News: Monday, Nov 19, 2012

Discussion in 'MLS: News & Analysis' started by Fiosfan, Nov 19, 2012.

1. Fiosfan

Fiosfan Red Card

Mar 21, 2010
    Nevada
    Club:
    New York City FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  2. Sounders78

Sounders78 Member+

Apr 20, 2009
    Olympia
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    France
  3. Fiosfan

Fiosfan Red Card

Mar 21, 2010
    Nevada
    Club:
    New York City FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  4. Fiosfan

Fiosfan Red Card

Mar 21, 2010
    Nevada
    Club:
    New York City FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    this is getting too old... really.

footballfantatic repped this.
  5. fifty7

fifty7 Member

Oct 27, 2010
    Long Island
    Club:
    Everton FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Not even going to entertain Gardner at this point, but really, I think some issues could be assuaged by making a bigger deal out of the Supporters Shield (simultaneous kickoff on the last day of the season, more fanfare, larger trophy, on-field presentation, official title of "league premiers" like in Australia) and going to a group stage/one-game knockout format for MLS Cup.

ColinMcCarthy repped this.
  6. Etienne_72772

Etienne_72772 Member+

Oct 14, 1999
    Yeah, the playoff ranting IS getting old. I am one of the unfortunate that actually clicked on the link, and you still see the comments filled with the likes of "crown the regular season champs and leave it at that".

You want to see a league get even less respect and airplay than what we get right now? Get rid of playoffs.

As they are, sure they can get tweaked. But I happen to really like the drama created by them, and really get sucked into the matchups. I, for one, am somewhat disappointed in the MLSCup participants this year, but only because I really wanted to see Seattle in there and not LA again.

And here is something that every team should take to heart as they enter the playoffs. Want to win MLSCup? Dont' suck in the playoffs, not even one game. If you are to be the champion then bring it when it counts and don't suck. Simple, really.

I am really starting to lack any sympathy for the teams that have gotten eliminated. Boo hoo, no home field advantage. Boo hoo, we have injuries. Boo hoo, we didn't get enough rest. Stop bitching and stop sucking, and you will be in the final game.

SYoshonis, Len, Stupid_American and 2 others repped this.
  7. footballfantatic

Mar 27, 2008
    Ontario, California
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I actually thought the article was pretty good. I'm giving him some credit. It however could have done without the last 2 paragraphs though.

ColinMcCarthy repped this.
  8. Sounders78

Sounders78 Member+

Apr 20, 2009
    Olympia
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    France
    I stopped reading once he said that he likes playoffs but would have still been disappointed if it were a #2 v #3 (DC v Seattle).

Apparently, the only acceptable playoff scenario is one that ends with #1 v #1, in which case there is no point to having playoffs.

The headline should read "Old Man Yells at Clouds" and be done with it.

SYoshonis, xbhaskarx, Absolute and 4 others repped this.
  9. Fiosfan

Fiosfan Red Card

Mar 21, 2010
    Nevada
    Club:
    New York City FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  10. ColinMcCarthy

ColinMcCarthy Member+

Apr 2, 2010
    San Jose, CA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    The teams that do well in the playoffs are the teams with the fewest injuries to their starters. The key is staying injury free as its difficult to have a deep bench in MLS with the cap. Does anyone think the Galaxy would be anywhere near the final with Keane injured?

Gardner is right that it's going to be a boring, low scoring final.

11. PhillyMLS

PhillyMLS Member+

Oct 24, 2000
    SE PA
    [​IMG]

jdub3379 and Sounders78 repped this.
  12. Fiosfan

Fiosfan Red Card

Mar 21, 2010
    Nevada
    Club:
    New York City FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  13. btharner

btharner Member

Jan 22, 2007
    Selinsgrove, Pa.
    After 10 years, I have had enough of the two-legged playoffs. One and done, all the way through. LA would have still hosted the 1st rounder against Vancouver, but they and Houston would have had no luxury of having any more home playoff matches, which based on their regular season finish they did not deserve, sadly the regulations accomodated them both quite nicely.

14. sitruc

sitruc Member+

Jul 25, 2006
    Virginia
    I nearly asked..., but I'd be mad if I found I was hired to coach a fake team too.:p

I know there's a NASL team.

15. footballfantatic

Mar 27, 2008
    Ontario, California
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    MLS CUP WILL BE BECKHAM’S FINAL GAME WITH THE GALAXY
    By Ives Galarcep
    Soccer By Ives

16. Fiosfan

Fiosfan Red Card

Mar 21, 2010
    Nevada
    Club:
    New York City FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  17. carnifex2005

carnifex2005 Member+

Jul 1, 2008
    Club:
    Vancouver Whitecaps
    Good deal for the A-League. It's going to be interesting what MLS will be able to get in 2014 for their rights.

Australian A-League agrees new 4-year, $160M television rights deal with FOX Sports

THE A-LEAGUE will appear on free-to-air television for the first time next season as part of Football Federation Australia’s new four-year $160-million broadcast rights deal, announced in Sydney on Monday.

SBS will enter into a joint partnership with Foxtel that will allow the government broadcaster to show every Friday night A-League match live with all finals matches on a one-hour delay. All of Australia’s World Cup qualifying matches will also be screened on an hour delay.