NASL adopts Spring/Fall seasons for 2013

Discussion in 'NASL' started by WhiteStar Warriors, Sep 5, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. morange92

morange92 Member+

Jan 30, 2012
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Oh alright, I actually think that would be a good thing to have replay for

2. morange92

morange92 Member+

Jan 30, 2012
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    To be honest, i always felt like the top 20-33% should get into the playoffs in an arbitrary league. I think if you expand to 12-14, you should probably keep it at 4, maybe add a 5th with a play in game. Or at least don't expand any further from 6.

3. WhiteStar Warriors

Mar 25, 2007
    St.Pete/Krakow
    Club:
    FC Tampa Bay Rowdies
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It was as part of the article. man don't get too emotional about it. NASL just changed the format. What would happen if MLS changed format would you stop being a fan?

Read the article it explains tha assertion you are talking about.

4. Jossed

Jossed Member+

Apr 23, 2011
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    And that's why I believe they will be back in 2014. The quality of play seemed much higher than a regular NASL game. The playoffs made the 2012 NASL season.

The NASL uses poorer quality USSF refs than those in MLS. And those same poorer quality refs might decide an important regular season game that ruins a club's entire season and costs them money with no playoffs for that fanbase to look forward to. Are you complaining about that?

5. NORML

NORML Member+

Aug 9, 2002
    Lake Wobegon, MN
    Club:
    NSC Minnesota Stars
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    With this new format I think any team that enters halfway through (they don't play in the Spring portion) shouldn't be eligible to play for the Soccer Bowl.

6. Yoshou

Yoshou Fan of the CCL Champ

May 12, 2009
    Seattle
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Is that an option? While it would certainly open up the possibility of a team joining between the spring and fall season, I didn't get the impression from the announcement that they were seriously thinking about it. I got the impression that they'd be coming out with both the spring and fall schedules at the same time?

7. Jossed

Jossed Member+

Apr 23, 2011
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    I doubt we will ever see this rule. Especially with the whispers about the Cosmos not being ready for the first half.

8. ceezmad

ceezmad Member+

Mar 4, 2010
    Chicago
    Club:
    Chicago Red Stars
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    bullsear repped this.
  9. speedcake

speedcake Member

Dec 2, 1999
    Tampa
    Club:
    FC Tampa Bay Rowdies
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That could happen in Toronto, Chicago, Vancouver, Denver or at Red Bull Arena as well (snort). MLS can deal with it so would the NASL.

10. bullsear

bullsear Member

Feb 17, 2009
    Club:
    Newcastle United FC
    WSW, again, this will never and should never ever happen. Referees' calls of fouls should not be subjected to instant replay. They are not in any other sport and they never will be. It would undermine the authority of referees on the field, and it would set terrible precedent for future use of replay. And that's to say nothing of the fact that replay would not have any effect on many of these calls anyway, as much of what goes into making a call has to do with what is going on and has gone on during the run of play.

And before you throw it out there again, this "field hockey" precedent you cited on another site has nothing to do with what we're talking about. Replay is used to adjudicate whether a goal has actually been scored when a referee is unable to physically confirm that the necessary criteria for a goal have been met. Replay is not used in any sport to overturn the judgement of referees regarding fouls/penalties.

11. bullsear

bullsear Member

Feb 17, 2009
    Club:
    Newcastle United FC
    I don't think it's necessary to make the rule, since it would actually incentivize the Cosmos not playing in the spring. It's not in the league's best interest to let them do that. It would look terrible for both the club and the league, and I'm sure the latter is already pretty pissed that the former have even suggested this notion.

12. Green and BLue

Green and BLue Member+

Seattle Sounders FC
    Nov 3, 2003
    Republic of Cascadia
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Not being able to play for a championship is an incentive?

13. bullsear

bullsear Member

Feb 17, 2009
    Club:
    Newcastle United FC
    Sorry. I flipped the scenario. I was thinking of the league making a rule to allow the team to play for the soccer bowl without playing in the first half of the season, not the rule that was proposed (which would ban them from it).

My point was that it's not in the league's best interest to let the Cosmos skip the first half of the season. I'll amend and tag my earlier post to sort out my own confusing mess.

Thanks for the reply and the correction.

EDIT: Oops! Can't edit it anymore. Sorry about that. This post will have to serve as mea culpa.

Green and BLue repped this.
  14. song219

song219 BigSoccer Supporter

Apr 5, 2004
    La Norte
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    Vanuatu
    Was this humor intentional?

I see your "snort" I'm assuming you meant to say that NASL has to learn to deal with it better than MLS.

