News: Myanmar Football Thread

Discussion in 'Asian Football Confederation' started by yazadarit, Oct 14, 2008.

1. jonny63

jonny63 Member+

Feb 17, 2005
    Norway
    Any Myanmar team in Singapore Cup ?

2. Pelefan

Pelefan Member+

Mar 17, 1999
    Chicago
    Why were there no Myanmar clubs in the Singapore Cup this year? They invited 2 Philippine teams, a Laos club and a Cambodian club, but no Myanmar clubs. I thought that the Myanmar teams attracted a big crowd of Myanmar expatriates in Singapore in the past. It would have made sense for the organizers to invite them back because they sell a lot of tickets.

3. stellarboy

stellarboy Member

Jan 14, 2012
    Davao City
    Club:
    Fulham FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Philippines
    I heard the FAS received complaints of the rowdiness of the Kanbawza fans last year, especially with the incident where they flocked the hotel of their preliminary round opponent apparently for the other team to lose concentration. It forced the organizers to send police and FAS personnel to the hotel where the Loyola Meralco Sparks team stayed.

4. avocados

avocados Member

Oct 21, 2008
    Ah I see. If that's the case, it's reasonable not to invite Myanmar teams.

It's ok. But it'd be nice to see Yangon in Singapore Cup this season though.

@Yoma
    Thank you for your detailed analysis of the national team.

I noticed that Kyaw Ko Ko joined Yangon. That's cool. I know there were a lot of players out for the New Radiant game but too bad they couldn't get a draw. Two more games to go.

5. avocados

avocados Member

Oct 21, 2008
    Yangon United qualified for second round of AFC Cup in both the club's and MNL's sophomore AFC Cup campaign.

6. jonny63

jonny63 Member+

Feb 17, 2005
    Norway
    Upcoming friendlies for Myanmar NT ?

7. avocados

avocados Member

Oct 21, 2008
    Hi jonny,

I'm not sure. I haven't been reading up on news.

Myanmar played against Singapore and lost 0-2. I didn't see the game. I noticed some names I don't recognize (but I haven't been following Myanmar football because there isn't much coverage in English, and so they might be good players that I don't know of) in the line-up, but at the same time, I keep having the feeling that we played badly.

MNL now has Division 2 called MNL 2. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/MNL-2

I believe it's a professional league.

MFF is trying to develop a women's league. I'm not sure if it is a professional league.

Myanmar women's NT has qualified for Women's Asian Cup finals.

8. YomaTaung

YomaTaung Member

Nov 16, 2008
    Princeton, USA
    Avocados (& Jonny) - greetings. Maybe I can answer some of your questions.
    Myanmar, from what I gathered, played quite ok against Singapore. We gave away two quick goals early in the first half and had to play catch-up from then on. Very early in the 2nd half (47 min) we missed a penalty, but countered a lot most of the game. The national team was more experimental with Coach Hwa testing a number of players. As usual Kyi Lin played well and drew the praise of the new Singaporean coach (this kid's for real - can shoot with both feet). At the same time, Coach Hwa is running a U23 camp.
    MNL 2 is a semi-pro league, has a number of foreign players in each team.
    Don't fully know about the women's pro league - would be great. Kudos to women's NT for qualifying. We do have an outside chance to qualify for the World Cup as Asia has 5 slots. 1 is up for grabs (as S. Korea, Japan, China and Australia will qualify most certainly; N. Korea is banned). Myanmar, Thai, Vietnam and perhaps Jordan/Uzbek (still playing for qual) will fight for it. Since Vietnam is hosting I'd think they have the edge, but with the Myanmar girls I would not bet against them.

9. Maldives

Maldives Member

Feb 12, 2007
    Maldives
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    Any news on preparations for challenge cup 2014?

10. jonny63

jonny63 Member+

Feb 17, 2005
    Norway
    Myanmar Football Federation (MFF) has organised to play international friendly matches against Turkmenistan and Afgnanistan National Teams for Asian Challenge Cup 2014
    As a warm up preparation for AFC Challenge Cup 2014, MFF have officially requested to Turkmenistan and Afgnanistan football federation for international friendlies yesterday.
    Turkmenistan and Afgnanistan were not the opponents MFF first sought. Despite early organisation to play against Malaysia, the negotiation slipped through due to Malaysian players’ commitment to domestic league. The international friendly match will on 6 May 2014 in Yangon pending agreement from one of the football governing bodies.
    “Yesterday we have invited Turkmenistan and Afghanistan for friendly matches on 6 May in Yangon.

Myanmar FA Facebook

11. jonny63

jonny63 Member+

Feb 17, 2005
    Norway
    Avramovic, the Head Coach of Myanmar National Team, has today named the provisional squad of 25 players for 2014 AFC challenge Cup Competition. U Soe Myat Min (KBZ F.C), the former national team player and U Aung Kyaw Kyaw(Ayeyarwady United F.C), the former national team goalkeeper are both selected to assist the Head Coach as Assistant Coach and GK Coach respectively.
    The selected team players and two assistant coaches are to follow the training camp programme ,which is accommodated in Myanmar Football Federation Headquarter, at 12:00 a.m. on 23rd April, 2014.

