NASL News 2012

Discussion in 'NASL' started by ceezmad, Dec 12, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. bullsear

bullsear Member

Feb 17, 2009
    Club:
    Newcastle United FC
    It's been a while, but when I was certified Grade 8 (and later Grade 7), I was told that abandoning the match due to outside forces like weather were decided based on Laws 5 and 7. Law 5 states that referees have the right to suspend matches due to outside interference (I was told weather counts as such). Law 7 states that all abandoned matches must be replayed unless otherwise stipulated by competition format.

I also just received a message from the Minnesota Stars (via Facebook) that the policy is that for an abandoned match to be counted as a full result, the game must be at least 1 minute into the second half, and must be by agreement of the official as well as both coaches.

Before hearing from them, I was afraid that this might have been a case of a referee receiving pressure from coaches and not knowing official league policy. Technically, though, a referee can make the decision to abandon a match (thus forcing a replay) at any time which is deemed fit given that referees interpretation of the Laws. Of course, if you make a wrong decision and also go against the coaches and the league, you'll probably never work anywhere near that level again.
    I was glad to hear the league has a concrete policy for these things. The article over at Bleacher report assumed that there was not one and ran with it for about a third of the article (big surprise there).

2. kenntomasch

kenntomasch Member+

Sep 2, 1999
    Out West
    Club:
    FC Tampa Bay Rowdies
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Asking questions just takes too long, man. Just opine, don't report.

3. USRufnex

USRufnex Red Card

Tulsa Athletic / Sheffield United
    United States
    Jul 15, 2000
    Tulsa, OK
    Club:
    --other--
    Well, that's easy for you to say, I suppose... if you're looking for a wider grass field, this seems to be okay for NPSL... http://goo.gl/maps/GyHys

It's unfortunate that TU's downsizing didn't involve a widening of the sidelines; it had been discussed before... https://www.bigsoccer.com/community/threads/no-future-tulsa-stadium.58991/#post-1316417
    The best option, obviously, would be to build a soccer specific stadium... however, this IS minor league soccer, and given the choices available, I'd hate for a prospective owner to be turned away based on field dimensions that were a few yards too narrow... what is the field width at Heroes Stadium?

4. teucer

teucer Member

Dec 17, 2009
    Raleigh, NC, USA
    Club:
    Carolina Railhawks
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yup. It's not a great rule, in that I think it creates pressure for the coach to do precisely what Manny did - stick it out beyond all reason, then push for a reduced warmup period on the field for his players (though Clarke saw to it that they got a full 20 minutes) before resuming the game when everyone's muscles are stiff from 45 minutes of play and nearly four hours of rest.

It's not a good situation, but it's not one I can blame Manny Lagos for - he did what he had to do to push for a point. I'd like to see the league require the match to be abandoned after a certain amount of lightning delay, probably 2-3 hours or so. (I'd also love to see Manny's desired rule change implemented - matches are replayed if they're abandoned before the 60' mark.)

The referee in question does not have any reason to fear for his job, as he is also an MLS ref. And I am told there was a league rep on the phone with them when they discussed the possibility of abandoning the match, so there is no question of not knowing league rules.

5. kenntomasch

kenntomasch Member+

Sep 2, 1999
    Out West
    Club:
    FC Tampa Bay Rowdies
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Remember, at this level, there are often also logistical issues involved with a replay, as travel factors into the equation. And the game has to be played at some point.

Back in 1999 in the A-League, we had a match suspended (oddly enough, it was in the second half and wasn't just abandoned, I think it was tied and it was back in the day when there were no ties) and it was determined it would be made up the next time the opponent came to town. We'd resume the suspended game and THEN play the originally-scheduled game.

So we resumed the first game, won that 2-1, then played the originally-scheduled game and that went to shootout (won that, too).

With the replay, the team ended up playing 90 on the road on Saturday, 90 at home on the Sunday, 90 at home the Wednesday against the Rapids in an exhibition, 40 or so minutes of the resumed game on the Friday, THEN the shootout game. So in a week's time, we played 4 1/2 games, which might be a record.

6. ceezmad

ceezmad Member+

Mar 4, 2010
    Chicago
    Club:
    Chicago Red Stars
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    http://nasl.com/index.php?id=3&newsid=2961

7. brentgoulet

brentgoulet Member+

Oct 12, 2005
    PuertoPlata, DomRep
    NASL player of the month last june, big loss for the Rowdies

8. kenntomasch

kenntomasch Member+

Sep 2, 1999
    Out West
    Club:
    FC Tampa Bay Rowdies
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    You'd hope they got some jack out of it.

