NASL in Hartford

Discussion in 'NASL Expansion' started by jmdaly12, Nov 15, 2011.

1. oneeyedfool

oneeyedfool Member+

Nov 17, 2012
    Club:
    New York Cosmos
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Best chance is probably trying to land NYC FC's USL Pro affiliate.

2. Defensive Mid

Defensive Mid New Member

Jul 11, 2013
    Club:
    --other--
    What makes the FA cup and NCAA basketball tournament is the David vs Goliath match. A NASL club playing against big MLS teams in US cup really I think has appeal. USL has taken to becoming more of farm league operation to similar to minor league baseball and I think that takes away from self operating entity (me personally - I wouldn't be a fan). NASL has taken an approach to dethrone MLS even though this is probably far fetched to ever happening. In New England, I believe there is larger more passionate soccer following than any where else in US and I used to live Issaquah, Wa so yes even more so than Seattle. All we need is someone with some passion to operate a pro team and the fans will get behind it.

panicfc repped this.
  3. canammj

canammj Member+

Aug 25, 2004
    CHINO, CA
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Hartford is good market sitting in between Boston and NY. There are not that many markets left in the USA where you do not have a MLB,NHL,NBA or NFL team in a city or a whole state for that matter. No summer competition.

If it were USL, closest rivals are Rochester and Harrisburg. If NASL, NYCosmos and I guess Ottawa. Not a lot, but its something .

Can't figure out why the "Rent" won't lower the rent. If you are a stadium, usually the more tenants the better. Yes, NASL & USL are not MLS, but you should adjust the rent accordingly, along with a downsized stadium to match.
    Otherwise, New Britton or Dillion are options with updates to the stadiums which may be less when compared to the "rent at the Rent".

4. panicfc

panicfc Member+

Dec 22, 2000
    In my chair, typing
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Virginia is only 6 hours away (depending on traffic) If Quebec City gets a team, that's another 6-7 hour trip.

Dillon needs major repairs, but would be a very intimate setting for a crowd of 5-8k. Rentschler - too expensive for that same size crowd.

5. msilverstein47

msilverstein47 Member+

Jan 11, 1999
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Stamford, CT
    New England Force General Manager Bob Levin has announced that the team will apply to the NASL. If accepted the team will look to begin play in 2015. According to Levin, "The NASL would be a good fit for us and we have no doubt that we have the product to compete with other clubs in the League. We do have some continued work to do in all areas, but we feel that by 2015 we will be ready to go".

http://www.newenglandforce.us/News.asp?org=newenglandforce.us#487427

6. msilverstein47

msilverstein47 Member+

Jan 11, 1999
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    well, they do seem to have a plan...I wouldn't say that it's very reasonable, but it's definitely a plan nonetheless...lol

7. soccermilitant

soccermilitant Member+

Jan 14, 2009
    St.paul
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    according to the MLS & NASL & USL expansion talk group on FB :
    ***EXPANSION NEWS***

A little birdie told me that an announcement will be made within the next couple of months. Stating that HARTFORD, CONNECTICUT is getting a #NASL team, which will start play in 2016 at a renovated Dillon Stadium.

8. kenntomasch

kenntomasch Member+

Sep 2, 1999
    Out West
    Club:
    FC Tampa Bay Rowdies
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Well, the New England Force said they're applying!

(BTW, an anonymous Facebook group started 18 days ago...TOTALLY WORTH LISTENING TO.)

9. oneeyedfool

oneeyedfool Member+

Nov 17, 2012
    Club:
    New York Cosmos
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It would be nice for the Cosmos to have a Northeast rival. Hope it materializes. Kenn's skepticism is warranted, though.

10. kenntomasch

kenntomasch Member+

Sep 2, 1999
    Out West
    Club:
    FC Tampa Bay Rowdies
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    No, there apparently IS a group making moves in Hartford.

But I am willing to tell you that and put my name to it.

What I have a problem with is these anonymous peckerwoods who get off on saying "a little birdie told me" because expansion talk is apparently currency in their worlds.

11. soccermilitant

soccermilitant Member+

Jan 14, 2009
    St.paul
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    im not saying there getting a team . I just put dow what i saw.

12. oneeyedfool

oneeyedfool Member+

Nov 17, 2012
    Club:
    New York Cosmos
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I take it that group is not the New England Force or you wouldn't be putting your name to it.

Regardless, I hope ownership groups pop up for NASL in some of the other Northeast markets so there are some reasonable games for me to travel to. Baltimore would be nice too. Lehigh Valley is probably too much to hope for unless I suddenly come into $20M and decide to resurrect Bethlehem Steel FC

13. ceezmad

ceezmad Member+

Mar 4, 2010
    Chicago
    Club:
    Chicago Red Stars
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That would be cool, and it would be a little more fun than setting that 20M on fire, both would end up with the same result, you losing your 20M, but you would have a few good years with the BSFC. ;)

14. bullsear

bullsear Member

Feb 17, 2009
    Club:
    Newcastle United FC
    Chowda repped this.
  15. mikehurst21

mikehurst21 Member

Oklahoma City Energy FC
    United States
    Nov 6, 2013
    Moore Oklahoma
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    well they had the Bicentennials in the original NASL

16. kenntomasch

kenntomasch Member+

Sep 2, 1999
    Out West
    Club:
    FC Tampa Bay Rowdies
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Which means what, exactly?

Honolulu had a team in the original NASL.

Supposedly there IS a group that has gone down the road fairly far, and is close in Hartford.

17. mikehurst21

mikehurst21 Member

Oklahoma City Energy FC
    United States
    Nov 6, 2013
    Moore Oklahoma
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

means nothing really just thought I would mention it. It probably explains why they prefer the NASL. You know the whole familiarity thing. that's all didn't mean anything by it

18. Skippysasquirrel

May 11, 2012
    San Diego, CA
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    whalers fc. you heard it here first.

19. USRufnex

USRufnex Red Card

Tulsa Athletic / Sheffield United
    United States
    Jul 15, 2000
    Tulsa, OK
    Club:
    --other--
    #71 USRufnex, Jun 2, 2014
    Last edited: Jun 2, 2014
  20. Chowda

Chowda Member

Sep 13, 2004
    Rhode Island
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    I'd wager more soccer fans in CT have a better familiarity with the Connecticut Wolves than they have with the Bi's.

If I can find them, I'll post my scarf concepts.

21. Chowda

Chowda Member

Sep 13, 2004
    Rhode Island
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Here is more background: http://www.biznet.ct.gov/SCP_Documents/Bids/32276/Revised_Section_2_Dillon_Stadium.pdf

It appears they want whoever comes in to help redevelop Dillon to meet the needs of the soccer team they will run (field, bleachers, VIP boxes, etc..), as well as operate the stadium itself.

bullsear repped this.
  22. Williamsburg

Williamsburg New Member

Jul 21, 2012
    Brooklyn
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Torpedo Hartford would be a fitting name in many ways :ROFLMAO: