Multichannel News: beIN Sports USA will launch 2 channels on August 1

Discussion in 'TV, Satellite & Radio' started by huhe888, May 17, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. huhe888

huhe888 Red Card

Oct 3, 2007
    Kudos to Mike Reynolds of Multichannel News to finally got Qatar Media and Imagina U.S. (MEDIAPRO) to talk. His article was published at around 4pm Eastern Time on Thursday May 17:

http://www.multichannel.com/article...air_of_Soccer_Channels_in_U_S_this_August.php

One interesting note: beIN Sports USA is keeping rights to Ligue 1 in ENGLISH ONLY.

beIN Sports USA will also have Copa America 2015.

Two distribution deals have already been signed, and Imagina U.S. is hinting that viewers will have to "switch providers" in order to watch La Liga next season.

Although he would not identify the providers that beIN Sport was in advanced carriage talks, Briceño (VP of Affiliate Distribution for Imagina U.S.) insisted that the matches would be available to U.S. soccer fans this upcoming season. "You may have to switch providers," he noted.

As of right now, Briceño said beIn Sport has no plans to sublicense the rights it has obtained in the U.S. whatsoever.

Lyrical S. repped this.
  2. huhe888

huhe888 Red Card

Oct 3, 2007
    The #2 man at Al Jazeera Sports, Youssef Mohammad Al-Obaidly, was the Qatar Media Corporation official who issued the statement to Multichannel News. Al-Obaidly was identified as the "managing director" of beIN Sports USA.

[​IMG]

BOSNAINTER repped this.
  3. BOSNAINTER

BOSNAINTER Member

krajina
    Bosnia and Herzegovina
    Feb 17, 2006
    Nat'l Team:
    Bosnia-Herzegovina
    i new it they will seperate chanels for serie a and la liga just like in middle east nic

4. stingbee30

stingbee30 Member

Mar 16, 2006
    The question is the distribution....Just like FOX Soccer has seen been stuck in this range, I don't know how they are going to succeed in asking more money from consumers to pay for these channels. Unless, it ends up on one the of mainstream channels. The Petro dollars are reaching all shores..The fact is this going to be another a la carte offering? We have enough of those. Talk about saturation and dilution of the product.

5. Redbullsnation2012

May 26, 2010
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    very nice, lets hope JSC throw money at the providers to get the channel on basic...

6. huhe888

huhe888 Red Card

Oct 3, 2007
    Up to $800 million in launch fees if Qatar Media really wants beIN Sports USA 1 and 2 to be on digital basic (i.e. MLB Network) or expanded basic.

The likes of Comcast and Time Warner Cable will extract their pounds of flesh from the Emir.

7. Cpt_K

Cpt_K Member

Jan 20, 2005
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Hopefully the Emir invests his petro dollars in SAP to offer both English and Spanish commentary on the two different feeds if the English and Spanish feeds are showing different games so fans from both languages can enjoy the game in their native tongues!

8. huhe888

huhe888 Red Card

Oct 3, 2007
    Get ready to either laugh or gasp...

An very reliable source has told me that he was informed by MP & Silva (the Italian agency in charge of marketing international media rights to Serie A, MLS, etc.) that Qatar Media Corporation bid over $75 million ($25 million/season) for U.S. rights to Serie A in 2012-2015.

And I though my original estimate of around $45 million ($15 million/season) was already deep in "insane" territory.

I don't believe FOX Sports Media Group paid more than $5 million/season for the 2-year U.S. rights deal (exclusive English and Spanish-language TV with non-exclusive internet rights) for Serie A that just expired.

Serie A drew an average of less than 60,000 viewers per match on FOX Soccer during the past 2 seasons.

Not a surprise to see FOX Soccer put up the white flag with regards to Serie A and used the last 4 months of the 2011-2012 Serie A season as a "laboratory"/"school" for junior production staff.

==

If Qatar Media were to bid over $300 million for U.S. media rights to English Premier League in 2013-2016, then I would be very surprised if even a 3-way partnership among FOX Sports Media Group, ESPN Inc., and Univision Communications will want to match that.

9. Lyrical S.

Lyrical S. Member+

Aug 22, 2006
    Morelia, Michoacan
    Club:
    Club América
    Nat'l Team:
    Mexico
    I hope BeIn wins rights to EPL...

10. Cantona

Cantona Member

Jul 12, 1999
    Texas/Luton/Manc
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Scotland
    so finally we have an "official" press release.. not some fringe web site responding to olivers guesses and fake wordpress and twitter accounts...

Again olivers guesses have been WAY OFF BASE... although he is still harping on the Comcast connection... NO... when will he learn.. he is still trying to convince everyone of the crazy idea that Fox
    s Serie A coverage in the last weeks of the season has been a "junior production staff" exercise.. really? what staff are you talking about.... ? the Fox Executives are the ones laughing at your posts..

