NASL 2014 Season News

Discussion in 'NASL' started by eclipse02, Nov 11, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ceezmad

ceezmad Member+

Mar 4, 2010
    Chicago
    Club:
    Chicago Red Stars
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Cosmos because they seem to want to spend money in stupid ways (or fantastic ways if you ask Cosmo fans).

Well as you say the "new" part is what I refer, Indy11 is looking good for year 1, the question will be if they can keep it up or if many fans forget about it by year 2.

I did say SA still had the best attendance last season (full year).

2. HailtotheKing

HailtotheKing Member+

San Antonio FC
    United States
    Dec 1, 2008
    TEXAS
    Club:
    San Antonio Scorpions FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    So you have numbers to back this up ? The NASL wages for the first 11 are within a small deviation of $74,625 ?

I'm going to need to see something .... here's my work: http://prosoccertalk.nbcsports.com/2013/08/13/mls-player-salaries-analysis-charts-and-tables/

Other than just stating these things, do you have evidence that this is actually the case ?

Domestic players have absolutely improved ... taking a gander at the USMNT rosters the last 2 seasons directly points to this. HG and academy signings have shot through the roof the last few years. While I admit there's a certain level of salary control in play, it certainly is better than the artificially inflated market most of the rest of the world delves in. Exactly, what expansion has been questionable ? Why ?

As for the last bit .... there is no substitute for time. NONE. There is literally NOTHING the league can do to get rid of the fact that it, and its clubs aren't even 20 years old yet (save the loose translations from NASL/ASL/etc days). There is no bullet for that or anything. It takes time to build history, connection, resonance, etc .... There has been no other place in the world where the cutting of the cord of the sport has happened like it was here. It takes time. Pointing to the "relative popularity" of the league is like pointing to the new kid in class and laughing because he doesn't know where the gym is.

bullsear and TheJoeGreene repped this.
  3. chapka

chapka Member+

May 18, 2004
    Haverford, PA
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Me, too. Here, for example, is an article stating that the OKC NASL team will have an operating budget of $4m to $5m, which is allegedly par for the NASL course.

Here is a San Antonio financial analysis, based on numbers provided by the team, which estimates that San Antonio spends $1.3 million a year on "Team Operations," which includes all player, coach, and front office salaries, travel, sales and marketing expenses, and everything else not related to the stadium. The same report estimates that the typical "Team Operations" expense for the NASL is about $2 million.

Onionsack is claiming that the salaries of just eleven players, less than half of an NASL squad, take up $800,000 or more of those budgets (the MLS median times 11).

That would leave, for San Antonio, just $500,000 or so to split among the 19 other roster spots, plus the two coaches and fourteen front office positions listed on their web site. That's about $14,000 each for the year, even before we start talking about bus, plane, hotel, per diem, uniforms, balls, goals, facilities costs, or anything else.

Sorry, but I don't buy it.

TheJoeGreene repped this.
  4. HailtotheKing

HailtotheKing Member+

San Antonio FC
    United States
    Dec 1, 2008
    TEXAS
    Club:
    San Antonio Scorpions FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  5. Yoshou

Yoshou Fan of the CCL Champ

May 12, 2009
    Seattle
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Depends on your definition of "small" and "deviation". If you are saying that deviation means standard deviation and small is 2, then 2 standard deviations in the salary of MLS's starting XI is anywhere from $0 to $10 million. :)

TheJoeGreene and HailtotheKing repped this.
  6. AndyMead

AndyMead Homo Sapien

Nov 2, 1999
    Seat 12A
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Sure. There's plenty to criticize.

But when the criticism fails to acknowledge the wasteland of professional soccer before MLS (and - to be fair - below MLS) and basically calls for MLS to be blown up, that criticism itself becomes a fair target in and of itself.

bullsear and TheJoeGreene repped this.
  7. AndyMead

AndyMead Homo Sapien

Nov 2, 1999
    Seat 12A
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    As there is no CBA in NASL and players are on their own individualized contracts, the actual value of said contracts is harder to compare.

You wind up with players paid by the week/month - but only during the season. $4k/month doesn't mean $48k/year.

I would expect the median (and possibly average, too) NASL salary to be below MLS's minimum of 30k or so. 25 players at 30k would be $750k. While the Cosmos have one player making half that amount, I'm guessing 750k is probably a fair basis point for the rest of the league. If I was betting, I'd actually take the under.

NASL players aren't in NASL for the money, they're in it for the playing time. The opportunity to get to a better league.

8. AndyMead

AndyMead Homo Sapien

Nov 2, 1999
    Seat 12A
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    That's rarely the case in niche and minor league sports.

If there is a correlation, it's usually based on past performance. Teams will have a bump the season after doing well.

Minor league and niche sport attendance is more affected by marketing and weather than by on field performance.

TheJoeGreene and kenntomasch repped this.
  9. kenntomasch

kenntomasch Member+

Sep 2, 1999
    Out West
    Club:
    FC Tampa Bay Rowdies
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Correlation is not causation.

It is simply not true that "any team anywhere" that wins will draw well and "any team anywhere" that does not win will not draw well.

Don't take attendance smack personally - they're just trying to get to you. Don't play their game.

Anyone who's ever sold tickets to anything at the lower levels of sport will tell you that a competitive team is better than a non-competitive team, but that there is no straight-line correlation between team performance and ticket sales. If there were, teams would devote 90% of their resources to players and coaches. And they do not.

