NASL Live

Discussion in 'NASL' started by Prosoccercdn, Apr 20, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Prosoccercdn

Prosoccercdn Member+

Aug 6, 2011
    Club:
    FC Edmonton
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    A thread to discuss NASL Live, would like to hear others experiences and tips, and what system their using(PC, Android, IOS, Smart TV).

3 Excellent streams today from the Indy vs Tampa, San Antonio vs Atlanta, and the ESPN NASL game of the week Ft Lauderdale vs Carolina.

Ottawa vs Minnesota had marginal video quality but no lag and good audio. Equipment at Ottawa's temp stadium may explain the video quality, the streams from Lansdowne Stadium in the Fall season should be much improved.

Edmonton vs New York had good video quality but audio was a bit ahead of the video for me. Not sure if it was my computer or not as I watched a movie later and audio was out of sync slightly as well.

Overall improved this week, the links to game problems of last week were gone and I switched around between the games no problem. Has anyone tried the Android or IOS apps this week? Using a PC is the best setup, I had mine hooked up to a LCD TV this week via HDMI which looked excellent.

2. bkelly

bkelly New Member

Feb 24, 2010
    Club:
    FC Tampa Bay Rowdies
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I watched the Tampa Bay vs Indy game, used a PC which I hooked up to LCD TV with an HDMI cable. Game feed ran smoothly and I wouldn't complain if this was free for the year, but if I had paid for this I would've been highly disappointed and not renewing my subscription when it ran out. I tried to blow it up to full screen but all it does is move the image to the corner of screen and put a block border around it. The video quality was also well below standard if they want to continue charging for this service. I would like to also add that the camera angles were less than ideal, as there were times when ball was passed into attacking 3rd and the camera continued to stay focused on the near half field while the action was taking place out of screen.

3. speedcake

speedcake Member

Dec 2, 1999
    Tampa
    Club:
    FC Tampa Bay Rowdies
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I have noticed no difference so far in the quality of the product between last year and this year. The Rowdies game was very pixelated, the camera work often left much to be desired, and all in all I was disappointed. I'm only on the free trial right now, and am considering not paying. Free, this quality is fine. As a service we are being asked to pay for? Not even close to good enough.

I also noticed the audio in the Edmonton game being out of sync with the video.

FNovoa repped this.
  4. FNovoa

FNovoa Member

Dec 28, 2000
    Redington Shores, FL
    Club:
    FC Tampa Bay Rowdies
    #4 FNovoa, Apr 21, 2014
    Last edited: Apr 21, 2014
    speedy hit the nail on the head. I have a(n) new cpu and the feed was still pixelated. It never froze once. However, the stream was perfect on my phone and ipad.

This is not what I had in mind when I was saying I'd have no problem paying for a feed (i've said this for a few years now) if it improved it (the stream). So far, it looks like status quo with the feed itself. I hope it improves.

5. Prosoccercdn

Prosoccercdn Member+

Aug 6, 2011
    Club:
    FC Edmonton
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    #5 Prosoccercdn, Apr 21, 2014
    Last edited: Apr 21, 2014
    At least I know it wasn't my computer then with the out of sync audio.

The Tampa Bay game opening week against FCE and also the Ft Lauderdale opening weekend game was a positive surprise for me as the feeds were excellent quality compared to last seasons home games for those teams and I specifically hoped for better video quality for their feeds as last season they were the worst clarity wise.

With a service like this it can really depend on different variables - I have 3 computers and tried 2 of them on Saturday, one without a quality video card which played a stream that was pixelated quite a bit and another with a newer video card I installed last week that produced an excellent picture. I wouldn't use a computer that doesn't have a dedicated decent video card in it, if its using onboard video it won't give the greatest results even if its a newer computer.

Good to know the phone and ipad streams were good, is the phone android or IOS?

I'll be sticking with my season subscription as $4.99 a month is quite cheap and overall I've had good results and better quality than last season, but they have to keep improving it and tweaking the system.

6. Prosoccercdn

Prosoccercdn Member+

Aug 6, 2011
    Club:
    FC Edmonton
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    If you try to go full screen and it puts the image in the corner then its your video settings, I had this when I played around with increasing my resolution settings and if I put the rez too high it did that.

One tip I found out the first week - when I went to full screen after a stream had started it would put the picture towards the top of the screen and fill about 70% with a black border on the bottom. However, if you hover the curser over the ">|" button (after hitting full screen which has the black border on the bottom) it says "skip to live" (even though you would think it is live) and then if you click it it will give you a 100% full screen picture. Weird but it works every time to give me 100% full screen.

7. Onionsack

Onionsack BigSoccer Yellow Card

Jul 21, 2003
    New York City
    Club:
    FC Girondins de Bordeaux
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Is it even supported yet? They didn't tell us till after we bought the subscription that it does not support iOS apps yet. Which sucked because that meant i had to buy a third party browser from the app store that would support Flash for the streams on NASL Live.

8. FNovoa

FNovoa Member

Dec 28, 2000
    Redington Shores, FL
    Club:
    FC Tampa Bay Rowdies

Phone is android (4.4.2), an the ipad air is iOs 7 (7.1)

I purchased a AMD Radeon HD 7900 series for my cpu (to run diablo 3 and it's expansions...and of course elder scrolls online). sometimes it was crystal clear and the it got pixelated. So i really don't know, this cpu was built in Jan 2014..FWIW

9. FNovoa

FNovoa Member

Dec 28, 2000
    Redington Shores, FL
    Club:
    FC Tampa Bay Rowdies
    The NASL app is ready to download in the app store. Your iOS version has to be 6 or above. I have a 1st gen ipad and it wouldn't work on it. (that 1st gen still working liking a charm...excpet for all the new apps i can't DL.)

