News: Montreal sign first Designated Player in Marco Di Vaio

Discussion in 'MLS: News & Analysis' started by EL MONO MARIO, May 24, 2012.

1. HailtotheKing

HailtotheKing Member+

San Antonio FC
    United States
    Dec 1, 2008
    TEXAS
    Club:
    San Antonio Scorpions FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    They point was that it works both ways.

2. holiday

holiday Member+

Oct 16, 2007
    where does this leave corradi?
    and no, di vaio's arrival has nothing to do with match-fixing investigations. he's hardly the first player to head to mls at the tail end of his career. montreal already has three former serie-a players.

3. Laurentt

Laurentt New Member

Feb 5, 2012
    Club:
    Montreal Impact
    MDV's Agent confirmed Inter Milan had significant interest in MDV, But Marco decided he wanted to try out a new experience out here in North America, a new type of game, and culture for his family. (As per Matteo Ferrari, Impact CB) Marco is even contemplating making Montreal a year-long city to live in, and not returning to Italy during the offseason.

De Santis has been on Di Vaio eversince Montreal got the MLS Franchise. He made a list of criterias that were required to fit a DP in the MLS. Di Vaio fit the bill since day one. They never thought that he would want to come to North America, but thanks to Matteo Ferrari & Bernardo Corradi along with dedicated ownership that went to meet up with him, they convinced him to give it a show.

Here's the Interview with Nick de Santis proving that Marco was not sung on the spur of the moment, and that hes actually been onto Di Vaio for around half a year. Made sure he was the right guy.

Management is planning on keeping Corradi. But its up to Bernardo because I think he has a few Serie B offers

4. holiday

holiday Member+

Oct 16, 2007
    tbh inter would have to be nuts to look at di vaio and it'd take a lot more than his agent saying so to make me believe it. which is not to say that the impact didn't put in a good bit of work in targeting di vaio.
    as for corradi, i thought i heard he was here on a short-term contract, so i thought the team was to decide. based on his production (1 goal not on pk) i didn't think he'd stick. di vaio is a much better player, provided he's not too old.

5. Laurentt

Laurentt New Member

Feb 5, 2012
    Club:
    Montreal Impact
    He was signed to a 3 Month contract. But his play drew some attention from Serie B squads. Since he has a young son and a wife out in Italy, it could be tempting foor him to go back. The team wants to keep him, but its up to Corradi to decide if he wants to stay or not. I honnestly think he will, hes a loyal guy it seems and proffesional. Will be thankfull to Montreal and re-sign IMO. He probably wont be a starter every game with Marco arriving. But he understands it. Marsch said hes a great teamate. Hes the kind of guy that will help everyone in practice and if chosen to be on the 18 man roster, will be happy, and if not, won't say a word

6. tyler storm

tyler storm Red Card

May 20, 2012
    Los Angeles
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    So these guys(Italians) speak English right?

7. Laurentt

Laurentt New Member

Feb 5, 2012
    Club:
    Montreal Impact
    Bernardo does. Not sure for Di Vaio, he just tweets in Italian :)

8. Le Zebre

Le Zebre Member

May 10, 2005
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    The whole old thing is getting so played out. If the guy continues to produce who cares if he's 23 or 36.

Here's a great quote

"Just last season, he played the most minutes of any outfield player in Serie A -- he only missed six minutes of the whole 3420 minute season! This year, his playing time has slightly diminished but it’s still excellent: 36 games played out of a possible 37, 31 from the start, and 2655 minutes played."

http://www.sportsnet.ca/soccer/2012/05/06/mls_montreal_impact_fc_dallas/

HailtotheKing and looknohands repped this.
  9. nicolasjames

nicolasjames Member

Sep 1, 2011
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
  10. KensingtonSC

KensingtonSC Still Lazy After All These Years

FC Vaduz / Philadelphia Union
    Jan 7, 2010
    Andalusia, PA
    Club:
    FC Vaduz
    That's really great to see that for a designated player's arrival. Impact fans did really well there.

11. chippybrady

chippybrady Member

May 22, 2012
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    maybe now we get more Impact games in TV rather than those awful TFC debacles

12. tyler storm

tyler storm Red Card

May 20, 2012
    Los Angeles
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    lol Canadian cops look funny. They look like American forest rangers with those hats

13. MTL_Club

MTL_Club Member

Feb 29, 2012
    Club:
    Montreal Impact
    haha yeah, but that's at the airport. You would not see cops like this in the streets of Montreal or most of the country

14. tyler storm

tyler storm Red Card

May 20, 2012
    Los Angeles
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    ahh I see makes sense.

Just saw the press conference videos, was really amazed at the use of 3 languages during this press conference. Apparently, it looks like Di Vaio doesn't speak English or French but at least he will have some time to learn the basics in order to communicate with his team mates. I like the way this franchise is progressing and hope they can bring some titles to Montreal.

anyone speak French and want to translate it? I understood the parts of the conference where Marsch and De Santis translated it to English

15. Sharmuta

Sharmuta Member

Nov 30, 2011
    Montreal
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Turkey
    He speaks a bit of french, he played for Monaco for 2 years. You can hear speak french during the press conference.

16. cloak

cloak Member

Aug 25, 2010
    Club:
    Toronto FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    BAM

17. DoctorD

DoctorD Member+

Sep 29, 2002
    MidAtlantic
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Agree that age shouldn't get any more publicity. BUT - it is fair to wonder about the recovery time is faster for younger players due to MLS' extensive travel time to games. The warm-up time needed after sitting in a plane for 4 hours may be less with younger players.

18. ElJefe

ElJefe Moderator
    Staff Member

Feb 16, 1999
    Colorful Colorado
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    He must like ice and snow.

19. StlSpursFan

StlSpursFan Member

Jan 29, 2008
    Da 314
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Russia
    MLS needs to be working the lines/emails like crazy right now and positioning themselves to move for potential players coming out of Italy if this match fixing thing is as big as people are saying.

20. holiday

holiday Member+

Oct 16, 2007
    i think the problems for a 36year old going up against guys maybe nine years younger is a lot more than the warm-up time in case you had a four hour flight. you can see the age factor in guys like frings, pardo, or beckham. on the whole, i'd rather watch younger players even if less established.