More . . . Stuff from other MLS Teams

Discussion in 'Real Salt Lake' started by Ismitje, Mar 1, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. DrownedElf

DrownedElf Member+

Jul 5, 2010
    Ogden
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I half watched most of the game. Overall I thought he looked more dangerous offensively than he ever did for us. Might be a product of the formation and players around him, but I thought he looked better.

And yes, he should've done better with that one be blasted over the top from the 6. It wasn't the best attempt leaning back and stretching for it, but a light tap would've served him a lot better.

2. goobx1

goobx1 Member+

Jul 9, 2007
    Salt Lake
    Yup. Right in front of the net that was pretty wide open.

3. RoyalNonesuch

RoyalNonesuch Member+

May 10, 2009
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That's not a very flattering way to refer to Keane, McGee et al.

PumaJohnny repped this.
  4. pate

pate Member+

Jun 12, 2007
    Provo, UT
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    But where? 123 people would make BYU's Stadium at South Field look like an empty cavern.

5. 15 to 32

15 to 32 Straw Hog

Jul 1, 2008
    Salt Lake
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    San Diego and rebrand.
    Anywhere is better than the current Chivas USA situation. Seriously, anywhere

PumaJohnny repped this.
  6. SenordrummeR2

SenordrummeR2 Member+

Jul 21, 2008
    Layton, UT
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Jay Demerit tears his ACL 6 minutes into the Whitecaps season opener. Potentially out for the season.

Link.

7. UPinSLC

UPinSLC Member+

Jul 11, 2004
    SL,UT
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Just for clarification, he tore his Achilles, not his ACL. If it was his ACL he'd definitely be out for the season, with the Achilles there is a chance he can rehab it and be back by maybe September/October. ACL's these days are around 9-10 months, Achilles are around 6-8 months.

Poor guy, he's had a number of injuries over the last few years just keeping him out. I watched the game live and new he was toast as soon as he went down, he couldn't put any weight on it at all.

8. 15 to 32

15 to 32 Straw Hog

Jul 1, 2008
    Salt Lake
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm thinking he is closer to retiring than coming back, now.
    The guys just can't stay healthy over here and he is playing for a team that regularly plays/trains on turf.

9. SenordrummeR2

SenordrummeR2 Member+

Jul 21, 2008
    Layton, UT
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Good catch. My bad.

10. ShaggyReAL

ShaggyReAL Awesome is my middle name

Dec 9, 2009
    Salt Lake
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Question, how do you get rid of an ad that has no X to close it? I'm trying to watch the Santos-Houston match but every link has a video ad in the middle of the screen that never goes away??

edit: nevermind

11. RoyalNonesuch

RoyalNonesuch Member+

May 10, 2009
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Houston has a legit shot of winning the CCL (and MLS Cup). Their offense is more diverse than it was last year - set pieces are still a strength - they have depth and speed - their D is solid (despite last night's GK issues). Seriously, they can win this. I mean no disrespect to LA or Seattle, but Houston looks built to win the CCL.

Boz repped this.
  12. Boz

Boz RSL Family

Jul 14, 2004
    Club:
    --other--
    If San Diego landed an MLS franchise I'd instantly have a 2nd team (and an excuse to leave SLC). Oh, how I love San Diego...

13. Hungryjack

Hungryjack Member+

Jul 8, 2006
    Houston
    Going into Torreon with a 1 goal lead is still a really tall order. If Houston scores first next Wednesday, then yes I think they have a real shot, but I have seen Santos come back from some pretty incredible deficits at home. Dynamo are very much the underdogs in my opinion.

Thanks for the props to my team, by the way.

14. 15 to 32

15 to 32 Straw Hog

Jul 1, 2008
    Salt Lake
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    In my opinoin, no MLS team is safe going to Mexico without at least a 2 goal cushion (road goals don't matter in CCL, so it doesn't matter how). Santos, at home, is going to fly at Houston. Yeah, the Dynamo have a talented defense and the ability to counter, but this is the belly of the beast. No MLS team has been able to go there, in this kind of situation, and defend for 90 minutes well enough to sustain the lead.

Also, I didn't quite understand why teams were so gung ho in 2011 when we made the final. I mean, yeah, it reflects well on the league, but who really wants another MLS team to be the first that is a diehard MLS fan? I don't want any other MLS team to win this thing. All they would do is brag about how they are better than us (justified or not) in the big game.

Screw LA, Seattle, and Houston. I hope they all lose

Jasonma and UPinSLC repped this.
  15. RSL GO YES

RSL GO YES Member

Feb 6, 2013
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Has this changed?

