Must have Youth! Every transfer is a failure! Rumours / Transfer Thread

Discussion in 'Real Madrid' started by raven3k, Jan 13, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Ahmadi8

Ahmadi8 Member+

Apr 14, 2005
    Bahrain
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Nat'l Team:
    Bahrain
    Not to mention Canales.

2. razingtonbear

razingtonbear Member+

Aug 8, 2007
    I can sort of see the logic with moves such as these. We currently have a very strong squad, maybe the strongest in Europe (OK, no maybes about it), so unless one of our top guys leaves, we shouldn't be in the market for high profile, expensive, talent.

The most likely to leave is Kaka, I would imagine, and if so, we may be in the market for a bigger name to fill that role. As it stands now though, we have the likes of Ronaldo, Oezil, Kaka, Di Maria, Benzema and Higuain, who can all lay a claim to a starting spot. Aside from Kaka, all these guys are many years to come, and they seem to be getting better on the whole.

By looking at bringing Jese up from Castilla, or Lucas, we would be acquiring talent that isn't at the level to really compete for a starting spot, but could benefit really nicely from being in and around the first team, and the pressures of the biggest club in the world, without feeling they have to be difference makers from day one.

The question is, what sort of chances are they likely to get? Callejon is doing really well for us, so are his appearances cut to include others? That's the problem with a big, strong.. squad. I can understand the thinking though, if the club and I are rationalising it in the same way.

It also depends on how willing both guys are to see limited playing time, while enjoying what a club like Real Madrid can offer them as a football player going forward.

3. ambro

ambro Member

Dec 9, 2011
    USA
    If we bring in Lucas, which I think would a good move at the right price, he would be a versatile player capable of playing where Ozil does (though not a like-for-like sub, per se), or out wide in case Di Maria (or Ronaldo) is injured or needs a rest. And let's be honest, fan favorite or not, Lucas is much better than Callejon. Mou does have a track record of signing versatile players that function well in multiple positions...

4. 9Qui

9Qui Moderator
    Staff Member

May 26, 2004
    Really?

5. ambro

ambro Member

Dec 9, 2011
    USA
    You honestly think Callejon is a better player?

Callejon is a better finisher, perhaps better at defending. Similar pace. Lucas is a better dribbler (not even close), better in build up play, more creative (something we could use)... Overall Lucas is a much better prospect.

Next season, if Lucas were to be brought in, Callejon would likely get more playing time, as his spot in the squad is solidified, and he is already integrated. However, as a long term prospect, Callejon and Lucas don't even compare in my mind.

Edit: Don't get me wrong, I am a fan of Callejon, but I do think Lucas is clearly a better player and would be a great addition (keeping Callejon as well, of course).

6. 4x4s

4x4s Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 26, 2006
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Callejon and Di Maria are the best options you can wish for in terms of how much they cost the club and what they offer.

7. YOUNGSTARS87

YOUNGSTARS87 Yellow C@rd Bandit

Dec 21, 2005
    Yes. A mile better.

I can't believe you're comparing a young kid who is just getting his legs under himself (with flashes of brilliance) in the Brazilian league to a grown player who has proven himself in both Espanyol and Real Madrid, is very effective, an off the ball nightmare and a great finisher.

I am in awe.

8. ambro

ambro Member

Dec 9, 2011
    USA
    This I agree with. I am not arguing either should be replaced by Lucas, I like both of them.

So you think Callejon is so much better that they cannot even be compared? I mean I get that you're a huge fan of Real Madrid, but come on. Ridiculous. Right now, Callejon might be the better player. But Lucas would be a great buy, he's a better prospect, and in the future will be a far better player, there is no doubt about that. Keep in mind, he wouldn't be bought primarily as a wide player like these two guys. From what I understand he plays centrally, for the most part. But he is versatile and can play out there.

9. mymy33

mymy33 BigSoccer Supporter

Aug 15, 2007
    Lucas Moura is a fantastic prospect. How "great" a buy he would be would be largely dependent on his price though. He really only has two professional seasons under belt and most of his hype stems from an ab fab U20 South American Championship. I like this player, a lot, but at this point in his development there is probably just as good a chance he'd be a gigantic flop as him being successful if we were to buy him for the first team.

10. halamadrid00

halamadrid00 Red Card

Aug 2, 2007
    UK
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Callejon would rape Lucas all day long in Madrid.

Callejon is Madrid through and through and knows what it takes to succeed at a club like this. Lucas at the moment is some ponse from Brazil and has no idea how hard work it is at Madrid.

11. Excape Goat

Excape Goat Member+

Mar 18, 1999
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Yes, Lucus probably will become much better than Callejon, but Callejon is a homegrown player.... he is okay being the backup wing/forward behind Di Maria and Ronaldo. He is the perfect player for the given situation. Next season, if we promote Jese, then, we have another player behind Callejon, Ronaldo and Di Maria. In theory, Lucus is fighting with Jese. At this point, Lucus is ahead of Jese, given that he has more professional experienses. As a Real Madrid fan, I want Jese to succeed.... I am sure that many of us feel the same way toward him. It will be better if we only have three wing/forwards ahead of Jese.

