NCAA Prediction Contest 2011

Discussion in 'Women's College' started by GoCourage, Nov 8, 2011.

1. kolabear

kolabear Member+

Nov 10, 2006
    los angeles
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Oh I didn't read this thread til now. I'll try to do something based on Massey. Even if it's late, it'll just be based on the 11/6 ratings which I already posted earlier this week. I can't answer what cpthomas said about homefield though about not converting to Albyn Jones. Best I might be able to do is to use the AJ conversion and a homefield advantage of let's say 60 points because that's what I've been using recently.

2. kolabear

kolabear Member+

Nov 10, 2006
    los angeles
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Alright, based on Massey's ratings (using an Albyn Jones scale and a 60 point homefield advantage - sorry can't think of another way of rationally doing it on the spur of the moment). It's a pretty boring selection list and misses on most of the real excitement that is sure to happen.

1st round:
    Stanford
    So Carolina
    Santa Clara
    Boston College
    Auburn
    Maryland
    Illinois
    Oklahoma St
    Virginia
    Kentucky (WSU has higher rating; homefield gives KY the advantage)
    West Virginia
    Texas A&M
    Memphis
    Louisville (Dayton has higher rating; homefield gives Louisville the advantage)
    Oregon St
    Florida St
    Wake Forest
    Boston U
    marquette
    Penn St
    North Carolina
    Baylor
    UCF
    Florida
    UCLA
    Irvine
    Miami
    Pepperdine
    Tennessee
    Milwaukee
    Kansas (Georgia, barely, has the higher rating; homefield gives KS the advantage)
    Duke

2nd round
    Stanford
    Santa Clara
    Maryland (neutral site matters here - if it was at Auburn then homefield would give them the advantage)
    OK State
    Virginia
    Texas A&M
    Memphis
    Florida St
    Wake Forest
    Penn St
    North Carolina
    Florida
    UCLA
    Pepperdine
    Milwaukee (neutral site matters here; if this was at seeded Tennessee, they would have the advantage)
    Duke

3rd round
    Stanford
    Oklahoma St
    Virginia
    Florida St
    Wake Forest
    North Carolina
    UCLA
    Duke

Final Four:
    Stanford
    Florida St
    Wake Forest
    Duke

Final:
    Stanford
    Duke

National champion:
    Stanford

Thank goodness I'm not a bettin' man.

Sidenote: off top of my hand, best dark horses (based on opportunities in the seedings):
    Illinois to advance to the quarterfinals
    Memphis to advance to....? ( a real dark horse)
    Baylor - a dark horse candidate to make the quarterfinals
    Tennessee into the 3rd round
    (Illinois St - an intriguing unknown. I think Chris at AWK is picking them for an upset in the 1st round at least.)

My personal feeling? I think at least two #1 seeds won't make it to the final four (Florida St and Wake) Thank goodness I'm not a bettin' man.

3. MRAD12

MRAD12 Member+

Jun 10, 2004
    Chicago
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    I'm not going to use an ratings or RPI's or Rankings. I'm gointg to use Gut Feeling, and see what happens.

This game is meant to be played on a grass field, 11 on 11 and a referee in the middle. Not on a computer and/or calculator:

For all its worth:

1st Round

Stanford
    South Carolina
    Santa Clara
    Boston College
    Auburn
    Maryland
    Notre Dame
    Oklahoma St.
    Virginia
    Washington St.
    Virginia Tech
    LSU
    Memphis
    Louisville
    Portland
    Florida St.
    Wake Forest
    Boston U.
    Marquette
    Army
    North Carolina
    Baylor
    FIU
    Florida
    UCLA
    UC Irvine
    Miami (FL)
    Pepperdine
    Ohio St.
    Milwaukee
    Georgia
    Duke

2nd Round

Stanford
    Boston College
    Auburn
    Notre Dame
    Virginia
    LSU
    Memphis
    Florida St.
    Wake Forest
    Marquette
    North Carolina
    Florida
    UCLA
    Pepperdine
    Milwaukee
    Duke

3rd Round

Stanford
    Notre Dame
    Virginia
    Florida St.
    Marquette
    North Carolina
    UCLA
    Duke

Final Four

Stanford
    Florida St.
    North Carolina
    UCLA

Final

Florida St.
    UCLA

National Champs

Florida St.

