More . . . Stuff from other MLS Teams

Discussion in 'Real Salt Lake' started by Ismitje, Mar 1, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. SenordrummeR2

SenordrummeR2 Member+

Jul 21, 2008
    Layton, UT
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yep. I thought I'd entered an alternate reality when the MLS Match Day app reported that both TFC and Chivas had won in the same weekend.

2. Boz

Boz RSL Family

Jul 14, 2004
    Club:
    --other--
    I was going to watch MLS GotW but then I was like... nah.

:cry:

3. ShaggyReAL

ShaggyReAL Awesome is my middle name

Dec 9, 2009
    Salt Lake
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Same here. I had 21 goals scored for the week as well.

4. Ismitje

Ismitje Super Moderator

Dec 30, 2000
    The Palouse
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I don't know what to do about that figure in Boz's avatar. I worry about nightmares this evening.

Boz repped this.
  5. Free Glass

Free Glass Member

Apr 10, 2011
    Club:
    CF Rayados de Monterrey
    Hmh. It'd be interesting to see how it develops, though.
    There's definately some lower-tierd sides that could sometime see the upgrade...
    And if its about cities, there's still the case of London or Buenos Aires with an effload of clubs in the same metropolitan area.
    Or I mean, a Canadian Premier League could maybe let open opportunity for expansion!

I mean, in the end, the sport (and concacaf) would benefit from a country like Canada having their own league. Rich, culturally diverse, great landmass, wonderful cities, infrastructure, population, love for sport...
    The whole 'sharing a league' goes great for stuff like the NBA and MLB, sure. The same way England kinda includes Wales and would go great if they'd include Scotland as well... But for these two places, honestly, it'd just go over wonderfully if at some point that happened.

(...And if its cos of the level of play or some small football grounds in the lower tier, you just gotta look at the rest of concacaf cos I mean come on.)

6. Ivensor

Ivensor Member

Nov 10, 2011
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    It would be cool, but I don't see it happening anytime soon. The problem with comparing Canada to England or Argentina is that their population density is so much less. Canada has about half as many people in 77 times the landmass of England. So, getting enough support to keep teams going across the country would be really tough. Sure, some of the great cities like Toronto, Vancouver, and Montreal can support a team (or maybe even 2 or 3 in Toronto), but where else are you going to put a team? Maybe Calgary or Edmonton, but then you're about out of spots because most of Canada is empty. I think you'd end up with a small league of maybe 10 teams at most, all of which are really close to the U.S. geographically, so what's the point?

7. Allez RSL

Allez RSL Member+

Jun 20, 2007
    Home
    Well, if soccer magically became as popular in Canada as it is Europe you could have teams in Vancouver, Calgary, Edmonton, Winnipeg, Saskatoon (maybe...if the soccer-mad fans in Regina adopt the team as their own), Ottowa, Toronto, Hamilton, Quebec and Montreal. Double up in some of the bigger cities, and you've got a 14-15 team league.

But such a think won't happen for at least the next two or three generations, if ever. But it's not (completely) impossible, and if it did happen, it'd probably be better than the SPL.

8. Ivensor

Ivensor Member

Nov 10, 2011
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Maybe if global warming turns all the hockey rinks into soccer fields...;)

Allez RSL repped this.
  9. Allez RSL

Allez RSL Member+

Jun 20, 2007
    Home
    Amazingly, this isn't RFK:

10. RoyalNonesuch

RoyalNonesuch Member+

May 10, 2009
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Frank Zappa already nailed this one.

[​IMG]

11. 15 to 32

15 to 32 Straw Hog

Jul 1, 2008
    Salt Lake
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    are these guys retarded?
    Yeah, lets just go grab the badger - nothing bad could happen

12. Boz

Boz RSL Family

Jul 14, 2004
    Club:
    --other--
    Many of my friends would say that was more entertaining than the actual soccer game...

13. DrownedElf

DrownedElf Member+

Jul 5, 2010
    Ogden
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Isn't that one of the cRapids' many mascots?

