Nashville Metros & Middle Tennessee Soccer Supporters Comprehensive Discussion

Discussion in 'United Soccer Leagues' started by Huwiler's Odoreaters, Mar 27, 2008.

1. panicfc

panicfc Member+

Dec 22, 2000
    In my chair, typing
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    hehe. Well done Francisco.

I'm going to see if I can make the game against New Orleans, my home town team. Negative is I have to be at work the next day at 8:39 and probably won't get home till around 11.

2. Titanole

Titanole Member

Nashville SC
    United States
    Feb 15, 2005
    Nashville, TN
    Club:
    Nashville Metros
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I have yet to get to a match this year. I never remember when they are playing. The PR has been awful. For those who have been to Ezell this season, what does the pitch look like? That's been terribly disappointing as well recently.

Looks like they are playing as badly as they have been the past several years. If that's the case, I don't think I've missed much so far.

3. Titanole

Titanole Member

Nashville SC
    United States
    Feb 15, 2005
    Nashville, TN
    Club:
    Nashville Metros
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    FWIW, the Metros website has undergone another facelift. It looks a lot better and some things are a little more up-to-date.

4. panicfc

panicfc Member+

Dec 22, 2000
    In my chair, typing
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Next game is May 15th.

Really?

First win of the season - May 24th?

This is an organization that doesn't care.

5. Titanole

Titanole Member

Nashville SC
    United States
    Feb 15, 2005
    Nashville, TN
    Club:
    Nashville Metros
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Well it seems that they have that rotating image that links to a tickets page (where there isn't much) that includes all home matches. Should they probably take the past matches out of the rotation? Yeah, probably. But I'm not going to bust their chops over it. And I would guess that the item about their first victory on May 21 was written on May 24.

However, I will criticize them for the lack of news overall. There is no reason the last story on there should be for a match played over two weeks ago, particularly given the fact that they just won both matches of a weekend road trip for the first time since July 2004 and their first win streak since July 2005. It's not hard to write a little blurb, even when you don't have a lot of information about the match. Hell, I used to have to do it all the time.

And don't look now, but the Metros have actually equalled the most wins in a season (3) over the previous five years (2006 and 2008). Of course their wins over that period have almost always come in the first part of the season. They can still collapse.

6. panicfc

panicfc Member+

Dec 22, 2000
    In my chair, typing
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm going to bust their chops, because this is 2011 and it shouldn't be that hard to update a website.

Oh, they lost to New Orleans 3-2.

7. Titanole

Titanole Member

Nashville SC
    United States
    Feb 15, 2005
    Nashville, TN
    Club:
    Nashville Metros
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I agree that the website needs to be as current and as informative as possible, especially since that information isn't going to be found anywhere in the local media. Remember, I'm the guy who used to have that job (award winning, btw ;) ). It takes a little time and effort, but it's not difficult.

And I guess it's not just the Metros website that can be incorrect. When I checked the PDL site earlier they had a 1-0 Metros win against New Orleans and three wins in the standings. It's correct now.

8. panicfc

panicfc Member+

Dec 22, 2000
    In my chair, typing
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I've run two teams, and been involved with four. The last two were after the internet was commonplace and expected. We updated our site minutes after the games were over in all three places. Either I or an intern wrote new stories at least once a week, and in some cases 2-3 a week.

I'm going to my first Metro match on Sunday, its been 13 years since I've been to Ezell. Hope I can find it ;)

9. panicfc

panicfc Member+

Dec 22, 2000
    In my chair, typing
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I can mock the Jesters too - they haven't updated their site since May 28th. Sad.

10. Titanole

Titanole Member

Nashville SC
    United States
    Feb 15, 2005
    Nashville, TN
    Club:
    Nashville Metros
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That's the way I used to do it when I was the Metros webmaster. Well, maybe not minutes after the match, but certainly by the next morning. And Renner always had something written for me by midweek for the upcoming matches.

But things change.

11. panicfc

panicfc Member+

Dec 22, 2000
    In my chair, typing
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Was that when Nashville was pro?

The more things change, the more they stay the same.

You would think by now, they would have an intern from Belmont or Vandy writing stories for them. Then get a site that allows you to upload very easily.