4. GoCourage

GoCourage Member

May 27, 2001
    Durham, NC
    Through the first 12 games... no perfect brackets (36 total entries)...

11 attackerp
    11 crazyhorse
    11 darntaz
    11 GopherBob
    11 IceDog
    11 Justdoit
    11 Norfolk
    11 nvsoccerfan (reigning champion)
    11 SoccerHunter
    11 theguru
    11 UNC4EVER
    11 uscue13
    11 WPS_Movement

10 bmoline
    10 Bradleyk15
    10 BruBru
    10 cpthomas (rpi)
    10 GoCourage
    10 iknosocr
    10 karanicole
    10 kickithard
    10 kolabear (approx. aj/massey)
    10 Paltrysum
    10 richmondD15
    10 SCUFANTASTIC
    10 socdad
    10 UncleFugly
    9 4oclocksomewhere
    9 DemitriMaximoffX
    9 DrGoat
    9 gogogo
    9 hykos1045
    9 soccershins
    9 Stinky Shinguards
    8 MRAD12
    8 NilamCA

5. uscue13

uscue13 Member

Nov 11, 2009
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Of those teams with 11 of 12, do you have the breakdown of which teams they missed on? I know for me, I missed Portland over Oregon State. Curious what the other misses were

6. GoCourage

GoCourage Member

May 27, 2001
    Durham, NC
    And the breakdown of which teams we think will emerge from the third round. No surprise that Stanford tops expectations of which team will emerge...

Third Round
    Stanford.........91.67%..|
    .........................|..8.33%.....Boston College

Auburn............5.56%..|
    .........................|.19.44%.....Maryland
    Illinois.........16.67%..|.19.44%.....Notre Dame
    .........................|.38.89%.....Oklahoma St

Virginia.........69.44%..|
    West Virginia....13.89%..|
    .........................|.16.67%.....Texas A&M

Memphis..........13.89%..|
    .........................|..2.78%.....Louisville
    Oregon St.........5.56%..|
    .........................|.77.78%.....Florida St

Wake Forest......55.56%..|
    .........................|..2.78%.....Boston U
    Marquette........19.44%..|
    .........................|.22.22%.....Penn St

North Carolina...72.22%..|
    UCF...............2.78%..|
    .........................|.25.00%.....Florida

UCLA.............86.11%..|
    .........................|..8.33%.....UC Irvine
    .........................|..5.56%.....Pepperdine

Illinois St.......2.78%..|.13.89%.....Milwaukee
    .........................|.83.33%.....Duke

Final bit of trivia, this is how the selections of WCC champion shook out... 50% think Stanford will get their first.

18 Stanford
    5 Duke
    4 Florida St.
    2 North Carolina
    2 UCLA
    1 Notre Dame
    1 Oklahoma St.
    1 Penn St.
    1 Virginia
    1 Wake Forest

7. GoCourage

GoCourage Member

May 27, 2001
    Durham, NC
    Hopefully this formats correctly for everyone... maybe not the best way to represent it, but it is coming from the spreadsheet. Overwhelmingly, it was Portland's upset, followed by San Diego, UCF, and Maryland as the challenging picks.

darntaz............:.......................................Portland.........................
    UncleFugly.................................................Portland................San.Diego
    bmoline....................................................Portland................San.Diego
    kickithard.........................Maryland................Portland.........................
    4oclocksomewhere...South.Carolina.............................................UCF..San.Diego
    uscue13....................................................Portland.........................
    IceDog.....................................................Portland.........................
    crazyhorse.........................................................................San.Diego
    BruBru.............................Maryland................Portland.........................
    GoCourage..................................................Portland................San.Diego
    Justdoit...........................................................................San.Diego
    Bradleyk15.................................................Portland................San.Diego
    GopherBob..................................................Portland.........................
    SoccerHunter...............................................Portland.........................
    Paltrysum..................................................Portland................San.Diego
    theguru............................................................................San.Diego
    Stinky.Shinguards..................Maryland................Portland................San.Diego
    attackerp..........................................................................San.Diego
    hykos1.45..........................Maryland...................................UCF..San.Diego
    socdad.............South.Carolina..........................Portland.........................
    NilamCA............................Maryland................Portland..Penn.St..UCF...........
    Norfolk............................................................................San.Diego
    SCUFANTASTIC...............................................Portland...........UCF...........
    WPS_Movement...............................................Portland.........................
    cpthomas.rpi...............................................Portland................San.Diego
    karanicole.................................................Portland................San.Diego
    gogogo...............................................................Penn.St..UCF..San.Diego
    soccershins........................Maryland................Portland................San.Diego
    richmondD15................................................Portland................San.Diego
    iknosocr...................................................Portland...........UCF...........
    UNC4EVER...........................................................................San.Diego
    DemitriMaximoffX...........................................Portland...........UCF..San.Diego
    DrGoat.....................................................Portland...........UCF..San.Diego
    nvsoccerfan................................................Portland.........................
    kolabear..jones/mas........................................Portland................San.Diego
    MRAD12........................................Texas.A&M..............Penn.St..UCF..San.Diego

