Oakland & San Francisco-Bay Area (non-Earthquakes) pro soccer.

Discussion in 'San Jose Earthquakes' started by SJTillIDie, Nov 15, 2013.

1. oneeyedfool

oneeyedfool Member+

Nov 17, 2012
    Club:
    New York Cosmos
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    You are not good with numbers or facts are you?

I agree the way they did a 33%, 67% split among the spring/fall season is stupid, mind you.

2. blurryblue

blurryblue Member+

May 25, 2013
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    It's because of the World Cup, no?

3. falvo

falvo Member+

Mar 27, 2005
    San Jose & Florence
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    Moving on up?:)
    [​IMG]

4. athletics68

athletics68 Member+

Dec 12, 2006
    San Diego & San Jose
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Huh? Are you implying the Stompers might move up? Because I'd drop any hope of that. Historically very few teams have ever moved up, and even fewer have actually survived the process. Kenn would have the exact numbers but they're not encouraging as I recall. Particularly the idea of a lowly NPSL team jumping up the functional equivalent of two levels to NASL and all the massive investment for these tiny teams that it entails.

5. falvo

falvo Member+

Mar 27, 2005
    San Jose & Florence
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    I was actually kidding. Notice the smile...:)

6. athletics68

athletics68 Member+

Dec 12, 2006
    San Diego & San Jose
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Ah ok. hard to tell on here lately. So many people on other threads have convinced themselves that lower level teams can make the jump to D2 or 3.

Quakesss repped this.
  7. falvo

falvo Member+

Mar 27, 2005
    San Jose & Florence
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
  8. athletics68

athletics68 Member+

Dec 12, 2006
    San Diego & San Jose
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    No one said anything about pro/rel. I was referring to the informal "moves up" that some teams have made ala Seattle, Montreal, etc.. that many lately seem to think NPSL and PDL teams can mimic "moving up" to D2 or D3. That despite the particulars that make such moves next to impossible like finances, amateur vs pro players, USSF requirements, etc...

9. falvo

falvo Member+

Mar 27, 2005
    San Jose & Florence
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    I never thought anything of the sort either. I was mostly referring to the Stompers in their quest to move on up in the eyes of the public just like the TV Sitcom, the Jefferson's theme song, "Moving on up"....never even thought about pro/rel....

10. Earthquake FC

Earthquake FC Member

Feb 7, 2006
    San Francisco Bay Area
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  11. Quakesss

Quakesss Member+

Nov 16, 2013
    Bay Area
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    This is just an annual meeting for their little group. They should re name themselves the "Cant Take A Train to Support Our Local Club Army" The guy that's leading the charge for the NASL team is a dude from Colorado...

athletics68 repped this.
  12. falvo

falvo Member+

Mar 27, 2005
    San Jose & Florence
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    @athletics68
    Interesting piece I read or reread today that I either forgot or never cared to remember about a young SF based investor Anthony Precourt of Precourt Sports Ventures, LLC buying the Columbus Crew and stadium for a "record" $68 million.

http://www.forbes.com/sites/mikeoza...d-by-hunt-sports-group-for-record-68-million/

Seven months later , that $68 million dollar figure seems like peanuts in today's MLS. You are right about him or any other investor not being able to start and build a stadium in SF anyway, for what seems now to be a measly amount.

13. Earthquake FC

Earthquake FC Member

Feb 7, 2006
    San Francisco Bay Area
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  14. falvo

falvo Member+

Mar 27, 2005
    San Jose & Florence
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    LOL. Reminds me of when I lived in Florence we played soccer next to the River Arno......
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

DotMPP repped this.
  15. bigdumbgod

bigdumbgod Member+

Jun 25, 2005
    San Jose, CA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    1) Not exactly maximizing an intimate crowd-on-top-of-the-pitch atmosphere there, and

2) For details on how likely it is to build a waterfront venue in SF, see: Golden State Warriors.

