Mukwelle Akale

Discussion in 'Youth National Teams' started by Scotty, Feb 16, 2014.

1. ielag

ielag Member+

Jul 20, 2010
    And there's always going to be those kids that are just dead set on trying Europe first regardless if they have a good MLS offer like Marc Pelosi, Junior Flores, Sebastian Ibeagha, Rubio Rubin, Agbossoumonde, etc. But I think MLS clubs are having a bit more influence in this regard than just a few years ago.

2. SUDano

SUDano Member+

Jan 18, 2003
    Rochester, NY
    While I can't disagree with anything you wrote, for the game to truly grow and benefit development in the US the vast majority of top players would need to stay to lay the this foundation of development and overall growth.

3. Holla at ya boy

May 15, 2005
    Club:
    Newcastle United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I agree, but I think MLS teams need to offer these young players some contracts. I think with the USL Pro agreement, hopefully more will be signed and get some playing time.

SUDano repped this.
  4. Dave Marino-Nachison

Jun 9, 1999
    Money and fame (which are no small issues, of course) aside, I think we all vastly overestimate the desire most teenagers have to uproot to foreign countries where they may not speak the language in order to, essentially, begin work. While objectively that may make the most long-term "sense" in some sense, life doesn't really work that way.

It's easy to say a kid "should" go here or there at 16, but it's not so simple. Give them a compelling option here and they will take it more often than not.

Sandon Mibut repped this.
  5. SUDano

SUDano Member+

Jan 18, 2003
    Rochester, NY
    Proximity to home and loved ones particularly for children are an important factor in alot of family and life decisions.

6. Dave Marino-Nachison

Jun 9, 1999
    Indeed, you see that showing up at a much higher rate in those decisions than in BigSoccer posts about other peoples' lives.

7. Clint Eastwood

Clint Eastwood Member+

Dec 23, 2003
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    There's no question.

I wonder if Akale and his representation has even been in touch with MLS regarding a GenAd contract whereby he could enter the league via lottery (a la Luis Gil). As we know, Akale can't sign with the league as a homegrown player.

He may not even be entertaining the MLS option for all we know. If a club like Lyon has a contract offer in front of you that's significantly higher than what MLS is going to offer.....................that's pretty tough to turn down. Plenty of kids have done it, however. In fact we heard recently that Tommy Redding had offers from top academies in Europe and chose a contract with Orlando City instead.

8. Giggsy1986

Giggsy1986 Member+

Jan 27, 2014
    Club:
    Manchester United FC

None just what we are hearing here in the Twin Cities - All sources close to the situation. Apparently Bayern flew in to watch him during the latest Spain trip.

9. comoesa

comoesa Member+

Aug 13, 2010
    Christen Press's armpit
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    But do you have a MSL club in your state or the even the next one? Can you meet the HG requirements in a reasonable manner. I mean playing professional soccer here is hard.

10. Dave Marino-Nachison

Jun 9, 1999
    Sure, I suppose. Perhaps we can agree that the question of whether navigating the domestic professional scene is more or less difficult than obtaining a suitable opportunity in a foreign country is difficult to generalize across or, said another way, different for each player.

11. Clint Eastwood

Clint Eastwood Member+

Dec 23, 2003
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Both hard.

I don't know why MLS wouldn't approach Akale about a potential GenAd deal. He could then enter the league in a lottery like Gil did. [Maybe they already approached him to gauge his interest, and he said no.]

People keep saying that "Big Club X" or "Massive Club Y" are interested in Akale. That's great. Interest is just interest, though. Clubs were "interested" in Stefan Jerome. Until one of them actually wants Akale to put pen to paper, its nothing more than that.

The whole "can't sign abroad until you're 18" shtick really puts prospects like Mukwelle stuck right in the middle of the US soccer "dead zone" for a year. The only high level games he's getting are presumably with the US U18s. What is he doing when he's not with the U18s?

12. Giggsy1986

Giggsy1986 Member+

Jan 27, 2014
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    The problem is there is no rush for him to sign anywhere at this point, he can't go train there anyways. He'll get better training opportunities with the National Teams then a random two week training stint.

I think the Chicago Fire are really missing out on not creating a partnership with any of the MN DA's - You have Shattuck St. Marys kids and players like Mukwelle and Jackson completely un-attached.

13. soccerndo

soccerndo Member

Jan 16, 2012
    Club:
    AC Milan
    You and your comparisons, first it was Adrian Ruelas' scenario now it is Stefan Jerome's. Question for you, have you seen this kid play?

14. Clint Eastwood

Clint Eastwood Member+

Dec 23, 2003
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Akwelle.................yes, a lot with youth teams. Never with clubs team.

