[NDR] 2013 FIFA Club World Cup

Discussion in 'Houston Dynamo' started by Beavis Stiffler, Dec 11, 2013.

1. Beavis Stiffler

Beavis Stiffler Member+

May 14, 2011
    Naranja With Attitude. Straight Outta Houston.
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    Philippines
    Heft repped this.
  2. Westside Cosmo

Westside Cosmo Member+

Oct 4, 2007
    H-Town
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm surprised this isn't a hot topic and event with massive ratings - I mean everyone who loves the CCL can't stop talking about how important it is. It's so massive it's on Fox Sports 2!!!

3. CeltTexan

CeltTexan Member+

Sep 21, 2000
    Houston, TX USA
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The Grand Final only draws a billion viewers........but other than that you are correct Westie.

ChrizG13 and Heft repped this.
  4. Westside Cosmo

Westside Cosmo Member+

Oct 4, 2007
    H-Town
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    How many watch in this country? Crickets?? Not concerned if all of Uganda is tuned in. If you can tell me how to monetize an MLS team playing in to to more than 20 additional season ticket sales I am all ears

5. CeltTexan

CeltTexan Member+

Sep 21, 2000
    Houston, TX USA
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    #5 CeltTexan, Dec 11, 2013
    Last edited: Dec 11, 2013
    At the peek of his Houston career, Yao helped pull in 200 million viewers over in China for each regular season Rockets game.
    Make of that what you will for marketing our city and our team.

Sure bro.
    "I guess there's one thing left to do...win the whole fuking thing"---Jake Tyalor in the greatest sports movie ever Major League

6. Westside Cosmo

Westside Cosmo Member+

Oct 4, 2007
    H-Town
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    You've provided me with a quote from a fictional character, not any rational thought on how the CWC would translate to anything tangible for MLS in a financial or rating sense (other than the prize money).

7. ChrizG13

ChrizG13 Member+

Mar 1, 2010
    Humble
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    You're kidding? If a MLS team was there it would be crazy not only for us but for the league in its entirety.

You probably haven't seen anything about it yet because people outside of their respective regions aren't too crazy about the preliminaries, the semi-finals and final is the big draw.

CeltTexan repped this.
  8. CeltTexan

CeltTexan Member+

Sep 21, 2000
    Houston, TX USA
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    What I provided to you is how us Americans approach any sporting event. I.e. we ain't here to just round out the numbers. It's called beating some other nation's champion and doing it on a global stage. Or in Texas terms WINNING AT FOOTBALL! Which if a team does it over and over our people tend to take notice.

9. madmatt621

madmatt621 Member

Jan 29, 2008
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Morocco's Raja Casablanca defeats New Zealand's Auckland City, 2-1, with a second half equalizer from Morocco's Abdelilah Hafidi to seal the win.

The CWC resumes on December 14 in the Quarter-finals when Raja Casablanca plays Mexico's Monterrey and Guangzhou Ev. of China plays Egypt's Al-Ahly.

Brazil's Atlético Mineiro waits in the Semi-finals for the Raja Casablanca-Monterrey winner while Germany's Bayern Munich waits for the Guangzhou Ev.-Al-Ahly winner.

10. Heft

Heft BigSoccer Supporter

Mar 20, 2011
    Houston
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    My money is on Bayern Munich. :geek:

Beavis Stiffler repped this.
  11. Westside Cosmo

Westside Cosmo Member+

Oct 4, 2007
    H-Town
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Oh sure, I mean there was massive interest and ratings records being smashed when RSL lost to Monterrey in the CCL final a few years back, because all 27,000 viewers in the US knew what was at stake.

Soccer fans - more than any other group - care more about making people interested in the competitions THEY think are important regardless if no one gives a crap.

