More "Brain Salad Surgery "-Other TeamsThread

Discussion in 'Arsenal' started by total_football, Nov 21, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. NorthBank

NorthBank Member+

Arsenal; NYRB
    United States
    Mar 29, 2006
    Connecticut
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Shit happens once in awhile. A little NBA talk isn't bad as long as we switch back to footy pretty quickly.

I was more astonished at those banners at Ajax. I know Amsterdam is a VERY liberal city (as the banners allude to themselves) but how can they get away with this? With thousands of people of all ages, sexes & religions in the stadium? With millions on TV? Astonishing is the only word I can find.

2. And_ROOS

And_ROOS Member+

Dec 30, 2006
    Melbourne, Aus
    That said it is fun watching him implode at tournaments.

Penalty crazy in CSKA v Bayern. But man hasn't Honda gone off the boil since he didn't get his move to Milan.

3. Jamooky

Jamooky Member+

Mar 24, 2006
    Cleveland, OH USA
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I've only watched this one in passing (as we're furiously cleaning the house before the holiday here in the States). Always unique to see the sport played in extreme cold.

4. darcgun

darcgun Member+

Jan 11, 2008
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Seems Jose's return to Chelsea is not going to plan lol..

I have a feeling he'll win the league cup though.

5. Gunning4Chelsea

Gunning4Chelsea Member+

Aug 2, 2005
    chicago
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    just now

play on player

6. Tonerl

Tonerl Member+

Arsenal
    May 10, 2006
    Cincinnati, OH
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Real's (far from first choice) midfield three is pretty tantalizing right now, and they're all under 24.

7. Tonerl

Tonerl Member+

Arsenal
    May 10, 2006
    Cincinnati, OH
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Nice take, Bale. :ROFLMAO:

8. And_ROOS

And_ROOS Member+

Dec 30, 2006
    Melbourne, Aus
    No really interesting match ups tonight unlike yesterdays match day.

9. leepyswetr

leepyswetr Member

Nov 4, 2003
    Chicago
    Just wait until tomorrow.

10. DaPrince84

DaPrince84 Member+

Aug 22, 2001
    MD
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    when you got mad

11. And_ROOS

And_ROOS Member+

Dec 30, 2006
    Melbourne, Aus
    Tromso IL vs Tottenham Hotspur, for those of you who who are unfamiliar with them, they are a small team from North London :D

AfrcnHrbMan, s7kru and thebigman repped this.
  12. IU Gooner

IU Gooner Member+

Feb 8, 2009
    Chicago
    NBA talk is always awful.

WoodDraw repped this.
  13. Serengeti_Boy

Serengeti_Boy Member+

Sep 15, 2009
    Serengeti, East Africa
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Tanzania
    Soldado gets no support at all. Its true what they say, their midfielders are all selfish.

14. darcgun

darcgun Member+

Jan 11, 2008
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Funny that Fulham have made more mark in the Europa League than Spurs has of late.

15. Tonerl

Tonerl Member+

Arsenal
    May 10, 2006
    Cincinnati, OH
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Soldado is shit off the ball, though. Service is impossible to provide if your striker doesn't know where to run.

s7kru repped this.
  16. s7kru

s7kru Red Card

Dec 13, 2012
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Even without support he's just useless.

In modern football a striker needs to do more than only wait for the other players to support him, Soldado does nothing most of the time.

The awkward moment when you're best players are the ones that weren't signed (at Spurs). :speechless:

17. darcgun

darcgun Member+

Jan 11, 2008
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Just hoping they lose against United on Sunday. Seems Andre would be under real pressure then haha..

18. total_football

total_football Member+

Apr 2, 2002
    Chicago
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nah a draw with maximum red cards would be just fine

The English Hacker repped this.
  19. darcgun

darcgun Member+

Jan 11, 2008
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    I think what's truly hurtful for Spurs is that we're top and playing the best football lol.. and that they were so confident they'd be better but it hasn't turned out as planned.

20. darcgun

darcgun Member+

Jan 11, 2008
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Also, Pookspur, what's your view on what's happening? I'm not rubbing it in, just genuinely curious.

21. pookspur

pookspur Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 3, 2001
    Indiana
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    pure speculation, of course, but i'm afraid he's lost the dressing room. it's not getting better - just the opposite - and the players don't appear to buy into what he's wanting them to do anymore. if that's true (and it may not be), the handwriting's on the wall.

the football was poor last year, no doubt - but 72 points is a decent return, particularly for a manager who wants to play a certain system, but without his own players. so taking a 'glass is half full' perspective from last season was pretty easy to do. but he's been given a hundred-plus million quid to spend (the only window in which that will ever happen for us), and the football looks just the same ... minus one gareth bale to single-handedly pull us out of the fire every other week.

you can give us stylish, attractive football without results, and keep most fans in line. conversely, you can play ugly stuff and win without too much complaint. good stuff and winning would be brilliant*, but Bill Nicholson's dead. ugly stuff without results, however, will not fly at spurs. and both style and results are moving in the wrong direction at the moment. a bad loss v man u at home this weekend and the knives will be out.

the "I told you so"s that i'll be throwing around on our boards may make this the only bigsoccer forum i'm welcome on in a few weeks time. :D:(

*no wenger/arsenal comments here, please.

Romfordray, Super Llama and charlie15 repped this.
  22. charlie15

charlie15 Member+

Mar 9, 2000
    Bethesda, Md
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

I still hope you guys can pull a result against MU. That way it will be a win win. United mini run will be stopped and a victory will guarantee that AVB will be around for at least the next few games .:)

The English Hacker repped this.
  23. Romfordray

Romfordray Member+

Oct 24, 2011
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    @pookspur

So do you want the manager to be replaced at this point? Or give him until the end of this season to sort things out? I think the talent is there no matter what others might say. I just think it is a case if too many chefs trying different recipes.

24. lamb

lamb Member+

Sep 3, 2004
    Larne, N.Ireland
    i don't get avb.

i get that he might not know his best team
    i get that he needs another striker
    i get that he wants to play a certain, fixed way and needs to keep at it for it to gel
    but
    why so many changes from week to week? that can't settle anyone.
    why not try harry kane or dafoe, since it seems obvious adebayor will never play again bar an emergency? surely he can only wait so long for soldado to click
    why has capoue hardly seen the field considering avb chops and changes so much every single game? he has changed the centre pair a few times. capoue has been fit for weeks and weeks now.
    why is he persisting with dembele so much? to me, he hasn't looked like doing it at all
    why not shuffle his tactics around when things obviously aren't going well with the setup he prefers? he will have to pick either his ability to change tactics or personnel, but sticking with tactics that aren't working and changing personnel so much is a double whammy in terms of a settled side. the extent of changes of player is not giving the onfield stability for his setup to work. it's just too much.

25. DaPrince84

DaPrince84 Member+

Aug 22, 2001
    MD
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    he's not that good of a manager and is being found out.

He stay trying to shoehorn players and then buys someone to replace them when they dont fit. He sucks.

On top of that, he has a cantankerous attitude. At least with Mourinho, he can inspire his players. I dont see that with Villas-Boas.