8. GoCourage

GoCourage Member

May 27, 2001
    Durham, NC
    Through the games tonight, including UCLA's win over New Mexico.

25 nvsoccerfan (reigning champion)
    24 SoccerHunter
    23 WPS_Movement
    23 uscue13
    23 IceDog
    23 BruBru
    23 attackerp
    22 theguru
    22 Norfolk
    22 MRAD12
    22 karanicole
    22 Justdoit
    22 darntaz
    22 crazyhorse
    21 UNC4EVER
    21 SCUFANTASTIC
    21 richmondD15
    21 Paltrysum
    21 kolabear aj/m
    21 DrGoat
    21 Bradleyk15
    21 bmoline
    20 socdad
    20 soccershins
    20 kickithard
    20 iknosocr
    20 hykos1045
    20 GopherBob
    20 gogogo
    20 cpthomas rpi
    20 4oclocksomewhere
    19 UncleFugly
    19 GoCourage
    19 DemitriMaximoffX
    18 Stinky Shinguards
    18 NilamCA

9. WPS_Movement

WPS_Movement Member+

Apr 9, 2008
    I'm out of it.
    I had West Virginia in the College Cup, and they lost to Virginia Tech.

10. GoCourage

GoCourage Member

May 27, 2001
    Durham, NC
    And after all of the 1st round games, the current scores are listed below. The best possible score for the first round is 32.

28 nvsoccerfan
    27 SoccerHunter
    26 WPS_Movement
    26 karanicole
    26 Justdoit
    26 IceDog
    26 darntaz
    26 BruBru
    26 attackerp
    25 uscue13
    25 theguru
    25 SCUFANTASTIC
    25 richmondD15
    25 MRAD12
    25 crazyhorse
    25 Bradleyk15
    25 bmoline
    24 Paltrysum
    24 Norfolk
    24 kolabear aj/m
    24 kickithard
    24 GopherBob
    24 DrGoat
    23 UncleFugly
    23 UNC4EVER
    23 soccershins
    23 iknosocr
    23 hykos1045
    23 cpthomas rpi
    23 4oclocksomewhere
    22 Stinky Shinguards
    22 socdad
    22 NilamCA
    22 gogogo
    22 DemitriMaximoffX
    21 GoCourage

--
    The teams that people missed are listed below. Sorry, I don't have the stats for teams remaining per person. If enough people are interested in it, I will try to get to it later.