12. Beavis Stiffler

Beavis Stiffler Member+

May 14, 2011
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    Philippines
    #CONCACAF4Monterrey :rolleyes::Do_O

13. CeltTexan

CeltTexan Member+

Sep 21, 2000
    Houston, TX USA
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    In cse you have not noticed, association football teaches the soccer fan that there are more than one trophy to be competed for and won each and every season.
    Other sports, specifically for us in the U.S. an Canada, there is literally just one trophy to compete for thus there are grown men that dwell on these differences between how pro men's association football is compared to what us Americans are used to.

14. Beavis Stiffler

Beavis Stiffler Member+

May 14, 2011
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    Philippines
    Bayern advance to the final.

Tomorrow will be Brazil's Atletico Mineiro vs. Morocco's Raja Casablanca.

Also on Wed., Monterrey vs. Al-Ahly (Egypt) for 5th place.

15. Penwyth

Penwyth Member

Mar 10, 1999
    Earth
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    So what metal is the fifth place medal? It goes gold, silver, bronze...then aluminum?...then tin?

16. ..Big T..

..Big T.. New Member

Jun 30, 2008
    HTOWN
    Club:
    CF Rayados de Monterrey
    Nat'l Team:
    Mexico
    Fifth place finish gets 1.5 million bucks for the team.

Rayados 5 - Al Ahly 1

*rey* repped this.
  17. The_Ponce

The_Ponce Co-President of the United States of Dynamo

Feb 21, 2011
    Houston, Texas, U.S.
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Only reason why that matters. The money prize. Just qualifying for it gets you at least a shot at another top notch player.

18. CeltTexan

CeltTexan Member+

Sep 21, 2000
    Houston, TX USA
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The Club Mundialito gives us once again a chance to watch and marvel at one of the greatest footballers of all time do his thing bro.

Sick I tell ya'! Just sick english on the dead ball hit soN!

Heft and Beavis Stiffler repped this.
  19. Heft

Heft BigSoccer Supporter

Mar 20, 2011
    Houston
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
  20. *rey*

*rey* Member+

Feb 22, 2006
    Houston
    Ha, I love the GKs hand motion after the goal. Whats the Moroccan equivalent of "no mames".

21. metroag

metroag Da Bomb Diggity

Mar 2, 2006
    La hacienda
    This entire thread mimics the arguing that was on ESPN FC yesterday.

Shaka was explaining that it was a big deal to small clubs from small countries. While Nichol and the others were like-they keep playing after UCL?

22. metroag

metroag Da Bomb Diggity

Mar 2, 2006
    La hacienda

damn-if we just got to the tournament we could finally pay for that Ching Statue outside of BBVA

23. Westside Cosmo

Westside Cosmo Member+

Oct 4, 2007
    H-Town
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I thought this tourney was for world sport domination the way Celt talked about it. Do the participating teams join together in some Voltron-style formation and fight off armies after the final?

Heft repped this.
  24. CeltTexan

CeltTexan Member+

Sep 21, 2000
    Houston, TX USA
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Like college gridiron there are "rankings" for club teams from around the planet. Various papers and websites like ours over at the CNNSI soccer site where Pachuca was there back in the mid 0t's which was crazy to think as it is rare for any teams from outside UEFA to make that top 25 list. Perhaps Boca or Inde from Brasil when they were CWC champs but Pachuca was in that list. And what team in Wildcatter Orange beat that Pachuca team ranked in the world Westie???
    Correct. Houston!
    This tournament tosses those rankings aside and allows the representing teams from each continent to actually take to the field to see who is boss because otherwise there would be no way for teams so far apart geographically to play competitive matches against each other. We would be left to like in college gridiron for generations argue and hope for a way for undefeated or worthy teams to be able to play each other to really find out who is #1 over say polls and a ranking system to declare who might be #1.

25. redinthemorning

redinthemorning Member+

Apr 26, 2011
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    After the match, the Moroccan players literally swarmed Ronadlinho just to get a piece of him (literally, they took his jersey and his cleats). Crazy.