Name Poll(New)

Discussion in 'Inter Miami CF' started by Andy Bulldog, Feb 26, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. drSoFlaFan

drSoFlaFan DEFEND THE FORT!

Feb 25, 2008
    Plantation, FL
    Club:
    Ft Lauderdale Strikers
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    No because people in Tampa would not support a team in South Florida, and we sure as hell wouldn't support a team up there.

The only 3 names you've listed with any merit are the Fusion, Strikers and Rowdies. The rest are all either pure high school football or names that are already used in major pro sports(Pirates, Sharks, Argonauts).

It's not like when the Marlins started and they were the first MLB team ever in Florida. South Florida and the Bay area already have rich soccer traditions and history, so I personally wouldn't mess with it.

2. Koreanjhee

Koreanjhee New Member

Aug 22, 2010
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Miami Athletics FC would be best bet.

I want to be proud of a Florida team.

3. Neals1964

Neals1964 Member

Sep 29, 2010
    Valley forge
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    How about this " You'll Get Nothing and Like It!".

4. Lucho305

Lucho305 Member

Inter Miami CF, Junior de Barranquilla
    United States
    Jul 9, 2008
    Miami
    Club:
    Miami FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    How about this.. Your team sucks ass!!

Miami will get a team... you just hating

5. celeste4life

celeste4life Member

Dec 16, 2007
    United States
    Club:
    CA Peñarol
    Nat'l Team:
    Uruguay
    Miami Sharks. Which is the name the Dolphins should have

6. Lucho305

Lucho305 Member

United States
    Jul 9, 2008
    Miami
    Club:
    Miami FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Why you like tht naming method just want an answer not trolling or anything ,I just want to know why some people like that naming method that should only stick to Amercan sports, and not international sports like soccer....

I dont mind Galaxy as a name for los angeles, thats kind of tradition but for miami i want a more miami name to it, i understand our teams have sea animals but when it comes to soccer i would rather have a more pro name you know like:

Atletico Miami/Miami Athletcs (ACMiami)
    Internazionale Miami
    Deportivo Miami/Miami Sporting
    Miami FC

just basic names that have spanish english alternate names, so it can grasp both markets and then if you'd like nickname them the sharks, or anything etc.

7. drSoFlaFan

Feb 25, 2008
    Plantation, FL
    Club:
    Ft Lauderdale Strikers
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The thing about names like that is that they are very unoriginal. Especially "Inter Miami" and "AC Miami", basically ripping off Milan, even sounds like it. It's like "Real Salt Lake", just copying a Euro team with no real reason to. Now, if we can come up with a Euro-sounding name that has a true South Florida origin, that would work. I like Magic City FC for that. But as I've said before if MLS returns and it's playing in Miami, my first choice would be to revive the Miami Fusion FC name and history. I always thought it was a great name, but it made no sense for a team playing in Fort Lauderdale.

8. Lucho305

Lucho305 Member

United States
    Jul 9, 2008
    Miami
    Club:
    Miami FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I guess your right, I think it would be a good choice to revive the original name... Miami Fusion FC, it kind of has the Seattle Sounders FC touch to it, which I like, what i dont like is the naming like Colombuas crew, and New England revolution... Miami Fusion FC would definitely be good, i like the colors and all as well

9. DavidP

DavidP Member

Mar 21, 1999
    Powder Springs, GA
    Darts/Gatos/Toros/Strikers have more in common with the Sounders than the Fusion did, and they lasted a lot longer (1970-1984 in the NASL (1970-71 in DC, 72-82 (?) in FL)). Plus, those weren't just made-up hipster names to try to bring in the grungers/skaters, who never showed up (ditto with Crew, Galaxy, Burn, Clash, Revolution, Wiz, etc.).

10. drSoFlaFan

Feb 25, 2008
    Plantation, FL
    Club:
    Ft Lauderdale Strikers
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The problem with those "hipster" names in Florida was not only did they fail to bring out the "grungers and skaters" but they also turned off a good bit of the preexisting NASL fanbases in Ft. Lauderdale and Tampa.

