News: Montreal Impact name former Chicago Fire boss Frank Klopas as head coach

Discussion in 'MLS: News & Analysis' started by Fiosfan, Dec 18, 2013.

1. Mateofelipe

Mateofelipe Member+

Mar 10, 2001
    Spokane, WA
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I wonder how Canada is going to disappoint me this week.

2. fuzzx

fuzzx Member+

Feb 4, 2012
    Brossard
    Club:
    Montreal Impact
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    Well, TFC seem to be the most improved team in the league and have highly competent leadership.

We're like conjoined twins, the growth of one can only happen at the expense of the other :)

TheLostUniversity and RafaLarios repped this.
  3. milicz

milicz Member+

Dec 2, 2001
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    Poland
    Not many MLS coaches have had a better run winning percentage wise then Klopas. Considering the Fire had middling quality in terms of talent I think that's damn impressive. Klopas gets more out of guys, he's a players coach and players leave it all out on the field for him. I liked him in Chicago and was sorry to see him go, he was our best coach since Bob Bradley. I think he'll do just fine with the talent Montreal has.

Allez RSL, bunge and ji_shuheng repped this.
  4. fuzzx

fuzzx Member+

Feb 4, 2012
    Brossard
    Club:
    Montreal Impact
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
  5. gblfxt

gblfxt Member

Aug 24, 2009
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    i'm not sure what canadian teams expect out of a first year from a coach, MLS cup or coach is gone? in that case, shouldn't they only hire coaches that win cups's their first year?

6. profiled

profiled Moderator
    Staff Member

Feb 7, 2000
    slightly north of a mile high
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Chances he lasts until the 2015 season?

7. milicz

milicz Member+

Dec 2, 2001
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    Poland
    Depends on how they do in the playoffs.

8. RapidStorm

RapidStorm Member+

Jan 30, 2005
    Denver, CO
    I think you're slightly deviating from your original point about LigaMX, but whatever.

In fairness to Klopas, he did lead the Fire to the playoffs in 2012. And his career track record is 9 games over .500, which, while not mindblowing, isn't a bad resume item. It's only 20 games better than the career track record of a coach several pundits thought had a serious chance at Coach of the Year last year (Pareja). So I think he has a few more criteria than you credit him. Even if I'm not particularly impressed with Klopas's coaching ability.

But if you're going to panic-fire a guy like Schällibaum, I agree with you that Montreal should be setting the bar a bit higher for the next guy who gets the keys.

9. fuzzx

fuzzx Member+

Feb 4, 2012
    Brossard
    Club:
    Montreal Impact
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    The problem with Shallibaum wasn't that they didn't advance in the playoffs, it was the manner in which they did so.

At the supporters Assembly this evening (standing room only crowd of 600) DeSantis basically put all the blame for the late season slide, as well as the shameful performance in Houston on Shally's shoulders.

Kloppas said all the right things today. Much more so than last year, there are a multitude of indications that he'll be here for more than a season at least.

bunge repped this.
  10. EvilTree

EvilTree Member+

Canadian S.C
    Canada
    Nov 20, 2007
    Frozen Swampland, Soviet Canuckistan
    Club:
    Toronto FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    kinda feel bad for Schallibaum. he basically took all the blame, when NDS sucked just as much as he did. and if Mtl was going to fire him, why leave him hanging, at least publically, till now? shameful.

11. FrenFan

FrenFan Member

Jul 16, 2010
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    The problem with Klopas is that while his overall record on paper wasn't that bad, his record in games that mattered was abhorrent.

Simply put, Fire fans have examples from each of his past three seasons where the team fell flat in the big games or games they needed to win:

2011: U.S. Open Cup final at Seattle (Sort of give him a pass here because Seattle was better).
    2012: Fire round USOC upset by 4th Division Michigan Bucks, last month of the season, specifically final home game vs. DC to avoid Knockout Round game.
    2013: U.S. Open Cup semifinal home vs. DC, final game at New York, inconsistent performances the last two months of the season against opponents that Fire should have beaten.

Save the 2011 Open Cup final, in almost everyone of these games, the team was flat and looked unprepared. That has to come down to coaching at some point. I love Frank Klopas and his passion for the city of Chicago but unfortunately this is what I'll remember most about his coaching tenure at the Fire.

Perhaps Andrew Hauptman didn't help and there's no doubt that the combination of Leon and Petrei was a disaster but even with that, the last two seasons this team was better on paper than where it finished in the table. If Frank truly gets the most out of his players than they would have finished in the Top 3 in the East in 2012 and at the very least made the Knockout game this past season.

Editor In Chimp and fuzzx repped this.
  12. Editor In Chimp

Editor In Chimp Member+

Sep 7, 2008
    Of course, Klopas had a direct hand in bringing a lot of that middling talent to Chicago, so its hard to give him a free pass there.

So, good luck with that, Montreal. Hope you like boring, skill-less midfielders.

13. SoccerPrime

SoccerPrime Moderator
    Staff Member

All of them
    Apr 14, 2003
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Isn't all about alluding the out-side trap? That will work, maybe, for one more year.

14. milicz

milicz Member+

Dec 2, 2001
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    Poland
    You can paint it that way, but it wouldn't be true. Those in Chicago know who was responsible for the busts that resulted in the middling talent I speak of.

15. milicz

milicz Member+

Dec 2, 2001
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    Poland
    You know I've read the same criticism about Kreis. Fact is Klopas took a team that was awful in 2011, turned them into a playoff contender and made the US Open Cup final, with the best player being injured (Grazzini). The Fire was in the hunt for the SS his second year, unfortunately we faded at the end of the year. It should have been expected since we so over achieved, we lost Pappa and Grazzini while Leon added a "DP" by the name of MacDonald. 17 wins with that team was miracle work.

2013 was a mixed bag, Leon replaced the injured Arne Friedrich so late that the hole the makeshift backline dug the team was too much for even MVP Magee to make up. Once Soumare incrementally improves the backline and Magee arrives the Fire post the best record in the league from June to the end of the year.

Like I said I think Klopas will do just fine with the talent Montreal has.

So we can interpret things in many ways, I don't think the Fire was much better than the Crew talent wise, we certainly had nobody close to Higuain pulling the strings, yet under Klopas we kicked ass June on.

bunge repped this.
  16. SoccerPrime

SoccerPrime Moderator
    Staff Member

All of them
    Apr 14, 2003
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think he will be decent in 2014, and get promptly fired by Saputo for not winning the Voyagers Cup or the MLS Cup or the CCL final or some other reason.

EvilTree repped this.
  17. MFG North Side

Nov 4, 2012
    Montreal
    Club:
    Montreal Impact
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada

DeSantis put together a team that was fighting for the SS race for 3/4 of the season. Then the melt down of catastrophic proportions ensued. Along the way, they dominated most of the better sides in MLS. Does a team capable of doing this go bad overnight? I think not. The problem here, is that they refused to turn over the roster even against weaker opposition, and key players predictably ran out of gas.

There were also signs of discontent within the locker room in the latter part of the season. Ultimately, Schallibaum paid the price. The real shame here is that DeSantis, despite his constant meddling keeps his job by reflecting his ineptness on who ever happens to be coaching the team.

Kloppas had the best winning percentage in the second half of the season, of any MLS team. Along with being named coach, he is also Director of player personnel. He's also locked in for 3 years, which shows that the club is willing to give him sufficient time to improve on whats already a decent foundation for a 3rd year club. Interestingly enough, Joey Saputo, who's never met a microphone he hasn't liked, was conspicuously absent at Kloppas's press conference. Has he finally taken the decision to step back from day to day operations?

18. bunge

bunge BigSoccer Supporter

Oct 24, 2000
    Funny, the same 2013 DC team that knocked Klopas' Fire out of the USOC knocked Jason Kreis' RSL out of the USOC as well.

fuzzx repped this.
  19. profiled

profiled Moderator
    Staff Member

Feb 7, 2000
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    So far it's not looking very promising, are there any signs that they're likely to turn their poor start around?

20. fuzzx

fuzzx Member+

Feb 4, 2012
    Brossard
    Club:
    Montreal Impact
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    Indeed.

It's still hard to say if Klopas is particularly responsible. Most of his roster choices are reasonable, and a few ones like playing Warner and Felipe all the time might be a collective decision.

This team is in tatters, but I can't see how firing another coach changes things any.

We need to transform our roster or find some diamonds in the rough, not much else we can do at this point.

edwardgr repped this.
  21. Daniel from Montréal

Aug 4, 2000
    Montréal
    Club:
    Montreal Impact
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    Yeah, everyone's going kinda nutzo in Montreal these days.

22. profiled

profiled Moderator
    Staff Member

Feb 7, 2000
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    I didn't mean to imply Klopas should be shown the door or anything like that, more just wanting to see what Impact fans thought of the decisions to let both Marsch go without being given a chance to actually build something.

I mean would the team be better off with Marsch now entering his 3rd season of building his team, or where they stand now with Klopas in charge, on their 3rd manager?

TheLostUniversity and Ismitje repped this.
  23. EvilTree

EvilTree Member+

Canadian S.C
    Canada
    Nov 20, 2007
    Frozen Swampland, Soviet Canuckistan
    Club:
    Toronto FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    eh. it is a huge speculation to debate whether Mtl would be better off with JM right now (what is JM doing nowadays?)

the reason for Mtl's suck is that they failed to heed to the warning signs of last season, and did not make adequate signings off season. Mtl was always a one trick pony of di Vaio and you see what happens when di Vaio gets cold and the key members of the team are too old. this is Nick de Sanctis problem, not necessarily a Klopas problem.

well, there is also Joey Saputo problem too, but that's another story

24. Daniel from Montréal

Aug 4, 2000
    Montréal
    Club:
    Montreal Impact
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    Joey Saputo tweeted that "changes are coming" yesterday.

Klopas will be gone this week IMHO, but then they need to find a way to get NDS out of the FO.

25. profiled

profiled Moderator
    Staff Member

Feb 7, 2000
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    At some point maybe he'll learn it's the constant change that is the problem, or the one making the changes...

sitruc, bunge and SoccerPrime repped this.