NASL Annual General Meeting

Discussion in 'NASL' started by brentgoulet, Nov 7, 2010.

1. Soccer Budgie

Soccer Budgie Member

Mar 8, 2010
    Tampa, Florida
    Club:
    FC Tampa Bay Rowdies
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Re: Assembly General Meeting

Thank you

2. eastcoaster

eastcoaster New Member

Nov 23, 2009

Please do not let Crystal Palace Baltimore back in the league. They owe everyone possible to owe money on the Baltimore.. vendors, players, academy staff, office workers.. they were horrendous here really bad for the game.

3. AndyMead

AndyMead Homo Sapien

Nov 2, 1999
    Seat 12A
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City

Plenty of them do. In fact, I'm guessing the majority aren't any better.

I'm not talking the NBA, NHL, MLB, NFL, or even MLS. I'm talking the majority of professional sports leagues in the U.S. - and there are a lot of them.

And most of them are shoe-string, minor league operations. If it doesn't help sell tickets or sponsorships, it rarely gets done.

4. ReasonableDoubt

ReasonableDoubt New Member

May 16, 2010
    Club:
    FC Tampa Bay Rowdies
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

As I understand it (which could be wrong, I'm still getting leaks until this goes full-blown), Baltimore would have 2011 as a down year, hosting friendlies, camps, and such (i.e. things that don't cost much to put on but bring in revenue) to get their finances back on track, and they would be back in 2012. Assuming they don't turn into Atlanta ("We'll be back next year! I promise!!!"), I'm on board.

5. ottawasportsfan

Mar 18, 2005

Any word on what teams will be part of the league in 2011?

6. ReasonableDoubt

ReasonableDoubt New Member

May 16, 2010
    Club:
    FC Tampa Bay Rowdies
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Looking like Tampa, Miami, Montreal, Carolina, Puerto Rico, Edmonton, St. Louis, and Minnesota.

7. chichi

chichi Member

May 21, 1999
    Miami Fl
    Club:
    Ft Lauderdale Strikers
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Wow Atlanta instead of St Louis?

Perhaps St Louis is added on later.

http://bit.ly/bDnoOw

8. MLSinSTL

MLSinSTL Member+

Columbus Crew
    United States
    Mar 20, 2009
    Ohio - near a city
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

I just saw that Atlanta was in for 2011 as well on the NASL site. That is really amazing - I wonder who the money is behind Atlanta?

9. UnitedNut

UnitedNut Member

Apr 29, 2001
    Towson, MD USA
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

I wonder if the gentleman behind the WPS Atlanta Beat is involved. He played a big role in construction of the soccer specific stadium the team shares with the college.

10. speedcake

speedcake Member

Dec 2, 1999
    Tampa
    Club:
    FC Tampa Bay Rowdies
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

So am I the only one that will believe the Atlanta news when I see a press release from an actual, active Atlanta team?

I mean, I'm excited by the prospect and hope it comes together. But I'm also not holding my breath.

11. time4wine

time4wine Member

Mar 13, 2009
    St. Louis
    Club:
    St. Louis Lions
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  12. brentgoulet

brentgoulet Member+

Oct 12, 2005
    PuertoPlata, DomRep

So next season we might see

1. Impact, 2. Edmonton, 3. Railhawks, 4. Strikers, 5. Rowdies, 6. Silverbacks, 7. Islanders and 8. NSC as regular teams

while numbers 9. St Louis, 10. Crystal Palace and 11. San Antonio could play exhibition games

13. AndyMead

AndyMead Homo Sapien

Nov 2, 1999
    Seat 12A
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City

with what players?

14. brentgoulet

brentgoulet Member+

Oct 12, 2005
    PuertoPlata, DomRep

No idea, but the FC Edmonton did it this year

15. Seph

Seph Member

Dec 2, 2004
    St. Louis, Mo., USA
    Club:
    St. Louis Lions
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

St. Louis won't play exhibition games. Either they'll find the investor to keep the team as a full D2 team, or they'll fold.

