Rumor: Muppet Games: where muppets go to cry - 2012 summer transfer thread

Discussion in 'Manchester United' started by cr7torossi, Mar 13, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Karloski

Karloski Member+

Oct 26, 2006
    England
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    I know you said that, and for what he does, Carrick does a fine job in most games. My contention was with the suggestion that we are possession dominant team, but what I have got from your replies is that we have differing definitions of the word 'dominance'.

2. Drae

Drae Member+

Jun 26, 2006
    Australia
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    I wonder if we will actually buy a CM. From Fergie's POV our CM currently looks better than it did last summer. There is no imperative to buy.

Looking at our CM with FergieVision;
    Carrick: Has had his finest season with us, looks much more consistent. True MUQ starter CM.
    Scholes: Good as he ever was, will probably play another year.
    Cleverly: Had 9 starts, looks fairly comfortable, can challenge for a CM spot. Could be injury prone, but given how unconcerned we are about Fletcher, Hargreaves, and Ando, this is not a concern.
    Giggs: Good lad, can be relied upon etc.
    Fletcher: Has some stomach thing, could make a comeback.
    Ando: Seems injury prone, but happy to keep him unless he wants to go. Might even turn everything around.
    Pogba: If he stays will have to give him PT or his agent will start moaning again, and that guy is a pain in the neck.

I cannot get past the madness of last summer. If Fergie didnt see a need to buy a CM then, why would he now? Arguably we are stronger now with Carrick having a great season and Scholes being back.

Perhaps if some player really wants to come here, and will come for less than market wages, or a cheap transfer fee, we might snap up a bargain. Otherwise, it does not seem logical that we will desperately go out and spend big money, or a mid level signing if there is no need.

Best case scenario is that Ando decides he wants to leave, or Fletcher retires, and we go for a mid-level CM. I could easily see Ando staying to have another go at getting in the starting 11, and Fletch pushing on for another year (without making a comeback).

Invincible and JC7rox repped this.
  3. johno

johno Member+

Jul 15, 2003
    in the wind
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    By your definition, there is only one team in world football that dominates possession. Congrats for being a pedant and stretching this out over hours and a dozen posts when all you had to say was, "I didn't realize that United has more possession on average than the vast majority of European clubs."

4. Invincible

Invincible Member+

Mar 28, 2004
    Sanctuary
    Unfortunately, this is the truth. If United didn't sign a central midfielder last season I don't see why they'd sign one now.

The best we ( I ) could hope for is that they give Petrucci and Pogba (if he isn't Bianconeri next season) meaningful minutes.

5. Karloski

Karloski Member+

Oct 26, 2006
    England
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Of all the top tier clubs (if we can still call ourselves that), we'd likely lose out on possession. For the vast majority of second tier clubs, if we were to have more possession. it would not be by a dominate amount. I disagree with your assessment, I'm happy to leave it at that.

6. johno

johno Member+

Jul 15, 2003
    in the wind
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    This is patently false. My claims - are backed on statistics. I haven't posted them, but your positions have been so off that I didn't feel the need to. I'm certainly not going to do your due diligence for you - you are gonna have to do more say we lose out on possession.

Just so you know, having anything more than 55% of the ball in a game is considered being dominant in possession. We hold our own against the vast majority of top-tier opponents. We don't do well against high pressing teams who are also very technical. Apart from those opponents, we have more possession than our opponents and certainly at home.

All that semantics aside, none of that changes the fact that because of our style of play, our DM is not required to be the Mascherano type. That is not what our DM is required to do. It is why we shipped so many goals at the start of the year playing 2 guys who traditionally speaking, do a lot more chasing than Carrick does. High line, plus possession/territorial control = ball winning not a priority for our DM.

7. SyedZada

SyedZada Member+

May 14, 2008
    Santa Clara
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Last season, we started with Fletch, Gibson atleast on our books and Giggs was still bit reliable but yeah it was desperate and he didnt buy anyone.

8. pgr17

pgr17 Member+

Sep 26, 2003
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    also looks like M'Villa to Arsenal is "99%" done.