12. TheHammers

TheHammers New Member

Jul 21, 2007
    My bff jills house
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yes they did!

Too bad us Brilla don't have a thread of our own here. :(

13. Titanole

Titanole Member

Nashville SC
    United States
    Feb 15, 2005
    Nashville, TN
    Club:
    Nashville Metros
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    My first year as webmaster in 2001 was their last in the second division.

14. panicfc

panicfc Member+

Dec 22, 2000
    In my chair, typing
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Well that was not as I had expected.

Team was not bad, and much deserving of more support.

Ezell - close it down.

15. Titanole

Titanole Member

Nashville SC
    United States
    Feb 15, 2005
    Nashville, TN
    Club:
    Nashville Metros
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It's gotten hard to support them when the product has been so bad and the match day experience has been miserable. I haven't been to a match yet because of that.

16. panicfc

panicfc Member+

Dec 22, 2000
    In my chair, typing
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Honestly, if I had any money, I'd open an NPSL team and play somewhere else. Then see if could get a team in Hendersonville and or Murpheesboro.

Add those to the rest of the league and you have something good.

17. panicfc

panicfc Member+

Dec 22, 2000
    In my chair, typing
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  18. Titanole

Titanole Member

Nashville SC
    United States
    Feb 15, 2005
    Nashville, TN
    Club:
    Nashville Metros
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yeah, I know. I noticed that a while back. I imagine the ghost of "Pistol Pete" Maravich was running around the pitch.

And you know another weird thing. I went to the match Saturday night against Baton Rouge. There was no one taking tickets at the entrance. I got in free.

19. panicfc

panicfc Member+

Dec 22, 2000
    In my chair, typing
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I thought I mentioned that happened when I went to see the "Jazz" play.

I can only imagine the GM, former hoopster, wrote that article. ;)

20. Blackbox

Blackbox Member

Jul 12, 2007
    Indiana/Tennessee
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    3-10-3 overall record while being 0-7-1 at home. GF: 15, GA: 31. When does this nightmare end? I wish I could say I don't care but the fact is I'd like to see the sport do well in the area.

21. panicfc

panicfc Member+

Dec 22, 2000
    In my chair, typing
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    This team needs new ownership.

That's the only hope for the future.

22. Blackbox

Blackbox Member

Jul 12, 2007
    Indiana/Tennessee
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Talk about slipping through the cracks...

Fifth Third inks deal with Metros, Nashville Post. 6/16/11

The highlights include Fifth Third inking 3 year, $20,000 per-year deal for the Metros. Money to be invested into upgrading Ezell Park including remodeled locker rooms and press box and building an indoor-soccer facility. Upgrades to help team move up to USL PRO and MLS. Metros GM Brad Branson: "Our goal within one or two years is to go to USL Pro and you have to meet certain requirements." Branson also says ownership's longterm goal is MLS.

And then there's this follow-up editorial: Friday Thought Project: Soccer, concerts and two birds with one stone.

Much of this article is just speculation concerning where an MLS stadium could be situated in Nashville. But it does mention Branson saying the Metros would begin the "formal process" of bringing MLS to Nashville in 3-5 years.

IMO, this is for now all talk...but then again that's better than what Metros fans are use to, right? MLS still seems like a pipe dream but even the idea of USL PRO is kind of exciting. Either way, the fact that a company is investing this kind of money in the Metros is awesome.

23. panicfc

panicfc Member+

Dec 22, 2000
    In my chair, typing
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    saw this on the facebook page.

$20k is a great sponsorship deal, hopefully they can land a few more like that to really turn the team around.

24. Blackbox

Blackbox Member

Jul 12, 2007
    Indiana/Tennessee
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yeah, give credit where credit is due. I know I've been harsh on the current state of their website but it was an article there that eventually led me to what I found. Hopefully a little more press coverage comes their way with these moves being made off the field.

If they can get more sponsorship of this caliber, it'd be interesting to see what they'd invest their money in next. Maybe a new logo? As a graphic designer, I'd work for them for free.

25. panicfc

panicfc Member+

Dec 22, 2000
    In my chair, typing
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Its a 90 minute drive, but if the Metros upgraded on and off the field, I'd be more likely to make more games. My experience against New Orleans - upsetting.