N. Korea and the World

Discussion in 'International News' started by Mr. Conspiracy, Apr 23, 2012.

1. Mr. Conspiracy

Mr. Conspiracy Member+

Apr 14, 2011
    Chicago
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Still have to wonder about the size that they could have gotten it down to. Even so, any nuke strike would be devastating on the pennisula. And given the tunnels they build, what is to say they don't tunnel under the DMZ, light off a nuke there close to the surface causing an instant gap in the front line, Or tunneling far enough along to get the nuke out into SK and drive it into Seoul?

And they have no shortage of artillery and missiles to fire so if they did light one off, and then let fly with all they have, they would cause immense damage to SK and the economy there as well as the morale of the country. What would China do? I am betting not much but you know the US would nuke NK back if they nuke SK. The reaction by China to that would be interesting as I am sure it would piss them off given the fallout would rain down in China. Of course imho I say screw the Chinese if NK nukes SK or US forces in SK.

There are only 2 futures that I can see at this time for NK. Either they go crazy and really nuke SK and start an all out war, or China has to intervene and put NK down like a rabid dog before that can happen. The only ones who can stop a war are the Chinese. That is if they want to.

2. Mr. Conspiracy

Mr. Conspiracy Member+

Apr 14, 2011
    Chicago
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Now if you want to go into a possible conspiracy, NK could be the puppet being played by China to occupy the US and the World while China works to force Taiwan back into the fold. Its a bit outlandish to think, but then China has been working hard to build their military, and they have been pushing hard into the South China Sea and other territorial disputes with Japan, Vietname and the PI so if the only force in the World that can deter them is stuck in a heavy fight in Korea it certainly frees up China to be more aggresive.

3. YankHibee

YankHibee Member+

Mar 28, 2005
    indianapolis
    I not completely convinced the U.S. would, depending on the size of the nuke. I think it's possible the U.S. would respond with several very large conventional warheads.

4. guignol

guignol Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 28, 2005
    mermoz-les-boss
    Club:
    Olympique Lyonnais
    Nat'l Team:
    France
    for china the DPRK provides, or at least suggests, an element of instability in the region. a mad dog whose leash they're on the right side of. north korea is not a puppet (or if it is, to quote xuan thuy, it's a very bad puppet!) and i think china has very little control over their posturing.

but a war is the last thing china wants. and if anything really serious, china would waste no time in punishing pyongyang severely. with extreme prejudice. i think that was probably made very clear a long time ago, with constant reminders.

besides, if china really wanted to roll up taiwan, they have a much better card to play: the trillions of dollars of trade deficit and US bonds they control. but i don't think they even care that much about taiwan anymore. they've outgrown it.

5. teammellieIRANfan

Feb 28, 2009
    Club:
    Perspolis
    Nat'l Team:
    Iran
    I dont think China is that much of an expanionist power. The territorial disputes are just that, disputes. And they are legitimate, that does not mean anything.

The great wall should reflect the mindset of the Chinese people.

6. JBigjake

JBigjake Member+

Nov 16, 2003
    I'm thinking courtside season tickets to both the Lakers & Clippers, and a lifetime pass to Disneyland for Kim the 3rd.

Mr. Conspiracy repped this.
  7. Alan S

Alan S Member

Jun 1, 2001
    Palo Alto, CA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm wondering if Kim Jung-Un increased belligerence is a sign that either he is losing control to the N. Korean military generals.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/wor...g-un-was-target-of-assassination-attempt.html

This article claims shooting was heard in downtown Pyongyang in early March and Kim Jung-Un might have been a target of an assassination attempt as part of a power struggle between different military generals.

One thing I'm convinced of he will not live to be 80+ years old as the leader of North Korea. That country will fall apart before then. He is under a huge amount of stress. The people that really run that country are the ones with the guns, the military generals. He either become there puppet, or eventually is removed in a coup.

8. Mr. Conspiracy

Mr. Conspiracy Member+

Apr 14, 2011
    Chicago
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Situation in NK is getting tense. Its one thing when NK runs off at the mouth and makes statements, but it seems like they are not letting up at all lately as if they are testing the waters to see how far they can take things.

9. Mr. Conspiracy

Mr. Conspiracy Member+

Apr 14, 2011
    Chicago
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    NK are certainly upping the ante in this war of words:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-asia-22045245

10. song219

song219 BigSoccer Supporter

Apr 5, 2004
    La Norte
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    Vanuatu
    I wouldn't be surprised if this is followed by demonstrations at and/or attacks on embassies. The DPRK press will portray this as the uncontrollable anger of independent patriotic Koreans. It would have the advantage of raising the tension level without the North Koreans having to use military force.

11. Mr. Conspiracy

Mr. Conspiracy Member+

Apr 14, 2011
    Chicago
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I understand the politics enough for Kim Jong Un to ratchet up the rhetoric to try and convince the miltary in NK that he is capable and in charge, but it seems to me that he is painting himself into a corner where he may have no choice but to take some military action like last years attack on the SK island. However if he does do that I expect a much stronger response from SK and things could escalate very quickly.

