NASL News 2013

Discussion in 'NASL' started by MLSinSTL, Jan 2, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. NorthernWall

NorthernWall Member

Mar 1, 2012
    Oh, and Daryl Sattler, and Aaron Pitchkolan also of SAS. And Bryan Arguez of Montreal Impact. But I mean, who's counting.

NORML repped this.
  2. bullsear

bullsear Member

Feb 17, 2009
    Club:
    Newcastle United FC
    NORML repped this.
  3. MLSinSTL

MLSinSTL Member+

Columbus Crew
    United States
    Mar 20, 2009
    Ohio - near a city
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  4. bullsear

bullsear Member

Feb 17, 2009
    Club:
    Newcastle United FC
    I only just now realized this, but the Stars have an interesting knack for bringing in the Dark Clouds' most hated foes. First Jamie Watson, now these guys. Wacky, wild stuff.

5. MLSinSTL

MLSinSTL Member+

Columbus Crew
    United States
    Mar 20, 2009
    Ohio - near a city
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Indy Ball - naslvirginia.com

An update from NASL Virginia about what they've been up to...some good tidbits here included:
    • Youth academy plans & camps
    • Venue renderings have been updated
    • Presented marketing & promotion strategy to counterparts (assuming this is the NASL AGM)
    • Construction timeline shared with counterparts- although it doesn't actually give the timeline!

6. NORML

NORML Member+

Aug 9, 2002
    Lake Wobegon, MN
    Club:
    NSC Minnesota Stars
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It's gotta be Manny, he was GM when the Thunder signed Ricardo "el perro loco" Sanchez. If the club signs Johnny Steele Manny is definitely trolling the DCs. :)

bullsear repped this.
  7. MLSinSTL

MLSinSTL Member+

Columbus Crew
    United States
    Mar 20, 2009
    Ohio - near a city
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  8. bullsear

bullsear Member

Feb 17, 2009
    Club:
    Newcastle United FC
    I totally forgot about "el perro loco"! Well, I didn't forget about him entirely. I just forgot about hating him before he came to MN.

9. Permanent4

Permanent4 Member

Jun 6, 2008
    Durham, NC
    Club:
    Carolina Railhawks
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think we can (and should) officially put to rest any talk of Orlando and Rochester joining the NASL.

http://www.thedailywiz.com/2013/1/2...ando-city-sc-partners-mls-usl-pro-integration

http://blogs.democratandchronicle.com/devo/?p=8668

I had speculated before as to whether Phil Rawlins would decide to remain independent in the wake of this agreement, but he clearly believes partnering with MLS and making OCSC a reserve team is the better move here. And why not? It strengthens the club's ties with MLS, the league it eventually wants to join as an expansion team, and that can't hurt it too much, really.

So that's that. Only USL club that seems capable of moving to NASL now is Charleston, and I don't see that happening.

10. Yoshou

Yoshou Fan of the CCL Champ

May 12, 2009
    Seattle
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I doubt the MLS-USL affiliation announcements are done.. I wouldn't be surprised if Charleston and the Sounders announce an affiliation. We've sent some players to them in the past and have done joint player combines with them as well.

11. Prosoccercdn

Prosoccercdn Member+

Aug 6, 2011
    Club:
    FC Edmonton
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    And some D3 fanboys actually think its realistic that San Antonio Scorpions become a feeder/reserve team for Houston and suggest the Dynamo convince the Scorpions to move DOWN to the Division 3 USL Pro reserve league:

https://www.bigsoccer.com/community/threads/mls-to-affiliate-with-usl-pro-clubs.1947984/page-11

Am I missing something or is this USL Pro's Tim Holt style lunacy thinking at its worst!

12. ceezmad

ceezmad Member+

Mar 4, 2010
    Chicago
    Club:
    Chicago Red Stars
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Well they have their own WhiteStarWarriors.

13. Mikey mouse

Mikey mouse Member

Jul 27, 1999
    Charleston, SC
    Club:
    Charleston
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I don't think anyone can compare to WW! Bless his socks...

14. WhiteStar Warriors

Mar 25, 2007
    St.Pete/Krakow
    Club:
    FC Tampa Bay Rowdies
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  15. SoccerPrime

SoccerPrime Moderator
    Staff Member

All of them
    Apr 14, 2003
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  16. WhiteStar Warriors

Mar 25, 2007
    St.Pete/Krakow
    Club:
    FC Tampa Bay Rowdies
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    We shall see what happens. The guy plays for NT at least.

