Multichannel News: beIN Sports USA will launch 2 channels on August 1

Discussion in 'TV, Satellite & Radio' started by huhe888, May 17, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. huhe888

huhe888 Red Card

Oct 3, 2007
    Sometimes, the tail wags the dog in this business.

I wouldn't be surprised if an insider read what I wrote and decided to make a few phone calls and send a few emails.

Nasser is based in Paris and Qatar so he wouldn't know what really goes on in Miami.

2. Emperor_Norton

Jun 14, 2007
    I might be wrong, but I think Richard Scudamore and his pals get a cut of the TV rights. The higher the bid, the more money they get. They don`t earn their money from selling merchandise or sponsorship deals, hence IMO they will go for the highest bidder. But that`s only my opinion.

3. SYoshonis

SYoshonis Member+

Jun 8, 2000
    Lafayette, Louisiana
    Club:
    Michigan Bucks
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Well then, it's a good thing that I didn't say that, isn't it? Of course, nobody "needs" to watch anything.

4. MetroChile

MetroChile Member+

Jan 13, 2001
    NJ; Valpo.
    Club:
    Santiago Wanderers
    Nat'l Team:
    Chile
    No, but you made it seem like potential less European footy offered on tv in the 'States would directly lead to more people tuning into MLS: some flawed logic, I am afraid. That's all.

5. SYoshonis

SYoshonis Member+

Jun 8, 2000
    Lafayette, Louisiana
    Club:
    Michigan Bucks
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    So, you think that the idea that nobody would ever watch any more MLS due to less European soccer being on TV is somehow logical? Because that's the only alternative to what I posted, which was that "(i)f there is less foreign soccer shown on TV, then at least some of those fans will finally start to watch MLS. At least some of those people will follow it more closely, and increase the fan base of our national league."

Oh, and anyone whose argument is based on the old "you made it seem like" dodge really needs to stop accusing anyone else of "flawed logic."

6. MetroChile

MetroChile Member+

Jan 13, 2001
    NJ; Valpo.
    Club:
    Santiago Wanderers
    Nat'l Team:
    Chile
    Damn: someone needs a chill-pill. :D

7. huhe888

huhe888 Red Card

Oct 3, 2007
    MLS audience will not magically rise because GOLTV won't have La Liga, FOX won't have Serie A, and beIN Sports USA lacks full distribution.

Die-hards will watch Serie A and La Liga (average 50000 per match, so viewers are diehards) will find "alternative means".

Barcelona vs Real Madrid clasicos will likely be on NBC Sports Network and Telemundo if Qatar Media/NBCU partnership were to come to fruition.

EPL will still be with FOX and ESPN for 2012-2013. No big deal for most English-speaking viewers who prefer EPL anyway. FOX free-to-air network will still have 3 games including Super Bowl Sunday.

8. SirFozzie

SirFozzie Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 17, 2001
    Franklin, MA
  9. jhernandez86

jhernandez86 Member

Sep 22, 2004
  10. SirFozzie

SirFozzie Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 17, 2001
    Franklin, MA
    yes, but one defense of the recent issues was "Serie A is clean all the recent stories have focused on Serie B and lower". Now we're showing it has a direct effect on Serie A, not just who plays in it.

11. SYoshonis

SYoshonis Member+

Jun 8, 2000
    Lafayette, Louisiana
    Club:
    Michigan Bucks
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    So you admit that you were full of shit when accusing me of "flawed logic," then? You should just say so, like an adult.

12. SYoshonis

SYoshonis Member+

Jun 8, 2000
    Lafayette, Louisiana
    Club:
    Michigan Bucks
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Who said that it would?

13. BOSNAINTER

BOSNAINTER Member

krajina
    Bosnia and Herzegovina
    Feb 17, 2006
    Nat'l Team:
    Bosnia-Herzegovina
    haha so guy goes to police station and now suddenly he is guilty. this story came from english news agency what a surprise.this was all in serie b that is the reason conte is being investigated and it will not have any impact on serie a. italy is trying to combat this while epl hides everything money laundering and other things.

14. SirFozzie

SirFozzie Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 17, 2001
    Franklin, MA

Thank you for proving my point.