Now with 2 medium range missiles on launchers I wonder if they will "test" fire these over Japan and Guam? I think the US should issue a statement to NK before they launch that any missiles that violate Guam or Japanese Airspace will be considered and attack and an appropriate response will be made. I also think the US should attempt to shoot them down.

12. teammellieIRANfan

Feb 28, 2009
    Club:
    Perspolis
    Nat'l Team:
    Iran
    I never put much stock into this rise in tension of the conflict recently, because we've all been used to NK making bellicose statements without anything happening.
    But now it is followed up by a tit for tat action on both sides.

Recent news is that North Korea has advised all foreign embassies to evacuate.

Needs to be a greater effort to deescalate this whole thing, before it spins out of control.

13. JG

JG Member+

Jun 27, 1999
  14. Anthony

Anthony Member+

Chelsea
    United States
    Aug 20, 1999
    Chicago
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Though out all of this, why is no one asking the question of why US troops are still in Korea. The Cold War ended 20 years ago. South Korea is a free modern country with twice the population and 40 times the economy of the north. If we were not involved, the North might still be banging on about Japanese imperialism, but without superpower meddling, maybe the Koreas could solve the problems.

teammellieIRANfan repped this.
  15. Hachiko

Hachiko The Akita on Big Soccer

Jun 8, 2005
    Long Beach, CA
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    From my perspective, sheeesh, we're due for WWIII already. Let's get this over with. And watch as NK crumbles to the ground and is forced to reunited with the south forever. If this is what it's gonna take to get the two Koreas united, we're America, we can handle it.

16. Mr. Conspiracy

Mr. Conspiracy Member+

Apr 14, 2011
    Chicago
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    http://www.cnn.com/2013/04/09/world/asia/koreas-tensions/index.html?hpt=hp_t1

17. Master O

Master O Member+

Jul 7, 2006
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    If it really comes down to an open conflict between NK and the USA with SK, would China really want to give up lucrative trade with the West, merely to keep this erratic and irrational buffer state as an ally?

It sounds like a dangerous bet for China to make, given Kim Jong Un's temperament.

Unlike the 1950s, China has a lot to lose economically if this conflict happens and needs to put its foot down with NK. The sooner the better.

18. guignol

guignol Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 28, 2005
    mermoz-les-boss
    Club:
    Olympique Lyonnais
    Nat'l Team:
    France
    apparently, despite inststant threats from cute little babyfaced leader that war can break out within hours, no preparation, movements or state of alert of DPRK forces has been detected.

the detachment from reality of north korea's leaders is boggling. don't they realize that western intelligence has fairly good, if not perfect, vision of what they're doing at all times?

more likely this bravado isn't intended to impress seoul, tokyo or washington, it's purely for pyongyang consumption.

19. Hachiko

Jun 8, 2005
    Long Beach, CA
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Heh. Fatso doesn't realize that he will lose EVERYTHING if he decides to be cute and start WWIII.

20. Macsen

Macsen Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 5, 2007
    Orlando
    Club:
    Orlando City SC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It's like I've said earlier. They're not smart enough or sane enough to realize what they're getting themselves into if they attack.

Either that, or they're waiting for us to strike first. That's why I've suggested they may try a false flag attack.

Mr. Conspiracy and Hachiko repped this.
  21. Hachiko

Jun 8, 2005
    Long Beach, CA
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Obviously, we're not going to strike first. We're too smart to fall for that. We're daring for North Korea to lay the first blow. Molon Labe and all that.

22. Mr. Conspiracy

Mr. Conspiracy Member+

Apr 14, 2011
    Chicago
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Kerry is in Seoul and honestly I think he missed a great opprotunity to lay down the law to NK. He should have been strong in his statement and said that any launch of any missile will be considered an attack on SK and the US and we will respond accordingly.

23. Anthony

Anthony Member+

Chelsea
    United States
    Aug 20, 1999
    Chicago
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Why? This whole thing is silly. All that is going on is that the Norks need some food and money so they will make some noise. There will be a "deal" announced whereby the Norks will agree to give up their nukes in return for food and aid and in two years we go through his again. Wash rinse repeat.

And no one is asking the real question which is why we maintain troops in Korea 20 plus years after the Cold War ended when The South has twice the population and forty times the economy of the North.

GiuseppeSignori repped this.
  24. Mr. Conspiracy

Mr. Conspiracy Member+

Apr 14, 2011
    Chicago
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    [quote"Anthony, post: 27594058, member: 5538"]Why? This whole thing is silly. All that is going on is that the Norks need some food and money so they will make some noise. There will be a "deal" announced whereby the Norks will agree to give up their nukes in return for food and aid and in two years we go through his again. Wash rinse repeat.

And no one is asking the real question which is why we maintain troops in Korea 20 plus years after the Cold War ended when The South has twice the population and forty times the economy of the North.[/quote]
    The reason why has to do with whatever treaty was agreed to with so and the US

25. CeltTexan

CeltTexan Member+

Sep 21, 2000
    Houston, TX USA
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    All this will come down to Chinese support of the new Kim-Jong-Un.
    Or if he really is off his rocker that bad, as I stated before, anyone that spends $45 million on a birthday celebration but refuses to purchase Chinese grain to feed his starving people...any threats to another nation's people should be taken at face value.