Nashville Metros & Middle Tennessee Soccer Supporters Comprehensive Discussion

Discussion in 'United Soccer Leagues' started by Huwiler's Odoreaters, Mar 27, 2008.

1. Huwiler's Odoreaters

Apr 10, 2007
    Note to moderators: please be aware that this is a free-ranging discussion, so please go easy on this thread.

From https://www.bigsoccer.com/forum/showpost.php?p=14210770&postcount=108

Lefty1984 suggested we move a Nashville Metros discussion, and I don't think it would be such a bad idea for this to be a central place to discuss not only the Metros, but also places to watch games on television or any other "spectator" aspect of soccer in the Nashville area.

If anyone wants to post about pick-up games or anything else, feel free to do so.

There's already that Tennessee in MLS expansion thread, so maybe we lay off the broader issues around MLS expansion, which is right now just a dream.

If there is planning around any future US games in the area, I think it should be in the US Fans and Travel forum to help out of towners out.

2. Huwiler's Odoreaters

Apr 10, 2007
    As far as a supporters group goes: the Olympic qualifiers may or may not give the Metros a bump. Devinder was outside the Sams Army section building some awareness of the team.

So the iron may be hot, or at least as hot as it's going to get.

But here's the deal: in my experience with supporters group (I grew up here but lived in NYC from 1995 until a couple years ago, and am an ESC member), it really takes a critical mass of a dozen or more people, depending on how self-conscious they are, to feel comfortable enough to really participate (singing/standing). I'm absolutely NOT a recruiter. The best case to be made to people who want to join a supporters group is to see the atmosphere created by the SG.

So I plan on at least attending as many games as I can this year, which will be tricky because I'm getting married, and gauging the interest in starting a supporters group.

I've been to a couple Metros games, but years ago. I admire what the owners have done with the team: totally under the local sports radar (TITANSTITANSTITANSVOLS), and often on a shoestring budget, they have done a great job keeping the club more or less continuously operating. It's EXACTLY the kind of local club that any soccer fan should support. It ain't like watching a big time match on FSC or ESPN2, but going to matches is a part of the sport that a lot of American soccer fans have neglected, and no matter what level your local team plays at, they're worth supporting.

Off the soapbox now. Let's see what kind of crowd we can muster up.

3. normal molly

normal molly New Member

Mar 20, 2008
    I think this may be as hot as the proverbial iron will get.

As I've said on the other thread, I'm down. This is just the type of team I'm proud to support, so I will be there. That being said, I'll have to miss a few games due to this whole getting married ruckus, but other than that, I'll be there.

4. Huwiler's Odoreaters

Apr 10, 2007
    WHAT AN AMAZING COINCIDENCE

CONGRATULATIONS !!!!11 !!1 1ONE

5. normal molly

normal molly New Member

Mar 20, 2008
    It is amazing!

You clearly have impeccable taste.

6. Lefty1984

Lefty1984 New Member

Mar 3, 2008
    Ft. Bragg, NC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Is there any truth to the rumor I heard last year about The Metros moving to Murfreesboro? I heard they played a few games here and drew pretty good crowds. I'm not suggesting it, I just thought this would be a good talking point.

And, I have to say I admire these guys because of the work ethic involved in playing for a team such as this. The pay can't be much and the amount of time involved in practice/playing has to be strenuous. Not to mention the fact that it looks like most of them are in college. Tremendous dedication.

7. Lefty1984

Lefty1984 New Member

Mar 3, 2008
    Ft. Bragg, NC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Oh, and it has to be said: Awesome thread name.

8. Blackbox

Blackbox Member

Jul 12, 2007
    Indiana/Tennessee
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    If I'm in town like I think its possible this summer, count me in.

It has been a while since I've made it to a game. Keeping up with the Metros last season, definitely saw how we weren't quite getting the wins. Any outlooks as far as the competition this season? I do believe Panama City has an expansion team in our group now, yes?

9. owain

owain Member

Jul 29, 2007
    I've never been to a Metros game myself, but I'd be willing. I really enjoyed this last week. I generally work weekends though.

10. Lefty1984

Lefty1984 New Member

Mar 3, 2008
    Ft. Bragg, NC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Any little bit helps. Just keep up with the team and spread the word.

Originally we were discussing an MLS club in TN, but I think we can all agree that better support for the Metros would be the first step.

Can anyone tell me if PDL is promotable to USL-1?

11. Lefty1984

Lefty1984 New Member

Mar 3, 2008
    Ft. Bragg, NC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    AND....

What do you guys think our chances for a WC Qualifier are? I was suprised at the amount of fans that came out for the Olympic Q's for an Easter holiday weekend in the Bible Belt.

Any thoughts? Any insider information? Do tell.