10. ironcub14

ironcub14 Member

Jun 16, 2005
    Club:
    Ottawa Fury
    Nat'l Team:
    Korea Republic
    I used NASL Live for the last two weeks to watch Ottawa. First week, I watched the live feed, and the second week, I watched it on my laptop a couple days after the game, after watching it live at the stadium.

I've used the iPhone app, the iPad app and the laptop, and the live feed from the first week looked really sharp on the iPhone and the iPad, but was laggy on my (pretty new) laptop. However, the iPhone and the iPad app "lost" the live feed around halftime, so I watched it from the laptop for the 2nd half.

The full match replay from the past weekend, it looked great on the laptop though. However, I noticed that we could not watch the full match replays on the iOS apps, so I sent NASL a note about this. It would be pretty nice to be able to watch the full match replays from the phone as a bedtime viewing... (because footy puts us to sleep anyways, am I right? :D)

11. newtex

newtex Member+

May 25, 2005
    Houston
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Is NASL Live working for anyone this afternoon? I'm trying to watch the Ottawa game and all I get is color bars.

12. Prosoccercdn

Prosoccercdn Member+

Aug 6, 2011
    Club:
    FC Edmonton
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    Technical difficulties with the Otawa Fury vs Carolina Game, got color bars as well.
    Statement coming from NASL soon.
    On the good side Ottawa is winning!;)

13. Darkwing McQuack

Darkwing McQuack BigSoccer Supporter

Nov 11, 2011
    Morrisville, PA
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Another week and still having technical difficulties. I really feel bad for the people who are paying to this.

14. Prosoccercdn

Prosoccercdn Member+

Aug 6, 2011
    Club:
    FC Edmonton
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    Sucked for me as I really wanted to watch the Ottawa vs Carolina game today and it was pretty frustrating looking at the color bars every time I checked, dissapointing. Then the Strikers game having the same issues, they have to get the problems smoothed out ASAP.

On the positive side the Minnesota, New York Cosmos, and Tampa Bay streams were excellent quality today. And considering the cheap $4.99 a month its still worth it form me considering the price per game it works out to is peanuts.

15. Darkwing McQuack

Nov 11, 2011
    Morrisville, PA
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    NASL said they will address these issues tomorrow. Lets hope they do.

http://www.nasl.com/article/uuid/1bui2x577tu30ztrmn0xw710h/nasl-live-april-26#.U10L6V7mZCq

16. ceezmad

ceezmad Member+

Mar 4, 2010
    Chicago
    Club:
    Chicago Red Stars
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Well people have until Wednesday to cancel their subscriptions and not pay a penny.

Right?

17. Darkwing McQuack

Nov 11, 2011
    Morrisville, PA
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm not sure about that, lol. The league is supposed to issue a statement on the issue today. Whether that happens or not is another story.

18. stphnsn

stphnsn Member+

Jan 30, 2009
    i started my 10 day trial on saturday, so i plan on cancelling after this saturday's game. indy's game from saturday still isn't up on nasl's site. i'm glad i'm not paying for this.

19. newtex

newtex Member+

May 25, 2005
    Houston
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Do any of you use the NASL iphone app? Does it show scores anywhere on there? I can't seem to find them. It's hard for me to believe they wouldn't have a scoreboard on the app. Does anyone else have a good app for live NASL scores?

20. Darkwing McQuack

Nov 11, 2011
    Morrisville, PA
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    If you tap the 3 lines in the top left corner the click schedule it'll pull up that weeks scores.

21. newtex

newtex Member+

May 25, 2005
    Houston
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    I can get the schedule but I never get any scores on that page.

22. Darkwing McQuack

Nov 11, 2011
    Morrisville, PA
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Ah, yea the home page and schedule is the only way to view the scores on it. I've noticed though on mine it can take them forever to update the scores.

23. Prosoccercdn

Prosoccercdn Member+

Aug 6, 2011
    Club:
    FC Edmonton
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    #23 Prosoccercdn, Apr 28, 2014
    Last edited: Apr 28, 2014
    FREE TRIAL OF NASL LIVE EXTENDED THROUGH SPRING 2014 SEASON

http://www.nasl.com/article/uuid/l1...ended-through-spring-2014-season#.U17aglVdVCh

Good on the NASL for extending the free trial for the Spring Season and lowering the season pass to $19.95.

Now they have to work hard to get rid of the kinks and maintain reliability of the system - stream quality is improved by quite a margin from last season when streams are working but last weekends problem of Ottawa and Ft Lauderdale streams not working shouldn't happen again, especially 2 on the same day!

24. HailtotheKing

HailtotheKing Member+

San Antonio FC
    United States
    Dec 1, 2008
    TEXAS
    Club:
    San Antonio Scorpions FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    So I just sign up like normal and the price change will be reflected ?

Everything is still the same on the actual sign up (the splash page has been changed).

25. Prosoccercdn

Prosoccercdn Member+

Aug 6, 2011
    Club:
    FC Edmonton
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    You would sign up with the free trial and either monthly or season pass option, you have till July 11 apparently to cancel. Guess they have'nt changed the prices on the sign up page yet but they wouldn't come into play until July 11 when if you haven't cancelled then charges would apply.

For those that already bought a seasons pass for $29.99 then NASL will be crediting them for $10 to reflect the $19.99 seasons pass price.

HailtotheKing repped this.