    Texas
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    What are your thoughts on players moving from NASL to MLS. Thoughts on a guy like Hans Denissen. Has 12 goals this year.

21. *rey*

*rey* Member+

Feb 22, 2006
    Houston
    I've always had the idea that the Dynamo should invite the #1 and #2 NASL leading scorers to February camp as trialists. I know some of these guys are has beens or never will bees, but you never know if you can ride one of these guys for minutes and goals or worse case scenario, depth.

troutseth repped this.
  22. newtex

newtex Member+

May 25, 2005
    Houston
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    I grew up in Indiana and soon I will have a "home" team in NASL. The new Indy Eleven has announced their inaugural jerseys for next season but not which one will be their primary shirt. Help me out and vote for blue. Not that red like what is worn by those uncreative wannabes down in Bloomington. Seriously, they stole their nickname from the state and have no mascot. None. Anyway, vote for blue! BTW, no current team in the NASL has red-white-and-blue as their colors. And none wears a primary blue shirt.

[​IMG]

http://indyeleven.com/2014-home-jersey-poll/

Beavis Stiffler repped this.
  23. Beavis Stiffler

Beavis Stiffler Member+

May 14, 2011
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    Philippines
    I say blue kits for home and red kits on the road. If they have a 3rd kit, I'm guessing it's all-white.

I wonder if people of Indianapolis will accept this club because Indy's colors resemble the Colts' division rivals, the Texans. ;):D

24. newtex

newtex Member+

May 25, 2005
    Houston
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    [​IMG]

They have already said that the white shirt will be the secondary one. Whichever one between red and blue that loses the vote will be the third shirt.

They already have 6,000 season ticket deposits for the first season. I don't think the colors are going to be a barrier. I don't know of anyone in Indianapolis that thinks of the Texans as a real rival. The Patriots are #1 by a lot. The entire crowd booed some 12 year old girl a couple of years ago who won the Punt, Pass, and Kick contest for wearing a Pats shirt onto the Colts field. The Texans might be the biggest opponent in the division right now but there are lots of Colts fans who remember the big games against the Titans a few years ago. And that goes both ways. They are probably still #2.

25. The_Ponce

Feb 21, 2011
    Houston, Texas, U.S.
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States