Code:
    4oclocksomewhere  South Carolina,California,Illinois,Washington St,UCF,UCLA,San Diego,Miami (FL),Long Beach St,
    attackerp         Illinois,Virginia Tech,Louisville,San Diego,Long Beach St,Ohio St,
    bmoline           California,Virginia Tech,Louisville,Portland,San Diego,Long Beach St,Ohio St,
    Bradleyk15        California,Washington St,Virginia Tech,Portland,San Diego,Long Beach St,Ohio St,
    BruBru            Maryland,Illinois,Washington St,Portland,Long Beach St,Ohio St,
    cpthomas          California,Washington St,Virginia Tech,Louisville,Portland,San Diego,Long Beach St,Ohio St,Georgia 
    crazyhorse        California,Illinois,Virginia Tech,San Diego,Long Beach St,Ohio St,Milwaukee,
    darntaz           California,Washington St,Louisville,Portland,Long Beach St,Ohio St,
    DemitriMaximoffX  California,Auburn,Illinois,Washington St,Virginia Tech,Louisville,Portland,UCF,San Diego,Ohio St,
    DrGoat            California,Illinois,Virginia Tech,Louisville,Portland,UCF,San Diego,Long Beach St,
    GoCourage         California,Illinois,Washington St,Virginia Tech,Louisville,Portland,San Diego,Miami (FL),Long Beach St,Ohio St,Georgia 
    gogogo            California,Illinois,Washington St,Virginia Tech,Penn St,UCF,San Diego,Long Beach St,Ohio St,Georgia 
    GopherBob         California,Washington St,Virginia Tech,Louisville,Portland,Miami (FL),Long Beach St,Ohio St,
    hykos1045         Maryland,Washington St,Virginia Tech,Louisville,UCF,San Diego,Long Beach St,Ohio St,Georgia 
    IceDog            California,Auburn,Illinois,Washington St,Portland,North Carolina,
    iknosocr          California,Illinois,Virginia Tech,Louisville,Portland,Marquette,UCF,Long Beach St,Ohio St,
    Justdoit          California,Washington St,Louisville,San Diego,Long Beach St,Ohio St,
    karanicole        California,Virginia Tech,Portland,San Diego,Long Beach St,Ohio St,
    kickithard        California,Maryland,Washington St,Virginia Tech,Louisville,Portland,Long Beach St,Ohio St,
    kolabear          California,Washington St,Virginia Tech,Portland,San Diego,Long Beach St,Ohio St,Georgia 
    MRAD12            California,Illinois,Texas A&M,Penn St,UCF,San Diego,Long Beach St,
    NilamCA           California,Maryland,Virginia Tech,Louisville,Portland,Penn St,North Carolina,UCF,Miami (FL),Ohio St,
    Norfolk           California,Illinois,Washington St,Virginia Tech,San Diego,Long Beach St,Milwaukee,Georgia 
    nvsoccerfan       Illinois,Virginia Tech,Portland,Long Beach St,
    Paltrysum         California,Illinois,Virginia Tech,Louisville,Portland,San Diego,Long Beach St,Milwaukee,
    richmondD15       California,Virginia Tech,Louisville,Portland,San Diego,Long Beach St,Ohio St,
    SCUFANTASTIC      California,Washington St,Virginia Tech,Portland,UCF,Long Beach St,Ohio St,
    SoccerHunter      California,Illinois,Portland,Long Beach St,Ohio St,
    soccershins       California,Maryland,Illinois,Washington St,Virginia Tech,Louisville,Portland,San Diego,Ohio St,
    socdad            South Carolina,California,Illinois,Washington St,Virginia Tech,Louisville,Portland,Boston U,Long Beach St,Georgia 
    Stinky Shinguards California,Maryland,Washington St,Virginia Tech,Portland,Boston U,San Diego,Miami (FL),Long Beach St,Milwaukee,
    theguru           California,Illinois,Washington St,Boston U,San Diego,Long Beach St,Ohio St,
    UNC4EVER          California,Illinois,Washington St,Virginia Tech,Louisville,San Diego,Long Beach St,Ohio St,Georgia 
    UncleFugly        California,Washington St,Virginia Tech,Louisville,Portland,San Diego,Miami (FL),Long Beach St,Ohio St,
    uscue13           California,Illinois,Virginia Tech,Portland,Long Beach St,Ohio St,Georgia 
    WPS_Movement      California,Illinois,Virginia Tech,Louisville,Portland,Long Beach St,

11. kolabear

kolabear Member+

Nov 10, 2006
    los angeles
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Hey, I wondered if we should put in an entry on behalf of The Committee. It's basically RPI but with whatever modifications the Committee in its wisdom saw fit to insert using their Seeding Criteria (Primary and Secondary) and all that jazz.

So it follows the seeding, rather than straight RPI. If the Committee saw fit to seed a team, that's a clear indication they thought other criteria outweighed a straight application of the RPI, doesn't it?

The last assumption we have to make is they implicitly seeded the bracket as a traditional bracket (1 thru 16) even though they don't do so explicitly. But in other words, Stanford is in the traditional #1 spot at the top left corner. Duke is #2 at the bottom right. Wake Forest and Florida St occupy the traditional #3 and #4 seeds respectively.

