My first year coaching thread

Discussion in 'Coach' started by pething101, Aug 5, 2002.

1. CG

CG Member

Jul 25, 2001

Happens to me all the time. The other day we played an end zone game where you had to pass into the end zone to get a point and then you kept possession and went the opposite direction. You'd have thought I asked them to translate the Koran into Russian. It was basically make it-take it with switching directions.

2. pething101

pething101 Member

Jul 31, 2001
    Smyrna, Ga
    Club:
    West Ham United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    First scrimage of the year.

Observations:

Riding home on a bus ful of 15 year old girls is not fun, esp when they are singing teeny bopper crap...

we have no seniors ... I did not know this till tonight ...

we played better than I expected. Lost 2-1. Thier second goal was freakish but they all count...

we have one player that is great. I mean, she stands out by far. She also got hacked to death and I almost got kicked out by the ref for complaining ...

the ref was drunk according to the head coach ...

we are young but athletic and tenacious.

Could be an interesting year.

3. pething101

pething101 Member

Jul 31, 2001
    Smyrna, Ga
    Club:
    West Ham United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Also,

we have a keeper ... she is very good. Trained with the Revs, lived in Germany and Japan. Actually plays year round.

Problem is, where to play her.

For around here, she has some good ball skills. Paired her with our third decent player in the mid field during the second quarter. Put our "star" player up top and we looked very good. THe two mids combined well and we got our one goal.

But our other keeper is going to end up being a 9th grader if we do this. And she could be on the losing end of some big number games ... matches where the first string keeper might keep close.

A quandry to say the least.

4. boydreilly

boydreilly New Member

Jun 15, 2001
    If she is a keeper, play her as a keeper. Granted, what she does best for the team is in your best interest, it is better she play the position she wants to play.

Also, I'd put your star player in the center mid spot, especially if that is her position. If she is that good, she needs to learn how to control the play and, also, help elevate the play of the team.

You didn't speak of her leadership abilities. But, good players don't just play the game, they need to bring the team up to. Other players know who the top player is and they follow. Use that to your advantage. Speak to her about what being a leader is all about.

5. pething101

pething101 Member

Jul 31, 2001
    Smyrna, Ga
    Club:
    West Ham United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Interesting.

I think she wants to play in the field. If I had my way, I am the JV coach, I think I would play her in mid and let someone else be between the pipes.

The head coach thinks differently than I.

6. Elroy

Elroy New Member

Jul 26, 2001
    Again?

7. Elroy

Elroy New Member

Jul 26, 2001
    Player positions.

I don't know your team well enough to make such specific reccomendations. But, in general, it is a good idea to play people where they want to play. Happy players seem to play better. So:

1. Intensify the training of all your GK's. If you don't have one, get a GK coach and integrate the keepers into your regular practices. If your best player doesn't really want to play in goal on your team, rotate her with the freshman until you have more confidence in the younger player. Then, if you need the starter on the field you can make that change with more confidence.

2. Improve your defense in front of the goal. Teach your defenders to deny shots on goal and to keep possession when they gain it. If your team plays better defense and possession, they will not have to rely so heavily on the goal keeper.

3. If your star player is a scorer, for heaven's sake leave her there. Natural scorers are very hard to find. If you have one, her best use is to finish your chances. You can always train a ball control midfielder or defender, but true scorers are born - not trained. If it's going to take awhile to gain midfield control, you can change to a formation that adds to midfield strength. There is nothing unfair about asking your scorer to carry a little more of the scoring responsibility.

8. pething101

pething101 Member

Jul 31, 2001
    Smyrna, Ga
    Club:
    West Ham United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Same coach.

9. Elroy

Elroy New Member

Jul 26, 2001
    Bummer!

10. pething101

pething101 Member

Jul 31, 2001
    Smyrna, Ga
    Club:
    West Ham United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    You have no idea.

11. CG

CG Member

Jul 25, 2001
    It's never good when you don't see eye to eye with your coaching counterparts. It has happened to me twice but now I'm in a great situation.

12. pething101

pething101 Member

Jul 31, 2001
    Smyrna, Ga
    Club:
    West Ham United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    First non conference game.

JV lost 3-1. We scored first but gave up the equalizer in the next 3 minutes.

Two of thier three were cheap. Looked lke our keeper got kicked twice. Oh well.

Played with just 11. I was amazed that they played the entire 70 without running out of gas.

A couple of ladies stood out. I was pleased.

Varsity was butt ugly. a 7-1 thumping.

Ugly.

13. pething101

pething101 Member

Jul 31, 2001
    Smyrna, Ga
    Club:
    West Ham United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Question.

How many games is too many games?

We had a match yesterday. One on thursday, friday, next monday, next wed, next thurs and three more the next week.

All non conference.

Is this too much?

14. boydreilly

boydreilly New Member

Jun 15, 2001
    I won't say an occasional 3 game week is bad, but when are you supposed to practice? Do practice on weekends?

I think the right amount is about 2 a week. Even then, an occasional break of one in a week is good.

15. Lloyd Heilbrunn

Lloyd Heilbrunn Member+

Feb 11, 2002
    Jupiter, Fl.
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Three games per week has been standard for local HS for over 20 years:(!!

I don't even think we could set less with the preset district and conference requirements.Of course,it is insane but they don't care,it is more important to slot soccer in the time frame which the State mandates.......

So same coach for both boys' and girls' programs?? Could not happen here,season is at the same time.

Did you ever sit down after the boys' season to discuss your different Philosophy???

16. boydreilly

boydreilly New Member

Jun 15, 2001
    I think it must different in your. I've lived in CA and VA and it was always games on Tuesday and Friday. Never heard of three games in a week except for playoffs.

17. Elroy

Elroy New Member

Jul 26, 2001
    In Ohio, it's a mixed schedule. We play 16 matches in approximately seven weeks. In practice, this translates to some weeks with three matches and some with two. Tournament is scheduled at two matches per week.

18. boydreilly

boydreilly New Member

Jun 15, 2001
    The tourneys in VA can end up being a game a day - assuming you're winning.

19. pething101

pething101 Member

Jul 31, 2001
    Smyrna, Ga
    Club:
    West Ham United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I dont think i would mind three conference games a week.

I just dont like three non conference games a week.

Anyway, it is not my call but mother nature must agree with me because today is a rain out.

20. IASocFan

IASocFan Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 13, 2000
    IOWA
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Couple of comments.
    - In Iowa, most high schools play twice a week (M-F). Occasionally, there are mini tournaments on Saturdays.

- On rec teams, I also liked to use two keepers, and play them in the field when they aren't tending the goal. This always gives you a fresh field player for the second half, and gives the players experience at multiple positions.

Most of the good local teams (club and high school) have keepers identified, and don't normally play them in the field. Smaller schools may have the varsity keeper play field for JV, and viceversa for the JV keeper.

21. CG

CG Member

Jul 25, 2001

In Alabama in HS, you can't play a JV & V game in the same day(if that's what you're saying).

22. IASocFan

IASocFan Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 13, 2000
    IOWA
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    In Iowa, you can't play more than 3 halves per day, so the JV players can get some varsity time.

23. pething101

pething101 Member

Jul 31, 2001
    Smyrna, Ga
    Club:
    West Ham United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Two straight matches rained out.

Guess they will have to be made up sometime. Like things could not get any more congested.

24. pething101

pething101 Member

Jul 31, 2001
    Smyrna, Ga
    Club:
    West Ham United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Match last night.

Three players out from original 11. So I am down to 8. Head Coach gives me one girl. So I start with 9.

We are down 6-0 at the half. He gives me another girl. Played the second half with 10.

Lost second half, 2-1. I was fuming.

He played his game. He had 6 subs. They lost 6-5.

Going to go some defensive principles today.

Staying goal side.
    Applying pressure
    Pushing outside.

Also, going to try to switch to a 3-5-2.

A lot to learn but first conference game is March 13.

25. IASocFan

IASocFan Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 13, 2000
    IOWA
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    You might also work with a 3-4-1. ;)