NASL adopts Spring/Fall seasons for 2013

Discussion in 'NASL' started by WhiteStar Warriors, Sep 5, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Yoshou

Yoshou Fan of the CCL Champ

May 12, 2009
    Seattle
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Trust me.. 3 months is a long time. Especially if your team goes radio silent for most of that time.

2. kenntomasch

kenntomasch Member+

Sep 2, 1999
    Out West
    Club:
    FC Tampa Bay Rowdies
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    If only there were things like holidays and hockey and, you know, life to keep people occupied, lo those 90 freaking days of hell.

Oy.

3. speedcake

speedcake Member

Dec 2, 1999
    Tampa
    Club:
    FC Tampa Bay Rowdies
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Meh, maybe I was looking at it too much from the perspective of running an SG and preparing for a new season. Three months is no time at all.

4. speedcake

speedcake Member

Dec 2, 1999
    Tampa
    Club:
    FC Tampa Bay Rowdies
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    lol hockey

5. kenntomasch

kenntomasch Member+

Sep 2, 1999
    Out West
    Club:
    FC Tampa Bay Rowdies
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Moreso for a front office. 90-100 days goes by really quickly.

6. speedcake

speedcake Member

Dec 2, 1999
    Tampa
    Club:
    FC Tampa Bay Rowdies
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    yeah, three months is nothing. I guess technically they have close to five months between games that count.

7. Prosoccercdn

Prosoccercdn Member+

Aug 6, 2011
    Club:
    FC Edmonton
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    Ditto!

8. WhiteStar Warriors

Mar 25, 2007
    St.Pete/Krakow
    Club:
    FC Tampa Bay Rowdies
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    and we only wait 3 months instead of 5 months like it was before.

I think it's good that top teams play each other, that's the way it should be. that's what fans hope happens in MLS during playoffs they want the Goliath vs Goliath games. but sometimes it doesn't pan out and the only fans that are happy are the fans of those teams that play but networks want to see 2 best teams play.

9. kenntomasch

kenntomasch Member+

Sep 2, 1999
    Out West
    Club:
    FC Tampa Bay Rowdies
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Poor baby. You had to wait to see soccer.

You know this doesn't always happen in every single sport, ever, right?

10. Never Offside

Never Offside Member

Apr 2, 2011
    Club:
    Ft Lauderdale Strikers
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  11. WhiteStar Warriors

Mar 25, 2007
    St.Pete/Krakow
    Club:
    FC Tampa Bay Rowdies
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I don't care about other sports.

The best is the team on the top, but tell that to OC who had a 20 point advantage it doesn't matter, they won Supporter's Shield it doesn't matter just a single one game elimination otournament.

If EPL had this scenario last year you would see Man U play Man City but according to you it's better for networks to have a playoff where you can see Everton vs Newcastle. WOW what great scenario for fans and tv networks.

12. kenntomasch

kenntomasch Member+

Sep 2, 1999
    Out West
    Club:
    FC Tampa Bay Rowdies
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Good for you. You don't care about reality, either. The reality is our sport is no different from the others when it comes to a champion being decided by a small sample of games rather than a long haul. That's just the way it is.

16. Do math. They had six more points in 2012 than they did in 2011. When you said their dominance was a joke and was turning people away. How's that looking now? You can't have it both ways, genius.

Which could be decided on a fluke goal or controversial penalty. Which, less than a week ago, was an idiotic way to decide a champion. Now, it's fabulous.

You've seized on a new meme, I see. This week it's matchups that are better for TV instead of for competition. Next week it'll be something else.

13. WhiteStar Warriors

Mar 25, 2007
    St.Pete/Krakow
    Club:
    FC Tampa Bay Rowdies
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The owners know what they are doing. They want to make more money... they will by hosting international friendlies in advance which they can promote. The way it is now is why should ATL and EDM fans care when they can't compete at least when they stumble in first half they can regroup.

Now tell me why some Toronto fans don't want to renew season tickets...when their whole second half of season is a waste.

14. Evil Genius

Evil Genius Member

Jun 6, 2004
    Southern Minnesota
    Second half? Their whole damn season has been a waste.

15. Green and BLue

Green and BLue Member+

Seattle Sounders FC
    Nov 3, 2003
    Republic of Cascadia
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    You could have a scenario where two different teams win the spring and fall titles, but a third team finished second both rounds, and their combined point total was greater than either round winner's combined point total. For example:
    Spring
    SA 30pts
    TB 27pts
    PR 23pts
    Fall
    PR 29pts
    TB 28pts
    SA 24pts
    Combined/Overall
    TB 55pts
    SA 54pts
    PR 52pts

Tampa Bay would be the overall best team of the year, but San Antonio would be hosting Puerto Rico in the Soccer Bowl.