Where the seeding doesn't determine a selection then the fallback is to select the team with the higher RPI.

If we modify cpthomas' RPI list, showing the changes in bold (and showing the overridden RPI selection in italics), then, if I'm not mistaken, that leaves the Committee's tournament picks looking like this:

1st Round

Stanford
    South Carolina
    Santa Clara
    Boston College
    Auburn
    Maryland
    Illinois
    Oklahoma St.
    Virginia
    Kentucky
    West Virginia
    Texas A&M
    Memphis
    Dayton
    Oregon St.
    Florida St.
    Wake Forest
    Boston U.
    Marquette
    Penn St.
    North Carolina
    Baylor
    UCF
    Florida
    UCLA
    UC Irvine
    Miami (FL)
    Pepperdine
    Tennessee
    Milwaukee
    Kansas
    Duke

2nd Round

Stanford
    Boston College
    Auburn
    Oklahoma St.
    Virginia
    Texas A&M
    Memphis
    Florida St.
    Wake Forest
    Penn St.
    North Carolina
    Florida
    UCLA
    Pepperdine
    Milwaukee Tennessee
    Duke

3rd Round

Stanford
    Oklahoma St.
    Virginia
    Memphis Florida St
    Wake Forest
    Florida
    UCLA
    Duke

Final Four

Stanford
    Virginia Florida St
    Wake Forest
    Duke

Final

Stanford
    Duke

National Champs

Duke Stanford

12. cpthomas

cpthomas BigSoccer Supporter

Portland Thorns
    United States
    Jan 10, 2008
    Portland, Oregon
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Kolabear, that's great and an interesting enterprise. The part of it I think probably isn't right is assuming that all the seeds are in positions of 1-16. For the four #1 seeds, I think it's legitimate. After that, I don't think it's clear they are placing the teams in order. The deeper you get into the seeds, the less likely they're in a 1-16 order.

13. kolabear

kolabear Member+

Nov 10, 2006
    los angeles
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That should work then because, as you see in the modifications I made to your RPI-driven list, the only changes I made fell into these categories:

a) a seeded team is picked over a non-seeded team
    b) a higher seed (an explicitly made seed) is picked over a lower one
    c) Stanford over Duke - the #1 bracket seeds are assumed to be placed in a traditional bracket orientation

14. Crimson Ace

Crimson Ace Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 4, 2003
    McKinney, TX
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I am REALLY upset that I missed out on this year's bracket challenge. I started this thing several years ago and haven't missed one yet. I guess this is what happens when I never leave the office. :rolleyes:

Have fun gang!

15. GoCourage

GoCourage Member

May 27, 2001
    Durham, NC
    Here is how the second round (only) shakes out. 32 possible points for the round.

Some of the surprise winners... 4 people had Virginia Tech, 4 people had Louisville, 1 person had UCF (IceDog), nobody had San Diego, 4 people had Long Beach State, and 3 people had Ohio State.

20 WPS_Movement
    20 karanicole
    20 Justdoit
    20 IceDog
    20 BruBru
    20 Bradleyk15
    18 socdad
    18 SoccerHunter
    18 nvsoccerfan
    18 Norfolk
    18 kolabear aj/m
    18 hykos1045
    18 DrGoat
    18 darntaz
    18 crazyhorse
    18 cpthomas rpi
    18 4oclocksomewhere
    16 uscue13
    16 UncleFugly
    16 UNC4EVER
    16 theguru
    16 soccershins
    16 SCUFANTASTIC
    16 Paltrysum
    16 kickithard
    16 gogogo
    16 GoCourage
    16 DemitriMaximoffX
    16 bmoline
    14 richmondD15
    14 MRAD12
    14 GopherBob
    14 attackerp
    12 Stinky Shinguards
    12 NilamCA
    12 iknosocr

16. GoCourage

GoCourage Member

May 27, 2001
    Durham, NC
    ....and after some suspense, I'm sure, here are the results after 2 rounds (total).