This is a rare instance of a second-division player being sold, so that's noteworthy.

9. brentgoulet

brentgoulet Member+

Oct 12, 2005
    PuertoPlata, DomRep
    Mitfielder Mark Anderson just scored his goal number 11, another beauty of course

10. Evil Genius

Evil Genius Member

Jun 6, 2004
    Southern Minnesota
    A hell of a tough week, but no cigar.

kenntomasch repped this.
  11. kenntomasch

kenntomasch Member+

Sep 2, 1999
    Out West
    Club:
    FC Tampa Bay Rowdies
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    How about in this country? ;)

12. Evil Genius

Evil Genius Member

Jun 6, 2004
    Southern Minnesota
    Okay, I'll give you that ;)

13. USRufnex

USRufnex Red Card

United States
    Jul 15, 2000
    Tulsa, OK
    Club:
    --other--
  14. brentgoulet

brentgoulet Member+

Oct 12, 2005
    PuertoPlata, DomRep
  15. USRufnex

USRufnex Red Card

United States
    Jul 15, 2000
    Tulsa, OK
    Club:
    --other--
    oops. let's try again....
    Don’t insult Bikini Hockey League with comparisons to Lingerie Football League

http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/nhl-p...ey-league-comparisons-lingerie-142336800.html

16. Bluesfan

Bluesfan Member+

DC United
    Aug 12, 2000
    Tampa
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    Scotland
    Why Tulsa? Is it a hotbed for inline hockey? A magnet for hot chicks? Nothing else going on in Tulsa?

Inquiring minds want to know :sneaky:

17. USRufnex

USRufnex Red Card

United States
    Jul 15, 2000
    Tulsa, OK
    Club:
    --other--
  18. MLSinSTL

MLSinSTL Member+

Columbus Crew
    United States
    Mar 20, 2009
    Ohio - near a city
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Saiko sinks Islanders - Edmonton Sun‎
    It was the kind of return striker Shaun Saiko and FC Edmonton were looking for. Coming off the bench in the last game and being left off the ...

Poor Officiating Plus Minnesota Mistake Leads to Another San Antonio Win - IMSoccer News‎
    ... That's something the NASL Minnesota Stars do not have much of as a ...

Strikers earn needed shutout - Sun-Sentinel‎

Silverbacks Earn Draw Against Red-Hot Rowdies - Patch.com‎
    The Atlanta Silverbacks and Tampa Bay Rowdies played to a 0-0 draw Saturday ....

Eddies creep towards playoff berth - Edmonton Journal

FC Edmonton Look to Pick Up Win Against Puerto Rico Islanders - Oye! Times‎

FCE back in the playoff chase with home win over Puerto Rico – the11.ca

19. XaviusX

XaviusX Member

Mar 21, 2001
    Tampa, Florida
    Club:
    FC Tampa Bay Rowdies
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  20. Smoke & Mirrors

Jul 18, 2010
    Club:
    Ft Lauderdale Strikers
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    Dude, the league itself is funding this stadium. Anyone who ever thought #20 would be anything but NY2 was on crack. When and how far beyond 20 the league expands is anyone's guess, but I wouldn't bet against it happening at this point. 22? 24? More? Hard to say. But I think it makes total sense what was said a while back about a pause after 20. They need to see how the economics of the game continue to evovle (hopefully continuing to grow). The next tv contract is going to be a big indicator as well.

Antique repped this.
  21. kenntomasch

kenntomasch Member+

Sep 2, 1999
    Out West
    Club:
    FC Tampa Bay Rowdies
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    NY2 will be followed by a comma, not a period. There's no "Orlando (or anybody else) is screwed." Only in the minds of impatient fanboys.

Sevin repped this.
  22. Antique

Antique Member

Nov 11, 2008
    the river of grass
    Club:
    Ft Lauderdale Strikers
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The question is when & where.

23. Smoke & Mirrors

Jul 18, 2010
    Club:
    Ft Lauderdale Strikers
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    Isn't this what I just said? Except without insulting any BS forum posters? LOL Oh wait, there was that whole "on crack" thing I said about anyone who was foolish enough to believe team 20 would be someone other than NY2....heh.....

24. kenntomasch

kenntomasch Member+

Sep 2, 1999
    Out West
    Club:
    FC Tampa Bay Rowdies
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I wasn't speaking to you. Or about you.

25. brentgoulet

brentgoulet Member+

Oct 12, 2005