News: Mother of Exiles

Discussion in 'Women's Rivalry Forum' started by jocasta, Aug 12, 2011.

1. shlj

shlj Member+

Apr 16, 2007
    London
    Club:
    FC Nantes
    Nat'l Team:
    France
  2. Micol

Micol Member+

Sep 16, 2008
    Swiss cup final SC Kriens - FC Zurich live on TV at 9pm CEST tonight (90 mins from now), and a stream will be available here (shouldn't be geoblocked): http://www.schweizersportfernsehen.ch/ssf/start.asp?
    Inka Grings and Sonja Fuss should be part of the Zurich side.

3. Micol

Micol Member+

Sep 16, 2008
    Wow, that was easily the best game I've ever seen Swiss clubs play (and that's not because I've seen so few ;)). It went into extra time because Kriens (losing 0-1 since a Grings goal just before half time) fought like hell towards the end of the game, throwing everything forward and finally scoring the equaliser in the fourth minute of injury time - inmidst of pouring rain and thunderstorm, an appropriate backdrop for what was happening on the field. Then in extra time, Zurich managed to get ahead again (which was certainly deserved considering the game overall, they were better individually), and this time Kriens didn't have the little bit of luck it would have taken for them to score on the few chances they got. But they definitely made it a lot harder for the Zurich girls than most people would have expected. And my little national team favourite Lara Keller had a fantastic game, as did Kriens goalie Nadine Böni, just turned 18 and definitely a hope for the national team in future (do people still grow at 18...?). Grings looked genuinely happy and excited and was up there lifting the cup, celebrating and chanting with the best of them. Everyone agrees that she's good for Swiss football because she helps the younger players grow, but it seems that Swiss football also agrees with her.

4. debzy

debzy Member+

May 26, 2009
    paris
    Club:
    Paris Saint Germain FC
    Nat'l Team:
    France
  5. mumf

mumf Member+

Nov 7, 2008
    Sorry I missed it Micol..... but I can almost feel the cramps......

6. Micol

Micol Member+

Sep 16, 2008
    :D

I forgot to mention the pre-match interview. Zurich coach Tsawa was asked whether there was anything special about this cup final. I expected some professional media blabla along the lines of "good season but of course a final is always special blabla", but he said, "Yes, the team had dinner together, paid for by a sponsor, before we went to the stadium for the match". Bless him. Bless Swiss football.

(Only one cramp though. They held up amazingly well.)

7. mumf

mumf Member+

Nov 7, 2008
    The cramp in the calf due to exhaustion is........both agony and instant disability. Its quite bizarre to be helpless, and then that treatment you see where another player grabs the foot and yanks it to stretch the muscle - is instant relief - the disabled can suddenly walk again. There may be acting in soccer, but with cramps, the miracle is perfectly real. In heavy rain - yes it is amazing to get just one in a 120-minute game.

8. Micol

Micol Member+

Sep 16, 2008
  9. Micol

Micol Member+

Sep 16, 2008
    Italy needs a new national team coach; Pietro Ghedin is taking over Malta's men.

Anybody interested? Pia looking for a new job? Carolina Morace?

10. Lusankya

Lusankya Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 14, 2007
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
  11. welshfan

welshfan Member

Dec 4, 2005
    Club:
    Olympique Lyonnais
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Lyon won the Coupe de France defeating Montpellier 2-1. Lotta Schelin scored both goals.

12. Micol

Micol Member+

Sep 16, 2008
    Here are the goals, as well as a short interview with Lotta speaking quite an impressive French.

13. Micol

Micol Member+

Sep 16, 2008
    Nope, Italy's new national team coach is Antonio Cabrini. He won the World Cup as a player. No idea whether he has any experience in coaching women?

14. mumf

mumf Member+

Nov 7, 2008
    Wow, one would think he doesnt need a job that probably has no real prestige and little pay. I say, give him a chance. Wonder which World Cup was that? In the 80's maybe.

15. Smulan

Smulan Member

Apr 3, 2008
    Google is your friend, mumf. (Actually, it's not, it's following your every move, but still...)

16. shlj

shlj Member+

Apr 16, 2007
    London
    Club:
    FC Nantes
    Nat'l Team:
    France
    He was a fantastic left back running down the wing, tackling...

17. gricio61

gricio61 Member

Aug 30, 2011
    bologna
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    Micol, I wrote something about Cabrini's training experience in the "Women's league in Italy" thread (Women's International)...about this choice, most of the people think that the Federation likes better to have a "famous trainer" (who helps improving the visibility of the women's soccer among sponsors and media) rather than a "good trainer", so that some journalist is asking now for an assistant trainer to help him, somebody already into the women football world... :unsure:
    We'll see, next NT duty is 16th of June againt Macedonia, Euro2013 qualifying...

Micol repped this.
  18. Micol

Micol Member+

Sep 16, 2008
    Thank you gricio! Let's see how it goes...

In the meantime, Swiss international and Grasshoppers Zurich captain Daniela Schwarz is transferring to Kolbotn in Norway. I haven't seen her play very often, she hasn't been getting much playing time on the national team recently. But I sat next to her father at a match a few years ago, we chatted a bit, he seemed a very nice guy and I've had a soft spot for her ever since. So all the best to her!

19. Micol

Micol Member+

Sep 16, 2008
    PSG seem to be after a couple of OL players: According to this article, they'd like to sign Abily, Bompastor, Nécib and Schelin. Well, good luck!

20. mumf

mumf Member+

Nov 7, 2008
    That surely means more $ is flooding in to the French game? I dont know who is aware, but the victory of Manchester City in the English Premier league was a sensation - in Dubai, which is where the money came from. As far as I recall, PSG has a large financial investment from those parts already. Given that the WPS just gave up the ghost here, it is refreshing news.

21. shlj

shlj Member+

Apr 16, 2007
    London
    Club:
    FC Nantes
    Nat'l Team:
    France
    Schelin and Bompastor apparently are not interested. The one that could happen is Necib who is out of contract by the end of June.

22. Micol

Micol Member+

Sep 16, 2008
    I've been meaning to ask why Nécib was on the bench against Potsdam?

23. shlj

shlj Member+

Apr 16, 2007
    London
    Club:
    FC Nantes
    Nat'l Team:
    France
    Work rate orientated decision is my guess. For all her technical brilliance, she is not the strongest player and won't get stuck in...in general

24. gricio61

gricio61 Member

Aug 30, 2011
    bologna
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    German 19yo player Valentina Maceri (obviously of italian origin) just signed with Verona; the girl last year played in 2BL with Crailsheim, and was part of the U17NT in the past too. :thumbsup:
    Source (with photo): http://www.cfbardolino.com/ultime-news.php?id=2405

25. shlj

shlj Member+

Apr 16, 2007
    London
    Club:
    FC Nantes
    Nat'l Team:
    France
    Lyon win the league and does the treble with a 3-0 away win at Arch rivals Juvisy.
    And straightaway the transfer window opens and it will be a BIG one this summer.
    First one Bussaglia from PSG to OL.
    Numerous rumours send Necib, Georges and Bretigny the other way...And also Rosana going back to Brazil.