46 WPS_Movement
    46 nvsoccerfan
    46 karanicole
    46 Justdoit
    46 IceDog
    46 BruBru
    45 SoccerHunter
    45 Bradleyk15
    44 darntaz
    43 crazyhorse
    42 Norfolk
    42 kolabear aj/m
    42 DrGoat
    41 uscue13
    41 theguru
    41 SCUFANTASTIC
    41 hykos1045
    41 cpthomas rpi
    41 bmoline
    41 4oclocksomewhere
    40 socdad
    40 Paltrysum
    40 kickithard
    40 attackerp
    39 UncleFugly
    39 UNC4EVER
    39 soccershins
    39 richmondD15
    39 MRAD12
    38 GopherBob
    38 gogogo
    38 DemitriMaximoffX
    37 GoCourage
    35 iknosocr
    34 Stinky Shinguards
    34 NilamCA

17. GoCourage

GoCourage Member

May 27, 2001
    Durham, NC
    Results from the 3rd round only.

24 SCUFANTASTIC
    24 kolabear aj/m
    24 karanicole
    24 GoCourage
    24 darntaz
    20 theguru
    20 socdad
    20 richmondD15
    20 Paltrysum
    20 Justdoit
    20 iknosocr
    20 DrGoat
    20 cpthomas rpi
    20 BruBru
    20 attackerp
    20 4oclocksomewhere
    16 UncleFugly
    16 UNC4EVER
    16 SoccerHunter
    16 MRAD12
    16 IceDog
    16 hykos1045
    16 gogogo
    16 DemitriMaximoffX
    16 crazyhorse
    16 Bradleyk15
    16 bmoline
    12 WPS_Movement
    12 uscue13
    12 nvsoccerfan
    12 Norfolk
    8 Stinky Shinguards
    8 soccershins
    8 NilamCA
    8 kickithard
    8 GopherBob

18. GoCourage

GoCourage Member

May 27, 2001
    Durham, NC
    And the total points through all three rounds.

70 karanicole
    68 darntaz
    66 kolabear aj/m
    66 Justdoit
    66 BruBru
    65 SCUFANTASTIC
    62 IceDog
    62 DrGoat
    61 theguru
    61 SoccerHunter
    61 GoCourage
    61 cpthomas rpi
    61 Bradleyk15
    61 4oclocksomewhere
    60 socdad
    60 Paltrysum
    60 attackerp
    59 richmondD15
    59 crazyhorse
    58 WPS_Movement
    58 nvsoccerfan
    57 hykos1045
    57 bmoline
    55 UncleFugly
    55 UNC4EVER
    55 MRAD12
    55 iknosocr
    54 Norfolk
    54 gogogo
    54 DemitriMaximoffX
    53 uscue13
    48 kickithard
    47 soccershins
    46 GopherBob
    42 Stinky Shinguards
    42 NilamCA

19. GoCourage

GoCourage Member

May 27, 2001
    Durham, NC
    The quarterfinal round points. 24 points possible.

24 SCUFANTASTIC
    24 Paltrysum
    24 kolabear aj/m
    24 key
    24 Justdoit
    18 UNC4EVER
    18 socdad
    18 GoCourage
    18 DemitriMaximoffX
    18 cpthomas rpi
    18 bmoline
    18 attackerp
    18 4oclocksomewhere
    12 uscue13
    12 theguru
    12 SoccerHunter
    12 richmondD15
    12 Norfolk
    12 MRAD12
    12 karanicole
    12 GopherBob
    12 gogogo
    12 DrGoat
    12 darntaz
    12 crazyhorse
    12 BruBru
    12 Bradleyk15
    6 WPS_Movement
    6 UncleFugly
    6 Stinky Shinguards
    6 soccershins
    6 nvsoccerfan
    6 kickithard
    6 iknosocr
    6 hykos1045
    0 NilamCA
    0 IceDog

20. GoCourage

GoCourage Member

May 27, 2001
    Durham, NC
    And the overall leaders after the quarterfinal round...