16. Hungryjack

Hungryjack Member+

Jul 8, 2006
    Houston
    In the interest of accuracy, away goals do count* and the Dynamo advance with a 2-1 loss in Torreon. OK, no need to wear out my welcome in here. I'm out.

* taken from http://www.concacaf.com/staticFiles/b8/b8/0,,12813~178360,00.pdf

Phase 2: Championship Stage
    In the event that the two teams are tied on aggregate goals scored at the end of Regulation time in the 2nd Leg of the Championship Stage, the following tiebreaker criteria shall be applied, in order, to determine the winning team.
    • Greater aggregate number of away goals scored in regulation time in the two matches (excluding any goals scored in overtime)
    • Greater number of goals scored in the overtime periods at the end of the second match
    • Kicks from the Penalty Spot procedure (as per FIFA Laws of the Game)

15 to 32 and BalanceUT repped this.
  17. Bulldog SLC

Bulldog SLC Member

May 4, 2012
    Salt Lake City
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I almost agree with what you're saying...I think that once an MLS team wins it one time, then this attitude will go away. I want Houston to win it. I would like to see MLS get a little more respect internationally. With LA, I'm like meh. No way in hell do I want Seattle to win it.

BalanceUT repped this.
  18. SenordrummeR2

SenordrummeR2 Member+

Jul 21, 2008
    Layton, UT
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I was hoping Houston would score again on the counter right after they scored, but an errant pass screwed the pooch. Houston really needed that second goal.

Seattle beat Santos 2-1 at home last year, but then got smoked 6-1 in the return leg. I see the same thing happening to Houston. As much as I dislike Houston, I'd like to see them move on in the tourney. Any MLS team that progresses in the tournament is good for the league. Yes, I understand the whole die-hard fan doesn't want another team to win angle, but the league really needs to win the cup. It will gain more recognition for the league, and help attract more up and coming players. Putting more emphasis on the tournament will help raise the cup's status in CONCACAF. Why do players want to go to Europe? To play on the big stage and in UEFA CL. If the UEFA CL hadn't risen to its current status, do you think kids would still be dying to play on those teams? I don't, but maybe I'm off the mark here. If the CCL can increase its status, it'll only increase the desire for players to come to MLS. You'd be kidding yourself if you didn't say RSL's championship run didn't increase our status and aid in recruiting players. Playing against the federation's best teams in front of sold out crowds, that's what is going to increase the league's status and bring rising stars here.

15 to 32 and BalanceUT repped this.
  19. 2nd Mouse

2nd Mouse Member+

Apr 11, 2012
    Salt Lake City, UT
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    You're not wearing out your welcome, you're just paying too much attention to Mr. Crankypants. The input is appreciated (by most of us)

20. BalanceUT

BalanceUT RSL and THFC!

Oct 8, 2006
    Appalachia
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I understand that sentiment, but I disagree. Anything that makes the league look better makes each team in the league look better. I went to Georgia Tech, I cheer for Georgia Tech first, but I cheer for all of the ACC second and all of the teams on Georgia Tech's schedule third. The reason is this: If Georgia Tech wins, then if all the other teams that Georgia Tech is compared to wins, then Georgia Tech looks even better.

Same thing for RSL. Suppose that Houston wins the CCL this year and gets to the MLS Cup final against RSL. Then an RSL victory makes RSL look even better because we beat the regional champion in the big game. If Houston gets knocked out against Santos, or anywhere along the line, but is in the MLS Cup championship against RSL, RSL's victory would not be as impressive.

PumaJohnny and SenordrummeR2 repped this.
  21. Blitzz Supporter

May 23, 2004
    Centerville
    They could call them the San Diego Odiamos Gringos.

Taragui, Ivensor and 15 to 32 repped this.
  22. 15 to 32

15 to 32 Straw Hog

Jul 1, 2008
    Salt Lake
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I have no problem with the Houston fan - in fact I really appreciate the clarification on the rule. It wasn't that way when we played in it last time, right?

My angst was directed at this notion that I, as a fan of a MLS team, should cheer for another MLS team to succeed in a tournament that we so bitterly crashed out of. That final still haunts me as a fan. That feeling of being do damn close to getting the biggest piece of silverware this side of the atlantic and north of the equator.

I don't want another MLS team to win. It doesn't mean I don't want this league to grow. That these two things have become intertwined is understandable but not required.

23. SenordrummeR2

SenordrummeR2 Member+

Jul 21, 2008
    Layton, UT
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The rule was in place when we made it to the final. That was why a 1-1 score at RioT would've been a win for RSL. All we needed was that one goal, and Fabi shanked it! <said like the singer from Suicidal Tendencies>

15 to 32 repped this.
  24. InterPool

InterPool Member

May 28, 2008
    Utah
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

TOE POKE