NASL News 2012

Discussion in 'NASL' started by ceezmad, Dec 12, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. MLSinSTL

MLSinSTL Member+

Columbus Crew
    United States
    Mar 20, 2009
    Ohio - near a city
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Two new podcasts are up on IMSoccer News that are a good listen.
    http://www.insidemnsoccer.com/2012/01/18/nasl-podcast-episode-20-part-1/

http://www.insidemnsoccer.com/2012/01/18/nasl-podcast-episode-20-part-2/

Some interesting news out of them as well like...
    • FC Edmonton most likely playing at a new stadium (new to them) just not sure where yet.
    • Strikers have an interested party to buy them but BQ wouldn't disclose them yet.
    • Much much more.
    Also, IMSoccer reports that 3 Eddies are headed to the Canadian Olympic team.

http://www.insidemnsoccer.com/2012/01/19/three-eddies-headed-to-canadian-olympic-training-camp/

1 person likes this.
  2. Smoke & Mirrors

Jul 18, 2010
    Club:
    Ft Lauderdale Strikers
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    IMS NASL podcasts are definitely worth a listen. Solid stuff from BQ and friends every time! If you're an NASL fan, you should be listening to them as well as following IMS regularly. You won't be sorry.

I've heard a number of different things swirling around the Strikers recently. I think in the not too distant future we're going to see some things changing down here.

3. Jossed

Jossed Member+

Apr 23, 2011
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    So can we officially start the Strikers to MLS as team #20, 21, 22, 23, or 24 rumors?

4. SoccerPrime

SoccerPrime Moderator
    Staff Member

All of them
    Apr 14, 2003
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I heard the IMS Podcast where they talked about someone buying the Strikers. Anyone guessing it might be Marcelo Claure? That would be big news I think.

5. speedcake

speedcake Member

Dec 2, 1999
    Tampa
    Club:
    FC Tampa Bay Rowdies
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Hearing lots of interesting chatter regarding some goings on down that way. Haven't been able to piece it all together yet, hopefully some real news comes out soon.

6. MLSinSTL

MLSinSTL Member+

Columbus Crew
    United States
    Mar 20, 2009
    Ohio - near a city
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    There was an interesting interview with Adrian H. from the Sounders in the MLS news & analysis thread.

Here's what I found most interesting ...(Would you like to see the league have full reserve teams?) "Potentially. That's certainly one way of doing it, of developing younger players. Right now ... there still are a lot of good teams and a lot of good players in that sort of dysfunctional second division and third division, so that's also a good way to develop players. Our 10 games that we play in the Reserve League are, I think, a good 10 games and maybe potentially (the league's direction) is to build on that. But there's always the possibility of some sort of affiliation with a League 2, some sort of more uniform League 2 that sits under MLS. So yes, more games and more important games for some of the reserve guys is a good thing. What that looks like in the future, I can't guarantee."

I always think Adrian's good for quotes like these. In the end, it means nothing right now. But IMO it's good to hear that MLS guys talk about it too (not just us posters on BS).

7. Smoke & Mirrors

Jul 18, 2010
    Club:
    Ft Lauderdale Strikers
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    From what I hear, Claure isn't the "interested party" looking at purchasing the Strikers. It's possible he could get in on the group, but sadly I think the sentiment is that he still believes erroneously that American club soccer would somehow work in Miami for him when it hasn't ever for anyone else. People with a lot of money sometimes like to think they're smarter than everyone else, so they ignore things like history and facts. No matter how much you want to wave a wand and wish for it, 70,000+ for Barca does not equate to consistent long term support for an MLS franchise in Miami. I think he'd just assume pass on the Strikers, and opt for starting from scratch to the south, if he were to try and get into an MLS bid situation again.

8. ceezmad

ceezmad Member+

Mar 4, 2010
    Chicago
    Club:
    Chicago Red Stars
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  9. Intru

Intru Member

Mar 16, 2006
    Rochester, NY
    Club:
    Puerto Rico Islanders
  10. ceezmad

ceezmad Member+

Mar 4, 2010
    Chicago
    Club:
    Chicago Red Stars
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    33 is not bad

Navia for Atlanta is 35 I think.

