NASL Blogs and Interviews Thread

Discussion in 'NASL' started by VioletCrown, Feb 8, 2010.

1. CShine

CShine Member

Dec 13, 2009
    Huntsville, AL
    Club:
    Rocket City United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Part of the reason drafts have worked for soccer in the USA, especially MLS, has been the absence of stable youth development academies. Once you get academies well established and the desirable talent starts getting involved with them at very young ages then drafts just don't fit into that picture. I imagine that as academies become more effective at serving their local areas the importance of a draft at any level of the sport will become less and less relevant. I would hope the lower divisions see that as their real long-term goal as opposed to just drafting college kids.

kenntomasch repped this.
  2. kenntomasch

kenntomasch Member+

Sep 2, 1999
    Out West
    Club:
    FC Tampa Bay Rowdies
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The lower divisions are, in all things, several years behind the upper one. Individual teams just have to stay in one place long enough to establish an academy and see it bear fruit for there to be any sort of pipeline where they identify a kid at a young age, have him in their academy and get him to become "theirs" so they can eventually see him play for them and then (potentially) sell him on.

Unfortunately, there's no real upside to a kid becoming part of such a scheme, where he develops, then goes off and plays college soccer and if he's good enough, gets drafted by MLS. You wouldn't say, "Oooooh, I've been in Indianapolis' academy system since I was 12, they have first dibs, sorry, Everybody Else."

The local players a lower division team could develop in an academy would be unlikely to ever aspire to see time for them unless they didn't have other options.

But, yeah, growing players rather than drafting them should, eventually, be the way teams (at least in MLS) acquire talent.

3. blkbrnrvr

blkbrnrvr Member

Mar 2, 2003
    Auburn metro
    Club:
    Blackburn Rovers FC
  4. speedcake

speedcake Member

Dec 2, 1999
    Tampa
    Club:
    FC Tampa Bay Rowdies
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    They won a spot in a final, for a half season worth of work. Champions, my ass. Being able to call ourselves champions for "winning" half a season in this format is absurd. /rant

In other news, thanks for the link. Hopefully a team near Atlanta will take the Fall so we can see a good number of travelling supporters.

Soccer Budgie and Antique repped this.
  5. blkbrnrvr

blkbrnrvr Member

Mar 2, 2003
    Auburn metro
    Club:
    Blackburn Rovers FC
    I can only go with what the league is calling them and the associated silverware. Don't blame me. :p

gremio1903 repped this.
  6. ceezmad

ceezmad Member+

Mar 4, 2010
    Chicago
    Club:
    Chicago Red Stars
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    357247847030198273 is not a valid tweet id

gremio1903 repped this.
  7. Prosoccercdn

Prosoccercdn Member+

Aug 6, 2011
    Club:
    FC Edmonton
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    I want one of those shirts!!!

8. Never Offside

Never Offside Member

Apr 2, 2011
    Club:
    Ft Lauderdale Strikers
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  9. ceezmad

ceezmad Member+

Mar 4, 2010
    Chicago
    Club:
    Chicago Red Stars
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    NASL bids to overcome obstacles

http://msn.foxsports.com/foxsoccer/...of-history-112113?cmpid=tsmtw:fscom:foxsoccer

10. Sam U El

Sam U El Moderator
    Staff Member

May 31, 2013
    Seoul Korea
    Club:
    New York Cosmos
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  11. ceezmad

ceezmad Member+

Mar 4, 2010
    Chicago
    Club:
    Chicago Red Stars
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Sam U El and SoccerPrime repped this.
  12. greenroom

greenroom BigSoccer Supporter

Apr 16, 2012
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Was a good interview, which actually has me thinking.

Are there any teams in the NASL that could be to MLS standards in 5 years?

I think Cosmos, San Antonio could very easy. Indy I think could, but not 100% but them selling out 11k is a good start, but not sure of the stadium issue.

13. SoccerPrime

SoccerPrime Moderator
    Staff Member

All of them
    Apr 14, 2003
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Well Cosmos would have the land-field of MLS territory now, plus their current stadium situation is non-MLS acceptable. San Antonio's only problem would be stadium expansion but more importantly they need a wealthier investor to get involved.