I'm not making any comparison regarding ability level with Jerome and Akale. All I was implying was that teams like Bayern, Leverkusen, and Newcastle were reportedly "interested" in Jerome. But's all it was. They scouted him heavily and decided to go elsewhere. We're hearing "big clubs" are interested in Akale, which is great. "Interest" however doesn't pay the bills.

Let's hope he signs on with a club shortly so that his career is moving forward. Even though Junior Flores and Rubio Rubin couldn't go to their clubs in Europe until they were 18, their clubs put them on a plan of what to do for the intervening period. I just worry about a player like Akele stalling in his development while he's in this post-U17s and pre-professional period.

15. Giggsy1986

Giggsy1986 Member+

Jan 27, 2014
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    I'm really interested in seeing Mukwelle against full professionals... he should have easily had three assists last night and a little unlucky with the post. His decision making and vision are very Un-American.

16. gunnerfan7

gunnerfan7 Member+

San Jose Earthquakes
    United States
    Jul 22, 2012
    Santa Cruz, California
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm sure as we keep getting better at developing talent, this won't be something that people say about our players. This is a guy that grew up playing soccer in the States, and it's partially a testament to a positive soccer environment that he's been able to show such traits. Not sure if that makes sense, but what I'm trying to say is, those traits will eventually become the norm among top US prospects, just as they are for top players in other countries.

17. StrikerX4

StrikerX4 Member

Jun 16, 2011
    Lawrence, NJ
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    What you say makes sense.

It's actually really unfortunate that our OWN fans still want to dismiss "American soccer" as being poor technically. We are producing good prospects now, and our growth in the last 20 years is immense. I know that the perception of American as hard-working lunks will prevail overseas for awhile, until we see successes in the pro ranks, but it is disheartening to me that Americans themselves continue to hold this view.

Dirt McGirt repped this.
  18. soccerndo

soccerndo Member

Jan 16, 2012
    Club:
    AC Milan
    I do commend the honesty of Giggsy1986. Truth isn't pretty sometimes. Being a true fan is telling it like it is though it was hard to swallow. Kudos to Giggsy1986.

19. Giggsy1986

Giggsy1986 Member+

Jan 27, 2014
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    I think it needs to be said - We haven't even come close when it comes to developing a true #10. If you look at some of our top prospects Rubio Rubin included his largest weakness is his vision. To have the vision that Mukwelle has at the level he is playing at does not come around often the timing and pace of a pass is an absolute art and that is an art the mass majority of players do not have. Part of the reason Mukwelle won Player of the Tournament in the Canary Islands was his ability to create for others which was recognized by the voters. #10's don't come around often.... he has a chance.

20. SUDano

SUDano Member+

Jan 18, 2003
    Rochester, NY
    Let's not rush this thing too much, he still looks like he's 5-4 and 120, he could break if playing against 'full sized professionals'

21. UofIneedssoccer

Nov 3, 2009
    Club:
    Rochester Rhinos
    I have seen this kid play maybe 5 or 6 times this past year could you tell me what am I missing. Like him but a pro not yet. I hope but we shall see

22. gunnerfan7

gunnerfan7 Member+

San Jose Earthquakes
    United States
    Jul 22, 2012
    Santa Cruz, California
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I took exception to the phrase "Un-American". We may not have developed a true #10, but many teams don't have one. They're very rare, like you say. I don't like the phrase that you used because I think it implies that somehow the nationality of the player is something that prevents him from doing something. It comes down to coaching, work ethic, and natural talent, no matter the birthplace.

UcIceD2011 repped this.
  23. UcIceD2011

UcIceD2011 Member+

Jul 10, 2011
    Nor Cal
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I know
    I was going to post something to this effect but decided against it. I totally agree with you. It's not that we have anything against what he is saying but the way people, especially other US fans, use it is it implies that we can't create those types of players. For example, sometimes when people talk about Agudelo they say he has an "un-American" game and I always wonder what that means. It just seems like another way to not give respect to the advances of American players/prospects.

24. Peretz48

Peretz48 Member+

Nov 9, 2003
    Los Angeles
    This is the first time (against Mexico) I've seen him in person. He's really slight of build, and will have to get much stronger. I don't think he'll grow much more, so those are limiting factors. That said, I can see the interest in him. Nice quickness, acceleration, good vision, sent nice balls through, he's definitely got some tools. His physical development is the question. We shall see...

25. soccerndo

soccerndo Member

Jan 16, 2012
    Club:
    AC Milan
    There are many things that go into play when people embark on following dreams of becoming professional soccer players. The few that come to mind are:- You must be skilled, have a good work ethic and be a tad lucky. There is one thing going for this kid and that is, he is lucky SUDano will never be a part of the decision makers on his career.