San Antonio just signed a 37 year old player/coach.

11. speedcake

speedcake Member

Dec 2, 1999
    Tampa
    Club:
    FC Tampa Bay Rowdies
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    38, unless I read the press release wrong.

12. Jossed

Jossed Member+

Apr 23, 2011
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    You are not going to get a decent club player to sign in his prime to play D2 in North America. Not as those wages and with the reputation of the league. You are going to have to get a very young player looking to use your team as a stepping stone or someone past their prime who doesn't have MLS as an option.

I wonder how the other MLS owners feel about this? They could just buy the NASL and make it their own League 2. Or form their own. If they wanted to waste some money.

13. speedcake

speedcake Member

Dec 2, 1999
    Tampa
    Club:
    FC Tampa Bay Rowdies
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Saying a 37-38 year old is merely "past their prime" seems like a stretch. Not saying he can't contribute, maybe even a great deal. Our own Yamada is getting up there in years and he is one of our more important players.

But let's call a spade a spade, for field players 37-38 is over the hill and there is a reason that even in D2/D3 U.S. soccer there aren't many that old floating around.

Looks like he was brought in as much for his off the field potential as anything else, so that could be good for them as well.

14. Smoke & Mirrors

Jul 18, 2010
    Club:
    Ft Lauderdale Strikers
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    Old isn't the problem. They already have smallish, quick players up front in Nunez and Shriver. Where the Strikers struggled mightily last year up front was in trying to win balls in the air. They're doing nothing so far to help that, because signing a 5'9" guy isn't shoring this up....

15. Hax

Hax BigSoccer Supporter

Feb 1, 2000
    Former U.S. U-20 midfielder Vincenzo Bernardo will be attending the NASL combine. Bernardo came through the Napoli youth system before playing for F.C. Höchst in the Austrian third division and signing with the Harrisburg City Islanders. He only appeared in one game for Harrisburg last season, the USL-PRO final, because it took forever for his international clearance to arrive. Having only seen him play once (besides warmups), I can say that he's short but creative. He would've had an assist in the final after playing a terrific cross from the wing, but Jose Angulo headed it off the crossbar. He previously had looks from MLS teams, but I think he needs to play more than anything and NASL would be a good move. The kid is still very young, just 21 years old.

http://vincenzobernardo.com/english/?p=321

16. SoccerPrime

SoccerPrime Moderator
    Staff Member

All of them
    Apr 14, 2003
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Since Ft Lauderdale has made so few signings this off-season, maybe they will be looking at Vincenzo.

17. speedcake

speedcake Member

Dec 2, 1999
    Tampa
    Club:
    FC Tampa Bay Rowdies
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    well I certainly hope they make SOME signings. Otherwise we may as well just leave the Coastal Cup in its case here in Tampa.

:D

18. ChrisE

ChrisE Member

Jul 1, 2002
    Brooklyn
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    American Samoa
    Just to be clear, Herron is 33 right now, turning 34 in a month.

19. speedcake

speedcake Member

Dec 2, 1999
    Tampa
    Club:
    FC Tampa Bay Rowdies
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I was talking about San Antonio's signing.

20. MLSinSTL

MLSinSTL Member+

Columbus Crew
    United States
    Mar 20, 2009
    Ohio - near a city
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    As the season draws nearer I'll try to post regular links to any local or national articles about the NASL & it's teams. Here are a few to start...

RailHawks add top-ranked defender - Cary News
    The Carolina RailHawks brought in their biggest name so far this offseason as the team signed 20-year-old defender Gale Agbossoumonde on Thursday. Agbossoumonde has experience playing on the U-23 US men's national team. He comes to Carolina on loan ...

Rowdies plan Select-A-Seat - Tampa Bay Newspapers
    The Tampa Bay Rowdies will host their annual Select-A-Seat event on Saturday, Feb. 25, 10 am to 2 pm, at Al Lang Stadium in downtown St.

Signings in Carolina & Ft Lauderdale, NASL Combine- IMSoccer News
    In other news, the Atlanta Silverbacks announced their 2012 preseason schedule, including two matches against other professional clubs.

21. MLSinSTL

MLSinSTL Member+

Columbus Crew
    United States
    Mar 20, 2009
    Ohio - near a city
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Another article about Gale joining the Railhawks. IMO Ives adds some more to the story and it's a good read.

Agbossoumonde joins RailHawks hoping to find form, playing time - Soccer By Ives
    Carolina was the best option." For Agbossoumonde, the RailHawks offered him an ideal place to develop. He is projected to be a starter for the club and will ...

References the Islanders, but it's not about them. It appears some other club wants to become the team in Puerto Rico. IIRC this team was in the USL Pro last year.
    Bayamon, Puerto Rico's new power - Fifa.com
    In a region where sides from Mexico, USA, Costa Rica and Honduras usually hold sway, complete outsiders Puerto Rico Islanders stormed all the way to the ...

22. Usmaman

Usmaman Member

Jun 22, 2005
    NY
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    I read this, and I was surprised. I have no idea what this club is. It wasn't in USL Pro last year, and it wasn't even in the Puerto Rico Soccer League. And unless the 2012 Copa de Puerto Rico is something new, I've never heard of that either. And how is this club affiliated with Sevilla when they already have a subsidiary club in Juncos (though that agreement has collapsed, IIRC).

Maybe an Islander can fill me in? I love reading about soccer in PR, but this is just confusing.

Non-edit edit: Through a thorough reading of the article and a quick look at Wikipedia, it looks like they won the 2nd division. Have they been promoted to the PRSL?

23. Intru

Intru Member

Mar 16, 2006
    Rochester, NY
    Club:
    Puerto Rico Islanders
    Bayamon wasn't allowed to play in the PRSL last year because the owners didn't get along with the league, but quality wise Bayamon is one of the strongest clubs on the local circuit. The league pretty much collapse lats year and what the federation is doing is running a new pro league using the teams that are still willing to play. Bayamon has a youth system that was fed by the old Islanders youth system which was given to Bayamon FC when the Islanders didn't wan't to run it anymore.

24. MLSinSTL

MLSinSTL Member+

Columbus Crew
    United States
    Mar 20, 2009
    Ohio - near a city
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The11.ca has very good coverage of the Eddies. I recommend anyone who likes following the NASL check out their site for news about the sole Canadian team in the NASL this season.

FC Edmonton brass heads to NASL combine with very short wish list – The11.ca
    FC Edmonton coach Harry Sinkgraven and assistant Hans Schrijver headed off to Florida Thursday afternoon to take in this weekend’s NASL combine, in which six Canadian hopefuls will participate. But, there’s very little room left …

These are all from NASL.com for those of you that don’t check their website for news already…

NASL Combine Enjoy Successful Opening Day
    Day one of the NASL Combine concluded successfully Friday evening in Fort Lauderdale, with seven goals scored between the two games. Over 70 players from 15 different countries were invited to …

Silverbacks Launch Owner's Challenge
    The Atlanta Silverbacks announced the launch of the “Owner’s Challenge” on Friday, giving anyone in the community an opportunity to play a soccer game against Silverbacks owner…

Scorpions To Play Exhibition vs. Cuauhtemoc Blanco led Dorados
    SAN ANTONIO – San Antonio’s new professional soccer team, the Scorpions FC, will get a chance to test their pre-season progress Wednesday, March 14, against Club Dorados de Sinaloa, a…

25. MLSinSTL

MLSinSTL Member+

Columbus Crew
    United States
    Mar 20, 2009
    Ohio - near a city
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Not about the current NASL, but a good article anyways….
    THE VERY FIRST DRAFT CHOICE Long Island's Alain Maca was the NASL's first pick ... - Big Apple Soccer
    Even before he could walk, Alain Maca was destined to make soccer history in the United States. When Maca was only four months old, his father Joe Maca played for the US National Team, which shocked the soccer world and England as it ...

FC Edmonton Teams Up with Edmonton Tourism FCEdmonton.com
    FC Edmonton, the cities newest professional sports...