Personally after reading Strauss today, I believe McGuire and Minnesota are the most likely now:
    http://soccer.si.com/2013/12/30/mls-expansion-miami-minneapolis/

Sam U El repped this.
  14. TerminusFooty

TerminusFooty Member+

Feb 4, 2012
    Club:
    Atlanta Silverbacks
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Wow. Looks like the owners of Minnesota United and the Minnesota Twins are teaming up to get the Loons into MLS. That's big news.

brentgoulet repped this.
  15. oneeyedfool

oneeyedfool Member+

Nov 17, 2012
    Club:
    New York Cosmos
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'd rather see Minnesota United go up then the Vikings get a team. Good luck to them. Gotta suspect the motives of these NFL owners (Wilf, Blank) who are just bringing MLS into it so they can get a stadium deal. I say that realizing that MLS was founded in large part by NFL owners, but that was a different situation.

16. eclipse02

eclipse02 Member

Sep 20, 2009
    I second that. I'd rather see a lower division team move up to MLS then to see someone come in start a team from scratch and try to force out someone who built something in the lower divisions.

Sam U El and TerminusFooty repped this.
  17. TerminusFooty

TerminusFooty Member+

Feb 4, 2012
    Club:
    Atlanta Silverbacks
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I was for Blank's MLS bid back when they were still lying about having a grass pitch in the new stadium. After the funding got approved and they said, "oh wait - we just realized our stadium design won't allow enough light for grass", I wised up and got off the bus. Really depressing. (But if he buys the Backs I'm sticking with them.)

18. SoccerPrime

SoccerPrime Moderator
    Staff Member

All of them
    Apr 14, 2003
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Any rumors that Blank is going to buy the Silverbacks?

I've heard nothing.

19. TerminusFooty

TerminusFooty Member+

Feb 4, 2012
    Club:
    Atlanta Silverbacks
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    No, rumors to the opposite actually.
    http://worldsoccertalk.com/2013/11/...e-not-being-considered-monday-soccer-insider/

The ASFC ownership group have said they are open to being "acquired" by the MLS ownership group, affiliating with the MLS team (USL Pro?), or remaining active in NASL (my preference and the toughest path I know).
    http://www.atlantasilverbacks.com/fc/news/item/q-a-with-president-gm-andy-smith-part-ii

I was just qualifying my "getting off the bus".

20. SoccerPrime

SoccerPrime Moderator
    Staff Member

All of them
    Apr 14, 2003
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Thing is, we've never seen an a 3rd party start talking to MLS, set it all up AND then buy the existing minor league team. Timbers, Impact, Sounders, Whitecaps, Orlando... all of them had their minor league owners either jump independently or found their new partners before they made the jump. It would be incredibly cool if Blank bought the Silverbacks and moved them up, but that would be the exception, not the rule. Seems that he will want to start fresh and completely new.

21. Yoshou

Yoshou Fan of the CCL Champ

May 12, 2009
    Seattle
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Closest would be Roth and the Sounders. Roth approached MLS about a team, they pointed him to Seattle, then he brought Hanauer on board.

22. SoccerPrime

SoccerPrime Moderator
    Staff Member

All of them
    Apr 14, 2003
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yes closest but Roth is more like the recent Orlando situation. Rawlins finds da Silva and together they go to MLS. Neither Roth nor da Silva had independent ideas merely had money to invest and Hanauer and Rawlins brought them aboard their project.

I'm not against a new method, just don't see it.

23. Sam U El

Sam U El Moderator
    Staff Member

May 31, 2013
    Seoul Korea
    Club:
    New York Cosmos
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    BigApples' Cuttone Comments on the Cosmos Opening day:

"Major League Soccer in its early days didn’t want to embrace the legacy of its predecessor. It’s been forced to in recent years, with admission of the Seattle Sounders and Portland Timbers, and to a lesser degree the Vancouver Whitecaps."

http://www.bigapplesoccer.com/columns/cuttone.php?article_id=36691

24. Yoshou

Yoshou Fan of the CCL Champ

May 12, 2009
    Seattle
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    San Jose Earthquakes predates the Sounders, Timbers, and Whitecaps and the Earthquakes fully embraced as soon as they flipped from the Clash to the Earthquakes. I would also note that the Sounders still aren't fully embracing their history.

25. TheJoeGreene

TheJoeGreene Member+

Aug 19, 2012
    The Lubbock Texas
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    They don't have a history. They are completely separate entities playing in completely separate leagues at completely separate points in history. They literally share nothing but a name.