Oakland & San Francisco-Bay Area (non-Earthquakes) pro soccer.

Discussion in 'San Jose Earthquakes' started by SJTillIDie, Nov 15, 2013.

1. falvo

falvo Member+

Mar 27, 2005
    San Jose & Florence
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    Dream WEAVERS! ;)

2. falvo

falvo Member+

Mar 27, 2005
    San Jose & Florence
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    #127 falvo, Dec 4, 2013
    Last edited: Dec 4, 2013
    I think Soccer Silicon Valley had stated back in 04/05 even with all the Bay Area hi tech companies , the only one who really listened about purchasing the Quakes was Lew Wolff. I know times have changed and even Don Garber stated yesterday that there are a ton of investors knocking on the door trying to get into MLS, not sure though how many interested parties really care about investing in the new NASL though.

3. athletics68

athletics68 Member+

Dec 12, 2006
    San Diego & San Jose
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The other thing is how many nascent NASL owners really want to be in NASL long term. We know the Cosmos owners didn't want to be, they wanted to move up to MLS. It was only after they were passed over that they decided to get behind being an NASL team and started their push to try and elevate NASL up above what it is in the public consciousness... it hasn't worked particularly well.

4. falvo

falvo Member+

Mar 27, 2005
    San Jose & Florence
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    #129 falvo, Dec 4, 2013
    I think the Cosmos had every intention of going into MLS initially but they didn't want to pay the $100 million expansion fee as they their thinking was they would rather invest that money on players and on their stadium. In retrospect, considering they won the league in their initial season and they probably would have struggled (I.E.) Chivas TFC and initially anyway, RSL not to mention our Quakes to a point, they probably did the right thing by going to the NASL.

5. DotMPP

DotMPP 'Quakes fan in Stumptown

San Jose Earthquakes
    United States
    Jun 29, 2004
    SE Portland, OR
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    This year they win NASL, next year they march into the US Open Cup final.

6. athletics68

athletics68 Member+

Dec 12, 2006
    San Diego & San Jose
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    You say that like the Open Cup means anything...

7. falvo

falvo Member+

Mar 27, 2005
    San Jose & Florence
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    Open Cup means nothing. I'm wondering if NASL clubs will be admitted to the Concacaf CL though? I remember USL or minor league Canadian teams used to be....

8. Earthquake FC

Earthquake FC Member

Feb 7, 2006
    San Francisco Bay Area
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Probably within 5 years as NASL is completing their midwest and west expansion plans (Wikipedia: "18 to 20 teams by 2018"). NASL possibly in SF, LA, Phoenix, Las Vegas, Albuquerque, Detroit, St. Louis make sense for them at this point.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:NASL_2013_club_locations.png

9. athletics68

athletics68 Member+

Dec 12, 2006
    San Diego & San Jose
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yes because Wikipedia maps, broad assertions by lower level soccer executives and unicorns always indicate future expansion is at hand...

Earthshaker repped this.
  10. Quakesss

Quakesss Member+

Nov 16, 2013
    Bay Area
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The Earthquakes should affiliate with the Charleston Battery, look how nice their stadium is!

11. MakingGoals

MakingGoals Member

Sep 12, 2013
    Where are you getting this information from?

For your knowledge, the Tampa Bay Rowdies club has 2 championships, therefore earned 2 stars.

The New York Cosmos club also has won 6 championships, therefore earned 6 stars.

12. MakingGoals

MakingGoals Member

Sep 12, 2013
    Falvo is right, they are different franchises. None are the same. However they represent the men's first team of the San Jose Earthquakes, which is.

13. MakingGoals

MakingGoals Member

Sep 12, 2013
    (Cough) - CONCACAF Champions League is value enough.

14. athletics68

athletics68 Member+

Dec 12, 2006
    San Diego & San Jose
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    And yet MLS disagrees with you. And since they get the final word on the history of their own franchises... you'd be wrong.

Goodsport repped this.
  15. falvo

falvo Member+

Mar 27, 2005
    San Jose & Florence
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    I read a lot about their stadium and pub. From what I gathered, I guess their ownership group was never really interested or had much intention of jumping to MLS or expanding.

16. Sam U El

Sam U El Moderator
    Staff Member

May 31, 2013
    Seoul Korea
    Club:
    New York Cosmos
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm always amused that folks minimize the US domestic cup... That's the same as people who ridiculed MLS 18 years ago. This isn't a static display... American Domestic Soccer is fluid and ever changing. The Don said as much in his State of the League speech and in interviews yesterday. Just because it doesn't seem like much now doesn't mean it won't increase in money and exposure with the increase in the overall growth of domestic soccer. The Cup still provides a birth to the CCL... So in the short term feel free to minimize... Just keep in mind that when the Cup becomes the new best shiny stay on the wagon yer on now.

DotMPP repped this.
  17. Earthquake FC

Earthquake FC Member

Feb 7, 2006
    San Francisco Bay Area
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Exactly what an NASL SF franchise should be aiming for. With the pub inside a future NASL SF soccer-specific stadium, local SF Premier League fans frequenting SF pubs could wind up in a stadium like that IF the proper ownership was found and willing.

18. falvo

falvo Member+

Mar 27, 2005
    San Jose & Florence
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    Even though this Open Cup has been around for 100 years, its not like all that many people know or care about it. No one noticed it existed prior to MLS other than maybe the amateur clubs and even though MLS participates in it, their fans don't seem to care about it nor is it marketed all that well by either the media or the league , for that matter.

19. falvo

falvo Member+

Mar 27, 2005
    San Jose & Florence
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    It would be a great model for NASL clubs to emulate.

20. Sam U El

Sam U El Moderator
    Staff Member

May 31, 2013
    Seoul Korea
    Club:
    New York Cosmos
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Absolutely true... But that goes back to the heart of the matter that soccer is still trying to gain more standing in America. At the end of the day the US Open Cup has endured for 100 years and I think with the overall growth of Domestic Soccer the fortunes of the Cup will change as well. It could be another 10 years but people can't on one hand say, "Soccer is the fastest growing spectator sport in America!" but out of the other half of their mouth they are spouting, "Meh... the Cup is a non-factor." Not trying to derail the discussion.. please carry on.

DotMPP repped this.
  21. falvo

falvo Member+

Mar 27, 2005
    San Jose & Florence
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    #146 falvo, Dec 4, 2013
    You know, I'd love to see the new NASL San Francisco franchise win the Open Cup!

22. MakingGoals

MakingGoals Member

Sep 12, 2013
    Ha! Please, elaborate on the details, this I have to hear.

falvo repped this.
  23. MakingGoals

MakingGoals Member

Sep 12, 2013
    True.

I think every US based NASL team is aiming for that cup, as the Canadian base teams are after the Voyageurs Cup. Any NASL team that is able to capture one of these titles will be the first usher in a new view on the landscape of the game in the two countries.

24. falvo

falvo Member+

Mar 27, 2005
    San Jose & Florence
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    I remember when the San Francisco Greek Americans of the SF Soccer Football League won two U.S. Open Cups in 1985 and 1994 under former Quakes coach Lothar Osiander. You would think someone from the Greeks would head up this new SF NASL club as they were a very successful amateur team.

25. MakingGoals

MakingGoals Member

Sep 12, 2013
    Sounds interesting and I like your thought on that.