Trust me. Done this. It ain't like that.

10. AndyMead

AndyMead Homo Sapien

Nov 2, 1999
    Seat 12A
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Case in point.

Compare and contrast the on field performance and attendance figures for the San Jose Clash and the pre-relocation San Jose Earthquakes.

One of those had Landon Donovan and two MLS Cup championships. The other had Troy Dayak and some truly terrifying jerseys. I'll leave it to the reader to figure out which of those did better at the box office.

11. HailtotheKing

HailtotheKing Member+

San Antonio FC
    United States
    Dec 1, 2008
    TEXAS
    Club:
    San Antonio Scorpions FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I've been involved at a small level as well (though not as involved as you) ... I completely understand it isn't a direct point for point.

Let me put it this way though:

"Across the board in sporting endeavors ... what are some of the biggest and most common reasons for failing attendance ?"

... would "the team sucks" not be in that answer ?

12. AndyMead

AndyMead Homo Sapien

Nov 2, 1999
    Seat 12A
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Not in my experience. No.

HailtotheKing and TheJoeGreene repped this.
  13. CCSUltra

CCSUltra Member+

Nov 18, 2008
    Cleveland
    Club:
    Hertha BSC Berlin
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It really depends on a number of factors. There are plenty of "bad" teams that get good attendance.

14. MattND28

MattND28 Member

Jan 10, 2014
    Garber is the man. I'm sure other sports leagues in America are eying him and thinking, "man, wish we had that guy."

The guy is extremely smart and well-spoken and obviously has an idea of where he wants the league to be going and so far, he's been taking them there.

No, I'd say the NASL's biggest problem is that MLS has Garber -- and they don't.

15. HailtotheKing

HailtotheKing Member+

San Antonio FC
    United States
    Dec 1, 2008
    TEXAS
    Club:
    San Antonio Scorpions FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Interesting ...

Pitt and Minnesota have done that exact thing the last few years in the NFL (and Pitt is a very well run organization that has a loyal fanbase - and of course "failing" is relative in all cases).

When you look at the bottom of the attendance charts for the NFL, MLB, MLS, NBA, and NHL there is a definite pattern that exists. Yes, outliers are there (some places can't draw for shit, period, while others will draw no matter what), but the "bad" teams have attendance that is mostly huddled in the middle and lower part of the attendance tables (of course, I'm going by pct of stadium filled as capacities inflate/deflate a bit).

16. MLSinSTL

MLSinSTL Member+

Columbus Crew
    United States
    Mar 20, 2009
    Ohio - near a city
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  17. cflsteve

cflsteve Member

Jul 21, 2013
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    San Antonio always seems to be a just miss when it comes to top pro sports in NA.
    The Spurs are strong in the NBA circles but even Building the Alomodome back when could not get an NFL franchise. However the Alomodome is home to DI college football now with UTSA adding to the stable of College football in Texas.
    Scorpians now have the right stadium plan in place similar to Montreals plan but not a high priority for the MLS.
    However having an awesome stadium and steady ownership group fairs well for their current league NASL.

18. MLSinSTL

MLSinSTL Member+

Columbus Crew
    United States
    Mar 20, 2009
    Ohio - near a city
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  19. AndyMead

AndyMead Homo Sapien

Nov 2, 1999
    Seat 12A
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
  20. cflsteve

cflsteve Member

Jul 21, 2013
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    As of now it appears that the Scorpians would have a pretty big edge in meeting MLS requirements for an expansion team over Austin. IMHO the MLS has made it pretty clear that expansion into Texas will happen in the future but just not at this time.
    In the meantime playing an annual match with Dallas each year as FCD last pre season game is a great marketing tool.
    Pre Season Friendlies with Mexican league sides would not hurt either.
    Annual Mexican National team friendly at the Alomodome seems as a no brainer for the city, scorpians, and the Mexican national team.
    Keep and improve on it local Broadcast Network KSAT12 and its sub digital 12.2 MeTV

Be creative with non League friendlies. a Pre season tournament with an MLS side a USL Pro side, A mexican Club, and the scorpians at home at Toyota field with actual TV coverage via its KSAT partner where streams or simulacsts can be seen for the visiting teams home cities.

Although not being in the top tier MLS having your organization run as a top tier organization can go along way for future.
    IMHO.

21. kenntomasch

kenntomasch Member+

Sep 2, 1999
    Out West
    Club:
    FC Tampa Bay Rowdies
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    No shit.

For the PDL, that's really good. But, hey, Mr. Business Journal Guy, why bother to compare apples to apples?

22. AndyMead

AndyMead Homo Sapien

Nov 2, 1999
    Seat 12A
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Anyone remember where the Toronto Lynx played?

Exactly.

23. cflsteve

cflsteve Member

Jul 21, 2013
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Centenial Park Stadium in Etobicoke

24. mng146

mng146 Member

Jul 19, 2011
    Rochester, NY
    #574 mng146, Mar 9, 2014
    Last edited: Mar 9, 2014
    He wasn't really asking, it was.....oh, never mind!

Yes, but their attendance was FEWER than 4,300 according to the article, whereas the SA crowds were MORE than the numbers he listed. You have to look for those key words in business journal articles to get the true meaning ;).

Hack job indeed.

25. AndyMead

AndyMead Homo Sapien

Nov 2, 1999
    Seat 12A
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    San Antonio rulez, Austin droolz

HailtotheKing repped this.