News: Mother of Exiles

Discussion in 'Women's Rivalry Forum' started by jocasta, Aug 12, 2011.

1. shlj

shlj Member+

Apr 16, 2007
    London
    Club:
    FC Nantes
    Nat'l Team:
    France
    The commentator says there is a handball.
    I think it was a shirt pull actually. I do remember a facebook status from one of the Montpellier player in the line of " Cindy sale pute". Cindy being the first name of that referee and sale pute can be loosely translated as ********ing bitch in the context.

2. Micol

Micol Member+

Sep 16, 2008
    Latest rumours have Grings going to Russian champion FK Rossiyanka and earning the second highest salary worldwide after Marta.

3. mumf

mumf Member+

Nov 7, 2008
    You obviously dont see a handball, and neither could I, except possibly by PSG.

And do actually you see a shirt-pull ? Or any player unable to move ?

4. shlj

shlj Member+

Apr 16, 2007
    London
    Club:
    FC Nantes
    Nat'l Team:
    France
    I have seen a match report at the time saying shirt pull. I see nothing special on the video to be honest but there isn't much protest from the Montpellier players. Normally you would expect players to be around the referee aggresively but there is not much aggro here. I know someone got yellow carded for the foul though, so the referee must have seen something.

5. Micol

Micol Member+

Sep 16, 2008
    Belgium and the Netherlands are playing their very own Champions' League: According to fansoccer.de, Dutch champion Twente and Belgian Champion Liège will compete for the very first "BeNe-Supercup" in Venlo (NL) next Tuesday 30 August.

And the good news is, of course, that the Netherlands still have a league, with as many as seven clubs.

6. JanBalk

JanBalk Member+

Jun 9, 2004
    They seems to be on a recruitment drive
    http://www.dn.se/sport/fotboll/spelarflykt-mot-ost (only swedish, sorry)
    They are rumored to be after at least Sofia Jakobsson, Charlotte Rohlin and Jessica Landström all of them Swedish WNT players from Damallsvenskan. Sofia Jakobsson have confirmed getting an offer from them(in other news).

7. shlj

shlj Member+

Apr 16, 2007
    London
    Club:
    FC Nantes
    Nat'l Team:
    France
    They have a new French coach and a lot of money.

8. mumf

mumf Member+

Nov 7, 2008
    Not a league game, but the countries are right - this is a video of a recent friendly France v Poland - here - Poland has a very good GK, see for yourself.

Also France got a 18.5k fans, impressive for a friendly - per UEFA

9. mumf

mumf Member+

Nov 7, 2008
    This time with the correct link for the UEFA comment.

10. Micol

Micol Member+

Sep 16, 2008
    Hopp Schwyz: Inka Grings and Sonja Fuss are transferring to FC Zurich Frauen as of 1 September.

They also had an attractive offer from Russia, they said, but Switzerland offers them better job perspectives, is closer to their families. does not present the language problem Russia would have presented, and makes it easier for Grings to play on the national team. Zurich put the offer together with support from a "sports mentoring agency".

Oh. My. God. :eek:

Have they seen a match... any match... in the Swiss league? :confused:

(And no, before you ask, Zurich are not playing Champions League this season. They may next year; after three rounds they are currently leading the ranking together with Basel.)

Well, Zurich is a nice place to live if you've got the money, and Swiss chocolate is the best...

*gulp*

11. lockhart_13

lockhart_13 Member

Sep 27, 2007
    Dallas, TX
    I can understand it if it sets them up for a life they really want after football, which is coming up quickly for them. It sounds like Inka wants to hang on as an international for a while longer. How well that will go for her I don't know.

12. Micol

Micol Member+

Sep 16, 2008
    Well.

Fuss is an architect who has been working in her father's architectural firm in Cologne.

Grings is studying to be a personal and fitness trainer, and she says that Zurich cooperate with a number of fitness studios where she can get some practice.

Hard to believe that this move is the one big chance for them to build their future after football.

In addition to practising and playing with the Zurich women, she'll also practise with the men "so that I have a bigger challenge and remain of interest for the national team".

It's all a bit odd. Maybe Lyon weren't offering what they had hoped for, they couldn't face going to Russia, and so Zurich was the next best option if they wanted to play at all this season?

13. kool-aide

kool-aide Member+

Feb 1, 2002
    a van by the river
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I figured the "big money" (big being relative) would be the Russian team and not the Swiss one. From the total outside, this move does seem to be a "no one else wanted me" move. But I'm far, far from knowledgeable about the Swiss league or Euro soccer in general...

14. JanBalk

JanBalk Member+

Jun 9, 2004
    Good thinking, just playing in the Swiss Leuage wouldn't be enough this may be.

15. JanBalk

JanBalk Member+

Jun 9, 2004
    Well, Russia probably offered more. But I never heard of a Pro in Switzerland (and there are more than few Sweds there, mainly mens Icehockey) but I heard quite a lot of Pro in Russia not getting their payment in time or at all (and we have a bunch there to, mainly men in Bandy or Icehockey).
    So the pay may be better in Russia but it sure are safer that you actaullay get paid in Switzerland.