Yes Bein sports did not buy Goltv.. did they really want to.. do they NEED TO? ... NO.. what we have found out here is what most of us thought to begin with.. they have buckets load of cash and they will do it their way.. they are not looking to force major distribution right away.. they have the rights.. and they will take their time in getting out there..

my concern... they state that "you may have to switch providers".. this makes me think that the provider for soccer fans, "DirecTV" is not the preferred destination of this channel... look for this to be a Dish Network exclusive.. this makes sense since the same thing happened with GolTv on launch.. and since Dish has Al Jazeera currently... so if things are similiar to that launch, Bein Sport would be a satellite exclusive for at least one year via satellite.. cable providers would be under a different carriage agreement.

major changes coming.. but for DirecTV customers.. I would GUESS we have one year to wait before we see Bein Sports.

Cantona----

superdave repped this.
  11. stingbee30

stingbee30 Member

Mar 16, 2006
    Olive has a tendency to stretch things...

First of all, EPL wants to be seen on a mainstream channel vs. a channel with only a few million distribution. According to recent articles, it is ESPN who seems to be one of the front runners. Yes, they could get a few more dollars, but at the end it is about what makes sense. The fact the games have been on ESPN/ESPN2 has legitimized the league in the eyes of mainstream America, and with FOX showing some more games on the mothership channel this year . It doesn't make sense to go backwards and be only seen on a new channel or a channel with limited distribution. One way or the other, ESPN is going to retain a package with the likely of getting more games (According to people within the circles...they have shown the desire to commit to more games).

Yes, unless your speculative/guessing prognosis that Comcast/NBC will use their muscle to become the distribution platform for the EPL. In this case, this might make sense for EPL to give the rights to this partnership.

superdave repped this.
  12. jhernandez86

jhernandez86 Member

Sep 22, 2004

We can all speculate but the person in question has contributed a great deal to this forum. Tons of information and some hit and misses, but that is the purpose of this forum, to talk about football media events and sometimes we can speculate on the outcome of some of this deals. By the way, Directv knows Football, and they do have a great deal of experience in Latam, so do not be surprise if they give Being channels some preferential treatment. Dish, has a partnership with Qatar Media, but they are know to be very cheap when it comes to football programming so I am not sure if they are going to have the same leveare as they did when Goltv Launch back in 2003. Things have change and Football is more popular now than in 2003.

See what I just did, I speculated.

13. jhernandez86

jhernandez86 Member

Sep 22, 2004

The only problem with this argument is that ESPN is all about dollars and sense, and right now the EPL demand too much money, but the return may be marginal at best, so I am not that sure. Qatar media has tons of money, and they are not about dollars and sense, they need to penetrate the American market and I am sure they will put twice as much as any other competitor is willing to do.

I do hope that ESPN can get some football programming for 2014-2016, but at this point is all up in the air. And ESPN is know to walk away from ridiculous business models.

14. huhe888

huhe888 Red Card

Oct 3, 2007
    One piece of the story that makes NO SENSE:

If Qatar Media really has a ton of money and really wants to make a big splash in the U.S. market, then why isn't Qatar Media using the South American World Cup qualifying matches on June 2 and June 9 as a marketing event by giving those matches away to cable or satellite TV providers as an incentive to sign on to carry beIN Sports USA 1 and 2 at launch?

Instead, Imagina US (MEDIAPRO) is still monkeying around with pay-per-view distribution for those 8 matches, and the pay-per-view distribution deals are still not done yet.

(In contrast, Doug Jacobs has locked down pay-per-view deals for CONCACAF World Cup qualifying matches with DIRECTV, DISH, inDemand [Comcast/Time Warner Cable/Cox], and UStream.tv.)

Look, Telemundo showed the industry how effective the strategy of putting a big World Cup qualifying match (Mexico vs USA in August 2009) on a relatively obscure TV channel (mun2) and then giving away the channel for 24 hours was. mun2 got expanded basic carriage on DIRECTV (among others) within 12 months after that marketing event.

(I expect Univision to use the same strategy in 2013 by putting the English-language telecast on Mexico vs USA on "UnivisionABC News 24/7" and giving away the channel for 24 hours in free preview mode. You can't buy that kind of marketing for any price.)

15. corolla

corolla Member

Jan 8, 2008
    Club:
    Olympique de Marseille
    Nat'l Team:
    France
    Cmon FIOS get these channels on there!!!

cigar_city repped this.
  16. kenntomasch

kenntomasch Member+

Sep 2, 1999
    Out West
    Club:
    FC Tampa Bay Rowdies
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    [​IMG]

superdave repped this.
  17. coracaodoporto

Jan 3, 2012
    Club:
    FC Porto
    Well the Qataris already ruined the World Cup in 2022 for us by buying it and now they are hell bent on ruining european soccer and copa america for us by showing it on some obscure hard to find channel. Soccer has finally started to get a foothold in America and now these assholes show up to ruin it.

Lithium858 repped this.
  18. kenntomasch

kenntomasch Member+

Sep 2, 1999
    Out West
    Club:
    FC Tampa Bay Rowdies
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Kinda like ESPN did when they put Duke/North Carolina on that obscure hard to find channel called espn2.

This is business. This is what you do when you're trying to establish a business. It's not about making sure your life stays exactly the same as it's always been.

Got news for ya: soccer in this country is a shit-ton less ruin-able than you give it credit for.

19. coracaodoporto

Jan 3, 2012
    Club:
    FC Porto
    You're comparing ESPN2 to Bein Sports USA? EVERY cable and satellite provider has ESPN2 on the basic packages. With Bein Sport you'll be lucky to find it on 1 provider.
    Also the "business" these Qataris are after doesn't involve making money but trying to get publicity for the country of Qatar........in the United States. Lets put it bluntly, Americans do not like Arabs.

20. huhe888

huhe888 Red Card

Oct 3, 2007
    Please take off your rose-colored glasses, re-read the paragraphs below and commit to your memory:

1. ESPN, Inc.'s live priorities in the U.S. are NFL Monday Night Football, "Big 5" major college football (SEC, B1G, XII, PAC, ACC), and "Power 6" major college basketball ("Big 5" leagues plus BIG EAST). EPL is somewhere outside the top 10, below Little League Baseball.

2. If Qatar Media were to bid over $300 million for U.S. media rights to EPL for 2013-2016 with written guarantee in the tender document that at least 6-8 matches will air on a channel with 80 million households or above via time-buy or sublicense (i.e. NBC Sports Network), then there is little to no chance FOX-ESPN (or FOX-ESPN-Univision) will be able to keep U.S. rights to EPL in 2013-2016.

3. Comcast and Time Warner Cable have enough LEVERAGE over Qatar Media (i.e. the threat of not carrying beIN Sports USA 1 and 2 at any price) to force Qatar Media into time-buy or sublicensing agreements for the best EPL and La Liga matches, but FOX does not, ESPN does not, and Univision does not.

4. History has shown that premium pro team sports media properties ultimately flow to the owners of the "pipes". That has happened in the U.K., South Africa, Middle East/North Africa (ex-Israel ex-Turkey,) Hong Kong, Vietnam, Thailand, Singapore, Mexico, and Canada (among other places). That will eventually happen in the U.S. as long as the likes of Comcast are able to own both content and distribution.

21. Warren Van Orden

Feb 29, 2000
    Richmond CA
    The likes of Comcast are able to own both content and distribution.
    Their ilk also own DC.
    I hear any other arrangement would be unpatriotic terrorism.

22. huhe888

huhe888 Red Card

Oct 3, 2007
    The Senator from Comcast errrrrrrrrrrr Pennsylvania wrote the "Specter Amendment" to specifically exempt Comcast SportsNet Philadelphia from a law that requires all regional sports channels to be offered to every pay TV provider.

Comcast SportsNet Philadelphia remains the only major regional sports network in the U.S. that is NOT offered via direct broadcast satellite. As a result, Comcast continues to enjoy 95% pay TV market share in Philadelphia, well above the national average.

(Cox-owned Channel 4 San Diego is no longer considered a major regional sports network after it lost the rights to the San Diego Padres to FOX Sports San Diego.)

==

The longer Qatar Media stays the U.S. sports TV business, the greater the probability Comcast will be able to use its leverage to coerce Qatar Media into using its petro-currency to snatch more and more big events from the likes of ESPN and FOX.

EPL is on deck.

Big East Conference could be next.

We are in Year 1 of a very long "poker game" that will run through 2022.

23. huhe888

huhe888 Red Card

Oct 3, 2007
    Steering this back to topic...

The next U.S. media rights deal for 2013-2016 for the English Premier League is Qatar Media's to lose.

Qatar Media is now the heavy favorite. The partnership of FOX-ESPN (or FOX-ESPN-Univision) is the underdog.

$300 million for all the rights (regardless of whether everything will be sold in one bundle or separated into packages) will be beyond the threshold of pain for ESPN, FOX, and Univision.

[$90 million from FOX + $90 million from ESPN + $45 million from Univision = $225 million]

One way for Qatar Media to lose is if Qatar Media were either arrogant or stupid enough to submit to the FAPL a tender document WITHOUT a written guarantee that 6-8 big EPL matches each season (Manchester United vs Arsenal, Chelsea, Liverpool, or Manchester City) will air on a U.S. TV network with a reach of at least 80 million households via time buy or sublicense.

The FAPL's attitude has changed after the GuangDong TV/WinTV fiasco in China in 2007-2009. Submitting the biggest bid is no longer enough to win the rights. The FAPL wants household clearance data from the bidders. Manchester United in particular will not allow the FAPL to accept a bid that has the potential to kill its brand in a major market such as the U.S.

Still trying to determine with whom Qatar Media and Imagina US (MEDIAPRO) have met at Comcast, NBC Sports Group, and Telemundo. That is a critical piece to the puzzle.

24. blackhornet

blackhornet Member

Jun 26, 2008
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Oh come on ... he's comparing Bein Sport to ESPN2 when it launched, not ESPN2 now.

25. Amador

Amador Member

Jul 20, 2010
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    I wished they would have just bought GolTv and rebranded the channel. i doubt any of the channels will be offered outside if sidh and much less inHD. I love La Liga but they dont know how to run a league. The exposure of the league will be minimal. Hardcore fans will be illegaly streaming this stuff. Which sucks but I am not going to change provider for one DAMN channel.

cigar_city repped this.