NASL Web Media Thread

Discussion in 'NASL' started by atlanticTFCfan, Dec 5, 2009.

1. The Marquis

The Marquis Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 13, 2007
    Washougal, WA
    Club:
    Portland Timbers
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Are they archiving games? I'm trying to watch, but can't often watch live.

2. SoccerPrime

SoccerPrime Moderator
    Staff Member

All of them
    Apr 14, 2003
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    They keep saying they will, but none have been archived yet.

3. MLSinSTL

MLSinSTL Member+

Columbus Crew
    United States
    Mar 20, 2009
    Ohio - near a city
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    So the games have been archived for a while now which is good. Today I noticed the NASL.com site and the other team sites run by EZ IT Solutions have finally fixed some of their long running issues with the navigation menus on the top of the sites. They've also fixed the rotating news article feature so it's not way off to the right like it's been all year long.

4. Smoke & Mirrors

Jul 18, 2010
    Club:
    Ft Lauderdale Strikers
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    No doubt we've seen improvements by the league in a number of areas this year. I'm hoping the match streaming is the next project they try to tackle. A few teams have good set ups (ATL, MN) but some others are really bad (PR, MTL) for various reasons.

5. drSoFlaFan

drSoFlaFan DEFEND THE FORT!

Feb 25, 2008
    Plantation, FL
    Club:
    Ft Lauderdale Strikers
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I've been impressed by Edmonton's video quality and solid production. PR is easily the worst, and really the only bad one in the league. Montréal's is off sometimes because they are using a radio audio feed and video that is unrelated and shows the in-stadium video displays sometimes. But they are leaving so who cares?

I think across the board they need a standard on-screen graphics set-up, so that every game presentation looks the same, with a running clock etc. I know Minnesota and the Strikers only show what half the game is in. Edmonton and Carolina I think actually use a live shot of the running scoreboard in the stadium to show the time.

6. speedcake

speedcake Member

Dec 2, 1999
    Tampa
    Club:
    FC Tampa Bay Rowdies
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It definitely would be nice to see some attention given to increasing the overall quality of the broadcasts. They've definitely been better this year though, we've been able to watch just about all games and they finally got most games archived.

Another thing they should start doing is advertising more that they are available. Maybe I just haven't noticed, but I don't see alot of fuss being made by the league or individual teams over the online streams. Despite that, we get some decent viewer numbers (not counting Montreal away games) and with some extra love they could possibly really increase eyeballs.

The increased quality and reliability will definitely push the Mob to make sure we do regular watch parties again, something we dropped the ball on this season.

7. ceezmad

ceezmad Member+

Mar 4, 2010
    Chicago
    Club:
    Chicago Red Stars
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Has anyone seen the app for the Australian Soccer League?

http://www.ultimatealeague.com/app/

It would be cool if the NASL (and not the star league) had something similar, with links to Ustream.

8. ceezmad

ceezmad Member+

Mar 4, 2010
    Chicago
    Club:
    Chicago Red Stars
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Interview about business of NASL with Railhawks president.

http://www.wral.com/business/video/10699615/

According to the interview, average salaries around 2,700 - 3,300 per month.

So average salary expense (I will use 3K)

3K X 23 players X 7 months = 483,000

9. gcg1510

gcg1510 Member

Oct 3, 2010
    I think he inflated those numbers a bit. $3k is about the max that top players would make and it would tail off from that.

10. speedcake

speedcake Member

Dec 2, 1999
    Tampa
    Club:
    FC Tampa Bay Rowdies
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Whatever you think, those are the numbers he gave. Plus, why would he inflate the numbers by just $300?

:rolleyes:

11. ceezmad

ceezmad Member+

Mar 4, 2010
    Chicago
    Club:
    Chicago Red Stars
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I am not sure, 3K per month for 7 months (6 month regular season) is only 21,000 USD that does seem about right (many make a little less, a few make more).

Sure we can not say those numbers are 100% correct, but they are useful for us here in BS to talk some of our BS ;)

12. leeka

leeka Member

Feb 7, 2009
    Bayamón PR
    Club:
    Puerto Rico Islanders
    Nat'l Team:
    Puerto Rico
    There was rumors in Puerto Rico that Bill Gaudette earn like $5k per month + some benefits when played with the PRI...

