Montero reportedly loaned to Millonarios for 6 months...

Discussion in 'Seattle Sounders FC' started by MVsoccerDad, Jan 3, 2013.

1. JoeCelt

JoeCelt Member+

Jul 7, 2012
    Seattle
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    Bosnia-Herzegovina
    I just watched second half and Fredy was absent and kind of lazy on the field. # 19 from Millos, 21 yo, Pedro Franco looks really promising player.
    Pedro Franco

Pedro Franco

Pedro Franco

2. Bolivianfuego

Bolivianfuego Your favorite Bolivian

Apr 12, 2004
    Fairfax, Va
    Club:
    Bolivar La Paz
    Nat'l Team:
    Bolivia
    To be fair, Tijuana basically were all defending behind the ball. Pure bunker ball.

3. guelch27

guelch27 Member

Apr 7, 2008
    Bremerton
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It's not like you even liked Fredy though while he was here, Joe. He's been playing really well for them since the loan.

4. JoeCelt

JoeCelt Member+

Jul 7, 2012
    Seattle
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    Bosnia-Herzegovina
    I was writing about 2nd half of today's game and Fredy being non factor. There are games where he shines and than games where he disappears and him not being consistent treat to opposing goal is why I am not big fan of Fredy Montero. But looking at today's Sounders roster I must admit that I miss him! ;)

guelch27 repped this.
  5. asoc

asoc Member+

Sep 28, 2007
    Tacoma
    Did you watch the first half?

Fredy was the most dangerous player on the field for for the first half. Multiple headers and a bike attempt that was so close. If he could have just connected better it would have been a goal.

Millos midfield played like crap when they had time on the ball. So many bad passes when they weren't even pressured. Which is odd because they were able to get out of some very tight spaces with some nice passing at times.

So when the ball can never get to Montero, yeah, he won't be involved in the play. He wasn't playing the same type of role that he did in Seattle. He wasn't tracking back to help with possession and build up like he did in Seattle. That was the job of his forward partner. Montero was there to get on the end of crosses and rebounds.

6. pepinointer

pepinointer Member+

Mar 12, 2007
    Santiago de Compostela
    Club:
    Millonarios Bogota
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia
    Montero was hurt since the 30 minutes of the first time.....since there start to play very shy.....

people is very dissapointing with the team (especially with wason(monteros striker partner) and leudo) ......

other fact: millos have 3 injured player in the midfield (all 3 are starters, one is the 10 and captain) .....millos, last season in sudamericana start losing the key agaisnt palmeiras and gremio, and then won.....

7. JoeCelt

JoeCelt Member+

Jul 7, 2012
    Seattle
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    Bosnia-Herzegovina
  8. Clenbuterol

Clenbuterol Red Card

Aug 25, 2011
    Club:
    --other--
    Huge match for Millos. Have to try and at least get a point after losing all three points at home.

9. JoeCelt

JoeCelt Member+

Jul 7, 2012
    Seattle
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    Bosnia-Herzegovina
    Montero was substituted in 60th minute by Perlaza. Pato scored 2nd goal!
    Corinthians 2 : 0 Millonarios

10. Vander Decken IX

Feb 13, 2011
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders

Geez, your defense sucks. I find it hard to believe that you are the Colombian champs, or was I just expecting too much from the Colombian league?

11. pepinointer

pepinointer Member+

Mar 12, 2007
    Santiago de Compostela
    Club:
    Millonarios Bogota
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia
    they played with the world cup champions......the best cb didnt played yesterday......the team is out of shape

12. EAB206BLUES

EAB206BLUES Member

Jul 19, 2007
    Seattle
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Tough two results for Millos to start the competition but far from over that's for sure they are pretty close to being in must win mode. San Jose next match day should be the opportunity to get some points, anything less than a win could be serious trouble.

13. Clenbuterol

Clenbuterol Red Card

Aug 25, 2011
    Club:
    --other--
    Luckily for Millos Colombian teams historically own Bolivian teams cause the altitude is not much of a factor. If they can take 6 points from San Jose they can get back into this.

14. guelch27

guelch27 Member

Apr 7, 2008
    Bremerton
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    You would think a team that plays in Bogota could play just about anywhere without issue. It's up around 9000 feet in that city. They should be cardio beasts where the air is a little thicker.

15. jr89436

jr89436 Member

Jun 24, 2011
    Interestingly, it is a little more complicated than that. Blood chemistry changes with extreme altitude changes in either direction, and can have major physiological effects starting at around 7000 feet or so of elevation change (smaller effects if it is only 5000 or so). However, it is easier going to higher pressure than lower pressure.

One of the big issues with sudden elevation changes is that the kidney becomes hyper-active as it attempts to adjust blood chemistry to stabilize pH etc due to changes in atmospheric pressure. This often makes it very difficult to properly hydrate until the blood chemistry stabilizes (usually 1-3 days).

