Most comical defender in English top flight?

Discussion in 'Premier League' started by dustcowpoke, Jun 4, 2013.

1. dustcowpoke

dustcowpoke Member

Jan 7, 2006
    Houston, TX
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Who is the biggest numpty defender in the top two English divisions? I'm talking about defenders who somehow manage to keep a spot on the squad yet they are so horrible it could make you laugh.

I'm thinking Titus Bramble, Zat Knight, or maybe Mario Melchiot might take the cake.

2. s7kru

s7kru Red Card

Dec 13, 2012
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Per Mertesacker.

Such a slow, terrible defender.

3. Serengeti_Boy

Serengeti_Boy Member+

Sep 15, 2009
    Serengeti, East Africa
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Tanzania
    Wrong. You clearly don't watch the BPL. He and Koscielny have been rock solid since January.

Titus Bramble wins this obviously, he's given me extra years through laughter!

4. s7kru

s7kru Red Card

Dec 13, 2012
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Go rewatch the The Spurs game if you know what I mean. You're probably his fanboy, but seriously the man lacks speed even for a defender.

5. Serengeti_Boy

Serengeti_Boy Member+

Sep 15, 2009
    Serengeti, East Africa
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Tanzania
    Lol Far from a fanboy fellah. I did not disagree that he's slow nor did I claim he's "Teh Best CB evah". I'm just saying He's not as bad of a defender as you claim. He's got organization and tactical skills. And to stay on topic, the mistakes he has made are not comical at all compared to the Titus Bramble, Zat Knight, Cygan of the past etc. so I don't know why you would bring up his name.

6. s7kru

s7kru Red Card

Dec 13, 2012
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    well, I'm obviously talking about this season and to me he's one of the worst - or even the worst - defender of the EPL because he's so fcukin slow.

7. Serengeti_Boy

Serengeti_Boy Member+

Sep 15, 2009
    Serengeti, East Africa
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Tanzania
    I'm not going to reply to this, will just leave it there for others to see how ridiculous your opinions are.

8. s7kru

s7kru Red Card

Dec 13, 2012
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Be my guest.

9. stokiejoeofalsager

stokiejoeofalsager New Member

Sep 3, 2011
    england
    Club:
    Stoke City FC
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    I'd like to (surprisingly) stick up for mr arsenal here. Mertesacker is an old school defender. Centre backs dont need pace, just good organisation skills, to be good in the tackle and be able to head the ball. He isn't the best defender in the league by any stretch of the imagination, but he's never in a million years the worst, or the most comical. He's probably one of the least comical actually. No-nonsense.

Anyway. David luiz... His hair's pretty comical :D or titus bramble in defensive terms.

Serengeti_Boy repped this.
  10. s7kru

s7kru Red Card

Dec 13, 2012
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    [​IMG]

Priceless.

Blueallthru repped this.
  11. Iowa Iron

Iowa Iron New Member

Jun 16, 2013
    Club:
    West Ham United FC
    Matthew Upson rates pretty highly on this list for me. Usually went hiding and he was supposedly a captain.

12. BigEffingGooner

BigEffingGooner Member+

Apr 25, 2012
    Austin, Tx
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy

Then you are an idiot. He may not be world class, but he was one of the better defenders in the entire league, and one of the players of the year for the Arsenal this year - and that on a team that was second in goals allowed, and got their top 4 spot based on defensive performance down the stretch run.

13. s7kru

s7kru Red Card

Dec 13, 2012
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    then you're an stats loving idiot. He's slow, very slow, and that's an disadvantage for defenders in the EPL. Imo he is one of the weakest defenders of the EPL.

14. BigEffingGooner

BigEffingGooner Member+

Apr 25, 2012
    Austin, Tx
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy

It has nothing to do with stats, it has to do with watching matches. I am an Arsenal supporter, I saw nearly every match we played this year. He was the rock of our defense, rightfully started virtually every match. When you play that much throughout the course of a season you will have a bad moment here and there that can be pointed out, but he held our defense together and helped us to our position. When we tried playing TV + Kos it was shamballic. BFG (Per) solidified and organised our squad and led us to where we got. It may not be where we would like to be, but we wouldn't have done even this well without him.

15. s7kru

s7kru Red Card

Dec 13, 2012
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Then why do you ''support'' Juventus?

16. BigEffingGooner

BigEffingGooner Member+

Apr 25, 2012
    Austin, Tx
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy

Different league ... they are the two teams I support, for different reasons. Being second generation Italian-American I am passionate for my Italian heritage, and have family ties to Juve support. However there is a very large local Arsenal supporters group I am actively involved with, and I love the Gunners equally, or even more passionately.

17. s7kru

s7kru Red Card

Dec 13, 2012
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Interesting.

I also support 2 teams, Real Madrid and Galatasaray. Post this in our forum and some of our members will go mad because they can't accept the situation where one supports 2 different clubs from 2 different competitions.

18. BigEffingGooner

BigEffingGooner Member+

Apr 25, 2012
    Austin, Tx
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    ... and just for the record I will say that I thought Mertesacker was pretty terrible in 2011-12, in FIFA at the begining of this year I sold him, I was not a fan going into the year, and I was upset early on that he was being given a spot when I wanted to see if TV and Kos could form a partnership.

I was proved wrong. Merte was huge for us this year, one of our most important players, and certainly our most consistent. He seriously was the rock that held us together throughout the year. I still give our player of the year to Santi, but Merte is probably second on the list to me. Koscielny was huge down the stretch, and was possibly our best player in the run in to finish the year, but he started pretty poorly whereas Merte was our rock throughout the year.

19. s7kru

s7kru Red Card

Dec 13, 2012
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    agree to disagree.

Koscielny was your best defender in 2013 imo, he was inconsistent at the beginning though.

20. BigEffingGooner

BigEffingGooner Member+

Apr 25, 2012
    Austin, Tx
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    That just shows that you didn't watch much of us this year. He was probably our best player in the end of the season, but there was a time he could hardly get a game, and he was poor and the start of the season Per was a rock throughout.

21. s7kru

s7kru Red Card

Dec 13, 2012
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    And that ''time'' were some of the matches he played in the first half of 2012/13. Don't fool yourself, man.

Let's see what happens next season.

22. Brian Chenault

Jul 6, 2013
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    a thread like this should have youtube videos of defender mistakes shame on you all for not providing that.:p

23. Breitner'sWig

Breitner'sWig Member

Apr 24, 2012
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Tony Popovic and Frank Sinclair were OG masters but nothing will ever beat the horror show of a Bramble-Boumsong partnership. I'm not even a newcastle fan but they used to make my palms sweat. I can only assume Boumsong ended up at Juve and France afterwards because Bramble made him look steady.

Down in the Championship Gareth Bale at left back was awful.

24. newcastle_brown

newcastle_brown New Member

Sep 3, 2013
    far outside the wire
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    i'll put jonny evans up for consideration here. combines the haplessness of wes brown with the ineptitude of mikael silvestre. maybe he just seems worse playing on the team i support...

even while stumbling he manages to finish:

25. WilliamTaylor

WilliamTaylor Member

Aug 23, 2013
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Titus Bramble, but Senderos is up there too.