16. DavidP

DavidP Member

Mar 21, 1999
    Powder Springs, GA

No, you're not. I for one in ATL will believe it when I hear the result from their first game. As I said in another thread, I wonder if the 'Backs are just a placeholder to get sanctioning, while AC St. Louis gets their act together, and then they'll bow out. Jut speculation, but it makes me wonder.

17. DoyleG

DoyleG Member+

CanPL
    Canada
    Jan 11, 2002
    YEG-->YYJ-->YWG-->YYB
    Club:
    FC Edmonton
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada

Of course, the owner was willing to spend money in that regard.

18. brentgoulet

brentgoulet Member+

Oct 12, 2005
    PuertoPlata, DomRep

He mentioned 1 million dollar, probably canadian dollar but nevertheless still a big amount of money

19. bullsear

bullsear Member

Feb 17, 2009
    Club:
    Newcastle United FC

Actually, Brian recently changed the name of the site to IMSoccer News, but there hasn't been a url change yet. The newest article over there lists the teams as Atlanta Silverbacks, Carolina RailHawks, FC Edmonton, Miami FC, NSC Minnesota Stars, Montreal Impact, Puerto Rico Islanders and FC Tampa Bay.

I understand the history of Atlanta, but I seriously doubt that USSF would let them stand as a placeholder to be swapped out for ACSTL. Besides, ACSTL aren't looking like they're in much better shape.

That's good ol' Kartik for ya. Still, the site looked pretty good at launch--better than the hunk of crap that was mlssoccer.com for a good month.

20. AndyMead

AndyMead Homo Sapien

Nov 2, 1999
    Seat 12A
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City

With what players? Seriously? Who (that matters) is going to play exhibition games? Under what contract?

We'll see San Antonio in 2012 featuring rookies and players currently under contract to other teams. AC St. Louis and CPB are both dead. There's nobody left to administer the games. The players on the 2010 rosters will all be retired or have moved on next year.

There just aren't a bunch of D2 level players hanging out. And any nascent organization isn't going to waste the money to fly a bunch of out of work trialists in for a one-off (and, frankly, those trialists would probably prefer to spend their time trialing with an active team).

21. brentgoulet

brentgoulet Member+

Oct 12, 2005
    PuertoPlata, DomRep

The Tampa Bay Rowdies promised us some friendly games during the summer of 2009 but finally decided to do nothing

The FC Edmonton played some exhibition games with some local players and some dutch pro's on a summer job

I have no idea what plans the San Antonio organisation has for next year, they might or might not follow Edmonton's example

22. AndyMead

AndyMead Homo Sapien

Nov 2, 1999
    Seat 12A
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City

Too expensive to bring in worthless players

Really? Any players that'll actually be on the team and get playing time in 2011?

I'm really curious. There just aren't players out there hanging around. And gathering them up for a meaningless exhibition that is unlikely to draw much in the way of paying fans, advertisers, and group sales just doesn't sound like it makes any financial sense whatsoever. Especially if you have to scrounge up equipment - and someone to actually manage it, get the numbering done, pay for a field, officials, and so on.

A team would be better off sponsoring some local amateur tournament that already exists, getting the brand out their as cheaply as possible.

23. stevebeau

stevebeau Member

Apr 23, 2009
    Montreal
    Club:
    Montreal Impact
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada

The Canadian dollar has been almost at parity with the US dollar for a few years now..

24. drSoFlaFan

drSoFlaFan DEFEND THE FORT!

Feb 25, 2008
    Plantation, FL
    Club:
    Ft Lauderdale Strikers
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

http://www.fcedmonton.com/content/exhibition-game-schedule-2010

They played 8 games including one against Portsmouth. According to Wikipedia they averaged 3500 fans per game. Not fantastic numbers but pretty respectable.

On their home page they have photos of players visiting schools and it says they will continue to be out in the community over the offseason. That probably means those players are under contract for next year. Edmonton looks pretty damned legit to me.

25. AndyMead

AndyMead Homo Sapien

Nov 2, 1999
    Seat 12A
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City

Well color me impressed.

But it begs the question as to what those players were doing last year. It's pretty weird to just take a year off in the middle of a playing career. Especially if you have any talent.