16. kool-aide

kool-aide Member+

Feb 1, 2002
    a van by the river
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Gotcha.

17. Smulan

Smulan Member

Apr 3, 2008
    And not a "nobody wanted my personal translator" move? (Yes, yes... I'm off back to Eurotrash... :rolleyes:)

18. Bonnie Lass

Bonnie Lass Moderator
    Staff Member

Lyon
    Norway
    Oct 20, 2000
    Up top
    Club:
    Olympique Lyonnais
    That was my first thought, too.

19. Micol

Micol Member+

Sep 16, 2008
    Ex-Kiwi women's coach John Herdman replacing Carolina Morace in Canada.

And Japan beat Thailand 3-0 in the Asian Cup yesterday, with key players like Sawa being rested for the tougher matches to come. Highlights are well worth watching:

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9Bm6313koBM"]???????? ??? ????????vs?? ?????? - YouTube[/ame]

20. Micol

Micol Member+

Sep 16, 2008
    And here is quite a long interview with Lara Dickenmann (in German) about playing in Lyon, her life in France, the Swiss national team, and her personal ambitions.

She explains that she no longer is captain of the Swiss national team because it doesn't quite fit with her character; she is not too good at directing a team verbally. (Caroline Abbé now replaces her, who I think is a good choice for that role.)

She also says that the new Lyon coach (well, not so new anymore) only wants foreigners on the team who are better than the French.

21. JanBalk

JanBalk Member+

Jun 9, 2004
    That is a good policy, if you have unlimited funds.
    The one all professional teams should be run after is rather
    "only have foreigners on the team if they are better than the domestic players, or as good and lesse expensive."
    Paying more for the same quality is not a good way to run a professional club, unless it made up for them drawing more spectators.

22. kool-aide

kool-aide Member+

Feb 1, 2002
    a van by the river
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Thanks for posting. I quite enjoyed that first goal.

eta: It seems Danesha Adams has gone to Norway to join Medkila IL.

23. Micol

Micol Member+

Sep 16, 2008
    From that link:
    Here is a question for you: North Korea are currently playing the Asian Olympics qualifiers and, if successful, will play in the Olympics. But I guess the above-mentioned players are not allowed to play in those matches?

If that's the case, aren't the players being punished twice (Olympics and WWC), while the country is punished only once? Does that seem fair?

24. mumf

mumf Member+

Nov 7, 2008
    Well, usually taking drugs is a decision of the individual. Sure, 5 of them is a bit suspicious. But the proof is against the 5, not the counrty, as a policy.

25. Micol

Micol Member+

Sep 16, 2008
    I was going to make you guess in which European country I watched a league match today:

• great food and drink (probably the best chips I've ever had in a stadium)
    • very friendly and polite service
    • chaotic stadium organisation
    • (very) dirty seats
    Any idea?

It was impossible to find the seat which was beautifully printed on my ticket. When I finally found the only person in the stadium who was wearing a fluorescent vest (and wasn't a substitute player) and told him that I didn't understand the system, he said the "system" today was to find yourself a nice seat and not bother about the numbers. There weren't going to be that many people. (Apparently, 9,000 in the end - it didn't look quite that many.)

When the match started, I wondered whether I should have bothered. The difference in performance between the two teams was huge. The crowd cheered every time the home team got the ball (I exaggerate only slightly), and it didn't take long before the first couple of goals were scored.

But over time, everyone (including me) learned to appreciate not only the brave attempts of the home team but also the (very much expected) great performance of the other team, so as a neutral spectator you really couldn't lose. And it got quite dramatic, too: about 30 minutes before the end, the home keeper got injured and had to come off ten minutes later, but they didn't have a substitute goalie. So one of the field players had to put on the shirt - and, seriously, she made a few good saves, was very confident, and seemed no worse than the "real" goalie. (Indeed, they seem to have only one goalie in their squad. That is quite worrying.)

Seriously, though: When they play against each other during practice throughout the week, that must be more challenging for them than what they get to play in the league. Does that feel great, to walk over opponents that way on a regular basis, or does it get boring over time? :confused:

My runner-up highlight of the day: Elodie Thomis (who was closest to where I was in both halves, because I moved at half time to be closer to the goal where the action was) wasn't just running but also playing. That was quite a surprise! :p

My highlight of the day, hands down: Vendenheim's No. 4, who not only stopped Thomis many times (although she did not quite manage to outrun her) but also did plenty of other wonderful things to avoid the score getting even higher than 0-10 and probably got the most applause of all individual players. Her name is Kadidia Diawara (she definitely deserves to be made more googleable!), and she is from Mali. FIFA has her down for three international caps in 2003. Dear Frauen-Bundesliga, have a look at this lady.

And to think that I almost would have missed all of this if I hadn't discovered yesterday entirely by chance that the match was today and not, as I had been assuming for weeks, tomorrow. Thank you, Chance! ;)

(Oh, and they did apologise for the dirty seats.)