90 kolabear aj/m
    90 Justdoit
    89 SCUFANTASTIC
    84 Paltrysum
    82 karanicole
    80 darntaz
    79 GoCourage
    79 cpthomas rpi
    79 4oclocksomewhere
    78 socdad
    78 BruBru
    78 attackerp
    75 bmoline
    74 DrGoat
    73 UNC4EVER
    73 theguru
    73 SoccerHunter
    73 Bradleyk15
    72 DemitriMaximoffX
    71 richmondD15
    71 crazyhorse
    67 MRAD12
    66 Norfolk
    66 gogogo
    65 uscue13
    64 WPS_Movement
    64 nvsoccerfan
    63 hykos1045
    62 IceDog
    61 UncleFugly
    61 iknosocr
    58 GopherBob
    54 kickithard
    53 soccershins
    48 Stinky Shinguards
    42 NilamCA

21. GoCourage

GoCourage Member

May 27, 2001
    Durham, NC
    I'm kind of shocked that there are so many possible ties. Quite a few people with a chance depending on how the finals shake out. Just a reminder that the scoring for the final two rounds is listed below. Still 28 points available.

Semi-finals.....................8 Points
    Championship...................12 Points

90··kolabear·aj/m·····Stanford·······Duke·············||·Stanford·······
    90··Justdoit··········Stanford·······Duke·············||·Stanford·······
    89··SCUFANTASTIC······Stanford·······Duke·············||·Stanford·······
    84··Paltrysum·········Stanford·······Duke·············||·Stanford·······
    82··karanicole········Stanford·······Wake·Forest······||·Stanford·······
    80··darntaz···········--------·······Wake·Forest······||·--------·······
    79··GoCourage·········Stanford·······Duke·············||·Duke···········
    79··cpthomas·rpi······Stanford·······Duke·············||·Duke···········
    79··4oclocksomewhere··Stanford·······Duke·············||·Duke···········
    78··socdad············Stanford·······Wake·Forest······||·Wake·Forest····
    78··BruBru············Stanford·······----·············||·----···········
    78··attackerp·········Stanford·······Wake·Forest······||·Stanford·······
    75··bmoline···········Stanford·······Duke·············||·Stanford·······
    74··DrGoat············Stanford·······Duke·············||·Stanford·······
    73··UNC4EVER··········Stanford·······--------------···||·Stanford·······
    73··theguru···········Stanford·······--------------···||·Stanford·······
    73··SoccerHunter······Florida·St·····--------------···||·--------------·
    73··Bradleyk15········Florida·St·····--------------···||·Florida·St·····
    72··DemitriMaximoffX··Florida·St·····Duke·············||·Florida·St·····
    71··richmondD15·······Stanford·······Wake·Forest······||·Stanford·······
    71··crazyhorse········Florida·St·····Duke·············||·Florida·St·····
    67··MRAD12············Florida·St·····----·············||·Florida·St·····
    66··Norfolk···········Stanford·······--------------···||·Stanford·······
    66··gogogo············Stanford·······--------------···||·--------------·
    65··uscue13···········Stanford·······Duke·············||·Duke···········
    64··WPS_Movement······Stanford·······--------------···||·Stanford·······
    64··nvsoccerfan·······--------------·Duke·············||·Duke···········
    63··hykos1045·········------------···--------------···||·--------------·
    62··IceDog············--------·······--------·········||·--------·······
    61··UncleFugly········Stanford·······--------·········||·Stanford·······
    61··iknosocr··········----------·····--------------···||·--------------·
    58··GopherBob·········Stanford·······--------·········||·Stanford·······
    54··kickithard········Stanford·······--------------···||·Stanford·······
    53··soccershins·······Stanford·······--------------···||·Stanford·······
    48··Stinky·Shinguards·Stanford·······--------------···||·Stanford·······
    42··NilamCA···········--------·······--------------···||·--------------·

22. kolabear

kolabear Member+

Nov 10, 2006
    los angeles
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    While it's nice to see my name up there I have to say it's a bit of a fluke. If I knew Memphis would be hosting the 2nd and 3rd round games, the Massey/AJ conversion ratings would've tabbed Memphis over Florida State in the 3rd round, also precluding Florida St from being a quarterfinals pick.

On the whole, however, I think the Massey ratings have done quite well, well enough to show that it can be good statistical tool for the Committee to use in forming the bracket.

On the other hand, the RPI has done well enough, too, this time around, and the Committee, in its deviations from the RPI also looks reasonably justified in some of its decisions (in particular the decision to downgrade Memphis and raise Florida State's seeding to a #1 bracket-seed, although part of that is self-fulfilling. By elevating FSU to a #1 seed, the Committee gave them homefield advantage over Virginia in their quarterfinal matchup. Switch that around and put the game in Virginia and who knows?)

