National team coaches

Discussion in 'Asian Football Confederation' started by druryfire, Jan 14, 2008.

1. MetroChile

MetroChile Member+

Jan 13, 2001
    NJ; Valpo.
    Club:
    Santiago Wanderers
    Nat'l Team:
    Chile
  2. druryfire

druryfire Member

Sep 10, 2007
    England
    He is, and his announcment took me by suprise. They have actually really considered this. With some of the other names mentioend like O'Leary and Peter Taylor, it did just look like they were going for anyone with a name from the English leagues.

Wise move by FAS and shows they do do there research.

3. shayanAFG

shayanAFG Member

Sep 21, 2010
    Has Tajikistan's Serbian coach resigned? The website of their federation say two domestic coaches will supervise the Tajikistan team in their friendly match with Afghanistan on June 4.

4. druryfire

druryfire Member

Sep 10, 2007
    England
    I think he, Nikola Kavazovic, only had a temporary mandate, he is also a club coach in Tajikistan, so possibly has other things to deal with now.

5. Erinak Nanok

Erinak Nanok New Member

Aug 27, 2011
  6. Coach2007

Coach2007 Member

Jun 29, 2012
    Rio (Rehab)
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    I wonder if some one can shine some light here- In most Asian countries and very specifically for Middle Eastern teams- they can't usually go wrong with Eastern European coaches both at their club and national levels. European coaches don't fare too well(e.g.- Rijkaard in Saudi Arabia), and South American Coaches too are often times less successful than their Eastern European counterparts (Serbian, Croatian, Hungarian etc...). Follow the trend and I'm sure many Middle Eastern football fans will confirm that their best periods were under such coaches. Interesting observation.

7. Elspamo

Elspamo Member

Mar 7, 2012
    USA
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Nat'l Team:
    Qatar

That is a very interesting observation. For the Qatar national team, their best coach in recent times was Musovic (Bosnian). Of course, Fossati would be more highly regarded if he was given more time to work with the national team.

Two of the best coaches in the league right now are Eastern European; both Romanian. Additionally, the coach who is considered to be one of the best in the entire history of the league is Bosnian (Hadziabdic). Although there is no doubt that South American coaches have also achieved credibility in the past in the national team and clubs, such as Evaristo de Macedo, who is considered the greatest-ever coach of Qatar.

Is there a similar trend in Saudi Arabia?

8. Coach2007

Coach2007 Member

Jun 29, 2012
    Rio (Rehab)
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    In say in the club level in Saudi- the first choice for many clubs would most likely be Eastern European. Hilal in particular has played I think its best years under Romanian coaches Balachi and later Cosmin. It has also done remarkably well under Serbian, Croatian, Bosnian and Czech coaches. The National teams preference is very heavily Brazilian I'd say although it did experiment with Czech Macala in 1999-2000.The job span of a coach in Saudi barely exceeds more than two years so its hard to say but I'd probably say Calderon.

Elspamo repped this.
  9. druryfire

druryfire Member

Sep 10, 2007
    England
    This isn't true just yet.

To shed some light. FAT and Schfaer had a meeting and no one got sacked. Put FAT President is going to all Thai media outlets and saying they have mutually agreed , but Schfaer doesn't say this is the case, he says he's still hired and all they agreed was to have another meeting.

Thai press haven't done any research or even asked questions to the coach, they just write what FAT tell them to write.

10. Erinak Nanok

Erinak Nanok New Member

Aug 27, 2011
    Ok, I'm sorry :)

11. Arsenalkid700

Arsenalkid700 Member

Aug 9, 2011
    New York City
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    You should be, now go stand in the corner and think about what you did.

12. Angsa

Angsa Member

Aug 26, 2008
    Hong Kong
    Club:
    Everton FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    South China Morning Post

Kim Pan-gon appointed Hong Kong head coach until December 2015

Chan Kin-wa

Kim Pan-gon has been appointed Hong Kong head coach on a deal lasting until December 2015, beyond the scheduled end of the government-funded Project Phoenix that pays for the role.

The Korean has been interim coach since the sudden departure of Australian Ernie Merrick in November.

The head coach job is one of the initiatives of Project Phoenix, aiming to revitalise local soccer, but scheduled to end in November next year after three years.