16. Earthquake FC

Earthquake FC Member

Feb 7, 2006
    San Francisco Bay Area
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The latest from NASL's Peterson ......

http://www.indyweek.com/triangleoff...nd-other-topics-in-advance-of-2014-regular-se
    Peterson: "We have evaluated ownerships groups in Las Vegas. We’re not currently speaking with anyone very seriously there. We’ve had conversations throughout California, including San Francisco, Los Angeles, Orange County, San Diego and others. I do believe we’ll end up with one or more teams in California sometime in the near future."

http://blog.mysanantonio.com/scorpions/2014/04/qa-with-nasl-commissioner-bill-peterson/
    Peterson: "There are two or three areas that are attractive to me. Not that we’ve had discussions. But Dallas. El Paso is interesting. Austin would be interesting. Those are some of the areas that would be good homes. Having teams in close proximity…what that does is create a lot more excitement and following and interest."

17. falvo

falvo Member+

Mar 27, 2005
    San Jose & Florence
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    Peterson talks but he never mentions names. Evaluated ownerships groups? So who is it and why the big secret?

18. Knave

Knave Member+

May 25, 1999
    Because Peterson is full of shit.

19. falvo

falvo Member+

Mar 27, 2005
    San Jose & Florence
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    Yeah I believe you are right...

20. Steve0013

Steve0013 Member

Jul 20, 2012
    London, UK
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Get the Blackhawks back, ******** yeahhhhhhhhhhhh !!!!!

DotMPP repped this.
  21. Earthquake FC

Earthquake FC Member

Feb 7, 2006
    San Francisco Bay Area
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think Peterson is keeping his cards close to his chest. But notice the emphasis on California and Texas. When OKC comes on board in 2015, I could see NASL doing the Texas angle of getting Austin and El Paso to go NASL; that would be serious southwest rivalries there. Not sure why he mentioned Dallas, unless FC Dallas in MLS is week in attendance, and there is room in Ft. Worth/Arlington for NASL. Peterson knows California is interesting at this point. Chivas USA in MLS is week in the attendance, so SoCal is an opportunity. SF/Oak is still on the table, I understand.

22. falvo

falvo Member+

Mar 27, 2005
    San Jose & Florence
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    #472 falvo, May 5, 2014
    Last edited: May 5, 2014
    Dan VanVoorhis died but Terry Fisher told me me that before he passed, he had told him he had enough of soccer. I think he had lost a lawsuit after he was sued by the amateur San Jose Oaks (Britania Arms pub team) when the Blackhawks tried to block a Concacaf CL game between themselves and Morelia I believe it was. He was instrumental in getting an MLS team into San Jose in 1994 and his reward for all his effort was a free lifetime pass at Spartan Stadium to watch Quakes games. I don't think anyone else got to use his pass though as he died in 2005 and the team moved to Houston.

23. Goodsport

Goodsport Moderator
    Staff Member

May 18, 1999
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    True, though Dan Van Voorhis was in fact the yet-unnamed San José MLS team's Investor/Operator when it was announced as one of the league's ten inaugural teams. His I/O tenure was very brief, though, as ugly divorce proceedings with his wife at that time forced him to then accept a buyout from the league, which is why San José started the 1996 season as one of three league-owned teams (along with Dallas and Tampa Bay).

I'd heard that Van Voorhis later tried to buy back in and become San José's I/O again sometime either around the turn of the century or just shortly afterward, but by then the league was only interested in letting in multi-billionaires rather than "mere" multi-millionaires (I suppose in the league's eyes, it didn't want another Ken Horowitz situation). :eek:

GO SAN JOSE EARTHQUAKES!!! :cool:

-G

24. falvo

falvo Member+

Mar 27, 2005
    San Jose & Florence
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    Didn't Ken Horowitz renege on his MLS Miami commitment?

25. Earthquake FC

Earthquake FC Member

Feb 7, 2006
    San Francisco Bay Area
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    New team name option… San Francisco City.
    Just like Manchester City in Premier League.
    Simple. Straight-forward. Uniquely San Francisco.
    Just like the NBA Warriors “The City” moniker.
    Marketing winner.