Most soccer players are young and very fit, so they adjust relatively quickly. However, it should not be taken lightly; so-called "altitude sickness" is physiologically a big enough deal that it can make you gravely ill or, in extreme cases, kill you. The advantage high-altitude teams have is not just the lower oxygen levels but the fact that teams coming from sea level have bodies that don't hydrate well until their bodies have adjusted.

Bolivianfuego repped this.
  16. guelch27

guelch27 Member

Apr 7, 2008
    Bremerton
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    As a guy that climbs a lot of mountains, and has seen people suffer from altitude sickness I understand it. Generally though, going to a lower elevation is easier. It is also often times the cure for altitude sickness. Teams going to their stadium in Bogota could start seeing the effects of HAPE or HACE seeing how their above 8000 ft. I've never heard of serious issues going the other way.

17. Sounderzrule

Sounderzrule Member

Apr 6, 2009
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    I think people made too much out of Fredy's postseason play and there were two very huge reasons why it was stupid to let him go:

1: Small sample size. Our post season appearances didn't amount to enough games to legitimately say Fredy was bad for the team.

2: We don't HAVE any postseason appearances without Fredy in the regular season.

It's better to GET to the playoffs and worry if Fredy will be Fredy, than to miss them entirely because we have no offense.

guelch27 repped this.
  18. guelch27

guelch27 Member

Apr 7, 2008
    Bremerton
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I have to agree with Sounderzrule. If not for Montero we didn't make it past RSL this year possibly in the playoffs. He passed that lob to Martinez, and he also drew off Martinez's defender to where he could get that shot off. Fredy slowed down everything for the team to really move off the ball and he made people pressure him well outside the 18 yard box because he could hurt you from just about anywhere. I really am still not a fan of this move to this day. This is the first really bad move I think Hanauer has made.

19. jr89436

jr89436 Member

Jun 24, 2011
    On the other hand, Hanauer also signed Fredy to a long term contract concurrent with the loan. Unless some fabulous offer comes in, Fredy will play out his prime days in Seattle after his year in Colombia.

I like Montero, he has some ridiculous skill with the ball at his feet, but he is not the only way the club can win. That said, when the contracts of Rosales and Joseph come up at the end of the year Seattle will have plenty of space to bring Montero back in even if Martins is on the squad. Seattle could do far worse than having Martins, Montero, and Johnson(?) or some other DP on the squad in 2014. (A 4-3-3?) I'm pretty sure most MLS sides would happily take Montero, Martins, or Johnson off of Seattle's hands. It is a nice position to be in that there are so many high value players on the squad. Seattle has Alonso under contract and, let's be honest, he is a far more valuable player in his position than is reflected by his pay. Alonso could play in the top leagues in the world; he is absurdly good for MLS.

Seattle has a good thing going. They booted Tiffert but Tiffert is still telling the German media that Seattle is the only club in MLS that he would play for because of their quality. That is a nice endorsement; Seattle seems to have a pretty decent international reputation. Whether or not they can deliver in league play, they seem to be considered the among the class of the league internationally. Kind of like RBNY but not that cynical.

20. JoeCelt

JoeCelt Member+

Jul 7, 2012
    Seattle
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    Bosnia-Herzegovina
  21. Sounderzrule

Sounderzrule Member

Apr 6, 2009
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    I'm glad other people see that too. He's the star of the team. No one else is missed more on this team than when Alonso is out. How the elite teams of the world haven't snatched him up from us is beyond me, but then, I never understood soccer contracts.

22. JoeCelt

JoeCelt Member+

Jul 7, 2012
    Seattle
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    Bosnia-Herzegovina
    Reason that Alonso is having trouble transferring to European Top League is that he can't get working visa in those EU countries because he is not playing for any national team. Run away from Cuba 6-7 years ago and waiting now to get approval from FIFA to switch to USMNT.

23. Yoshou

Yoshou Fan of the CCL Champ

May 12, 2009
    Seattle
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Looks like the loan of Montero to Colombia may have worked:

Bolivianfuego repped this.
  24. Yoshou

Yoshou Fan of the CCL Champ

May 12, 2009
    Seattle
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Hmm.. Tweet from Don Ruiz, how about a story from Mayers:

http://blogs.seattletimes.com/sound...-transfer-is-not-a-rumor-but-nothing-is-done/

I think the allocation money is the most interesting of the comments.. I'm not sure the Sounders are going to get any allocation out of this considering the DP rules that allow teams to recoup what they spent on a DP if they are sold.

25. evan eleven

evan eleven Member

Jun 4, 2009
    California
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    i wish we could take Fredy back and let Mario go... and play Fredy in midfield. or play Fredy at striker and Eddie in midfield? or Lamar? idk...
    it looks like we may lose both Fredy and Mario? at least then we'll have some cap space. but no DP slots open. hmm the salary cap is such a pain. :(