My first year coaching thread

Discussion in 'Coach' started by pething101, Aug 5, 2002.

1. Elroy

Elroy New Member

Jul 26, 2001
    That's the tough part of the job - allowing players to move on. Still, it should be a source of great satisfaction that you had a role in his success.

As to the job change. We need our best coaches at the developmental level. If you get promoted, make sure you get a good replacement for you.

Sounds like your success has helped your recruiting - keep up the good work.

2. pething101

pething101 Member

Jul 31, 2001
    Smyrna, Ga
    Club:
    West Ham United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I wish I could say I had a role in his success but he was pretty good when I got him, I was surprised when the head coach allowed him to play JV to begin with even though he is in the 9th grade.

Still, I have seen some inmprovment in my other kids which makes me happy. If I can get a couple to some summer camps over the next couple of years, I think there are some scholarships waiting for them.

3. boydreilly

boydreilly New Member

Jun 15, 2001
    If he is in the 9th grade is it really in the kid's best interest to move up? Granted his skills may be up with the older kids; wouldn't it be better for the kid to develop some leadership skills first? And maybe the kid will lose confidence when he goes up against bigger kids.

Obviously, I don't know the kid. But, I think these things need to be considered before he moves up. And you, as a JV coach, should be able to put your foot down if you don't think he should move up yet.

4. pething101

pething101 Member

Jul 31, 2001
    Smyrna, Ga
    Club:
    West Ham United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    In this situtation, I dont think I have too much say in the matter. The varsity coach has already taken the sweeper mentioned previously in this thread.

5. Xscape

Xscape New Member

Aug 26, 2002
    North Carolina
    First, the varsity coach is the head of the program and pething101 is the assistant coach. In charge of JV, but still the head coach's assistant.
    No offense to you pething101. I just think some of this advice doesn't take into account the reality of the situation. I don't think I need to tell you what an awkward position you are in. But I don't think everyone here understands that.

Another thing is, it's not so cut and dried, black and white, or whatever, that the varsity coach is so bad. Pething is there, but from the outside this school (Smith) has always done fairly well in soccer, in spite of the fact that it is, as pething said, kind of an inner city school. I know that we (at the middle school) play their feeder middle school every year and they are a joke. So considering the talent they have coming in they are doing pretty well.

Anyway, keep telling us about the progress, and the story of the season. That's what is fascinating to me about this thread. And good luck against Terry Sanford.

6. boydreilly

boydreilly New Member

Jun 15, 2001
    Not all JV programs are the same. In many programs they actually give the JV coach some authority over decisions being made. When I was in school, the varsity coach would request a player be sent up. He wouldn't just take a player whether the JV coach wanted him to or not.

7. blech

blech Member+

Jun 24, 2002
    California
    I'm guessing the use of word "many" here is relatively small percentagewise. The head coach of the varsity program typically gets to pick the best kids for his/her team, and to alter those decisions as the season goes on if kids on JV are improving (or were simply misjudged in the first place) or visa versa for kids on varsity. That's how it was for me when I played hs ball 20+ years ago, and when I coached at that level. And, in my opinion, that how it should be.

Please don't misunderstand me. A wise Varsity coach is going to solicit the input of the JV coach in making the decision. And, if the JV coach had good reasons for suggesting that a kid not move up, the coach might defer to the JV coach. But, kind of by definition, the JV team is there to support the Varsity. Certainly the roll is to develop players. And, if the head coach thinks this one is ready, the player can be brought up anytime. Period. (And, although perhaps they don't think about it correctly, but that is what most kids are going to want - say, being the last guy on the Varsity, rather than the star of the JV).

Bottom line, I don't think you should put your foot down. You are right not to make any demands. But, keep an eye on the situation. We had a 9th grader who played on the Varsity one season. He was athletically able, and it worked out fine. But, there are any number of issues that could still crop up, from how the kid is developing competing against older players, how he is being treated by his teammates, how much playing time he is getting, etc. If after a few games/weeks/etc you think the kid may be better off coming back to JV, explain your reasoning to the coach, but make sure the decision is being made in the best interest of the kid, not the JV, and accept the head coach's decision, even if you disagree with it.

8. pething101

pething101 Member

Jul 31, 2001
    Smyrna, Ga
    Club:
    West Ham United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I would not say that the varsity coach is a bad coach. I think we do some different things as far as player management go. Smith has done pretty well considering what they have to work with and he is the sole reason for that. He certainly knows more about soccer than I do.