"We hope it will continue beyond November 2014," said Hong Kong Football Association chief executive Mark Sutcliffe. "But if it isn't being extended, we will have to review the situation.

"I am not saying we will have to terminate Kim's contract if we are not getting government money, but we just need to review how we can afford to keep his position because we have to identify resources from somewhere else - the association or commercial sponsors.

"We reckon it's important to give him a long enough and reasonable deal like head coaches around the world will get, as we need that period of time to put the influence on things."

Hong Kong's international ranking has gone from a historic low of 172 when Kim first started to 151, and the team have started their qualification campaign for the 2015 Asian Cup well, second in their group after two games.

"Our target, of course, is to qualify for the 2015 Asian Cup finals in Australia," said Kim, who led his side in practice yesterday in preparation for next week's friendly against the Philippines.

Also announced yesterday was the appointment of Szeto Man-chun as the Hong Kong team's administrative manager.

13. druryfire

druryfire Member

Sep 10, 2007
    England
    Winfried Schfaer has finally gone, mutally terminated.

Weirdly he started kicking off when Kiatisuk Senamuang ws put in caretaker role for the upcoming friendly with China...maybe rightly so since he was still head coach but his own standards have now dropped because Schfaer appears to be taking over at MTU who have fired their coach, looks like Schfaer had manouvred in behind the scenes doing what he complained about at national level.

Schfaer and FAT all happy now though!

14. jonny63

jonny63 Member+

Feb 17, 2005
    Norway
    druryfire repped this.
  15. Shenron

Shenron New Member

Jul 4, 2012
    Club:
    FC Internazionale Milano
    Iraq has had 70 managers 50 of which have been Iraqi so it's not something new in Iraq. Unlike the gulf countries Iraq has good local managers.

16. druryfire

druryfire Member

Sep 10, 2007
    England
  17. MetroChile

MetroChile Member+

Jan 13, 2001
    NJ; Valpo.
    Club:
    Santiago Wanderers
    Nat'l Team:
    Chile
  18. Kutsuit

Kutsuit Member

Mar 2, 2011
    Kuwait City
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Kuwait
    The Kuwait Football Association (KFA) decided not to renew Goran's contract. The two parties have agreed to part ways on mutual grounds. Thank you for the four wonderful years, Goran! We will never forget you! :)

Goran's achievements with the national team:
    1. Winner of the 2010 West Asian Football Federation Championship -- our first title.
    2. Winner of the 2010 Gulf Cup of Nations -- our tenth title.

Goran also led the national team to the 2011 AFC Asian Cup, after we missed out on the tournament's preceding edition. Kuwait's two biggest wins, under Goran's tenure, were a 9-1 victory over India, in 2010, and a 6-1 victory over Bahrain, in 2013.

The KFA did not announce a replacement as yet. However, there are rumors going around that our next manager will be Hassan Shehata. :)

druryfire repped this.
  19. druryfire

druryfire Member

Sep 10, 2007
    England
    I think the Lebanese match fixing saga really pissed him off and he just had to get out.

20. glennaldo_sf

glennaldo_sf Member+

Houston Dynamo, Penang FC, Al Duhail
    United States
    Nov 25, 2004
    Doha, Qatar
    Club:
    FL Fart Vang Hedmark
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Didn't post this here but did elsewhere but the other week I was in the Chinese Embassy in Qatar getting a visa for China when I ran into none other than Bora Milutonivic or however you spell it. He was getting Vip treatment but on his way out I yelled "Bora!" and he looked up and smiled and shook my hand and went on his way . But I wonder what he was doing at the Chinese Embassy....

21. druryfire

druryfire Member

Sep 10, 2007
    England
    Hossam Hassan to coach Jordan after Adnan Hamed resigned?

Nurafshon repped this.
  22. druryfire

druryfire Member

Sep 10, 2007
    England
    Interesting...but I think China want to go back to basics, go down the homegrown route again.

They got EAFF Championship in less than 30 days, maybe he's a stop gap?

23. Angsa

Angsa Member

Aug 26, 2008
    Hong Kong
    Club:
    Everton FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina

I'm surprised he still needs a visa to get into China. He should have received an honorary citizenship way back in 2001.

I think he is just going to be the stand-in coach for the EAFF, but he will also offer advice on who the CFA should take on for the successor.