My Whistle Collection

Discussion in 'Referee' started by KansasFIFA, Jun 14, 2010.

1. campbed

campbed Member

Oct 13, 2006
    New Hampshire, USA
    I have a Rakuten account (and freight forwarder) for something else work related.

These seem to be primarily for Handball (that strange Basketball type sport you only see on the Olympics) referees.

Wahoos1, would you buy the red/black one again, do you use it often? If it is louder than the Sonic Blast, I'm not sure I'd even use it, the Sonic is almost TOO loud for regular use.

$18 pre freight forwarder cost is pretty cheap to try it out though.

2. Wahoos1

Wahoos1 Member

Oct 31, 2004
    It is a good tournament whistle. Distinct sound. yes loud, but easily modulated. When I give my loud kickoff tweet I actually turn it upside down so the chambers face the ground. And with all but my hammerhead whistle I will put the whistle to my mouth and actually put my hand under my nose, palm flat to the ground to kill some of the noise to my ears.

3. RichM

RichM Member

Barcelona
    United States
    Nov 18, 2009
    Meridian, ID
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Takagi Sports (who sells the whistle through the Rakuten site) won't ship internationally, so you can't order direct...bummer.

I have an old schoolmate from HS in Japan, maybe he could buy it and send it to me.

4. socal lurker

socal lurker Member+

May 30, 2009
    I really need show my wife this thread so that she can see that I'm actually pretty low-maintenance about this reffing stuff and not the ultimate ref geek :D

5. techguy9707

techguy9707 Member

Nov 23, 2011
    Antelope, CA
    I am not sure it will have the desired effect... I know it would fail at my house. No matter how much "cricut stuff" she needs, my "soccer toys" are always "not needed and useless wastes of time".

6. Wahoos1

Wahoos1 Member

Oct 31, 2004
    Well, I am the lucky one then. With 5 kids and 6 grandkids and pretty much every tool on the planet in the workshop and toy in the man cave, options for birthday and Christmas gifts are lean. So they spend hours looking for new whistles. And everytime I am stoked. My handmade brass Japanese Noda whistle made for Mexico world cup is ALWAYS on my ring. So small and so loud and so cool. Everything else gets swtiched.

7. ref29

ref29 Member

Nov 8, 2010
    Is the Valkeen whistle currently available in North America?

8. campbed

campbed Member

Oct 13, 2006
    New Hampshire, USA
    I have a Valkeen (well had until this week when my puppy ate some of it).

It is not worth $60.

Ok whistle, ok sound, ok volume, ok hand feel, not overly different in sound/pitch from other whistles on the pitches next to you.

YMMV.

9. La Rikardo

La Rikardo Moderator

May 9, 2011
    nj
    Can't wait to use this bad boy.
    [​IMG]

JimEWrld repped this.
  10. fairplayforlife

fairplayforlife Member+

Mar 23, 2011
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Its pretty nice but I still can't get over telling people how much it costs.

There is a similarly expensive whistle at refsworld.com. Not sure how it differs.

11. La Rikardo

La Rikardo Moderator

May 9, 2011
    nj
    Buddy of mine went to Japan recently and brought back Valkeens for referees who wanted one. Got mine for about half of what I would've paid online.

12. SA14mars

SA14mars Member+

Jan 3, 2005
    Dallas
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Sure it is!

But why does it keep telling me "all your base are belong to us"?

Quad237 and jayhonk repped this.
  13. chwmy

chwmy Member+

Feb 27, 2010
    The valkeen is pricey, but I love the way it handles, especially with the excellent finger grips it comes with. Plus, it is easier to modulate than the sonik blast, which is super loud and super easy to blow.

14. fairplayforlife

fairplayforlife Member+

Mar 23, 2011
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    index.png

15. R.U. Kiddingme

Nov 30, 2012
    iowa
    Wow! 7 pages on comparing the effectiveness of each others whistles...
    Could it be that there are some "compensation" issues going on here.:p
    Just kidding, would be a neat psychological study to find out why we have chosen a whistle to command respect and authority, and the history thereof.
    Maybe there's a Gary Larson cartoon out there of the 1st caveman soccer referee.

16. NW Referee

NW Referee Member

Jun 25, 2008
    Washington
    Depends upon where you live or travel to. Team Handball is commonly seen on TV in Europe and in Asia. :)

17. BlackBart

BlackBart Member

Mar 22, 2011
    You could be right about the compensation issue. I have a whistle from a box of Crackerjacks that works just fine.

18. jayhonk

jayhonk Member+

Oct 9, 2007
    And now you have to brag about it....
    jk

BlackBart repped this.
  19. ex-ref

ex-ref New Member

Apr 24, 2014
    Hungary, Europe
    I see this toppic is quite abandoned since 2011., but I guess it ain't useless if I share my own experiences about my whistles.
    I had start officiating in 1995., that time in Hungary the ref equipment was a hard question. At first, there was no ref-shop, or even something similar, and internet wasn't as wide-spread as nowadays, so we got our whistles mainly from abroad. As AR, we mainly used home-made flags.

I have started with the vintage plastic Acme Thunderer 558 of my grandpa.
    A few weeks later I saw a funny-shaped whistle in a striped package, and I decided to give that a chance on the pitch. That was the FOX40 Classic. I was suprised how shrill, and loud that was, and decided to get a Mini too. Certainly there wasn't a piece all around my home area, but I wanted a Mini anyway. So, I wrote a letter to the FOX40 (sure, with pen, on paper :)). As a reply, I recieved a nice mail from Mrs. Caroline Foxcroft, she recommended me using the classic while officiating. The envelop also included 4 Classic, and 2 Mini whistles, as a gift. You can't imagine, what that meant to me that time. :)

I was 100% satisfied with the F40 classic for many years. Later I could by a pair of Balilla (metall and plastic), some Acme 660, and I begun to collect these nice gadgets. All of my friends relatives knew, that I want nothing, but whistles as a present.

On the pitch, I'd tried large varieties of using whistles, I mean lanyards, keyrings, etc.

Finally two methods remained in use, the first, and favourite was two coupled whistles (a Classic as primary and a plastic Balilla Tipo2), as it was the most comfortable in use, with a good grip to carry, and an easy way to change hands if signalling was required. During administration, I could hold the whistles between three fingers (the rings at the palm side, the whistles at the back-hand side), this way they had not bothered me in writing, but I had the instant access to them.
    The second one was the finger lanyard (previously a flexy-coil over my palm, but that was stolen) over middle- and third finger, and a Classic CMG. I used this in cold weather, or over gloves, if I didn't trust my grip.
    I have tried also the ACME Tornado 2000 (that's too big to me, I felt it hard-to-use), the Cyclone (too low-pitched), but finally I always kept the Classic as first choice, and the Balilla as substitute in tournaments with more fields around.
    I could never get used to use metall whistles on the pitch, they were harming my mouth if must be suddenly blown in a tricky situation, or right after rushing (penalty calls, etc.).

I have finished officiating before the Eclipse, the Sonik, or the Molten whistles had arrived, so I got no real experiences with them.
    Eventhough I am not an active ref for almost 10 years (my profession does not allow this hobby, and playing soccer causes less stress :)), I continued to collect these beauties.

20. Chas (Psyatika)

Oct 6, 2005
    USA
    Club:
    Crystal Palace FC
    Fantastic read! Unfortunately, my whistle story is far more boring; 4 Sonik Blasts, in Pink, Blue, Purple, and Teal, attached to each other in pairs, with a spare Dolfin attached to a Fox 40 Classic in my bag. All the others are in the trash.

I'm far more proud of my badge collection: 9 governing bodies, 5 countries, a FIFA AR badge (a real one!), and counting!

ex-ref repped this.
  21. That Cherokee

That Cherokee Member

Mar 11, 2014
    Stillwater, Oklahoma
    Valkeen is my favorite. Given to me as a gift, but for under $50 now, it's pretty good deal.
    My back up is a fox 40 and acme tornado ringed together.

22. Scrabbleship

Scrabbleship Member

May 24, 2012
    Are you a salesman for Soccer Superstore USA? At least two posts from you I've seen now within as many days linking to their store.

23. AremRed

AremRed Member+

Sep 23, 2013
    So? He probably buys most of his stuff there, and it would make sense that he links to the site he uses. Considering their price of the Valkeen is about $10-15 cheaper that I've seen anywhere else, I am sure someone will be grateful.

That Cherokee repped this.
  24. Bubba Atlanta

Bubba Atlanta Member+

Mar 2, 2012
    Yep, Atlanta
    Club:
    Atlanta United FC
    I'm sure I've linked to Amazon more times than that recently. (I receive no remuneration from Amazon, except when I send something back for a refund.)