15. MetroChile

MetroChile Member+

Jan 13, 2001
    NJ; Valpo.
    Club:
    Santiago Wanderers
    Nat'l Team:
    Chile
    [​IMG]

16. BOSNAINTER

BOSNAINTER Member

krajina
    Bosnia and Herzegovina
    Feb 17, 2006
    Nat'l Team:
    Bosnia-Herzegovina
    yeah and i am also reading at lazio forum that lazio is implemented because lolito did not agree with coni for stadium rent and how much and when he does lazio and mauri will be cleared. and one more thing does anybody think that that game in zagreb was not fixed between lyon and zagreb but nobody is talking about it. every league in europe is corrupt but all of them exept italy is sweeping it under rug. same thing with napoli and udinese these teams want to build new stadiums and less money for coni.

17. BOSNAINTER

BOSNAINTER Member

krajina
    Bosnia and Herzegovina
    Feb 17, 2006
    Nat'l Team:
    Bosnia-Herzegovina
    how can one player go into genoa locker room and no lazio player know about it then whole lazio team new a bout mauri going to genoa locker room. same with every other game how can one player do so much damage in a game that no other player could notice that makes no sense or they are all in it or this is just a BS and i go with second this is just a BS and set up

18. jhernandez86

jhernandez86 Member

Sep 22, 2004
    Ok, so here is what I know, Sources are telling me that TWC is not currently negotiating any deal with Bein networks. As a matter of fact when and if they start negotiating, The channel will not be on any of TWC packages on August 2.

So, if Bein is going to broadcast the CONMBEBOL games at no additional charge, I guess I am getting Dish, otherwise, I will have to see the games on the internet or go back to hearing the games on the radio.

19. blackhornet

blackhornet Member

Jun 26, 2008
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Money talks, that's how.

While I would love this to happen there are a few problems standing in the way: Broadband caps/net neutrality and Traditional TV distribution models. Look at things like HBO Go that require you to have a cable account or ESPN's online offerings that require you to have the right broadband/mobile provider and in some cases also a cable account capable of getting ESPN channels. This revolution will never happen while the powers that be hold on to the model that they know works all up and down the food chain. Notice what IS available for purchase online are games that are not broadcast on highly visible channels. And pretty soon I expect broadband and wireless providers to start either signing content distribution deals with content providers or throttling high-bandwidth applications like video streaming. Netflix already got into this skirmish with Comcast last year when they switched backbone providers. All it will do is give these guys time to offer their own crippled solutions (like they did with DVRs) enough to placate the people who want to watch TV on their iPads.

BTW have you noticed that between Roku, Boxee, Xbox, Playstation, Google TV, Apple TV, etc there is not one place where you can access all services (Netflix, Amazon, Youtube, Crackle, Hulu Plus, etc). It's by design, those crooked bastards.

20. blackhornet

blackhornet Member

Jun 26, 2008
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    MLS (or NBC Sports) needs to do a better job in upping the drama of the league and talking about all the storylines going on. I've said this for years that the only place to get a consistent amount of MLS news is the Fox Soccer Report (and allegedly that's going away this fall). Why doesn't MLS produce a 30-60 minute weekly magazine show (and distribute clips online) sort of like Premier League World and allow NBC or other channels (ESPN too much a lame duck?) to run those clips during their broadcasts? Or NBC could step up and produce a ProSoccer Talk show to match their blog. I mean it's not like anything else on that channel will be burning up the ratings.

SYoshonis repped this.
  21. JJ Mindset

JJ Mindset Member

Dec 7, 2000
    Just as I thought. TWC has yet to bend over for the NFL Network. I doubt BeIN (or whatever the name is) will have an easier time, at least right away. Also, Fox tried to bully them on retransmission and were forced to find a compromise.

Folks who use TWC or Bright House will have to get ready to use alternate means to access a large chunk of association football for the next two-five years.

22. Schapes

Schapes Member

Aug 20, 2001

NBC Sports needs to show more GAMES! Two weekend s ago NBC Sports had on Friday night a documentary about The Summitt Series (Canada vs Russia) and then on Saturday the IIHF World Hockey Final!

23. richardfromnyc

Apr 6, 2009
    New York
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Korea Republic
    Well that sucks.. I'm on TimeWarnerCable but I sort of expected this... as much as i like Serie A and La Liga - i'm not going to stream to watch most of the matches.... so much for the thought that Serie A leaving FSC and La Liga leaving GolTV would be 'good thing'.

24. SYoshonis

SYoshonis Member+

Jun 8, 2000
    Lafayette, Louisiana
    Club:
    Michigan Bucks
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    [​IMG]

25. matty311

matty311 Member

Jul 2, 2003