My Whistle Collection

Discussion in 'Referee' started by KansasFIFA, Jun 14, 2010.

1. IllinoisRef

IllinoisRef Member

Jul 6, 2011
    Club:
    Flamengo Rio Janeiro
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    Have you got it yet? If so. What did you think? I want to order me one.

2. Scrabbleship

Scrabbleship Member

May 24, 2012
    Not yet. It's coming from Australia, and Canada Post sucks so it'll probably take a couple weeks. Hoping to have them before a tournament I'm doing this weekend. You'll chums on here will be the first to know though.

3. AlsoRan

AlsoRan Member

Aug 17, 2005
    I have one. Stylishly, it looks really good. It feels good in hand. But it requires a stronger blow than any other whistle I own.

4. La Rikardo

La Rikardo Moderator

May 9, 2011
    nj
    I just bought the Fox 40 Eclipse. Haven't gotten to use it in a game yet, but just blowing it outside it seems to be a lot weaker than the Classic. We'll see how it performs in game.

5. Elite-Referee

Elite-Referee New Member

Sep 25, 2012
    Finland
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    Finland
    My Collection:

4x F40 Classic Black
    1x F40 Classic Neon, Red, Grey, White, Orange (5)
    1x F40 Classic CMG Black, Blue, Red (3)
    2x F40 Mini CMG Black
    1x F40 Mini Blue, Green (2)
    1x F40 Pearl fingergrip
    1x F40 Sonic Blast CMG Blue
    2x Molten Dolphin Black
    1x Molten Dolphin Yellow
    1x Acme T2000 Black
    1x Acme Cyclone 888 Black
    3x Acme T623

+ So many pea-whistles..

6. JimEWrld

JimEWrld Member

Jun 20, 2012
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Just picked up a couple of Soniks. I'm liking them so far, though I killed my ears yesterday at the kick-off.

7. Bubba Atlanta

Bubba Atlanta Member+

Mar 2, 2012
    Yep, Atlanta
    Club:
    Atlanta United FC
    Try to be careful not to blow it hard right next to some player's head (unless they're doing something you really want them to stop doing).

8. Errol V

Errol V Member+

Mar 30, 2011
    I have a couple of these, and they are always in my bag, but the pitch is just to low for me. I remain a Classic user.

9. RichM

RichM Member

Barcelona
    United States
    Nov 18, 2009
    Meridian, ID
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Too low? My Sonik Blasts are definitely higher pitched than my Fox 40 Classics.

BlackBart, Nestapele and jayhonk repped this.
  10. campbed

campbed Member

Oct 13, 2006
    New Hampshire, USA
    I love the Sonik, but only as my "I'm not happy" whistle. I pair it on a keyring with my regular whistle, and only use the Sonik when a card of either color is about to appear, or there is a confrontation I want to breakup.

IT IS LOUD. Too loud for regular use in my opinion.

11. socal lurker

socal lurker Member+

May 30, 2009
    How many people use whistles for different purposes in the same game? While I keep two different ones together, I've always done it in case I want to change because there is the same whistle on a nearby field (and, for me, the second whistle makes a nice balance for holding it). But I always stay with the one whistle, though I've heard some, like Campbed, who have an "I'm mad" whistle (which I've neve thought necessary as I've always thought I could "talk" enough with one whistle), and at least one ref who uses a different whistle for KOs (whcih never made sense to me). Curious about who uses more than one whistle in the same game and why.

12. jayhonk

jayhonk Member+

Oct 9, 2007
    A young guy I know, who is always up on the latest, puts one finger across one of the slots on his Fox 40 for run of the mill whistles. It sounds kind of weak and pitiful. When needed, the finger comes off and it blows full force.
    (He probably picked this up at Regionals.)

13. JimEWrld

JimEWrld Member

Jun 20, 2012
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    social, same as you. I keep the sonik with another back up whistle in case we are having whistle conflicts. Haven't had an issue yet, the players usually recognize which whistle is mine..

14. Errol V

Errol V Member+

Mar 30, 2011
    On my guitar tuner my Sonik Blast is a G#, and my Classics are the B flat above that.

15. Dayton Ref

Dayton Ref Member+

May 3, 2012
    Houston, TX
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    I believe you intended to place this in the nerd thread. Granted, I could ask my wife to use her tuner to get the notes on my whistles.

16. RichM

RichM Member

Barcelona
    United States
    Nov 18, 2009
    Meridian, ID
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Maybe it's defective?

17. RichP

RichP New Member

Nov 10, 2005
    So Cal Inland Empire
    This is the nerd thread.

I agree with those who think Sonik Blast (120dB+)* is too much for most matches, at least if those matches span a variety of youth games. For most of these, I've gone down from a Fox40 Classic (115dB) to a Fox40 Mini (110dB). I love the feel (in the hand) and sound of this whistle, and it does not conflict with neighboring fields, and when I need to make a point, it's definitely enough for most matches. The Fox40 Classic is still excellent, but most are blowing it.

That said, I did a u16b match with the Sonik Blast, and that was definitely a proper whistle to (mostly) keep those guys in line.

I am in the process of augmenting my Acme collection. The bent Tornado is very good in my experience.

REF EAR SAFETY:

* As we should all know, repeated use of loud whistles is bad for one's hearing. This is especially true if it is the same whistle, and therefor the same frequencies, all the time. Switch your whistles from game to game.

* Restrict the use of the master blasters to when they are really needed.

* Refrain from long blasts except when necessary. Short blasts with sharp attack and sharp cutoff not only limit the total sonic energy, they spread the frequencies out. This comes from the math of the Fourier integral. (Math/scientist/engineering types should be able to explain this to you, and musicians know this implicitly if not explicitly.)

* Fox40 spl ratings

18. RichM

RichM Member

Barcelona
    United States
    Nov 18, 2009
    Meridian, ID
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I stand corrected.. just tried mine at home and the Sonik Blast is indeed a few half steps lower. It must be the volume difference that makes it seem higher in my memory?

Using a completely unscientific free Android app:

Hammerhead Mighty w/ Pea and Pealess were both around 2500Hz
    Fox 40 Pearl was around 2600Hz
    ACME Tornado was around 2900Hz
    Fox 40 Sonik Blast was around 3200Hz
    Fox 40 Classic was around 3600Hz

19. Errol V

Errol V Member+

Mar 30, 2011
    I am vindicated. I knew the Classic had the highest pitch. I have a couple of Pearls - ugh, way too low. They sound like a foghorn.

20. socal lurker

socal lurker Member+

May 30, 2009
    I don't like mine much either -- but I always bring it to places with multiple fields to have a distinctive whistle.

21. Cobras7

Cobras7 Member

Oct 30, 2012
    Northern California, USA
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Reffed a U11 Boys game today with my new write-on cards and a brand spanking new FOX40 Classic. My ARs, both aren't very experienced and never ref ages over U11, thought my whistle has broken. I guess I should lay on it more? I like it but it doesn't always blow the way I want. But I hate my pea whistle! Any tips on getting the strong, piercing sound more easily? I only had trouble with it about 2 times and still the play stopped, it just wasn't the best sound.o_O

22. socal lurker

socal lurker Member+

May 30, 2009

Silly though it may sound, the answer really is practice. The 40 needs a burst of air, but as you play with it, it will sound better -- you want the three separate chambers working together. (Go to the how to be a referee sticky thread, and there are a few recent links about how to blow the whistle.)

Being too timid with the whistle -- whatever whistle being used -- is a very common trait that new referees need to overcome.

23. Bubba Atlanta

Bubba Atlanta Member+

Mar 2, 2012
    Yep, Atlanta
    Club:
    Atlanta United FC
    Nobody has ever failed to hear my Sonik.

BlackBart and Nestapele repped this.
  24. Cobras7

Cobras7 Member

Oct 30, 2012
    Northern California, USA
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    They all heard it, it just sounded more 50% air and 50% whistle. Not 100% whistle!!

25. Bubba Atlanta

Bubba Atlanta Member+

Mar 2, 2012
    Yep, Atlanta
    Club:
    Atlanta United FC
    Don't blow through your nose too, just through your mouth. :p