12. Huwiler's Odoreaters

Apr 10, 2007
    Carolina Dynamo away Sat 10-May 6:30
    Cary RailHawks U23's away Sun 11-May 2:00
    BRADENTON ACADEMICS home Wed 21-May 7:00
    PALM BEACH PUMAS home Sat 24-May 7:00

Atlanta Silverbacks U23's away Tues 27-May 4:00
    Central Florida Kraze away Sat 31-May 6:00
    Panama City Pirates away Sun 1-Jun 2:00
    CAROLINA DYNAMO home Sat 7-Jun 7:00
    Atlanta Silverbacks U23's away Ths 12-Jun 4:00
    ATLANTA SILVERBACKS U23'S home Sat 14-Jun 7:00
    CARY RAILHAWKS U23'S home Fri 27-Jun 7:00
    CARY RAILHAWKS U23'S home Sat 28-Jun 7:00
    ATLANTA SILVERBACKS U23'S home Sat 5-Jul 7:00

CAROLINA DYNAMO home Sat 12-Jul 7:00
    Carolina Dynamo away Fri 18-Jul 6:30
    Cary RailHawks U23's away Sat 19-Jul 6:30

13. Huwiler's Odoreaters

Apr 10, 2007
    Well, six of the eight home regular season games are on Saturdays, but they're at 7pm... does that make it any easier? Ezell is about twenty-five minutes from where you work (not to be creepy, it's just that Molly says she met you today).

14. Huwiler's Odoreaters

Apr 10, 2007
    Honestly, I don't have the slightest freaking idea.

THAT I can answer. Yes. See above. Apparently the Metros don't play them at home, but at least they get one game on the Redneck Riviera.

15. Huwiler's Odoreaters

Apr 10, 2007
    PDL isn't technically promotable. Truth of the matter is that I could start Racing de Maxwell Heights tomorrow, and if I were willing to pay Francisco Marcos a big pile of money, put down a performance bond, and find a place to play, RdMH would be fielding a USL1 team.

Making money, or more precisely, not losing an insane amount of money, is a different story. That's the problem. It would be nice to have ambition for the club you follow to move to a higher standard league, but I wouldn't wish for the people who are good enough to pay for a PDL team (which isn't cheap, either!) to hemorrhage so much money we're left with nothing.

My attitude towards this is that it'll be a bunch of nice evenings out watching the local boys play, that with some luck we'll make the Open Cup or the playoffs, and if we get enough people that we won't look ridiculous singing songs and making noise (me and Molly alone aren't gonna cut it), then maybe we can get something going. The fact that the Metros are a going concern after nearly 20 years is remarkable-- at the very least, you won't be following a club that will quickly sink under the waves under dubious circumstances, like so many A-League/USISL/USL teams.

16. Huwiler's Odoreaters

Apr 10, 2007
    I have no insider information about a World Cup qualifier, but I wouldn't be surprised if we end up with a game at LP Field. After the Morocco friendly, I heard that the USSF was happy with Nashville, so the excellent turnout last weekend can't hurt things.

17. owain

owain Member

Jul 29, 2007
    Stalker! ;)

I'm happy to meet another soccer fan.

We close at 7 over the summer, but there's also a good deal more flexibility so I might be able to cut out early on occasion. I can certainly make the second half for just about all those games and I think I'll plan on it. I've felt guilty not going to any games since I've been here (I watched a couple on their web site though!)

I do have surgery coming up in May and I'm not sure what the recovery time will be, but I'll keep in touch. :D

18. normal molly

normal molly New Member

Mar 20, 2008
    I thought I heard somewhere that when they were building LP Field that they included the soccer pitch in the design in the far off hopes that they may one day get a World Cup qualifier if it ever comes back to the US.

19. frodo0666

frodo0666 Member

Jul 27, 2007
    Greensboro, NC
    Club:
    Carolina Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Good luck with the team this season. I am looking forward to the Dynamo matches with Nashville. As far as the competition, the strongest teams are the USL-1 development teams (U-23) in Atlanta and Raleigh. However, both Nashville and the Dynamo will likely win most of the games against the four Florida teams.

20. owain

owain Member

Jul 29, 2007
    So, it looks like I'll be around Nashville at least through the end of May, so I plan to go to the first game at least:

BRADENTON ACADEMICS home Wed 21-May 7:00

Looking forward to it!

21. normal molly

normal molly New Member

Mar 20, 2008
    Excellent! We'll be there too! I'll get in touch with you about it! (I know where you work...) :)

22. wjarrettc

wjarrettc Member
    Staff Member

Oct 1, 2002
    Cliffs of Insanity
    Club:
    Carolina Railhawks
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  23. Huwiler's Odoreaters

Apr 10, 2007
    Metros are 1-1-0 after the weekend.

2-0 loss to Carolina; 2-0 win over Cary U-23s.

Why did Cary not make any subs: http://www.uslsoccer.com/stats/2008/657235.html?

Goals for Glover and Marten for Nashville. 3rd in the southeast after a couple games.

Central Florida looks in the drivers seat for the Open Cup.

24. Blackbox

Blackbox Member

Jul 12, 2007
    Indiana/Tennessee
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Thanks for the pics!

When is the final point for US Open Cup qualification?

25. Huwiler's Odoreaters

Apr 10, 2007
    5/26, but only three pre-specified matches count. CFC is on 9 points after three games-- not positive they all go towards qualification, but that's an enviable position.