Of course there were other questionable decisions by the Committee (such as the failure to seed Illinois and the over-seeding of the SEC teams) but some of these errors don't show up in the predictions once the bracket is set up.

A good statistical system should do reasonably well at the prediction game but it's also important to keep in mind that prediction is not the main objective of a rating system being used to determine the bracket. With enough people taking their chances at predicting, there should be a fair number of people coming out ahead of the rating systems - because there are going to be upsets and winning a prediction contest involves taking some chances as to what the significant upsets are going to be.

23. GoCourage

GoCourage Member

May 27, 2001
    Durham, NC
    The total point value is the left-most number. The round point value is the next number. The winning team is the final item on the line.

106·16·kolabear·aj/m······Stanford·······
    106·16·Justdoit···········Stanford·······
    105·16·SCUFANTASTIC·······Stanford·······
    100·16·Paltrysum··········Stanford·······
    95··16·GoCourage··········Duke···········
    95··16·cpthomas·rpi·······Duke···········
    95··16·4oclocksomewhere···Duke···········
    91··16·bmoline············Stanford·······
    90··8··karanicole·········Stanford·······
    90··16·DrGoat·············Stanford·······
    86··8··socdad·············Wake·Forest····
    86··8··BruBru·············UCLA···········
    86··8··attackerp··········Stanford·······
    81··8··UNC4EVER···········Stanford·······
    81··8··theguru············Stanford·······
    81··16·uscue13············Duke···········
    80··8··DemitriMaximoffX···Florida·St.····
    80··0··darntaz············Virginia·······
    79··8··richmondD15········Stanford·······
    79··8··crazyhorse·········Florida·St.····
    74··8··Norfolk············Stanford·······
    74··8··gogogo·············North·Carolina·
    73··0··SoccerHunter·······North·Carolina·
    73··0··Bradleyk15·········Florida·St.····
    72··8··WPS_Movement·······Stanford·······
    72··8··nvsoccerfan········Duke···········
    69··8··UncleFugly·········Stanford·······
    67··0··MRAD12·············Florida·St.····
    66··8··GopherBob··········Stanford·······
    63··0··hykos1045··········Oklahoma·St.···
    62··8··kickithard·········Stanford·······
    62··0··IceDog·············Penn·St.·······
    61··8··soccershins········Stanford·······
    61··0··iknosocr···········Notre·Dame·····
    56··8··Stinky·Shinguards··Stanford·······
    42··0··NilamCA············UCLA···········

24. kolabear

kolabear Member+

Nov 10, 2006
    los angeles
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    With a Dukevictory in the Championship, the RPI can still come out on top -- along with GoCourage and 4oclocksomewhere!

RPI and the Massey ratings are both doing quite well - surprisingly well. I'm surprised that both systems have a chance to top the field. I wouldn't normally expect that. It does seem to show that these systems have some value in helping determine the bracket (although, of course, as most of you know, I believe the case for an Elo system is overall better than it is for RPI). From a fan fun and games standpoint, it does show you that you ignore an Elo system at some risk in a prediction contest -- although I think some risks are worth taking in order to come out on top.

As a sidenote, adding up the "correct" predictions of all the games as played so far in the tournament, I counted 47 correct picks by the Massey/AJ system vs 42 for RPI, if I counted correctly. In addition there were 7 ties.

25. WPS_Movement

WPS_Movement Member+

Apr 9, 2008
    Ok, so I didn't pick any ACC teams to make the College Cup (differentiation strategic maneuver from everyone else backfired), and I also knew an ACC team wouldn't win the National Title, because I picked the championship winner (Stanford) to win. I had a horrible prediction tournament, but at least I got the champion right (ended with a positive note). I haven't gotten that right since the 2008 season (when I picked North Carolina then). I picked Stanford to win in 2009 (O'hara and Press), and I picked Stanford to win last year. About time Stanford finally came through. I'm not picking Stanford to win next year.

Next year's early pick: UCLA (UCLA also will finally gettur done).

West Coast again.
    The real girls play on the Westside.