Name for the Atlanta Franchise

Discussion in 'MLS: General' started by joe, Apr 17, 2014.

1. Eleven Bravo

Eleven Bravo Member+

Atlanta United
    United States
    Jul 3, 2004
    SC
    Club:
    Atlanta Silverbacks
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Most of the names fall into themes....

1. Rise from the ashes and/or bird theme:
    -Phoenix (city symbol)
    -Firebirds, Reaurgens, and Rising (alternative versions)

I believe this theme is the most desirable and most want to include the Phoenix in the team somehow.

2. Railroad and Capital/hub of the South theme
    -for the most part, Locomotive is the clear front runner, but there is Crossroads which may fall way side because it was discussed for awhile and fizzled. Empire is a name that has not been thrown out a lot, but it has been discussed for awhile now... It's a name that I believe should be more popular given that Georgia is the empire state of the south. Some people have suggested Engine Room and it's almost disgusting that i've seen more than one person say they like that. I can't tell if they're trolling or serious. That said, if you want to narrow this down, Locomotive is the clear cut favorite for the railroad/hub of the south theme.

Of note, Atlanta Aeros, Inter Atlanta, and even Atlanta Wings were popular a few years ago.

3. Olympics/Global city theme:
    -Atlanta Olympic has actually been very popular. Atlanta Olympians has been suggest but not really caught on.... There are also Atlas Atlanta and Apollo Atlanta which have moderate popularity... They are certainly not considered as popular as Legion, Locomotive, Firebirds, Olympic, or Phoenix. Atlanta FC and Inter Atlanta fall in this category too, but God I hate those names.

4. American soccer style/ team purpose theme:
    First, let me define what I mean by team purpose themes, team names like United, Crew, Dynamo, Union, etc... Galaxy and Fire still fall in that American style. Finally, there are American style-euro rip offs like Sporting KC that even die hard red, white, and blue Americans can like.

In this category, Legion is the front runner. It is a strong,universal name that represents unity. That said, there are some legit contendes with Atlanta Vanguard amd Atlanta Athletic. Athletic would follow the mold of SKC. Whereas, Vanguard is a promise from the fans, the owners, and the team to be a flagship franchise and take the lead in being on the cutting edge of the sport progressing in the country. Again, Legion is the most popular, but could see Atlanta Athletic and Atlanta Vanguard making some noise.

2. Red Card

Red Card Member+

Mar 3, 1999
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    If all else fails, Atlanta Franchise FC. ;)

3. Bisquick_in_da_MGM

Jul 26, 2013
    Club:
    Atlanta
    As I've said before, Olympic is my favorite. It's Euro and unique to NA. I just don't like Locomotive. It sounds silly to me. Maybe train theme would be cool. I don't like Firebird as much as Phoenix. Phoenix is cool and doesn't end in s, which is always cool.

4. Ghost

Ghost Member+

Sep 5, 2001
    Generally, I like the idea of the historical/civic theme approach. Unfortunately, I don't think sone of those names are particularly appealing. Resurgens FC doesn't exactly roll off the tongue. I would like Terminus FC, but still odd for casual fans. Atlanta Phoenix .... sounds alright, but confusing, due to Arizona, and what happens if Phoenix gets a franchise in the future?

5. firefan2001

firefan2001 Member+

Dec 27, 2000
    Oswego, Illinois
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Atlanta FC or SC

6. Bisquick_in_da_MGM

Jul 26, 2013
    Club:
    Atlanta
    S.C. We live in the United State of America. It's called soccer here.

Killakakam repped this.
  7. firefan2001

firefan2001 Member+

Dec 27, 2000
    Oswego, Illinois
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    FC Dallas
    Seattle Sounders FC

FC Zanarkand Abes! repped this.
  8. Bisquick_in_da_MGM

Jul 26, 2013
    Club:
    Atlanta
    Yes. That doesn't mean that it is common usage in this country. Or other countries that do not call it football.

9. atlantefc

atlantefc Member

Jul 18, 2006
    F*dabig4neveryleague
    Club:
    Charlton Athletic FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Mexico
    The game is global though it isn't a wrong term either. But anyways.....

10. trevor_daniles

Aug 19, 2007
    I really like the way Atlanta Athletic sounds. Those two words look great next to one another. I'm sure the logo will be awesome. 2nd favorite is Atlanta Rising. 3rd choice would be Locomotive Atlanta (it sounds better with Locomotive in front).

All the names mentioned above can be even broken drown into other nicknames (thinks Revolution=Revs):
    1. The A's
    2. The Resurgents
    3. The Locos

It sounds like ATL has some options. Just hope it's not Firebirds or Phoenix.

11. Zxcv

Zxcv Member+

Feb 22, 2012
    I'm warming to Atlanta Phoenix. Still hoping for Atlanta Olympic SC/FC

12. Zxcv

Zxcv Member+

Feb 22, 2012
    If you call your club FC, it doesn't matter what the common term for the sport it, you've explicitly acknowledged that your club is called X Football Club.

13. Bisquick_in_da_MGM

Jul 26, 2013
    Club:
    Atlanta
    Global measurement is metric. Travel around your city for a month and only use metric. Most people will not know or only have a vague idea what your talking about. I like S.C. You like F.C. It's ok.

14. HogHoopFan

HogHoopFan Member

Feb 7, 2007
    Fayettnam
    I would really like Atlanta to be the 2nd phrase.

Something like...
    Resurgens Atlanta
    Terminus Atlanta

Similar to Inter Milan, but with a more interesting, more proper term. It could be an amazing combination.

15. Kappa74

Kappa74 Member+

Feb 2, 2010
    Seattle
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    I'm kind of partial to Atlanta Virgins FC, in deference to Atalanta. Though after 2017, they might want to find something a bit more durable.

16. USFootiefan1980

LAFC
    United States
    Aug 19, 2005
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Whaaaaaa?

17. Kappa74

Kappa74 Member+

Feb 2, 2010
    Seattle
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Okay, not funny joke explanation forthcoming. Atlanta, named after some dude's daughter who was named after the greek god Atalanta. A goddess who took a vow of celibacy. Come on folks, throw me a bone.

Cyclonis repped this.
  18. Boloni86

Boloni86 Member+

Jun 7, 2000
    Baltimore
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    Gibraltar
    Atlanta SCFCX

Someone's got to up the ante on these stupid acronyms.

Seriously if we insist on Europosing let's at least get it right. Nobody calls Barca Barcelona FC or BFC ... or Liverpool FC or LFC except maybe in written form to save some letters

Edit ... before anyone lists the obvious ... I know ... PSG, AC Milan, PSV, AZ, CSKA etc ... still stupid IMO for the US

19. song219

song219 BigSoccer Supporter

Apr 5, 2004
    La Norte
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    Vanuatu
    AFC2
    Atlanta Fulton County AFC :)

Boloni86 repped this.
  20. Bisquick_in_da_MGM

Jul 26, 2013
    Club:
    Atlanta
    I'm going Atl 50 Watt!

21. terrier

terrier Member

May 31, 2011
    Netherlands
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Really not into these reconstruction/the-south-shall-rise again names.

How about the thing most people know Atlanta for:

Atlanta Hartsfield International

...or the thing everything else in Atlanta is named:

Atlanta Peachtree

22. Bisquick_in_da_MGM

Jul 26, 2013
    Club:
    Atlanta
    Boo!

23. Boloni86

Boloni86 Member+

Jun 7, 2000