13. Mikey mouse

Mikey mouse Member

Jul 27, 1999
    Charleston, SC
    Club:
    Charleston
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm going to say that number is about right on average. I know it has been touted around the Three Lion's Pub as what Charleston Battery players make. ( I would imagine other D3 teams are lower but I wouldn't be surprised if some teams are higher.

I would imagine a rookie player would make a bit less and a veteran player a bit more. When the Battery signed Eric Wynalda, his contract was for $75,000 a year. Of course he blew out is knee in a preseason match and retired.

Most teams also provide housing of some sort. I imagine there are various types of bonuses.

Also don't forget to pay your coaching staff, trainer, front office staff (likely year round wages)

14. ceezmad

ceezmad Member+

Mar 4, 2010
    Chicago
    Club:
    Chicago Red Stars
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yes when you add up housing (I assume shared aparments) 21K for 7 months is not bad (bottom paid players may make 8-10K)

The son of my boss got offered 1,100 total for 4 months (after tax) to go play tackle football (room, meals and transportation included) in Norway (or Denmark :confused:).

15. Mikey mouse

Mikey mouse Member

Jul 27, 1999
    Charleston, SC
    Club:
    Charleston
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    you can barely buy meal at McDonalds for that in Norway! Seriously though, Had a good conversation with Mike Zaher last year after his stint in Sweden. He was offered a contract which would have paid him more money, but the cost of living is so much higher there than it is in South Carolina, that he turned it down and came back to Charleston last season.

16. ceezmad

ceezmad Member+

Mar 4, 2010
    Chicago
    Club:
    Chicago Red Stars
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    He is an offensive lineman so I am sure he can eat lots of McDolands.

17. Jossed

Jossed Member+

Apr 23, 2011
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Ali Gerba made 100k last year playing for the Impact. But then that was the Impact. They were the last of the super clubs to play in D2.

18. ceezmad

ceezmad Member+

Mar 4, 2010
    Chicago
    Club:
    Chicago Red Stars
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Well this is not Web, but it is Media.

http://nasl.com/index.php?id=3&newsid=1789

"Each Silverbacks home game during the 2012 season will air locally on Azteca Atlanta, with a 30-minute pregame show also being included in the broadcast. The games will be shown via tape-delay on Sunday mornings, and pregame coverage will begin at 10:30 a.m. All games will air from 11 a.m.-1 p.m, preceding Azteca America network coverage of Mexican professional soccer."

19. bullsear

bullsear Member

Feb 17, 2009
    Club:
    Newcastle United FC
    Although I'm not sure it will really be an outlet for hardcore fans, it will certainly help bolster the clubs image. Will the coverage be in Spanish?

I would say that exposure is exposure, but I hope this deal is mutually beneficial (monetarily) for both the station and team. In other words, I hope the team isn't paying for everything out-of-pocket.

Edit: Never mind. Just read the full press release. Azteca is the team's Spanish-language partner.

20. ceezmad

ceezmad Member+

Mar 4, 2010
    Chicago
    Club:
    Chicago Red Stars
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Does anyone have the soccer livescores app?

Pretty cool they show the scores for lots of leagues around the world, 1st and lower divisions.

NASL is on the app ;)

21. leeka

leeka Member

Feb 7, 2009
    Bayamón PR
    Club:
    Puerto Rico Islanders
    Nat'l Team:
    Puerto Rico
    Yes... It's a simple app, but like u said, cover a lots of leagues around the world. I have FotMob too, and they have the NASL to add in you favorites, but not shows the scores or anything about the league :confused::mad:...

22. Blue Lou

Blue Lou Member

Nov 13, 2006
    They should add their headlines to Google News. I don't know why US soccer sites don't seem to want to be listed. CONCACAF isn't listed there either.

23. ceezmad

ceezmad Member+

Mar 4, 2010
    Chicago
    Club:
    Chicago Red Stars
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  24. Bluesfan

Bluesfan Member+

DC United
    Aug 12, 2000
    Tampa
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    Scotland
    Good lord the feed from Lockhart his crap tonight, is it always this bad? Not sure I can make it through the whole game without gettin a headache.

25. ceezmad

ceezmad Member+

Mar 4, 2010
    Chicago
    Club:
    Chicago Red Stars
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Happy 4th of July

w1

w2

w3