15. speedcake

speedcake Member

Dec 2, 1999
    Tampa
    Club:
    FC Tampa Bay Rowdies
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    ya sort of. Was obviously alluding to the recent fiasco at Red Bull Arena or whatever it is called and the playoff match between NY and D.C. being postponed a day due to snow.

Besides, the NASL well reinstate the playoffs eventually and it isn't as if Edmonton will have anything to worry about in that case.

:D

16. kenntomasch

kenntomasch Member+

Sep 2, 1999
    Out West
    Club:
    FC Tampa Bay Rowdies
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  17. WhiteStar Warriors

Mar 25, 2007
    St.Pete/Krakow
    Club:
    FC Tampa Bay Rowdies
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    it's better to be prepared and enter in fall season... than be a FCNY.

18. ceezmad

ceezmad Member+

Mar 4, 2010
    Chicago
    Club:
    Chicago Red Stars
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  19. WhiteStar Warriors

Mar 25, 2007
    St.Pete/Krakow
    Club:
    FC Tampa Bay Rowdies
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    • No Cosmos in the Spring season. Erik Stover himself confirmed this. He stated the main reasons for this decision were the difficulty of putting together a roster by March and the Cosmos lack of a ticket service provider at the moment. He said that he did not want to field "a rubbish club in March with only 3,000 butts in the stands at Hofstra."
    • Cosmos will not compete in the Open Cup in 2013 though they view it as a major priority for future seasons.
    • No alcohol will be sold in Hofstra. Cosmos are working with Hofstra to see is a special deal can be worked out to include alchool as part of the ticket price.
    • Tailgating will be allowed and is being encouraged.
    • Stover said the front office is completely focused on NASL and improving the league's image and quality.
    • Stover did not seem aware that ustream streamed all NASL games for free
    • Stover hopes to have a local TV deal for the Cosmos by the time they start play. And he hopes the Cosmos deal will lead to a league wide TV deal in the near future.
    • Borough boys are committed to making Puerto Rico their big away trip for the year
    • Going off crowd reaction and speaking with a few people I think it is pretty clear that a large number of fans already view the Red Bulls as their biggest rival and are convinced the Cosmos will be the 20th team in MLS. That's the supporters' mindset mind you, not the front office of the Cosmos.
    • Little to no thought has been given to dealing with travelling supporters at Cosmos games. This makes sense considering how far along in the process they are with everything. The Borough Boys do not even know where they will be sitting at games yet.

20. ceezmad

ceezmad Member+

Mar 4, 2010
    Chicago
    Club:
    Chicago Red Stars
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    They should wait until 2014 then, IMO.

21. WhiteStar Warriors

Mar 25, 2007
    St.Pete/Krakow
    Club:
    FC Tampa Bay Rowdies
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I agree except their would be 3 teams coming in at once.

I think it will be like this: Cosmos fall season 2013, Ottawa spring season 2014, Virginia fall season 2014.. ;)

22. AmeriSnob

AmeriSnob Member+

Jan 23, 2010
    Queens
    Club:
    New York Cosmos
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Meh, the ownership wasn't getting ready during the previous summer because they (as a sports TV rights company) were doing business at the Olympics. And then Sandy happened, pushing their plans back even further.

Even then, I thought 4 months would be enough time to put together a roster and find a place to train (Mitchell Field perhaps?), which are supposedly the quoted reasons for not being ready on time. I didn't go to the Q&A session today, so I may have missed something.

23. kenntomasch

kenntomasch Member+

Sep 2, 1999
    Out West
    Club:
    FC Tampa Bay Rowdies
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Again...as if those are the only two choices.

This from the guy who said he'd rather be NASL champs than Toronto FC in MLS and then admitted he'd recant that in a second if Tampa Bay was actually in MLS.

But, hey, whatever happens, you have a spin for it, that it's better this way, you gotta adapt to changes on the fly, this is the NASL innovating, they're on the cutting edge, MLS is watching. Blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah.

Which would be a problem because.....

24. Jossed

Jossed Member+

Apr 23, 2011
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Brian Quarstad of IMS said he talked to a number of big soccer journalists, when this was just a rumor, and they all said the Cosmos playing a half season delegitimizes the NASL. Even Brian seemed to think this would give the NASL a black eye if it happened.

I don't know. But it is going to be embarrassing and just confuse people. Hell, what are the odds they even play at all in 2013?

Baghdad Bob has nothing on you. And FCNY did eventually take the field and manage to play an entire season. Can't say the same for the mythical Cosmos.

25. Prosoccercdn

Prosoccercdn Member+

Aug 6, 2011
    Club:
    FC Edmonton
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    So looks like a 30 game season probably for 2013 then with the Cosmos playing only half a season, 14 games first half season and 16 for the second half season. If one team gets on a roll in the first half season they may host Soccer Bowl. Go FCE go!:)