NCAA Prediction Contest 2011

Discussion in 'Women's College' started by GoCourage, Nov 8, 2011.

1. GoCourage

GoCourage Member

May 27, 2001
    Durham, NC
    Thanks for reminding me. This is how the final scores shook out with kolabear and Justdoit finish tied with points.

Thanks everyone for participating! :)

118·Justdoit
    118·kolabear·aj/m

117·SCUFANTASTIC <- 1 first round game?

112·Paltrysum
    103·bmoline
    102·karanicole
    102·DrGoat
    98··attackerp
    95··GoCourage
    95··cpthomas·rpi
    95··4oclocksomewhere
    93··UNC4EVER
    93··theguru
    91··richmondD15
    86··socdad
    86··Norfolk
    86··BruBru
    84··WPS_Movement
    81··uscue13
    81··UncleFugly
    80··DemitriMaximoffX
    80··darntaz
    79··crazyhorse
    78··GopherBob
    74··kickithard
    74··gogogo
    73··soccershins
    73··SoccerHunter
    73··Bradleyk15
    72··nvsoccerfan
    68··Stinky·Shinguards
    67··MRAD12
    63··hykos1045
    62··IceDog
    61··iknosocr
    42··NilamCA

I think WPS_Movement's got the right attitude. Sometimes you can look brilliant picking a supposed upset. Considering the top 4 ranked teams made it through that strategy didn't work out this year.

2. Crazyhorse

Crazyhorse Member

Dec 29, 2007
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Next year's early pick: UCLA (UCLA also will finally gettur done).

West Coast again.
    The real girls play on the Westside.[/QUOTE]

Wicked cute, but the East will reign next year.

3. NilamCA

NilamCA Member

Jul 4, 2007
    Los Angeles
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    WPS Movement cool and I agree! So just move me from the bottom of the list to the top for next year:cool:.

And, to be fair to my family, I will throw in a little BLUE (Michigan). Big 10 vs Pac 12 next year.

4. paltrysum

paltrysum Member

May 19, 2010
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Get to Vegas and put down your early bet on that, Crazyhorse. Those Bruins should have a very good team. Could be their year.

5. cpthomas

cpthomas BigSoccer Supporter

Portland Thorns
    United States
    Jan 10, 2008
    Portland, Oregon
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    As Kolabear mentioned previously, it's interesting to see that the AJ/Massey system and the RPI did quite well. Also, the other resident RPI expert -- GoCourage -- did well too, although I don't know how he did his predictions.

This surprised me. It also makes me wonder how the RPI would have done if I had made site adjustments, since I think I know what the RPI site adjustment amounts should have been.

On the other hand, maybe this wasn't due to the high quality of the AJ/Massey and RPI systems but rather was due to the low quality of ...?

6. kolabear

kolabear Member+

Nov 10, 2006
    los angeles
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Hmmm! Well, maybe just low turnout...

I mentioned this over at VolleyTalk and the creator of Pablo agreed it was rather surprising.

7. cpthomas

Portland Thorns
    United States
    Jan 10, 2008
    Portland, Oregon
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    You know, there's part of the Pablo quote that I don't agree with, although maybe I'm not understanding the author.

I've done this enough to know that the mathematical rating systems are not close to perfect. They may be pretty good at defining ranges of teams, but the specific alignment of teams within the range always is highly suspect. So, if teams are within a reasonable range of each other, picking a lower-rated team over a higher-rated team is not always picking an upset. Instead, it could be identifying a weakness in the rating system.

In fact, if I'm trying to have consistently high scores in the competition, it seems to me I would not try to pick upsets at all. As the Pablo author points out, true upsets occur infrequently so trying to pick upsets overall is a losing proposition. Rather, if one uses a mathematical rating system as the base, the best approach might be to figure out where the system has problems and use your knowledge of the system to exploit those problems.

8. Crazyhorse

Crazyhorse Member

Dec 29, 2007
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Betting equals losing. Tell Vegas hello :)

9. cpthomas

Portland Thorns
    United States
    Jan 10, 2008
    Portland, Oregon
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Especially a year in advance in Division I women's college soccer. Just ask the Notre Dame fans.

10. gogogo

gogogo Member

Apr 18, 2002
    Ouch - truer words were never spoken.......of course, we're gonna win it all in 2012!

11. GoCourage

GoCourage Member

May 27, 2001
    Durham, NC
    I'm cheating a little and posting a link to the 2012 prediction contest, since I believe everyone who participated in 2011 will get an alert. Just trying to prod some of the long-time posters to join back up this year.

NCAA Prediction Contest 2012