17. SoccerPrime

SoccerPrime Moderator
    Staff Member

All of them
    Apr 14, 2003
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    He played for the U-21 Bosnian team and he is 23. He is not a NT player. At least not yet.

18. WhiteStar Warriors

Mar 25, 2007
    St.Pete/Krakow
    Club:
    FC Tampa Bay Rowdies
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  19. bullsear

bullsear Member

Feb 17, 2009
    Club:
    Newcastle United FC
    This alignment sounds good for MLS and USL on several levels; good for development of the top tier clubs, good for the bottom line of the USL teams, and good for MLS Reserves (and USL-Pro) in that they get game experience against better players.

But if this is a "historic day" for the US Soccer Pyramid, it's only in the sense that this is the day we moved even further from a traditional soccer pyramid and toward a US sports minor league affiliation system.

Personally, that's not what I want for lower division soccer in the US, and I don't think it's what's best for markets which necessarily cannot have an MLS club.

So in short, I'd say that you're correct: we can (and should have long ago) put this OCFC and Rochester to NASL talk to bed. Not happening. Never was.

However, I still don't think that OCFC strengthening their ties to MLS in this way actually says anything about their chances of jumping up. After all, now MLS has a vested interest in their staying down.

20. Permanent4

Permanent4 Member

Jun 6, 2008
    Durham, NC
    Club:
    Carolina Railhawks
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It's not really what I want, either. The thought of the Carolina RailHawks becoming the soccer equivalent of the Durham Bulls would take some of the excitement out of it for me.

That said, the USA is big enough for independent minor league baseball, so I don't see a reason that an independent 2nd-division soccer league couldn't co-exist with an MLS farm system. There are plenty of good footballers to go around, and there are plenty of cities filled with soccer fans that would be happy to have a club to support. MLS isn't going to add expansion teams quickly, either, so if the NASL can keep from imploding for another 3-4 seasons, it will start to look viable to potential ownership groups in some of those cities.

Money talks. So does municipal support and a good stadium plan. Orlando has all three right now. Plus, Don Garber wants an MLS team in the Southeast. All those things together would seem to trump any "vested interest" the league might have in keeping OC as SKC's farm team. Besides, USL could probably find a PDL club capable of replacing OC if/when they do join MLS. (And maybe this farm system setup would prevent the club that moves up from failing within two years.)

21. MLSinSTL

MLSinSTL Member+

Columbus Crew
    United States
    Mar 20, 2009
    Ohio - near a city
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  22. RAL_United

RAL_United Member

Nov 1, 2011
    Raleigh
    Club:
    Carolina Railhawks
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    How funny would it be if Tampa's new USL team (VSI? Flames?) became the minor league affiliate for Orlando MLS?! Then they technically could say they brought MLS to Tampa... just 4 of the loaned players though.

23. WhiteStar Warriors

Mar 25, 2007
    St.Pete/Krakow
    Club:
    FC Tampa Bay Rowdies
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Those players are reserve players.

24. soccerFrank

soccerFrank Member

Dec 11, 2011
    Club:
    Rochester Rhinos
    Funny how in my market (Rochester) all the press reports and blogs seem to indicate that the Rhinos will be getting 5 players on loan from the Revs ( without ever mentioning they're reserve players). Then theres the game against the Montreal Impact Reserve club that implies it will be a match against past longtime rival Montreal Impact MLS squad.
    Most of this seems to be spun be the Rhinos FO and the paper and tv stations just go with what they tell them....the local media is so hungry for stories they'll just report it without looking into anything more.
    I know this will come off as being negative, just do a search for yourself and see ....I'm not bs'ing anyone here.
    The Rhinos need to sell tix and exploit this in any way they can, I guess I don't blame them for misleading things....The WNY Flash (womens pro team) is rolling over them with season ticket sales so this might spark a little interest in the Rhinos.

brentgoulet repped this.
  25. WhiteStar Warriors

Mar 25, 2007
    St.Pete/Krakow
    Club:
    FC Tampa Bay Rowdies
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    If by blogs you mean Soccer sam and Devo they have hatred against NASL ever since they broke away.