12. Benz09

Benz09 Member

Apr 11, 2011
    With your mom
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    I'm not surprised we're linked with ANOTHER up and coming player who seems to have performed well for a few games. I'm also not surprised at people buying into the hype and going off on tangents about how they would be good for the team. We have the greatest squad of players, and buying Lucas Moura to somehow replace Callejon is just a despicable move. He's way too young, has plenty of brain fart decisions and needs another two years in Brazil to even think about playing second fiddle for us. I've been reading a lot of retarded transfer analysis in the past days, first the Pepe - Thiago Silva deal (which is beyond stupid) now this.

13. MadridOzil

MadridOzil Member+

Jun 6, 2011
    Club:
    Real Madrid
  14. 9Qui

9Qui Moderator
    Staff Member

May 26, 2004
    There's a difference between best player and best prospect.

Why would Callejón get more playing time if Lucas is clearly the better player?

Why is it ridiculous when you agree with it?

You seem to have confused yourself.

And it seems you haven't even watched Lucas really.

Many do. :)

15. mymy33

Aug 15, 2007
    For the record Callejon wouldn't "rape Lucas all day long" and this is a player who has had more than a few good games, it's not like he's Keirrison or something :)D). At 19 years old he already has 10 caps with the full Brazilian NT and while a good part of that is down to an obstinate coach who has "favorites" and the team as a whole is in transition he has generally acquitted himself well when he has played. He is still a bit immature but he's only 19, what do you expect? An 18/19 year old like Higuan or Silky Johnson is the exception not the rule for the most part ;)

And even if he were to come I'm not sure he would necessarily "displace" anyone, he would definitely be a "project" and my only concern with this is how many projects we can sustain while still remaining competitive? We already have Varane and now with rumors of Jese supposedly making the leap to the first team (although I'm not sure I buy this) Moura would be overkill even if players like Kaka or even Granero were to move on this summer. But make no mistake this is a good player and if an option presents itself where we can purchase him and then immediately loan him out to a club in Portugal or France I think we would be wise to seriously consider it. Kaka will eventually move on and need replacing, and I'm not sure you totally rule out Granero leaving in a season or two, or that you could rule out this team staying together as is because sh*t happens and having "replacements" like a Moura or even Jese ready, available and devloping is a good thing..best case you bring them in after a loan and integrate them into the first team, worse case scenario they don't meet our expectations and you move them on. Is their a risk? Of course but when isn't there with any transfer.

16. GRBomber

GRBomber Member

Sep 12, 2005
    Brasília - Brazil
    Club:
    Sao Paulo FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    Leave Lucas alone, damn it, my team is bad enough with him!

Go get Neymar and weaken Santos, please :D

17. Umar

Umar Member+

Sep 13, 2005
    One step ahead
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Nat'l Team:
    Palestine
    We've got space for a few projects still. I'd say we could sustain three good prospects with decent minutes for each and still remain competitive.

Remember too that next season we will be playing in the Club World Cup due to our upcoming Champions League victory :D so there should be more minutes to spread around.

18. YOUNGSTARS87

Dec 21, 2005
    Do they even need weakening?

19. YOUNGSTARS87

Dec 21, 2005
    Masterclass.

I was going to do the job but you handled all the dirty work for me. ;)

Keirrison at 19/20 was hammering 40 or so goals in that league.

My response was to a direct comparison of the players as of today. I wouldn't mind him here at all.

20. Halycon

Halycon Member+

Aug 24, 2010
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    No thanks, we don't need Lucas. Let Chelsea or another random club get ripped by paying 40M for a Brazilian kid who has proven nothing.

Sell Kaka in the summer, promote Jesé and we're done. Jese is currently playing mediapunta with Castilla, so Morata can be placed on the leftwing and he is doing a great job. He actually surprised me with his vision.

If Castilla gets promoted though, I would get Sarabia instead.

21. mymy33

Aug 15, 2007
    So what? It doesn't change the fact he wasn't as "established" when Barca bought him as Lucas is now which is what I was addressing.

And my response was to those comments dismissing the player as if he isn't quality so I'm not sure why you're quoting me.

22. Shay Z

Shay Z Moderator
    Staff Member

Jan 3, 2007
  23. -Fifth CharM-

-Fifth CharM- BigSoccer Supporter

Sep 12, 2007
    Another midfielder? So strange! What on earth would this mean for Sahin, and why was he signed in the first place? He is supposedly Xabi Alonso's back-up but if he is not getting any minutes now then what is the likelihood that he would get some with Javi Martinez here.

24. Zidane05

Zidane05 Moderator
    Staff Member

Jul 18, 2005
    Toronto
    I would think Javi would be brought to replace Lass.

Christian Eriksen anyone? Fantastic talent.

25. Anon.

Anon. Member+

Sep 4, 2007
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    I'm not just saying this as a fan of Lass, but from what I've seen of Javi, there's no guarantee that he'll be better than Lass.

Lass would be a starter for most of the top clubs in Europe and he's proved to be a versatile and reliable option for us. I would be surprised if Mou allows him to go, but if he's commanding a high contract then perhaps he's on his way out next year.

I guess the view with Javi Martinez would be that he would start alongside Xabi, but I then the question is whether he's better than Khedira or not?