NatWest Series part II [r]

Discussion in 'Cricket' started by BhoysFC1995, Jun 25, 2005.

1. Bluto11

Bluto11 The sky is falling!

May 16, 2003
    Chicago, IL
    shows i know nothing about cricket!!!, or the Aussie team itself.

which part of the order is usually the best? I figured it was the top half, so once those wickets fell I figured that they would not reach the required run rate

2. Andy TAUS

Andy TAUS Member

Jan 31, 2004
    Sydney, AUS
    There's a long batting tail (that can wag usually), so if the top order doesn't fire on any given day, then the bottom order SOMETIMES does. If the top order does fire, then the tail isn't needed, except for their bowling skills.

3. Bluto11

May 16, 2003
    Chicago, IL
    10 runs 1 over.

this is fun to listen to

4. Bluto11

May 16, 2003
    Chicago, IL
    2 balls left

holy crap

5. Bluto11

May 16, 2003
    Chicago, IL
    Gough run out with one ball left.

2 runs to tie, 3 to win. last ball

6. Bluto11

May 16, 2003
    Chicago, IL
    and its a draw

the commentators were saying they need to cut the trophy in half with 10 overs left if the game ended in a draw

7. Lanesra

Lanesra BigSoccer Supporter

Feb 13, 2003
    LONDON
    Well done Australia, you managed to snatch a draw from the jaws of victory:D

8. Peakite

Peakite Member

Mar 27, 2000
    Berkshire
    Club:
    Halifax Town
    :confused:

Why have they scrapped the rule about number of wickets lost?

After last checking at about 40/5, it pretty much needed Collingwood and Jones to produce something special. Looks like they, with Giles and Gough certainly did.

Wish they'd put this on terrestrial TV, and S4C (and if anyone can tell me how to pronouce the S4 - I can cope with the C) are shite at putting highlights on even later than Channel 4 :(.

9. Chewmylegoff

Chewmylegoff Member

Jan 26, 2004
    London
    they didn't scrap that rule - each one day competition has its own rules, this was a 3 way cup competition and whoever drew up the rules obviously specified that no reference would be made to number of wickets lost.

if it was a world cup match, for instance, then we would have won.

10. Peakite

Peakite Member

Mar 27, 2000
    Berkshire
    Club:
    Halifax Town
    So who actually wins the tournament now?

Do we get it for a better first round record, Australia for a better record between the sides, or just shared?

11. Chewmylegoff

Chewmylegoff Member

Jan 26, 2004
    London
    shared.

12. ScouseCat

ScouseCat New Member

Jan 10, 2003
    Melbourne, Australia
    The game might have ended a tie, but Australia will get a lot of confidence from their bowling performance, especially Glenn McGrath and Brett Lee. The England top order were once again exposed for their technique and patience, something we'll try to exploit in the upcoming test matches. We just need Gillespie to bowl himself into a bit of form before the first test and we'll be right.

Anyway, back to the Final... Hussey's innings was really good, rescuing our innings in the middle overs. I thought Symonds was unlucky to get out after doing all the hard work. We're still not quite firing at the top, with Ponting still to find his form. Martyn got a beauty and Clarke was unlucky.

13. Chewmylegoff

Chewmylegoff Member

Jan 26, 2004
    London
    well firstly the game probably turned on a stupid run-out when collingwood fell over, otherwise england looked like breezing home.

on the bowling side of things, i expect england will be equally pleased with the corresponding surrender of the australian top order. if england's top order was impatient then what the hell were hayden and gilchrist? symonds couldnt bear not to score off six consecutive balls and played a very poor and impatient shot. ponting has been just as ineffective as vaughn. michael clarke was not "unlucky" he was completely unable to score runs, and was caught on his crease when he should have been forward, no way that wasn't out.

as you say, hussey was the outstanding batsman on either side, but how you can conclude that australia must be smugly feeling "we've got them here" when both batting line ups essentially failed in a game that was dominated by four bowling displays: mcgrath, lee, harmison and flintoff, two on each side, well i really don't know where you get that conclusion from!

ponting et al certainly didn't look to be particularly pleased with themselves at the end of the match, anyway...

14. Andy TAUS

Andy TAUS Member

Jan 31, 2004
    Sydney, AUS
    Chewie, that just shows both teams' attitude towards winning. Ponting & AUS were p!ssed off that they didn't win the game, whereas Vaughan & England were delighted they drew (tied) it. :rolleyes:

15. M

M Member+

Feb 18, 2000
    Via Ventisette
    More like Aus choked and chucked away a win with a fielding error.

16. Caesar

Caesar Moderator
    Staff Member

Mar 3, 2004
    Oztraya
    Both teams made a few extremely stupid mistakes. It was more a matter of both teams just managing not to lose than one failing to win.

17. Maczebus

Maczebus New Member

Jun 15, 2002
    Not that I'm Welsh or anything shocking like that but I'm from NW England originally and I used to be able to get S4C on my little portable TV.
    From what I can remember it's pronounced something like "ess-pedwar-ek".

18. OldFanatic

OldFanatic Member

Jan 12, 2004
    Bay Area
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  19. BhoysFC1995

BhoysFC1995 New Member

Nov 30, 1999
    NYC