14. SenordrummeR2

SenordrummeR2 Member+

Jul 21, 2008
    Layton, UT
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

15. SenordrummeR2

SenordrummeR2 Member+

Jul 21, 2008
    Layton, UT
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Seattle plays Tigres in the CCL tonight. Seattle is down 1-0, but The Daily on mlssoccer.com is reporting that Tigres is sending a B team that has a combined 4 starts among 16 players in the current Liga MX season. Unless if Sigi trots out a B team, there's no reason Seattle shouldn't be able to pick up a win at the Clink and move on.

If Houston is able to pull of a win tomorrow against Santos (currently lead 1-0), there will potentially be an all MLS semi-final (they would play Seattle). If that happens, would both teams take it seriously, or would they trot out reserve teams?

16. 15 to 32

15 to 32 Straw Hog

Jul 1, 2008
    Salt Lake
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    1. Tigres is a damn good team. Their "reserves" aren't going to just bend over and let Seattle have their way. A road goal from them and that thing is a huge uphill battle.
    2. Montreal went into Seattle just a few weeks ago and laid the blueprint for how to beat them.
    3. Houston is up 1-0, great, but playing at Santos while trying to defend a lead isn't something that I would want to do. Seattle was up on them last year 2--0, weren't they? We all saw how that ended...

Honestly, I have money on just the oppostite - an All Mexican semi. LA will likely get past Herediano (though not going to be easy) and then they get Monterrey.

Put me down for a rematch of last years final

UPinSLC repped this.
  17. SenordrummeR2

SenordrummeR2 Member+

Jul 21, 2008
    Layton, UT
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I don't disagree with you on your points, but I think the outcomes could go either way. I think a Santos v Monterrey final is the sure bet. But the potential is there for any of the MLS teams to advance.
    1) Seattle held Tigres scoreless until the 74th minute. They fell asleep on a play similar to how DC scored on us last week. Playing at home, I see Seattle taking the lead and at least taking the game to overtime.
    2) No disagreement here.
    3) Seattle had a 2-1 lead. If I remember right, they didn't send their A team down to Santos. I don't see Kinnear doing the same. Santos was lucky to not have a 2nd goal scored on them. Houston is playing on a week's worth of rest, so they're A team should be ready to go. I see Houston going down with the same game plan and attacking the goal. Kinnear's gotta know he's not going to be able to defend a 1-0 lead for 90 minutes in Mexico.

18. 15 to 32

15 to 32 Straw Hog

Jul 1, 2008
    Salt Lake
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Tigres with an away goal
    Seattle now has to score 3 to win.

This thing is all but over

19. SenordrummeR2

SenordrummeR2 Member+

Jul 21, 2008
    Layton, UT
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Beat me to it. Eddie Johnson is terrible. He's missed 3 shots that should've been goals. Ochoa missed an open header as well. Seattle is showing just how much Montero did for them.

20. SenordrummeR2

SenordrummeR2 Member+

Jul 21, 2008
    Layton, UT
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Scrum in the box, keeper down, and Seattle still can't put it in. This is going to be like RSL losing to Monterrey.

21. SenordrummeR2

SenordrummeR2 Member+

Jul 21, 2008
    Layton, UT
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Viniegra gets a second yellow and Tigres is now down to 10 men. Maybe Seattle has a chance to come back now.

22. ShaggyReAL

ShaggyReAL Awesome is my middle name

Dec 9, 2009
    Salt Lake
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think I'd rather have Roy Miller than Sammy Ochoa!

23. SenordrummeR2

SenordrummeR2 Member+

Jul 21, 2008
    Layton, UT
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Sounders have pulled one back. Two more to go.

24. SenordrummeR2

SenordrummeR2 Member+

Jul 21, 2008
    Layton, UT
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    And like that Hurtado scores a rocket volley from about 30 yards out! That's goal of the week in MLS play. Seattle trails 3-2 on aggregate due to away goals.

25. SenordrummeR2

SenordrummeR2 Member+

Jul 21, 2008
    Layton, UT
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Zakuani nearly makes it 3-1.