9. Drae

Drae Member+

Jun 26, 2006
    Australia
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    In terms of the possession dominance thing, I think its more useful to look at the current squad in terms of the identity issue, and ask the question if we are (or can become a team) whose identity is possession based football, ala Barca, and capable of dominating any opposition to win.

I dont think the evidence is there that we have been able to do that against competant opposition. I would love to see an average possession stat in recent years from big games in the EPL and Europe. I suspect we would either be even, or below 50%. Either way, its probably not anywhere near the level needed to use possession as our identity and to dominate elite clubs with it.

I dont see us doing the tika-taka thing with our current squad or manager.

10. SyedZada

SyedZada Member+

May 14, 2008
    Santa Clara
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    He would have been a decent signing but I can think of few who we can get and would be better for us.

11. JamesA

JamesA Member+

Dec 7, 2004
    Victoria
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    I don't think our fan base would want that to be honest. It's simply not in our club DNA. I don't feel we'd really enjoy it, or even appreciate it myself.

That's not say I don't think possession is important, it's more in reference to "Tiki-taka"

12. Invincible

Invincible Member+

Mar 28, 2004
    Sanctuary
    1) I loathe the term "Tiki-Taka"

2) I'd love it if United adopted it. Love it.

I'd take a league and/or CL every few seasons playing possession football over winning the league (almost) every year playing 4-4-2.

13. JamesA

JamesA Member+

Dec 7, 2004
    Victoria
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    But it's a double edged sword. that possession could just easily result in Arsenal or Swansea like games if the proper penetration isn't found.

Besides Barcelona, what other team's are executing a possession based system (defined as possession as being a key component to the foundation of their success) at the top level, and getting results in terms of trophies from it?

Better yet, what team's across Europe are executing a possession based system, which allowing them to punch above their weight, and meet or exceed expectations? I mean that genuinely as I'm interested.

14. Invincible

Invincible Member+

Mar 28, 2004
    Sanctuary
    None, because it's not easy to assemble a team of players of the type necessary to play possession first football.

It's not impossible, mind you but it's not easy...especially with all the inflation/greed/managerial stupidity in the game currently.

That being said, United have the resources to pull it off. In fact, they have the players to do it right now. Whether such a side would hold up against Europe's best is another story but they have the players.

15. BobanFan

BobanFan Member+

Jun 28, 2007
    Club:
    AC Milan
    You guys have been linked with Asamoah from Udinese, not sure how strongly but I'm posting it anyway.

http://www.football-italia.net/18596/man-utd-look-asamoah

16. SyedZada

SyedZada Member+

May 14, 2008
    Santa Clara
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    I like him, he isnt a limited midfield player as he is physically able and technically decent but dont sure and with ACN happening again this season.

17. cr7torossi

cr7torossi Member+

May 10, 2007
    Can you please stop quoting fake twitter accounts as fact?

18. SyedZada

SyedZada Member+

May 14, 2008
    Santa Clara
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Some French journalist also saying that CR, but we will see.

19. pgr17

pgr17 Member+

Sep 26, 2003
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    this is a fake account?

@LaurensJulien
    Very busy yesterday working on M'vila story. Deal 99% done. 22 million euros, 4 years. Great signing for Arsenal and player is delighted

20. cr7torossi

cr7torossi Member+

May 10, 2007
    Sorry, meant the Hazard one

21. pgr17

pgr17 Member+

Sep 26, 2003
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
  22. cr7torossi

cr7torossi Member+

May 10, 2007
    Fair enough Phil

Most likely much like the Kagawa quotes which was run by multiple media sources as true which originated from a fake twitter account, this appears to have similar origins.

23. pgr17

pgr17 Member+

Sep 26, 2003
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    i try to not follow fake accounts but i'm sure this off-season will be even more insufferable than the last. going to be hard to separate the wheat from the chaff.

24. urbnzy

urbnzy Member+

Aug 13, 2007
    Slovenia
    Ain't that just great.

25. pgr17

pgr17 Member+

Sep 26, 2003
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    seems like people would be pretty happy about Kagawa not signing for United.