News: Mother of Exiles

Discussion in 'Women's Rivalry Forum' started by jocasta, Aug 12, 2011.

1. mumf

mumf Member+

Nov 7, 2008
    Too late, but can you give some commentary ? I assume a lop-sided score.

2. Micol

Micol Member+

Sep 16, 2008
    I only caught a few minutes of what I thought was the end of the match, but it seems it was just the end of the first half. :rolleyes:

France won 4-1, but it was Wales who scored the first goal and France didn't equalise until just before half time. From UEFA.com:

3. mumf

mumf Member+

Nov 7, 2008
    I have video highlights here - warning - this is a WSU clip and turning the volume down 100% is my recommendation.

4. shlj

shlj Member+

Apr 16, 2007
    London
    Club:
    FC Nantes
    Nat'l Team:
    France
    Loren Dykes, plays for Bristol Academy up front or on the wing, played at right back for Wales today. Basically we just didn't really turn up for the fist few minutes, conceded a stupid goal and then had an attack v defense game, for most of the game. If you watched the anthems you saw me :p I have been sent a screencaps and they zoomed on me.

5. Micol

Micol Member+

Sep 16, 2008
    Oh, goodness. Switzerland is playing their Euro qualifier in Spain today.

Goalie 1 Brunner is out with a finger injury.
    Goalie 2 Oehrli was injured for weeks and not in the squad.
    Goalie 3 Thalmann hasn't been getting a lot of playing time in her club recently.
    Goalie 4 Küffer is 19 and has international experience only at junior level.

Goalie 3 Thalmann was to start, with
    Goalie 4 Küffer on the bench.

Goalie 3 Thalmann hurt her knee and it's doubtful whether she'll be fit.

Goalie 4 Küffer will probably get to start if Thalmann isn't fit.
    Goalie 2 Oehrli has been called up at short notice to sit on the bench.

And Switzerland really wanted to play well today to maintain their chances for the runner-up rank in their group.

:rolleyes:

6. Micol

Micol Member+

Sep 16, 2008
    Also, Swiss international Noémie Beney, who played for Saarbrücken last year, is probably having to end her career at 26. She's had a knee injury since last December which isn't really getting better. :(

7. Micol

Micol Member+

Sep 16, 2008
    News from Africa: Cameroon won their penalty shootout against Nigeria, and thus are qualified for the Olympics (together with South Africa). Nigeria are out.

8. H.Solo

H.Solo New Member

Oct 23, 2011
    Club:
    --other--
    Fantastic Video from WSU, thanks for the link!
    I was unable to watch the game live, so I'm pleased websites like WSU takes the time to make put up video highlights.
    I see France created a lot of chances in the match and it looks like the Welsh keeper, Davies had a great game.

9. Smulan

Smulan Member

Apr 3, 2008
    Must have been the lesbian orgy in the changing room that caused God to forsake them.

10. Micol

Micol Member+

Sep 16, 2008
    Hmm... when I first posted above, I was going to draw a parallel between Germany and Nigeria both missing the Olympics, but this... :confused::cool:

11. keepitreal1066

keepitreal1066 New Member

Oct 23, 2011
    To find information let alone video highlights about women's soccer is very hard,so I take my hat of to womens soccer united for the great content they have on their website.If we are to push the women's game forward to the whole world we should embrace sites like this one,thank you wsu:):)

12. mumf

mumf Member+

Nov 7, 2008
    I do too, there are some new internationals up there today. But many or perhaps most of the choices of editing music are to a consistent narrow taste, a genre like the video above.

Anyway just saw this video of today's Spain v Swiss game. One goal features 4 fresh-airs, another features a 4-woman trick. If there is an EU qual forum somewhere, please feel free to copy+paste to it.

13. Katreus

Katreus Member

Jul 3, 2011
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Source

Ella Masar is on contract to PSG until June. Condolences to the Masar family. This is a horrible thing to have happened. :(

I know that PSG has the round of 16 CL game in roughly a week against Frankfurt. People familiar with the French league, what's likely to happen re: Masar?

14. kool-aide

kool-aide Member+

Feb 1, 2002
    a van by the river
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Here's Masar's last tweet:

Condolences & prayers for the Masar family. :(

15. welshfan

welshfan Member

Dec 4, 2005
    Club:
    Olympique Lyonnais
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Decency would make PSG considering her pain during those sad moments and release her temporarily so that she can fly home to honor her dad. And that's probably what they will do. But then, as she's under contract, she's also supposed to be back at some point of the season.

That's what happened last summer when France 3rd keeper Laëtitia Philippe had to leave Germany to burry her dad. Different situation, as she did not come back by the end of the tournament.

Olympique Lyonnais were supposed to face them on Sunday, and a few fans heard rumours that PSG wanted to postpone the game. Maybe it's the reason why...

16. mumf

mumf Member+

Nov 7, 2008
    Wow, so both Europe's and Africa's biggest pedigree teams will not even make it to London.

17. Smulan

Smulan Member

Apr 3, 2008
    Or Glasgow. Or Newcastle. Or any of the other Olympic football venues. (Sorry, Micol - just stating the facts, not trying to rub it in or anything.)

18. Katreus

Katreus Member

Jul 3, 2011
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  19. shlj

shlj Member+

Apr 16, 2007
    London
    Club:
    FC Nantes
    Nat'l Team:
    France
  20. Micol

Micol Member+

Sep 16, 2008
    FIFA reports that Nigeria have fired their coach, Eugenia Uche.

*sits on hands*

21. Smulan

Smulan Member

Apr 3, 2008
    The Lord gave, and the Lord hath taken away.

*jazz hands*

22. shlj

shlj Member+

Apr 16, 2007
    London
    Club:
    FC Nantes
    Nat'l Team:
    France
    Shame there is too much to translate, the fail when they go to a commercial break and you can still hear them is very funny.

23. Katreus

Katreus Member

Jul 3, 2011
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yeah, I figured! It's a little long when clocking in at just a bit under an hour. (The part where they do a gazillion rewind stop and start special effects is funny too.) Thanks anyway!

24. Micol

Micol Member+

Sep 16, 2008
    womensoccer.de reports that the contract of her German advisor/assistant coach Thomas Obliers hasn't been extended either. And that ex-internationals Mercy Akide and Florence Omagbemi are interested in taking over as a coaching team.

Do we know anything about their... how to put it... concept of team dynamics? :cool: