More "Brain Salad Surgery "-Other TeamsThread

Discussion in 'Arsenal' started by total_football, Nov 21, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. DaPrince84

DaPrince84 Member+

Aug 22, 2001
    MD
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    They are two very similar players. It's a push for me.

My whole point is that Arsene was right not to sign Vertonghen.

2. charlie15

charlie15 Member+

Mar 9, 2000
    Bethesda, Md
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    If I understood correctly, Vertonghen wanted to have a guaranteed starting role and Arsene was not willing to do so, hence he went to the Spurs. In any case, he is no better than Kos or Per.

3. gunner7

gunner7 Member+

Jul 27, 2008
    Sunshine California
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  4. Tonerl

Tonerl Member+

Arsenal
    May 10, 2006
    Cincinnati, OH
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think I also remember reading that Wenger wanted to play him in midfield and he wanted to play in defense.

Either way, while I think he's a good player I agree with Prince that he doesn't help this team. We're better at left back and better in the middle than we would be if he were put in place of Gibbs or Koscielny, and Vermaelen is at least as capable as a backup center half.

5. Scally

Scally Member+

Aug 29, 2006
    Rep. of Ireland
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Ireland Republic
  6. thebigman

thebigman Member+

May 25, 2006
    Birmingham
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    wondered why spurs bought in 50 am and no defenders! all of them are inside players or guys who cut in too lol

would take lamela though, townsend is a prospect and sandro is a beast

but other than that.....

7. Boogie_Down

Boogie_Down Member+

Jul 7, 2010
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  8. DaPrince84

DaPrince84 Member+

Aug 22, 2001
    MD
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    Townsend is an idiot

Would want nothing to do with him

9. thebigman

thebigman Member+

May 25, 2006
    Birmingham
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    he's young and pacey with a good left foot, can be a nice inside forward

can't blame him for spurs as they have too many people clogging up central space

10. darcgun

darcgun Member+

Jan 11, 2008
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    lulz..

100 million pounds and Spurs:

- Are lower than Soton even
    - Laughed at us for not spending and losing to Villa but then have little quality depth, have not had their players "gel" yet even though the season is almost half-complete.
    - Had so much confidence that this will be "their season" even though they have a tall order to win the League Cup, and haven't for several years made a mark in the Europa League when Fulham of all teams reached the final a few years ago lol..

11. darcgun

darcgun Member+

Jan 11, 2008
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Top four for him and Moyes at best.

12. darcgun

darcgun Member+

Jan 11, 2008
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Vermaelan is past it and should be sold.

Maybe an unpopular opinion, but it's just how I think.

13. Jamooky

Jamooky Member+

Mar 24, 2006
    Cleveland, OH USA
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    We used to have Squillaci & Silvestre as defensive cover. I feel much better with Verm as our backup CB.

14. darcgun

darcgun Member+

Jan 11, 2008
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Maybe, but Vermaelan has lost a lot of his initial quality. It's no coincidence IMO that our defence improved once he got dropped. Kos and Per are near world class centre backs now.

15. kanonier

kanonier Member+

Nov 7, 2005
    Bloomington, Ind.
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
  16. darcgun

darcgun Member+

Jan 11, 2008
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England

hehe.. :D

17. Sleepy Spaceman

Sleepy Spaceman Member+

Nov 6, 2011
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Mexico
    No, sir.

18. thebigman

thebigman Member+

May 25, 2006
    Birmingham
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    we should probably activate the minimum release....

19. NorthBank

NorthBank Member+

Arsenal; NYRB
    United States
    Mar 29, 2006
    Connecticut
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yaya Toure was great again today... man would he have been a huge asset had we signed him. And Citeh look like the scariest offensive team in the league right now, at least at home.

BUT this year the title seems ours for the taking, or at least for truly competing for it. First time in what 8 years? ManUre, $hittey & Chelski have all slipped up at the start of this year, whereas we've had our best start in ages. Liverpool is hard to imagine sustaining their form, but you never know.

Of course with our squad, it's a big ask to sustain this over 26 more rounds. Still early days. Injuries will obviously be a huge factor. Wenger always talks about consistency and now he's got his chance to deliver.

20. And_ROOS

And_ROOS Member+

Dec 30, 2006
    Melbourne, Aus
    United look truly awful. Its a shame we ********ed it up and didnt roll them by 3 or 4 at home and really put the pressure on Moyes.

21. NorthBank

NorthBank Member+

Arsenal; NYRB
    United States
    Mar 29, 2006
    Connecticut
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    A shame yes, except that they outplayed us, outhustled us, wanted it more. As bad a start as they've had, they still have our number. Definitely a missed opportunity, but it puts things in perspective about where we really stand quality-wise. We need to be able to beat them, Chelsea & City if we can really challenge for the title.

22. darcgun

darcgun Member+

Jan 11, 2008
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    well had we had the bottle i think we could have won the 2008 and 2011 premier leagues. call this controversial, but cesc was a great player but poor captain for us.

23. NorthBank

NorthBank Member+

Arsenal; NYRB
    United States
    Mar 29, 2006
    Connecticut
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Could be. My memory is nowhere near that good to remember mid-year standings. Is there a website where you could show, for example, where Arsenal stood at the end of December in each of the last 10yrs? I didn't have time to hunt.

24. elessar78

elessar78 Moderator
    Staff Member

May 12, 2010
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Anyone see this Spurs-Citeh game? Spurs fans are giving AVB a lot of heat over this one but after conceding after 13 seconds, Spurs go on to control the game (apart from a few City breaks) for the next 33 minutes. In that span, only Aguero was the only viable City player.

Did anyone else see the match? Was it City's plan to sit back and hit on the counter after scoring very early?

As I saw it, Spurs problems had little to do with tactics. They turned the ball over a lot in the attacking third, often off the dribble. And there was a glaring lack of movement from their front players

Then goals two and three for Citeh came from some poor marking in the back. It seems more of a lack of technical quality than anything tactical. Thoughts?

25. kanonier

kanonier Member+

Nov 7, 2005
    Bloomington, Ind.
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    It's because they're all givers, not receivers -- if you know what I mean. All of those guys want to make the killer pass - what they need are some runners who want to get in position to GET the killer pass. We've had this problem before, too.

DaPrince84 repped this.