Monday againt Terry Sanford will be ugly both at the JV and Varsity level.

9. pething101

pething101 Member

Jul 31, 2001
    Smyrna, Ga
    Club:
    West Ham United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Caoch asked me today about my #10.

I told him that I thought he could handle the on field aspect of playing at the varsity level. I also told him that I dont want him on Varsity b/c it would expose him to some players on that team that have a very negative attitude.

I think he is gone. Time to try to figure out how to replace him.

10. bungadiri

bungadiri Super Moderator
    Staff Member

Jan 25, 2002
    Acnestia
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    This sounds right to me. Plus, letting people move on when they're ready is important to keeping that talent moving into the pipeline. If you develop the rep. of trying to hold onto kids even though they're ready to move, that could be a problem in the future.

Good luck playing your alma mater.

11. Reality_Al

Reality_Al New Member

Aug 23, 2002
    JV and Varsity

Having coached both, and currently being the Varsity Coach of Girls, I was treated well as the JVarsity Coach. That's the way I presented it to the girls. We weren't in a jv vs Varsity rivalry. We were the JVarsity, which meant we should be ready and willing to movew up, but continue to work hard for the good of the team, for the good of the School program. You have to prioritize!
    It was not always easy looking at the jv field and seeing 9 or 10 girls trying to play an 11 v 11 game 'on-the-fly' meaning that we started with 14, but the varsity coach needed them for the next game, and here we were, and remember, in our division it's max 32 haves per season, so play a jVarsity minute and it costs you a Varsity half.

But it comes down to why we coach- we love the game, and the process of the playing. The winning is a bonus! Not the primary focus.

In response to Elizabeth: As I said to Elroy, I applaud the difference, and coach to it. Do we scrimmage the HS BOYS? NO!!! What I have seen learned in that environment is usually perceived as patronizing, rightly or wrongly, and these young ladies don't need it. Moreover, the 'gentlemen' stop being gentle, and try to use physical intimidation when they start to get beat. To say,"Oh soccer is a contact sport." and imply that it is OK misses the point. "First to ball" is different than "knock her off the run to ball, then get the ball!"

But, back to reality. We GOT hammered in our last game. What a fiasco! 0-5. Get this... we arrive on time per our AD, but the refs say, "Get your girls on the pitch.Play soccer." I told them we just got here after being told to move the bus ten minutes from where we arrived, then being told to use another gate, that was locked, then being told that we should never have used that gate.Finding some who would unlock ... well blah blah blah. You don't want to hear it, but here's what I like to hear about. How long and how important is the pregame warm-up! My girls seem lost with anything less than 20 minutes. After that, they play excellent.

12. pething101

pething101 Member

Jul 31, 2001
    Smyrna, Ga
    Club:
    West Ham United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Pointy ball result ... EE Smith 34-71st 0.

On a side note, the two soccer players that kick field goals for the football team did not perform well.

13. pething101

pething101 Member

Jul 31, 2001
    Smyrna, Ga
    Club:
    West Ham United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    E.E. Smith pep rally.

Introduce the fall teams. Varsity football gets individual names called as they walk out. JV football walks out alone.

Both soccer teams come out together. No individual intro's. Not even for seniors. Ah well.

For a second, I thought I was at Grambling or Southern ... the damn band is awesome. Two things this school takes seriously ... football and the marching band and I am not sure which is more important.

14. bungadiri

Staff Member

Jan 25, 2002
    Acnestia
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It was ever thus. Smith always had the best band (esp. drum major) and cheers in Fayette-nam.

15. efernandez9

efernandez9 Member

Jun 6, 1999
    Joe Pool Lake
    my first time after 2 yr hiatus

coaching 6-7yr olds, any advice

YmCa system

16. soccernutter

soccernutter Moderator
    Staff Member

Tottenham Hotspur
    Aug 22, 2001
    Near the mountains.
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Not necessarily. You're head coach may have brought him up to see how he handles the change. When I played, I had a player that was opposite. He could handle the attude, but needed time to adjust to the physical side. But, with the success that the coach has had, I'm sure his man management skills are fairly good.

17. soccernutter

soccernutter Moderator
    Staff Member

Tottenham Hotspur
    Aug 22, 2001
    Near the mountains.
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Thinking about that makes ask if the #10 has any friends on the Varsity. I do know that a second froshman who got brought up, in addition to the one I mentioned in the previous post, was made easier becuase the two were friends for a few years back. As I think back, the two were probably able to settle in easier because of that.

18. pething101

pething101 Member

Jul 31, 2001
    Smyrna, Ga
    Club:
    West Ham United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    JV score

Smith 0
    FTS 9

It was not even that close.

19. pething101

pething101 Member

Jul 31, 2001
    Smyrna, Ga
    Club:
    West Ham United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Varsity score

Smith 0
    FTS 9

You read correctly.

20. bungadiri

Staff Member

Jan 25, 2002
    Acnestia
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Wow, no wonder the varsity coach is after your players. How are the guys taking it?

21. pething101

pething101 Member

Jul 31, 2001
    Smyrna, Ga
    Club:
    West Ham United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Not sure. Seems ok with it. Lots of happy chatter on the bus ride home.

Practice was very light. Maybe an hour of work with the ball ( I dont know, I was at a Social Studies meeting) and then we watched some tape and ate some pizza.

Got Pine Forrest next. At home. Tomorrow.

22. fernb8

fernb8 Member+
    Staff Member

Aug 12, 2002
    its never easy trying to decide what is more important for the JV player, the JV team and the Varsity team
    A. Bring up the JV player, thus making the JV squad weaker, with the possibility of the player spending the majority of the time on the bench
    B. Keep him on JV were he/she might not get the necessay experience for the following season.

You could probably start another thread on this single topic.

23. fernb8

fernb8 Member+
    Staff Member

Aug 12, 2002
    update

still a little while until high school starts, but here is a quick update on the rec teams

the younger team- they are finally begining to show some confidence, after being crushed 6-0 in the opener (dont ask- too many U8 mistakes for a U16 team), they rebounded and won 4-1 and played well.

Just when I thought the demons were gone they lost 3-0 and displayed the infamous "bad attitudes" I have been discussing; moaning, finger pointing, laziness, intentional fouls from frustration, arguing with each other, arguing with the ref, etc.

Had a team meeting and told them that I would not tolerate such attitudes, I dont care about winning/losing but I do care that they have at least some common respect for me and each other. Seemed to work, we won 7-0 in the next match and they played some good football, they still need a lot of work, but at least they are starting to believe in the system.

Problem now- when things are going well, everyone is happy (ie we are winning, or doing a drill they want to- ie shooting). When things arent... its not so pretty.

24. fernb8

fernb8 Member+
    Staff Member

Aug 12, 2002
    older team

sorry just one more post

I dont know if I have mentioned the older team. Really a good bunch of lads, all seem very keen on learning and getting better, and they all dont mind working hard to achieve the team and individual goals.

They tied the season opener 2-2, they played very well but could not finish. I was quite happy with them, we worked on some finishing and different methods of attacking in practice and it seemed to work...

Next match, 12-0! Ref should have stopped it at halftime, but the opposing coach wanted to get the full 80 in. We started playing 2 touch in the first half and we ended up playing 7 vs 11. I tried to "call of the dogs", put the keeper up front and he even scored.

Next match played a team we have not beaten in 4 years. We won 5-0, up 4-0 at half the opposition didnt have a shot on goal. The lads played so well, great passing and movement off the ball. The other coach wasnt very happy and was ejected by the ref (for constantly berating the officials) in the second half, I felt terrible for his players because they all seemed embarassed by the entire situation.

I think I am going to call my teams
    Jeklly and Hyde

25. bungadiri

Staff Member

Jan 25, 2002
    Acnestia
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Re: update

Speaking as the father of a (really wonderful) 16-year-old, I'd have to say this is absolutely par for the course. I think I've mentioned before in this forum that this age tends to be a watershed, developmentally (having a child go through this is enough to drive you to do research) and the kind of apparently irrational inconsistency you describe is typical. It sounds like you are doing the right thing: keep yourself low-key (don't respond to their fireworks by flaring in response), consistent, and emphasize the positive when it's there. As for the negative, plan your consequences ahead of time so you're delivering realistic, practical "punishment that fits crime" and not going overboard just because one of them has managed to push your buttons. Let your guys know what might happen, and why, then deliver when the circumstances fit, regardless of who the transgressor is.