Myanmar National Team Squad

Goalkeepers - Thiha Si Thu (Yadanarbon), Kyaw Zin Phyo (Magwe), Vanial Hruaia (Nay Pyi Taw), Yan Aung Lin (Hantharwady United)

Defenders - Aung Hein Kyaw (Zeyar Shwe Myay), Zaw Min Tun (Yadanarbon), Pyaye Phyo Aung (Yangon United), Aung Zaw (Yangon United), Ye Win Aung (Yadanarbon), Si Thu Aung (Yangon United), Thein Zaw (Zwekapin United), Aung Thike (Yangon United)

Midfielders - David Htan (Yangon United), Khin Maung Lwin (Yangon United), Yan Aung Kyaw (Yangon United), Yazar Win Thein (Yangon United), Min Min Thu (Ayeyarwady United), Nay Lin Tun (Ayeyarwady United), Kyaw Min Oo (Ayeyarwady United), Nyein Chan Aung (Manaw Myaw),
    Chit Su Moe (Chin United)

Strikers -
    Ye Aung (Southern Myanmar), Kaung Si Thu (Yadanarbon), Kyaw Ko Ko (Yangon United), Yan Paing (Yadanarbon)

12. avocados

avocados Member

Oct 21, 2008
    Both Myanmar clubs qualified for the round of 16 of the AFC Cup. Congratulations, Myanmar!

13. avocados

avocados Member

Oct 21, 2008
    Thank you, jonny. You are awesome. I guess this thread is quiet because we are all disappointed with Myanmar's past results or maybe we are busy. I'm just posting a little here and there.

Kyi Lin is left out due to injury. Malaysian Super League team Pahang, who are a major force in the MSL, inquired about him.

https://sg.sports.yahoo.com/news/exclusive-myanmar-wonderkid-kyi-lin-interested-play-malaysia-090000721.html

It's a pity he couldn't take part in Yangon United's AFC Cup campaign too.

Here's a clip of his performances.

14. jonny63

jonny63 Member+

Feb 17, 2005
    Norway
    How is the preparation for the National team when you got two teams in AFC Cup playing round of 16 matches on May 13 and 14 ?

15. avocados

avocados Member

Oct 21, 2008
    They will be playing friendlies in Thailand with Muang Thong on May 12, and Thailand Asian Games team on May 14. Right, I don't know what they would do with Yangon United's 9 national team selected players and Nay Pyi Taw's goalkeeper. I hope I can see the Thai bound team sheet. Perhaps the clubs had to release players.

16. jonny63

jonny63 Member+

Feb 17, 2005
    Norway
    Muang Thong 2-1 Myanmar

17. avocados

avocados Member

Oct 21, 2008
    Thank you, jonny. I saw Kyaw Ko Ko in the Yangon United's training photos on FB for their game on the 13th and I saw David Htan in Myanmar's group photo for Thailand, so I think they split the players. I hope it doesn't do much harm to both teams.

18. avocados

avocados Member

Oct 21, 2008
    There is a match report on Myanmar football federation's FB page. Maybe I could see the line up for both teams. I hope Muang Thong didn't feel total reserves so that Myanmar would get to practice. If you find any English language coverage, please let me know.

19. jonny63

jonny63 Member+

Feb 17, 2005
    Norway
    Persipura Jayapura 9-2 Yangon United !

20. avocados

avocados Member

Oct 21, 2008
    Haha. That's why we don't post anymore. Sometimes it happens, like Man U 8 - 2 Arsenal, Man City wins 6-0 to Man U and Johor also defeated Tampines 7-something in a friendly. But still it is very shameful. They have a long way to go.

21. jonny63

jonny63 Member+

Feb 17, 2005
    Norway
    Did thay have full team or are some players still in Thailand play friendly tomorrow ?

22. avocados

avocados Member

Oct 21, 2008
    Not full squad because David Htan was in the Thai bound team. He usually starts for Yangon. I think Yangon needs better goalkeeping and defense. They already leaked a lot of goals in the group stage. I can't read the team sheet. I'll look at the Goal.com's report and let you know.

23. avocados

avocados Member

Oct 21, 2008
    Were a couple of goals by Persipura offside? If so, it would be like 7-2, which is not bad, hahaha. Man U defeated Roma 7-1. The coach said something about the loss, I'll read next time. The fans are angry and won't take excuses.

24. jonny63

jonny63 Member+

Feb 17, 2005
    Norway
    Thailand (U23) 1-0 Myanmar

25. avocados

avocados Member

Oct 21, 2008
    #1050 avocados, May 14, 2014
    Last edited: May 14, 2014
    Thank you, jonny.

http://www.the-afc.com/en/afc-cup-a...r16-persipura-jayapura-9-2-yangon-united.html

As the match report states, it seems like 2 or 3 goals by Persipura were offside. I haven't had time to watch the goals but a foreign coach who coached both the Myanmar national team and one of the clubs in Myanmar also wrote on FB that there were offside goals. So it's like 7-2 or 6-2, which are not too bad results as there were other teams in ASEAN who had gotten thrashed in the past as well, as the match report states. But still, it shows that Myanmar's standard is still far from the best in ASEAN. I hope one day we can have a club like Persipura or Buriram. I'm very interested in how Persipura would fare against Kitchee.

It seems like Nay Pyi Taw, who lost 5-0 to Hanoi T&T, have a better unit than Yangon as they were at least able to attack.
    http://www.the-afc.com/en/afc-cup-all-news/28544-afc-cup-r16-hanoi-t-t-5-0-nay-pyi-taw.html

But inferior individual skills and lack of top level experience probably killed them. Perhaps Persipura is better than Hanoi, I'm not sure. But Nay Pyi Taw's performance doesn't matter as most of the national players are in Yangon, so it spells trouble for Myanmar's chances for AFC Challenge Cup.

I don't know if MNL having a long break at this time is good for the players as they might be less sharp too.