NASL Blogs and Interviews Thread

Discussion in 'NASL' started by VioletCrown, Feb 8, 2010.

1. ceezmad

ceezmad Member+

Mar 4, 2010
    Chicago
    Club:
    Chicago Red Stars
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    This had lead to the downfall of many past American leagues, lets hope it is different now.

2. longballer

longballer Member

Aug 10, 2005
    Club:
    Carolina Railhawks
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Thanks for the heads up.

3. WhiteStar Warriors

Mar 25, 2007
    St.Pete/Krakow
    Club:
    FC Tampa Bay Rowdies
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  4. longballer

longballer Member

Aug 10, 2005
    Club:
    Carolina Railhawks
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  5. eclipse02

eclipse02 Member

Sep 20, 2009
  6. longballer

longballer Member

Aug 10, 2005
    Club:
    Carolina Railhawks
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Some see the tragedy. It's good you see the comedy. I wish I could, too. :(

7. eclipse02

eclipse02 Member

Sep 20, 2009
    Don't worry if the USL keeps going this route their will be a breakaway group of owners who will decide to start their own 3rd Division. Then USSF will be forced to create standards for 3rd Division. Then Once USL sees the Standards they will drop down to 4th division and say that they are the best league below MLS and that in hindsight they are even better then most MLS teams.

Why does that sound familiar.

8. Pietrang5

Pietrang5 New Member

Oct 20, 2010
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Hey guys - I'm part owner of Global Football Today and we are in the process of trying to focus more on American soccer. In the process we are looking to get dedicated writers for blogs on each USL and NASL team.

I'm assuming most of you are passionate NASL fans on here. If you'd like to write about your team (we would probably be able to get you press credentials), send me an email to: mpietrangelo@globalfootballtoday.com.

For an example of what we have on our blogs, check out our Montreal blog here: http://montreal.globalfootballtoday.com/

9. soccerwithswagger

soccerwithswagger New Member

Jun 29, 2011
    Club:
    Atlanta
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Check out the new site: Soccer with Swagger.

It's a US-centric view on the World's game and we don't hold anything back. We cover everything but the main focus is growing the game here in America and supporting it in any way possible. Topics include NASL, MLS, USMNT, USWMNT, and much more.

Here is the Week 14 Roundup of NASL soccer action.

10. soccerwithswagger

soccerwithswagger New Member

Jun 29, 2011
    Club:
    Atlanta
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  11. WhiteStar Warriors

Mar 25, 2007
    St.Pete/Krakow
    Club:
    FC Tampa Bay Rowdies
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  12. WhiteStar Warriors

Mar 25, 2007
    St.Pete/Krakow
    Club:
    FC Tampa Bay Rowdies
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  13. WhiteStar Warriors

Mar 25, 2007
    St.Pete/Krakow
    Club:
    FC Tampa Bay Rowdies
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  14. mng146

mng146 Member

Jul 19, 2011
    Rochester, NY
  15. raymondleone

raymondleone Member

Aug 7, 2010
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  16. The Earl of Lemongrab

May 23, 2012
    Johns Creek, GA
    Club:
    Atlanta Silverbacks
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Kind of off topic for a moment (whatever the topic was), should the NASL consider a draft? I'm watching teams get built over the off season and it got me thinking how much excitement there is in other sports surrounding the draft. There's the potential greatness of a first round pick and the excitement of finding a sleeper in the later rounds.

I'm not clear how a draft would work exactly. I doubt you want to draft the same players the MSL is drafing as I doubt you'll win out on salary. But perhaps a draft after the MSL draft for the remainder of the players. I haven't thought through it completely, but just a thought.

17. ceezmad

ceezmad Member+

Mar 4, 2010
    Chicago
    Club:
    Chicago Red Stars
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I imagine it would be hard; many rookies would probably be on trial with MLS sides.

If they had one it probably would be after the NASL combine.

Maybe the players need to form (or join/merge with the MLS players Union) for this to happen, then again teams discovering talent with their own combine is cheaper and preferable for this level of soccer.

18. foreverthursday

foreverthursday New Member

Sep 17, 2012
    Stony Plain, Alberta
    Club:
    FC Edmonton
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
  19. kenntomasch

kenntomasch Member+

Sep 2, 1999
    Out West
    Club:
    FC Tampa Bay Rowdies
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The A-League had a draft for several years. It was kind of anti-climactic (and I had to explain to a newspaper editor - unsuccessfully as it turned out - that those weren't the results of our draft they were putting in the paper, they were the results of the MLS Superdraft held the same weekend) and didn't get anywhere near the type of excitement you see in other sports, because:

1 - The players, by and large, are not particularly well-known.
    2 - There's not a huge amount of excitement and buzz and anticipation and mock drafts going on for the MLS draft, much less a draft that would either be redundant to that or of players who are of lower perceived quality than that.
    3 - You can either draft names and say "Hey, we got this guy....and if he ever doesn't play in MLS or go overseas, we'll have a chance to offer him a contract that he won't accept unless he's desperate," which doesn't generate much excitement, or you can draft players you can actually sign, which doesn't generate much excitement, either.
    4 - You really run a big risk of a guy just saying, "I'm not coming. You can do what you want with the rights, but I'm not playing for you" and it's not like you hold a big hammer over his head like most other sports.
    5 - Players at this level, by and large, are indistinguishable in their ability to actually move the needle. Nobody buys season tickets because you drafted this guy versus that guy, nobody could tell you who's a "sleeper" and there is no Mel Kiper, Jr. doing analysis of who the players in such a scenario should be or would be.

What's the MSL?

TheJoeGreene repped this.
  20. kenntomasch

kenntomasch Member+

Sep 2, 1999
    Out West
    Club:
    FC Tampa Bay Rowdies
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    (Oh, and NASL scouting budgets can't be that big - that's why there's a combine.)

21. The Earl of Lemongrab

May 23, 2012
    Johns Creek, GA
    Club:
    Atlanta Silverbacks
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It's an enitrely made up league I play in my head.

22. kenntomasch

kenntomasch Member+

Sep 2, 1999
    Out West
    Club:
    FC Tampa Bay Rowdies
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Does it have pro/rel? Because I can't get behind it if it doesn't.