I really wish that what happened in Seattle when they were deciding the name of their MLS team happened in South Florida and Tampa. If they had a fan poll of any sort, the Strikers and Rowdies would have been playing in MLS instead of the Fusion and Mutiny. Would they still exist as a result? I think they would have stood a better chance but we'll never know.

11. DavidP

DavidP Member

Mar 21, 1999
    Powder Springs, GA
    I would think you're probably right. :) But hey, the soccer powers that be in the US have the knack of needlessly reinventing the wheel every 20 years or so. Whatcha gonna do, your know?

12. Eleven Bravo

Eleven Bravo Member+

Atlanta United
    United States
    Jul 3, 2004
    SC
    Club:
    Atlanta Silverbacks
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    i got to say that i really like the names Crew, Galaxy, and Revolution.
    (1) Crew is pretty similiar to Union in that it's a euro/american compromise name...plus, it does play off of their theme of America's hardest working team and it rolls off the tongue
    (2) LA is "home of the stars" plus Galaxy has the words LA right in the center...clever. also, another euro-american compromise.
    (3) And revolution is perfect for New England considering how much pride there is in NE about the American Revolution.

however, i never understood Burn, Clash, or Mutiny though. they all sound like [enter city] we suck. Fusion was weak but at least it wasn't negative.

13. Eleven Bravo

Eleven Bravo Member+

Atlanta United
    United States
    Jul 3, 2004
    SC
    Club:
    Atlanta Silverbacks
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Getting back on point with Florida,

i really love the name "Armada" for a Florida team...especially, for Miami the "cruise capital" and Tampa where the USS Armada was built in the Tampa shipyard. Moreover, it's unique, it's understandable to both spanish & [american-]english speaking audiences, it plays off the region, and signifies unity.

Also, I understand that most of you may be against doing so, but i like the idea of calling the team by the state since in all likelihood MLS will only expand to one Florida team. And i think it would help build a rivalry between a true southern team (from GA, SC, AL, TN, MS, or NC). anyways, that's just my opinion, and y'all can decide if yall want to try to incorporate all of FL or not into one team.

14. Andy Bulldog

Andy Bulldog Member

Dec 17, 2007
    Alabama
    Club:
    West Ham United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The most likely candidate is going to be the Ft.Lauderdale Strikers. But its not written in stone that it will be the Strikers. However it all hangs on the fans support of the Strikers until then to prove to MLS they really want football in the area.
    Unfortunately there are no other teams in the deep south and may not be for a long time. Tampa, Georgia or NC would probably be next in line if southern Florida gets one first.

15. celeste4life

celeste4life Member

Dec 16, 2007
    United States
    Club:
    CA Peñarol
    Nat'l Team:
    Uruguay
    It also depends on whether it is Traffic bringing us MLS or not. They might have copyrights to the name now

16. Lucho305

Lucho305 Member

United States
    Jul 9, 2008
    Miami
    Club:
    Miami FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    HOnestly I know it sounds absurd but Im sure each city could hang on its own in thier respective division, Maybe Miami can have MLS and the Strikers could stay in NASL, just a thought if not then Whatever it takes to get MLS. BUt i THink it would be neat having a close rivalry 45 minutes away possibly the closest rivalry for a Florida team because Tampa, Ft. Laudy is 4 hours away, a rivalry will grow but not as fast as a Miami, Ft. Laudy one...

17. Andy Bulldog

Andy Bulldog Member

Dec 17, 2007
    Alabama
    Club:
    West Ham United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That would be kool if the south Florida area could have 2 teams. But the Strikers are the only team in the area for now. And the fans will have to support them well to show MLS they are serious about wanting a team in MLS.

18. Lucho305

Lucho305 Member

United States
    Jul 9, 2008
    Miami
    Club:
    Miami FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Lol we always had MLS in our minds, funny thread 5 years ago, time flies, happy we now are getting a team