16. ceezmad

ceezmad Member+

Mar 4, 2010
    Chicago
    Club:
    Chicago Red Stars
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    fyp

17. kenntomasch

kenntomasch Member+

Sep 2, 1999
    Out West
    Club:
    FC Tampa Bay Rowdies
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yes, you could. Just ask the 1981 Cincinnati Reds.

So this whole "the best is the team on the top" thing...where the "team on the top" might not even play in the championship game....well, that's bollocks, obviously.

Yes, because second division teams can afford to bring over opponents that will pack the house. Because, historically, they've done that. Just because they have a month off does not mean they'll be able to afford to do that. Or that the foreign teams will agree to come over months in advance.

Toronto's not the best example, considering their organ-eye-zation has been crap and treated them fairly poorly for six years now. But limiting the number of teams who can realistically play for a championship (to two slots, basically) doesn't help keep your fanbase interested down the stretch, either.

18. Yoshou

Yoshou Fan of the CCL Champ

May 12, 2009
    Seattle
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm detecting that the guy doesn't like playoffs.. But it's subtle. Very subtle..

Antique repped this.
  19. Smoke & Mirrors

Jul 18, 2010
    Club:
    Ft Lauderdale Strikers
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    Kartik was saying last night that the dates for the splits have not yet been set.

20. Smoke & Mirrors

Jul 18, 2010
    Club:
    Ft Lauderdale Strikers
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    Geez man, the crap just keeps flowing out of you. You think hosting friendlies during this break is going to change the bottom line for teams? Who will you guys be hosting at Al Lang next year that will move the needle enough to fill that stadium? But won't be too big for your small stadium, or will cost you too much money to bring in, or who will do something other than scoff at your request to come play there? Tell you what, work on it and get back with me.....

Another ridiculous thing I keep hearing people say is, well yeah, ATL and EDM might be out of the running for the spring seasons halfway through, but come fall they'll have another shot! Just what is it you think EDM is going to do during that month break that is magically going to take a crap team and turn it into a contender? They won't need to improve enough to just make a playoff, they'll need to WIN THE ENTIRE LEAGUE. I've heard of optimism, but that's just stupid. More likely will be fans recognize just how crappy their team is halfway through the spring season, and not bother coming back at all in the fall, opting for college football, or something else instead. It takes a lot longer than 8 games to realize your team has NO SHOT at one of six playoff spots. We have what, four games left for most teams? And NO ONE has been eliminated from the playoffs yet. This isn't a bad thing, it's a good thing for holding onto fickle/casual fans' interest. But hey, unlike EVERY OTHER league and sport in America, NASL has NONE of those type of fans, right genius? :rolleyes:

TheJoeGreene repped this.
  21. Smoke & Mirrors

Jul 18, 2010
    Club:
    Ft Lauderdale Strikers
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    This guy is nothing more than an opinionated douche. He puts forth his OPINION as if it is fact. Reading that piece gives you one impression - Eurosnob. Is he a Traffic employee??? So many ludicrous "points" it's not even worth it to take the countering. Just total garbage. Someone's total garbage opinion, rather.

22. kenntomasch

kenntomasch Member+

Sep 2, 1999
    Out West
    Club:
    FC Tampa Bay Rowdies
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    And, for once, you're not talking about me.

:D

Who are you talking about, by the way?

23. Jossed

Jossed Member+

Apr 23, 2011
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    A total douche and apparently a moron. If the NY Giants were a "perennially middling team" they never would have qualified for the playoffs in the first place. Their regular season record under Tom Coughlin is 75-54 through 2011. Far from a middling team. We get it. You hate evil North American playoffs. But to somehow imply that the Giants weren't a worthy SB champ in both years, when they won all their playoff games on the road in 2007, beat the Packers in their own building in 2011, and beat the heavily favored best team from the AFC in both SBs, is just laughable.

These are the soccer fans I hate. And he also ignores the likely financial reasons why the NASL went to this schedule and presents it as a mostly philosophical decision against playoffs. In theory this is suppose to cut costs which the NASL will welcome. And I guess the NASL isn't "proper football" since they still have a post-season. You know that Soccer Bowl thing? He ignores that.

I also don't know how this schedule "significantly strengthens" the NASL? It is not earth shattering or anything. And there are both pros and cons to it. It is just a schedule and business will go on as usual. Just like it does in minor league baseball.

24. Arsenalkid700

Arsenalkid700 Member

Aug 9, 2011
    New York City
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    *Cough* A-League *Cough* 5 seasons in a row *Cough*.

25. kenntomasch

kenntomasch Member+

Sep 2, 1999
    Out West
    Club:
    FC Tampa Bay Rowdies
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The top two played in the Grand Final five straight years, yes. I actually kind of like their playoff system, too.